Double-printing in one print area - Excel

I have a simple three-column list that I need to print, but need t
print two sets of the list per page. I can't adjust the layout of th
list itself as it is the result of an external database query which i
refreshed when the sheet is opened.  I can't figure out a way to d
this, anyone got any ideas??? Thanks.:confused

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Chris,

Excel prints a sheet just as it's actually laid out, with little variation.
By two sets, do you mean an identical list to the right, or do you want a
single list (easy) in two columns per page (not so easy)?
--
Earl Kiosterud

"ChrisSmith >" <<ChrisSmith.15h90s@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a simple three-column list that I need to print, but need to
> print two sets of the list per page. I can't adjust the layout of the
> list itself as it is the result of an external database query which is
> refreshed when the sheet is opened.  I can't figure out a way to do
> this, anyone got any ideas??? Thanks.:confused:
>

> ---

nowhere1083 (630)
4/29/2004 3:09:34 PM
Hi

Thanks for replying. I would like to print the single list in tw
columns per page - it's basically a paper-saving excersise as there i
a large blank space on the right hand side if you just print the singl
list. Printing the list many times means a massive amount of waste
paper.

I have looked at all the settings and can't see a way around it - d
you think this would be possible with VBA?

Thank

Chris,

It could be done with a macro.  It could also be done manually:

Determine the count of rows.
Go to the halfway point, and select a row there.
Press Ctrl-Shift-DownArrow.  That should select all the stuff to the bottom.
There can be no empty rows along the way for this to work.
Edit - Cut.
Go to the top (Ctrl-Home).
Select a single cell at the upper left of where the second column should
start.
Edit - Paste

--
Earl Kiosterud

"ChrisSmith >" <<ChrisSmith.15it8k@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Thanks for replying. I would like to print the single list in two
> columns per page - it's basically a paper-saving excersise as there is
> a large blank space on the right hand side if you just print the single
> list. Printing the list many times means a massive amount of wasted
> paper.
>
> I have looked at all the settings and can't see a way around it - do
> you think this would be possible with VBA?
>
> Thanks
>

> ---

nowhere1083 (630)
4/30/2004 1:50:59 PM
Hi

I have tried the cutting and pasting technique which has turned out t
be quite time consuming and problematic where users print to differen
printers, i.e. slightly different paper sizes mean what looks good fo
one doesnt work for another. It would be good to work out a way o
automatically (maybe with a macro?) re-positioning the data on th
pages so that the list reads down both columns of each page befor
going to the next - a bit like the clolumns feature in Word. This seem
like quite a simple thing to do so I am sure there must be a way! Woul
be grateful of any further advice...

Many thanks
Chri

Hi Chris, do your 3 columns always have the same amount of rows in them

Either way this macro may work.
If you paste your data into columns A, B and C then run the macro i
should cut and paste column B below A and C below B.
It will then copy this one column into another (which you are lookin
for) whilst deleting column B and C so you are just left with the tw
columns. confused I am?
This works if your data is no more than 10 rows i.e A1:C10 but I gues
you could alter that yourself as you know what the data you reciev
amounts to.
This is a first attempt at macros so forgive me if it doesn't work fo
your application or is long winded but I like to have a dabble I fin
it helps me learn quicker. Please let me know if it was of any help.

Sub row()
Range("B1:B10").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("A11").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("C1:C10").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Copy
Range("A21").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("A1:A30").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Copy
Range("D1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("B1:C10").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True
End Su

Thanks for the suggestion I will try it and let you know how I get on

Chris,

My Excel add-in "Side by Side" may do what you want...
    Column(s) of data are arranged into 2, 3 or 4 groups on successive pages.
    Data sequence is maintained and the area above the data is not changed.
    A new worksheet is created with the new column arrangement.
    Your original worksheet is not affected.
    You print from the new worksheet.  It's easy to use and very fast.
    Comes with one page of Word.doc install/use instructions.
    Available - free - upon direct request.  Remove xxx from email address.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA
jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

"ChrisSmith >" <<ChrisSmith.16g1wo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:ChrisSmith.16g1wo@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Hi
> I have tried the cutting and pasting technique which has turned out to
> be quite time consuming and problematic where users print to different
> printers, i.e. slightly different paper sizes mean what looks good for
> one doesnt work for another. It would be good to work out a way of
> automatically (maybe with a macro?) re-positioning the data on the
> pages so that the list reads down both columns of each page before
> going to the next - a bit like the clolumns feature in Word. This seems
> like quite a simple thing to do so I am sure there must be a way! Would
> be grateful of any further advice...
> Many thanks
> Chris

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

Automatically Starting a Excel Addin
Hi We are using Excel 2000 and have a Addin that create a extra Tool bar. What we want to do is get this automatically loaded everytime someone loads Excel. If I go to Tool \ Addin and tick our addin it loads everytime OK. But we don't want to get all our users to have to do this themselves, if we know either the regit key or file that we needed to puch out to our users we could turn this setting on for them. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Paul www.purenetworking.net Jan Karel Pieterse used a helper workbook that added an addin in his namemanager utility. You can find it a...

