Double-click on row-separator doesn't always correctly adjust row height

Our company often uses Excel v.2003 to generate table-like text reports.
The cells often contain text that wraps to multiple lines. We also have
merged cells at various locations.

I often will double-click on the border between two row headers to make
the row above auto-expand/collapse to make the row fit to the amount of
wrapped text. However, there seem to be many situations where the row
will collapse to only one row in height. It might have to do with merged
cells (either in the row itself or somewhere else in the document). This
seems to be a bug.

Could you please tell me which specific criteria trigger this limitation
so I can avoid them?

Thank you!

PS. Here's a sketch of what I mean:

	|-------------
	|1|
	|-------------
	|2| Lots of text here that flows to 2+ lines.
	|-------------   <--- double-click here to expand row #2
	|3|
	|-------------
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust:  www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts:     http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German):  http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/
0
Peter
3/5/2008 2:54:46 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

List box value returns the row number of the list box range row
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a list box set up on a worksheet and I want the user to select a value from the list box, and then have that value entered into a cell when a button is clicked. When I run/step through the macro, it takes a value and places it into the appropriate cell. The problem is that the value which is placed in the cell is not the value from the listbox, but the row number of the value that was chosen. Using the below row numbers and values as an example; if I select value 7 from the list box, the val...

remove excess (unwanted) rows from the bottom of a speadsheet
I have some spreadsheets submitted to me that are upto 65000 rows, with only the first 4000 rows used. How can I remove these unwanted rows. Deleting only replaces teh rows with new blank rows. At the moment I am cutting / pasting in to a new worksheet and then re-establishing all the links. THere must be an easier way. You can't remove them, as the sheet is a fixed size. However, you can hide them. Select the rows below the data then click on Format | Rows | Hide then click OK. Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 26, 10:01=A0am, alun.re...@bamnuttall.co.uk <alun.re...@b...

Is there an easy way to filter duplicate rows of data in excel?
When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working with, it is too difficult to filter manually. "Yumin" wrote: > When I run a query and download the information to Excel, there will be > duplicate rows of data (If a product went through an operation twice). I > want to filter out the duplicate rows. With the amount of data I'm working > with, it is too difficult to filter manually. ...

How set up a template/form & database that records variable rows .
Trying to set up a quote database that records muliptle records (will vary # of rows) depending on the # of products quoted. ...

Separate thread for updating virtual listview
I have a CFormView based SDI application that can use a long time to collect data that is shown in a virtual listview. Today the application is "frozen" util all data is collected. I think the solution can be to have a separate data-collection thread to fill the list view gradually as data are collected, and it is important that the data-collection thread can be terminated whenever I want (fo example if the user switches to another form). Is there a good example on how to do this the right way? Best regads, Petter Hi Petter, I understand that you would like to create a s...

Excel 2007 with Vista SP2
Hi, I am running Microsoft Vista SP2 with Excel 2007. I used to be able to double click an xls or xlsx file in my "Windows explorer", or Microsoft Outlook attachement and the file would open with Excel. This function does not work anymore. I get an error :- "Windows cannot find file ... Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.?" I can open the file if I start Excel, and the use the "Open File" option. Any suggestions as to why it should behave this way are appreciated. I did try re-installing, but the behaviour has not changed. --...

Autofit row height in only some rows
Is it possible to change this macro to only autofit the row height on rows 254-332 in the workbook? I am using this macro: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object) Application.EnableEvents = False Sh.Rows.AutoFit Sh.Rows("1.33").AutoFit Application.EnableEvents = True EndSub Thanks in advance for your help. VBA Code: -------------------- Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object) Application.EnableEvents = False Sh.Rows("254:332").AutoFit Application.EnableEvents = True ...

can't right click
I can't right click in Microsoft Excel 2000. Even open new documents & restart pc the problem still remain.. I really need help.. Hi Stan One possible cause of this could be that the menu that appears on a worksheet when you right click has been disabled. Open a new blank workbook. Open up the visual basic editor (Alt+F11). Insert a new module Type the following code Sub Reset() With Application.CommandBars("Cell") .Reset .Enabled = True End With End Sub Run this code and see if the right click menu comes back. Nick "Stan" <Sta...

