Duplicating parts of a worksheet

I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date
description, purchase order, and expense amount).   I want to summariz
from this worksheet all of the expenses by account.

I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list
but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account tha
lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount.  Is ther
a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This sounds like a job for a Pivottable.

You can create a nice summary report based on your master worksheet.

Then you can drill down into any of those pivottable total fields and show the
rows of data that were used to make this total.

If you want to learn more about pivottables, here are a few links.

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

====
I think I'd do the pivottable stuff--it's very quick after you spend a little
time learning.  But I wouldn't separate my data.

But I would apply Data|filter|Autofilter to the range so I could filter by just
the stuff I wanted to see.

And if you use =subtotal(), you'll see that it only applies to the visible
cells.  (It ignores the rows hidden by the autofilter.)

"msherman83 <" wrote:

> I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date,
> description, purchase order, and expense amount).   I want to summarize
> from this worksheet all of the expenses by account.
>
> I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list,
> but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account that
> lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount.  Is there
> a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Worksheet properties
Hello, For some strange reason....all new worksheets that I insert into a workbook seem to right-to-left orientation. So the A column is located on the right hand side and the b column is located to the left of the a column. Does anyone know if this is a setting from the menu or an object that needs resetting in vb? thanks,Matt Matt, Look at Tools - Options - International - Default direction. I think this is only for a new workbook. Doesn't change existing ones. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Matt...

Printing all worksheet names
Does anyone know if it possible to print a list of worksheet names? A list similar to the one you would find in the "Contents" tab of the files' Properties. Thanks for any help you can provide. Programme - XP Excel Hi This topic was covered lately in microsoft.excel.worksheet.functions NG (thread 'print sheet tab names' started by JDB at 06.01.2004 16:00). Here is the solution from me: Create an UDF --- Public Function TabByIndex(TabIndex As Integer) As String Application.Volatile TabByIndex = Sheets(TabIndex).Name End Function --- On some empty worksheet,...

Link Rows Between Worksheets
Hi- I am trying to link rows (that are infinitely long in terms of data) between two different worksheets so that I dont have to retype all of the data. (I want them to be active links, so that if the data changes, it will automatically update). Is there a way to do this? (The first worksheet is a master that has a whole lot of information, and I would like the other worksheets to reference rows from the original...) Thank you very very much.. In the other sheets you will have to set then up eg: in sheet2 select the cell you want then type an equals sign = got to master sheet and se...

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

Carrying From Worksheet to Worksheet
In Excel 2002 (10.4524.4219) SP-2, I have designed a worksheet based on IRS form Schedule D-1 to report capital gains. Because I have more than one sheet in the file, I would like to devise a formula that carries a total from one sheet to the next. Specifically, I would like cell F34 on any given sheet to be a running total of the figures in cells F8 through F31 on that sheet (which is easy enough to accomplish) PLUS (and here's where I'm stuck) the totals of cells F8 through F31 on all the previous sheets (or, the same thing said differently, plus the figure in cell F34 on every previ...

Email attempt bungled worksheet
OK, here's the scenerio. I decided to email my company timesheet to my home address so I could have it at home in case I could not make it in. So, from the File menu, I selected Send To Mail Recpient. The worksheet has a protected cell somewhere, so i got an error saying I would have to unprotect it to send it. No biggie. Now he's the aggravating part. Whenever I open my timesheet now it has the outlook tool bar, for lack of a better phase, stuck in there. It's quite annoying. I can't for the life of me find a way to get rid of it. I wish I could copy a screen shot, it the To:,...

Sorting problems with other worksheets!!!
I have a problem!!! First I have multiple worksheets in a workbook. And in one column that has some names. and the columns next to them has data which is yes/no go/ngo for each person. If I add a person it will update itself in each worksheet. But I need to sort it. So I sort it and it sorts fine in the worksheet I'm working in. But with the other worksheets it sorts it but the data for each person doesn't stay with the person... I hope I explained this problem to where someone can understand. PLEASE HELP!!! It used to happen when a column (in this example the one containing ...

