Dynamically changing filename referenced by day

This is actually a friends problem but i will try and translate what
he said to me as i can.

He has said to me that he references a certain spreadsheet which
changes everyday. Everyday he has to manually select the referenced
file and asks how he can automate the task.

This is what he said to me:

"Basically the file name is called Highboard and its a collection of
12 panels on one screen each panel with different information. Now the
files I want to link it with are in the FB network drive, New Folders
and Pecs. Now each day a new sheet is created but the format is the
same and so what I think I'll need is to link the same cell to the
main dashboard sheet but for different days so in essence its real
time. Reckon its possible??"

Basically he wants to reference a cell in B from A, where the name of
B changes everyday and im guessin that it corresponds to the date!

As i dont have much experience with excel im hoping someone can help?
Thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Arun,

He can use INDIRECT function, which allows him to put the file name into a
cell and use it as a link in a formula.  The linked-to file must be open.
Or he can put the name into a cell (or somewhere) and have a macro build the
link in his formula using that name, in which case the file need not be
open.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Arun Hallan" <arun_hallan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is actually a friends problem but i will try and translate what
> he said to me as i can.
>
> He has said to me that he references a certain spreadsheet which
> changes everyday. Everyday he has to manually select the referenced
> file and asks how he can automate the task.
>
> This is what he said to me:
>
> "Basically the file name is called Highboard and its a collection of
> 12 panels on one screen each panel with different information. Now the
> files I want to link it with are in the FB network drive, New Folders
> and Pecs. Now each day a new sheet is created but the format is the
> same and so what I think I'll need is to link the same cell to the
> main dashboard sheet but for different days so in essence its real
> time. Reckon its possible??"
>
> Basically he wants to reference a cell in B from A, where the name of
> B changes everyday and im guessin that it corresponds to the date!
>
> As i dont have much experience with excel im hoping someone can help?
> Thanks

0
nowhere1083 (630)

Change Display Names in Exch '03 to Last,First
In Exchange 2000, you could use ADSI and scripts to change display names for contacts/users from firstname,lastname to lastname,firstname. However, I am working with a new client that has a 2003 Exchange server up and populated, but the GAL shows in firstname,lastname against his will. How can I change this so that the GAL is listed the way he wants without individually modifying each contact/user? -- Lydell Anderson A+, Net+, MCP, MCSA I don't see how it should be any different with Exchange 2003. Modifying the Display name will change how the GAL is displayed. You should be ...

Very slow to make changes in Excel 2007 sp2
I have a machine with Excel 2007 sp2 that when making changes takes a very long time... so if I bold or un-bold a cell it will take up to 30 seconds... once the change is made I can undo/redo and it is instant, but if I un-bold the same cell instead of undo it again takes up to 30 seconds. Is there a procedure to try and diagnose what is causing this? Thanks ...

changing style of legend
I'm trying to change the style of a part of the entry in the legend and to apply the original style - lik in the sheet (with uppercase and other styles what should I do? ...

Online history, more than 30 days?
I just started to use Money 2007, and successfully downloaded my banking history. It downloaded only the previous month, yet I know that the past six month are available from the bank. How do I request that money download more banking history? I tried downloading a .ofx from teh bank and importing that, but it seems to have made an aweful mess of the ledger with the final banking balances being way off. It seems cleaner if Money would just grab the old data. Any way? Thanks in advance. Mark Hello You have to shut the account off and reset it up if the information is there it will...

Change Pictures as Attachmnet
Since I've updated to Outlook 2002, everytime I send an e- mail and attach a picture, the picture is shown in the message, bigger that life. Before, when sending a picture with a message, the reciepient had to click on the attachment to open the picture. What do I have to do in order to send pictures in this manner? Thanks Craig ...

How to change name of an XML node
Hi, Is there any way to change the name of XML node? In the following xml, I want to change the node <FIELD_1> to <FIELD_ITEM> in all the places. Ex: <NewDataSet> <LOOKUP> <FIELD_1>First_Item113</FIELD_1> <FIELD_2>First_Item224</FIELD_2> </LOOKUP> <LOOKUP> <FIELD_1>Second_Item11</FIELD_1> <FIELD_2>Second_Item222</FIELD_2> </LOOKUP> <LOOKUP> <FIELD_1>Third_Item11</FIELD_1> <FIELD_2>Third_Item22</FIELD_2> </LOOKUP> </NewDataSet&g...