printing double sided in Publisher
I’ve searched Publisher thoroughly, and I can’t find a command to print a regular book—on both sides of the pages. Clicking the “double side” command causes Publisher to shrink two pages and print them side-by-side on one side of a page. Not what I want. Word lets you print all the odd pages of the book, flip the stack over, reinsert it into the paper feed, then print all the even pages. Voila! Double sided printing. Why can’t Publisher do that? Or can it? -- cassjmb It's not a Publisher thing. If your printer can't print double-sided, nothing Publisher can do will change tha...

How do I remove right mouse click / space bar to advance slide?
How do I remove the option that allows right mouse click / space bar to advance the slide of my PowerPoint presentation so that a presenter can only use the buttons? On 2/24/10 5:29 PM, Andrew M. wrote: > How do I remove the option that allows right mouse click / space bar to > advance the slide of my PowerPoint presentation so that a presenter can only > use the buttons? Slide Show > Set Up Show > Browsed at a kiosk That is the setting that does just what you want. The only things that will work are buttons, hyperlinks, and the Escape key. --David -- Da...

Sum of row excluding hidden columns
Hello, I am trying to take the sum of say B5:AZ5, excluding hidden columns. The SUBTOTAL function, using funciton #109 would allow me to do B5:B50, but not the B5:AZ5 (it allows for taking the sum of a column, excluding hidden rows, but not the other way around). Is there a *decent* alternative? I have thus-far found a macro that can handle this, but a re-calculation is needed on the user's part if a column is hidden/unhidden. I also found a cludgey (but nonetheless interesting) way posted by Biff on October 12, 2006, but am looking for a (a) more elegant solution [if it exsits...

MS Query and Row Range Names
We utilize MS queries in a spreadsheet that has range names for rows. Unfortunately, when the query returns a different # of records than before the query, it messes up the reference of the range names (i.e. if row 123 is named "Partner1" before the refresh of the query, "Partner1" will not move with the associated row if new records are inserted and/or deleted - NOR does it stay at row 123). Does anybody know what is going on and how to overcome this issue? Thank you. Correction to my original message, the range name does stay at row 123 (i.e. absolute). But I h...

Excel To Access: Transfer multiple rows from excel at the same tim
Hi All, How can I transfer a Bock of data to Access from excel by clicking a "Submit" button? eg: I have designed a "Submit" button on the excel sheet that exports all of the student data into access, but data is populated in a single row...AND I want to insert all this data in access in seperate rows. Here is what My excel table looks like: Student_ID Subjects Grades 123456 Eng A 123456 Hist B 123456 Math B+ 123456 Bio B- So, once we click "Submit" I want the dat...

Adjust CRM so it can be used for small companies to make invoices
It would be great of crm can be used to make invoices with automatic tax calculation. I'd like the idea of a All in one solution for small in medium sized companies. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Communi...

Importing a text file w/ more than 65,536 rows
I'm trying to download a text file which exceeds the number of rows on an Excel worksheet. The help menus for Excel 5.0, 7.0, and '97 specify a way to use the Text Import Wizard to import the file to multiple worksheets. However, I have Excel 2000, and cannot locate any instructions about how to download to multiple worksheets. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd use my favorite text editor and split the text file into smaller pieces. Then import them separately. Or you could use a macro that imports each line: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 ...

Row/Column unhide shortcut keys not working in excel 2007
Specs: AMD 64 X2, Vista Business Edition, Office 2007. I searched through the groups, but I didn't come across an answer to my problem.. Do the shortcut keys for row/column unhide work in excel 2007? I'm used to excel 2002/03 where the command is CTRL+SHIFT+9 and CTRL+SHIFT+0. According to the excel 2007 help, the commands are the same, but they do not work for me (I can unhide by going to Cells- >Format-> Hide & unhide). Interestingly, Ctrl+9 and Ctrl+0 work fine for hiding rows/columns. On a (related?) note, in the following thread http://groups.google.com/group/microso...