Printing landscape worksheets with footer on left
I know that I must not be the first person to have this problem, but I cannot find a solution. I have a workbook that has 20 worksheets. The orientation varies between portrait and landscape. I need the landscape worksheets to print with the footer on the "left" side, so that when I put the entire report (workbook) together for presentation, all of the footers are on the bottom, like a book. I have tried merging the first column (A) and making it the footer with the font facing left, but it is difficult to make them print evenly on each sheet. I have also tried to cop...

duplicate supplier code
I have one supplier and two supplier codes. One is MTT and the other is MT. How do I -properly- convert all of the items from MT to MTT? How do I -properly- delete the vendor? I recommend that you get your Microsoft Partner to fix this one for you. Regards, Ivan Brebner "daytraitors" <daytraitors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C3AF6F6-52B7-4AD1-9DEF-322B6C4E9249@microsoft.com... >I have one supplier and two supplier codes. > One is MTT and the other is MT. > > How do I -properly- convert all of the items from MT to MTT? > > How do I -...

excel
I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that contains text like a customer name. Record your macro to include the File > SaveAs, then edit that line of code. Instead of ... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY2006" ..., you might use .... Filename:="\\FinancialReporting\FY" & range("B2").value ... "bossman tv" wrote: > I am trying to write a macro to save a excel spreadsheet and use a cell that > contains text like a customer name. ...

Why can't a primary key be duplicated?
Why can't a primary key be duplicated in Access? Because a primary key, by definition, identifies a unique record within a table. If it can be duplicated, then you don't have uniquely identifiable records in your table. -- Ken Snell http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/ "torijoshmom" <torijoshmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECB13770-C283-48A0-BC94-8374572F4E4E@microsoft.com... > Why can't a primary key be duplicated in Access? torijoshmom <torijoshmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why can't ...

ploting one cell from 10 worksheets into one chart
i am trying to figure out a way to plot one cell, lets say c-1 from 10 -30 worksheets, in one workbook; on one chart. Each worksheet is a date and each c-1 value is just a number. any help would help thanks alex n. alex.nazarchuK@unitedwater.com ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ You can plot each data point as a separate ser...

Duplicate spreadsheets opening
I'm having a problem with a certain file in Excel 97. When I open the file and select "Window" it shows that 2 spreadsheets were opened with the same name. Can anyone help with this? KC Close one of the windows and then save your document. It sounds like you saved the file once with two windows open. Andy. "KC" <karen.carlisle@valero.com> wrote in message news:2a76101c3925d$8411d1c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I'm having a problem with a certain file in Excel 97. > When I open the file and select "Window" it shows that 2 > spreadsheets we...

Link to Worksheet
As soon as I open my worksheet it open 'open dialog box' looking for file. It has peicharts, trendcharts and data, I don't know which one i linked. I want to remove the link, how can I -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Get a copy of Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm You'll be happy once again! "anupam <" wrote: > > As soon as I open my worksheet it open 'open dialog box' looking for a > file. It has peicharts, trendcharts and data, I don't know which one is > linked. I want to r...

Import/Export XML in protected worksheet
I developped an excel tool on which most of the cells are protected (and I need to keep them protected). I mapped an XML schema on all the worksheet entries. I would like to be able to import and export all these entries but Excel does not let me do that when the worksheet is protected. Can anybody help? ...

Duplicate Emails #9
I keep receiving the same emails over and over again. Sometmes they are on the same day; other times a few days later. I have Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123 and Norton Antivirus. Thanks ...

Can you print specific worksheets?
Hi everyone, I have 15 worksheets in my workbook, but i just want to print specific worksheets. Is it possible to specify which worksheets you want to print to save me having to print the whole workbook? Many thanks, Rodney You can print each sheet individually (15 separate print) or Select the sheets (click on the first sheet and ctrl-click on the subsequent sheets) then File|Print Rodney wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > I have 15 worksheets in my workbook, but i just want to print specific > worksheets. Is it possible to specify which worksheets you want to print to > ...