Invoice printing
We are wondering if the reports are going to include invoices to have the look of the statement, but are printed on a 8.5 by 11 sheets to give to the customer right away and to sign right away in acceptance of charges? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. h...

leading zeros in excel
I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324 Format as 00000 -- HTH Bob Phillips "kiwi" <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4560E85F-CE45-487F-812F-C7CA9D7FB042@microsoft.com... > I need to display leading zeros in whole numbers eg 05324 If that is for a US zip code, they really should be formatted as text then they can also be consistent with zip+4 codes as well, and with codes used in other countries as well. Format as text is best, or precede with a single quote. If they aren't going to be treated arithmetically then ...

Sum of more than one pivot table
I am working with trying to sum 2 pivot tables. I keep getting extra rows, one named "ROW" with a value of "0" (Zero). I can remove this item from the drop down list but ...... Why is it there? And what can I do to get rid of it? Ken I should have said, I am trying to do this in a new pivot table. Ref: http://edferrero.m6.net/Pivot.html#4 The last part of this tutorial, says to sum the 2 pivot tables. >-----Original Message----- >I am working with trying to sum 2 pivot tables. >I keep getting extra rows, one named "ROW" with a value >of "...

excel dropdown menu question
Being a complete newbie here, my question is as follows. I have created a spreadsheet for our Little League baseball team by position and inning. In each cell I have created a dropdown menu that lists each of our 11 players by name so that all I have to do is select the players name and it fills in that cell for that position/inning. What I would like this drop down menu to do, if possible, is as I move down the player position (in a single inning) and choose a players name to fill that position, the dropdown menu then removes that players name in the next position to be filled. EX: ...

How can I create a graph & execute Excel from a non- MS environme
I would like to set up an application that can be run from Unix or another operating system that can be used to display a graph in Excel.(maybe a perl script, or something?) I can create a csv file from the data coming from a non-microsoft environment. I would like to be able to then run a unix system command, or a command that can be executed from the "run" line from MS Start menu that would use this data to open Excel and display the data as a chart. CJ Dev Wrote: > I would like to set up an application that can be run from Unix o > another > operating system that...

excel database 25,000 plus names
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 If this is just a datastore, then yes, it is better in Access and wh...

Printing labels from Publisher
I cannot seem to be able to print only 1 label at a time. Where can I set the printing option to print just one label from a sheet of labels? You will have to create the page manually. Take a look at the page setup when you select labels, it will tell you the size and the gaps. Use the ruler guides to recreate the labels. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Carmen Driggs" <Carmen Driggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3433E906-D97B-4AED-B83A-39CDBA9B99F5@microsoft.com... >I cannot seem to be able to print only 1 label at a time. Where can I set ...

Two identical graphics, one visible in Draft view, the other not
A Word 2007 document contains several graphics (flowcharts) that were created in Visio (2003), copied to the clipboard (Ctrl-C), and pasted into the Word document (Ctrl-V). I have been working on this document for some time as well as others like it. I usually view these documents in Print View because the graphics are not visible in Draft View (they display as empty white space or the light blue field if selected). Today, I happened to shift to Draft View and discovered that most, but not all, of the graphics were visible. In one case, the same graphic was in the document twice r...

Why are layout guides double lines (pink & blue)?
It looks like the pink line is the real guide. It is set the margins at .5", the pink line is .5" from the edge. What the purpopse of the blue line that appears to be aboutr 3/32" inside the pink one? -- Running Publisher 2K SP-3 in Office 2K OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LurfysMa wrote: > It looks like the pink line is the real guide. It is set the margins > at .5", the pink line is .5" from the edge. > > What the purpopse of the blue line that appears to be aboutr 3/32" > inside the pink one? Yes, I've always wondered about these double l...

how do I download an excel template%3f
I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The download never reaches my computer. I am using excel 2003 and have MicroSoft XP on my computer. The information in the following article may help: Downloading Office Online templates http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011352971033.aspx Dante wrote: > I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. > However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The > download never reaches my co...

Is there a fix for incorrect duplex printing of mail-merge postca.
Printing mail-merge postcards on a DUPLEX printer is not correct. We print monthly invitations. In P'03, the front of a postcard to each recipient prints on the opposite side of the same card as the message. It does not in P'07. (The front AND back of the card print on the first side [with the front and back of the next addressee]. The following 2 addressees appear on the back. This will work correctly only IF, there is no personal note to the addressee on the back of the card AND the number of addressees is divisible by 4. We have to keep 2 computers in my office unconve...

Copy and Paste in Excel, copies cell and formula, but shows same v
Excel 2003 with 2007 converters installed. Not constant problem, but have seen it once before, can't remember how to stop it happening. I have a bank forecast which I have a running total column, against a individual line item list. Noddy stuff. Problem. If I make changes to the forecast I need to recopy down the running total formula to refresh the running total when it doesn't pick up the additions, usual when a cut has been pasted in. Whilst it allows me to dragdown or copy and paste the formula and the new cells take on the correct line/column numbers to do thei...

