Document Not Saved on MS Excel file on W2K Server

I'm not so sure what newsgroup category will this issue fall.

I have a file server with Windows 2000 Server SP4 OS and a WIndows NT
Workstation desktops. Some of my users complain that when they will try to
open an file especially excel file from the server, and when they try to
save the file, its prompts for "Document Not Saved", even though that they
didn't make the file idle. I have 50 desktop PC and 60 CALs for my server.
Please help.

Mark

0
mark7619 (80)
8/11/2004 7:26:46 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm not sure what "make the file idle" means, but when excel saves the file, it
saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful,
xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

I think I'd check with the network people to make sure all the permissions were
set correctly.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

find action on log file

File size #11

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Maximum file sizes

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Reporting from Project Server

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

learning Excel #3

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...