Opening an Excel 2002 worksheet in Excel 2003
I created a spreadsheet using Excel 2002 (XP). I need to open that spreadsheet using Excel 2003. When I try to open the 2002 spreadsheet in Excel 2003, I can only see a portion of the spreadsheet and cannot scroll. I could copy and paste each sheet from the 2002 spreadsheet to a new 2003 spreadsheet, but I cannot even see the tabs at the bottom. How do I open the 2002 spreadsheet in Excel 2003? I do not see a way to convert from the 2002 format to 2003. Thanks. BT AFAIK, it should?? open fine if 2002 wb saved as microsoft excel workbook.xls. Try saving immediately upon opening. ?? -...

Anyone know PBDA Spec 1.3.1 Part 3 License Package Hash Algorithm
I studing Protected Broadcast Driver Architecture (PBDA 1.3.1) Part 3 : WMDRM on PBDA. Who know section 3.14.3 "License Package" License_package_hash uses what hash algorithm ? ...

many duplicate emails
I have trouble where recipents will receive the same mail that was sent last week. Sometimes as many as 60 of the same messages. It happens when I first mount the store and if I dismount and remount the store it will repeat those 1500 messages again. Once it sends the messages (or I delete the queue) it seems to run fine until it is restarted again. Of course restarting the server has the same effect and sends them out again. I have a Win2003 SP1 Server with Exchange 2003 SP1. Most users (~60) are on the mailbox store but ~20 are still on pst files. The clients are either OL 2003 or...

Duplicate Contacts mess
The pc has Office/Outlook 2003 with one user. It was originally configured, for some reason to do with importing, with several data files. To simplify I moved all the messages within Outlook then hid the extra data files in Data File Management. The problem is that there are two Contacts lists. I have it so that one pops up when the Address Book icon is pressed but when I do Rt-Clk Add to Contacts it gets added to the other one, which I assume is part of one of the other .pst files. When I look at the dialogue that is supposed to display a list of Contact folders none is displaye...

Duplicating parts of a worksheet
I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date description, purchase order, and expense amount). I want to summariz from this worksheet all of the expenses by account. I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account tha lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount. Is ther a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This sounds like a job for a Pivottable. You can create a nice summary repor...

loop through all worksheets
My workbook has over 100 worksheets. I want to be able to execute the code below, have it cycle through all worksheets and when done leave the worksheet that was active when the code was started active. Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim n As Single For n = 1 To Sheets.Count With Sheets(n) .Activate .Range("A3").Activate End With Next n Application.ScreenUpdating = True Sub LoopAllWS() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim wsStart As Worksheet Set wsStart = ActiveSheet For Each ws In Worksheet With ws 'No nee...

Hyperlinks with hidden worksheets
Good afternoon all, I have a workbook containing several worksheets. I have included an Introduction Worksheet with Hyperlinks to each sheet. However, I would like to be able to have the worksheets hidden (or very hidden), except the Introduction sheet, until the Hyperlink is clicked, then that sheet is activated, and when exited (by command button), this sheet becomes hidden again, and returns the user to the Introduction sheet. I hope I have expalained this well enough. I have some knowledge of VBA,( I have already set up the Command Buttons on the worksheets). Any help on this matter wou...

Attachng a Macro to a worksheet/book
I have created a spreadsheet that contains a macro to perform certain calcuations and functions. However, it ony works on my PC. If I send it via email to someone else to use I get a message stating that "The macros in this Project are Disabled" However, when I go into Tools, Macros and Run Macro, I can see it, but it will not run it? Any ideas? Hi ezeetyger! Sounds like the security settings in the other person's computer are set to high. Use: Tools > Macro > Security Set to Medium (gives a choice on opening a book with macros in it) Set to Low (allows all macros) ...