How to change controls by images
I found a lib at http://www.skincrafter.com/ , it is very cool. I want to do something like that. Look at codeproject/codeguru to get started. Here are some: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/skinstyle.asp http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/listview/backgroundcolorandimage/article.php/c4185/ ------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com > yr link, controls are created by that lib, not me. What does this mean? ------------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com This is really tricky, as you probably have figured out. You'll basically have to hook into the controls and recreate them look...

How do I extend or change the CRM Duration limit?
I have a client that has maintenance evolutions that take from 15-30 days. Each time we try to schedule an activity, CRM gives an error stating that the duration is not valid. It appears that CRM has a 10 day limit on duration. Does any one have a work around for this feature? Or is there a way to reset the duration limit to be higher? As far as I know, the 10 day limit is hard-coded into the CRM platform and there's no way of changing it. However, despite the message, you can still save the activity. Otherwise the only workaround is to split the activity into smaller ones of n...

Worksheet Change Event #2
I saw a forum response a while back that will allow programming the cursor to move to certain cells as the user enters data. I cannot remember how that was done. Can someone refresh my memory? This time I will copy the information into my own little help file. -- DCSwearingen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DCSwearingen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21506 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474829 The code may have used the worksheet_change event. Here's ...

Update dynamically appended MDI menu
I am trying to dynamically append a menu to MDI Doc/View's menu. Everything is ok except that the menu doesn't get refreshed till I move/minimize (etc.) the main App's window. Kindly suggest as to how to make it visible as soon as the child window gets visible. Seems AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd->UpdateWindow(); isn't working either :o( CMenu *pMainMenu = AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd->GetMenu(); // Assuming that we have a qualified CMenu object pointer // called 'pChildMenu', let's append it to the main menu: pMainMenu->AppendMenu(MF_STRING|MF_POPUP , (int...

How to change saving directory for my contact list?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change saving directory for my contact list? I am using XP with SP3 and Outlook Express, my system is installed on C drive, whenever I retore my system on C drive, my contact list is gone, is there any approach to relocate my contact list into D drive, so I still can keep my contact list after my system is restored. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric > ...is there any approach to relocate my contact list into D drive Only if you move your entire message store to the D drive (which better not...

Recipient Address Template Changes
Nothing of major urgency, but just something that I cannot get to work ... I run SBS 2003 (with Exchange 2003). Go into System Manager - Recipients - Details Templates - English and double click User. Go to the Templates tab and click Test to see the currently used address template. Now let's say I want to make some minor changes to this such as changing Zip Code to Postcode, or changing Pager to Mobile, etc. I make the changes, then click Test to check all is ok. However, my clients who are running Outlook 2003 in cached exchange mode NEVER get these address template changes. You ...

Dynamic creation of popup menu for the quicklaunch toolbar
Hello, I've created applications that have customized menus and other applications that have minimized to the toolbar and provided a context menu. I've wanted to combine those two ideas in a new project and the application keeps crashing while processing the popup menu. I need to figure out how to create a proper CMenu when the application is minimized. I had started with a CMenu::LoadMenu call to define minimal menu that contained the show and exit commands. I then tried to use CMenu::InsertMenu to attach some additional commands for the menu that are defined in the applica...

Proper Upgrade? from Dynamics GP 8.00g34
What is the most current upgrade that we can go to from where we are now - Dynamics GP 8.00g34 - to todays most current product. And Where do we start in Customer Source to do such an upgrade? -- Clay Tait Tait Distributors The latest version out is GP 9.0. AS service pack for 9 had not been released yet. Here is a link on Customer Source to the upgrade information. https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/installationandsetupguides/gpupgrade.htm?printpage=false -- www.fmtconsultants.com "Clay Tait" wrote: > What is the most current upgrade ...

Dynamics CRM 4.0: Virtual PC Image (RC0 Release)-Last Modified 18/11/2007
https://mbs.microsoft.com/Cms/Templates/document/General.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={78370CDE-2EA2-439C-8A03-3C690992D044}&NRORIGINALURL=/partnersource/products/mscrm/newsevents/news/CRM4VPCImageRC0Release&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&wa=wsignin1.0 -- Aamir http://danishmscrm.blogspot.com/ ...