Excel Formula Copy
Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Jennifer schreef: > Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct > answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Could you be more specific? What does it say on the other computer? Maybe in Tools > Options> Calculations "manual" is selected. Maybe the Automatic Calculation option is off on the computer it wont work on?? Thats my only guess "Jennifer&quo...

Suppress "0" from printing on a report
One way to do this is to set the format to "#,###.00;-#,###.00;[White]". Is there a better,or more conventional, way? If that is the only information, you can remove the record with a WHERE clause, but that eliminates the whole record, that is why this is only applicable if this field is the only information to be printed in the 'row': WHERE fieldname <> 0 Vanderghast, Access MVP "JimP" <j_pockmire@comcast.net> wrote in message news:MP2dnUkGtoXof7XWnZ2dnUVZ_hGdnZ2d@giganews.com... > One way to do this is to set the fo...

unintentional re-sizing of documents embedded in Excel
Within the last few days, Ive been experiencing a problem with Word documents embedded in an Excel worksheet. While I'm typing in the embedded document, the document size will change without any apparent cause. I've been using this form for years without any problem. We have virus protection software that is current, so I doubt that is the problem. Any ideas or suggestioins?? TIA, Rich Hi no solution but this is probably not a virus or a setting. This happens in my experience quite often to embedded Excel documents. Would consider this more as a bug (with no workaround I know...

exchange 2003 public folder sync, which one is updated
If I have public folders replicateing between 2 exchange 2003 systems and someone makes a change, which one is updated? The one they are connected to is the one that is updated. Users are connected to the one referred to in the properties of the Mailbox Store that houses their mailbox. "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:271997FD-E0BD-469B-A64D-2FC52FB68575@microsoft.com... > If I have public folders replicateing between 2 exchange 2003 systems and > someone makes a change, which one is updated? ...

How to have multiple columns in excel that will expand and colaps.
I have a large about of tiered data, multiple columns, that I would like for the users to be able to expand and colapse on by each column level to view that level of data. Is there a method of doing this. It's hard to understand what you are wanting from what you say. Provide some detail about what the data looks like at the start, then what it looks like after expanding and then what it looks like after collapsing. Don't attach a file to your post. Just describe what you have and want. HTH Otto "columnhelp" <columnhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Lines in Publisher does not print in same position as on screen
On inserting a house plan (TIF) and wanting to draw grid lines (using the line tool) on the outside walls, it shows 100% correct on screen but when I print it is as if the line spacing has changed and is not on the outside lines for the walls anymore. Anybody experienced this problem? Thanks Carel Put the .tif on the background and draw the lines on the publication page. Does this help? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Carel" <Carel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EAC19E7-4E72-43E4-BE46-98944FFDB8FE@microsoft.com... > On inserting a house pl...

Excel data query goes away.
I have a work book that gets information from an SQL database. About every two months the query goes away. Why? and how can I stop this from happening? ...

insert data from one excel file into another
Is there any way to insert data from one excel file into another without doing copy and pasting? I need to automate the process of inserting data but I cannot use copy-paste, because it puts data on a clipboard, and my Excel VBA program runs in a multi-user environment. So if one instance of a program is copying data into clipboard, and another instance is pasting it at the same time, it will paste incorrect data. Thank you Leonard. You'll need both spreadsheets open, but try this; Option Explicit Sub MyMacro() Dim MyVariable As String Windows("File2.xls").Ac...

Please help with Excel formula problem!
I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out, with no luck. I'd be PROFOUNDLY grateful if anybody can help. You have several cities, say 10, requesting various amounts of funding. You, the fund source, have a total of $1,500,000 in funds to give them. However, the total amount they're all requesting is, say, $1,655,502. You don't have enough; you only have $1,500,000. 1,500,000/1,655,502 = .9061. So, you grant EACH city 90.61% of what it requested, and all the grants total up to $1,500,000. No problem with that one, you can throw up a little spreadsheet in a few se...

Nuevo excel
Existe una nueva version English ng. Newer than what? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Liliana Uribe" <sluribem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OrgHvn2yIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Existe una nueva version Hola Uribe fervientemente que nos dijo:=20 > Existe una nueva version inmediatamente, hasta las prensas que pulsar en este enlace! news://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.es.excel --=20 --=20 @+ ;o))) ...

Looking to automatically "unhide" rows in excel using hyperlinks
Using Excel 2000 and want to hide rows then have those rows automatically displayed if a hyperlink is selected. ...

Transfer information into Excel spreadsheet
In Internet Explorer on a particular web page, I used to be able to click on file > Edit with Excel and then select the parts of the page I wanted to export. (By clicking on the small yellow box with a + in it. Now, my "edit" options are with Front Page or Word. What happened? I realize I can right click on the body of the page and select export to Excel, but I want to continue doing it the way I have for the past 6 months. ...