transferring data in rows of one table to columns of another table
Hi All, We are working with FCC station data that puts some simple numeric data in one file, arranged in a number of consecutive rows for each station. The next station's data follows consecutively. Each group of rows that are common to a station share an index number, while the next group uses its own separate number. A separate file contains the main information fields in a table of separate rows, or records, along with a matching index number. We'd like to move the numeric data in a group of rows that share the index # for a station, to a series of new fields add...

screen jumps when clicking on border
Why does the screen move when I accidently click on a cell border? How do I turn this off? Its a real annoyance. You can turn that feature off, if you're also willing to give up drag and drop: Choose Tools>Options Select the Edit tab Remove the check mark from 'Allow cell drag and drop' Click OK anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Why does the screen move when I accidently click on a cell > border? How do I turn this off? Its a real annoyance. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Thank you! >...

Force user to click on Main Form First??
Hello - Is it possible to force a user to select a field in the Main form prior to inputing any info into the subforms? Or is it possible for the Main form to assign and ID to the record when a user begins filling out the subform? Thanks - Lee - -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com One way is to use the Before Insert event of the subform. Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer) If Me.Parent.NewRecord Then Cancel = True MsgBox "Please enter the main form record first." End If End Sub Another wa...

Newbie Help! Please (correct version)
Hi I have a spreadsheet which has a record of places in which certain occurences have taken place looking somthing like this... �-----A-----�-----B-----�-----C-----�-----D----- Place 1 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 3 data data data Place 1 data data data Place 4 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 1 data data data Pl...

how to recive checkbox click event on CDateTimeCtrl?
is there any way to handel this event? Well it does send a DTN_DATETIMECHANGE message. AliR. "rsobies" <rsobies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C942CA85-9A0D-4D42-AA14-34901FFA192A@microsoft.com... > is there any way to handel this event? this message is also send when a user change a date or when a user swich betwean months. i want to know when exactly the checkbox is clicked "AliR" wrote: > Well it does send a DTN_DATETIMECHANGE message. > > AliR. > > "rsobies" <rsobies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

KB 955452
Hi, after applying CRM 4.0 Rollup 2 I tried to manually enable this hotfix but the description in KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955452/ is quite unclear to me. Can anybody help me how to set a registry key correctly? Thank you Jan Vanek I agree Can someone please explain the last bits of the registry key Pete "Jan Vanek" <JanVanek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1548A89A-AD39-4B8F-8944-1ABB24ADE20F@microsoft.com... > Hi, > after applying CRM 4.0 Rollup 2 I tried to manually enable this hotfix but > the description in KB article htt...

Can't insert a new row
I have about 20 rows of data and I'm trying to insert a row of data before line 6. I highlight cell 6, click Insert /Rows and then I get an error, "To prevent the possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the work sheet." It goes on with some more garbage, but it's already obvious that Microsoft doesn't know what it's talking about. How do I get this insert to work? Thanks! -- skywaytraveler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skywaytraveler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

changing colour cell and text by clicking cell
Hi. In a worksheet i have in cells O22::X44 numbers from 1 to 9. Now i what that when i click one of these cells that the cell colour changes to red and the text changes to white Is this possible? Hannes On Mar 16, 5:41=A0am, "hannes" <frans...@home.nl> wrote: > Hi. > > In a worksheet i have in cells O22::X44 numbers from 1 to 9. =A0Now i wha= t > that when i click one of these cells that the cell colour changes to red = and > the text changes to white > Is this possible? > > Hannes It is possible but when do you want that to occur? When the num...

Problems adjusting to XP
I'm a moderately experienced user with two complaints: 1) I accidentally set the 'recently used file list' to zero, and I meant one. In the Options or wherever it is, now, the box is grayed out and I can't get it re-set to 1. Halp!! 2) 97% of my work is with mini-databases which I prefer to have in Excel, and the new Excel keeps reminding me and scolding me for having text labels which appear to be numbers [duh!!] And it scolds me when I sort. How can I tell Excel to stop treating me like an idjit? -- Regards, P D Sterling www.pdsterling.us 1) No Idea 2) Tools>...