Excel graphs not updating when source data is changed
Good day, I have observed an interesting problem with Excel 2003, in that the excel charts (any type) do not update when the source data is changed when one has a large excel workbook (I am currently at 160 MBytes). This is a new behaviour that appeared when I surpassed 65,536 or more dependencies to unique references (the level or number of links between formulas). Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James ...

excel changes numbers
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC When I enter a number Excel automatically changes it to a decimal. I enter one, it changes it to 0.01. I have specified the cell format to &quot;number&quot;, it is not currency or percentage. Very annoying, I have to enter all my numbers as multiple of 100 to get the right number to display. As answered just yesterday & numerous times before: http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Excel/6389 On 3/2/10 3:10 PM, in article 59bb3bcc.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "amullin@officeforma...

Default view for New message has changed to Web View
I am using Outlook 2000 SR1 in Win98. Recently I have noticed that when I start a new message from the Outbox the default view has changed from "normal view" to "web view". It is a minor irritation compared with other problems listed on this site. But I would greatly appreciate advice on fixing this mutation. Thank you, Ron ...

How can I change color of all outgoing email?
Our IT guy has told us we have to limit each project to one folder in our outlook .pst file. So for project XXX I have to put all incoming and outgoing email in the same folder w/out subdividing folders below. I'd like to be able to visually separate incoming from outgoing and I thought one easy way would be to change the color of any email that went through the Sent Items folder. Once email was in the Sent Items folder it would change colors so that when I put them with the other incoming emails in the project folder the black emails would be incoming and the colored would be outgoing...

Changing the Excel color palette
I want to be able to set the RGB value for a fill color in a macro. The color palette does not have the soft pastels I want to use. The problem stems from the fact that changes to the color palette don't carry over if I open the worksheet on another computer. So using the ColorIndex(3) doesn't work. I would like to do something like ColorIndex(3)= RGB(223,156,78). Any ideas?? Thanks, Don Don Does Sub RGBColour() Range("A1").Interior.Color = RGB(223, 156, 78) End Sub Help? -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_ho...

Change Manager for user
crm3.0, Alan is the manager of Philip. But now, Margaret is the manager of Philip Then I logon to CRM as administrator and open the user of "Philip", but I cannot change the manager of Philip. Why? Oh I got it. Cannot change from the user form, but can change from the list. "Goldensun" wrote: > crm3.0, Alan is the manager of Philip. But now, Margaret is the manager of > Philip > > Then I logon to CRM as administrator and open the user of "Philip", but I > cannot change the manager of Philip. > > Why? ...

how do I change time data to numerical result
I am trying to create a roster spread sheet to calculate amount of hours and cost. I would like to know how to change my result from formula. i.e. 8h:30min to 8.5 hours? If your data is truly in the format of hh:mm, then simply multiply by 24, and format the cell as number or General. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "J. Gorman" <J. Gorman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Making changes in a drop down list
I have edited the Accounts form to reflect different payment terms/options. I have saved the form, but the change does not appear when I go to fill out a new account. I have checked the XML of the form and the changes are there but never appear. What am I missing? Publish your changes with CRM Deployment Manager (Root - Right Click - Tasks - Publish ) Then restart IIS. ...

How to change tick mark labels in z axis from values to texts?
I am drawing a column chart for the dynamic scales in a music piece. Data value in the z axis refers to other customary names (texts). For example, 7 represents ff (fortissimo), 6 represents f (forte), 5 for mf (mezzo forte), etc. I want to show these customary names instead of the values in the labels. Could anybody teach me how to change these tick mark labels in z axis from values to texts? One correction. The labels I want to change is in the Y axis. Thanks. "Flroa" wrote: > I am drawing a column chart for the dynamic scales in a music piece. Data > value in the z...

Log changes to Excel file
Is there any way to keep a track of changes made to an Excel file? I need to make a file that is open for changes to several people. But, I need to keep track of who changes what when. My ideal is to have a kind of logfile that keeps track of the user, the time he edits what, and even if he saves the changes. Is this possible? Thanks If you share the workbook you can track changes. From help on track changes "History worksheet Excel can display a separate worksheet that provides full details in list form, so that you can filter to find changes of interest and print the infor...