Dividing a cell in Excel 2000

I am embarrassed  to ask, but here goes.  About a year ago
some of you on this forum  explained how I can divide a cell
without creating a whole new row.  I can't remember how I
did it.  With a diagonal line?  A horizontal line?  A vertical
line?  Doesn't really matter; I just want to enter a number on
each side of the divide.

Much appreciation,

Lois

0
jglois (4)
4/8/2004 6:01:34 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can always find previous posts in the archives. Just enter your name
or email address in the author field at

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*

to see your posts and any replies.

You might take a look here for a suggestion on "dividing" cells
diagonally:

http://google.com/groups?threadm=jemcgimpsey-32EEF4.06432707022004%40msne
ws.microsoft.com

In article <a4382$4074ea89$d1cc57bf$23123@snip.allthenewsgroups.com>,
 "JGLois" <jglois@snip.net> wrote:

> I am embarrassed  to ask, but here goes.  About a year ago
> some of you on this forum  explained how I can divide a cell
> without creating a whole new row.  I can't remember how I
> did it.  With a diagonal line?  A horizontal line?  A vertical
> line?  Doesn't really matter; I just want to enter a number on
> each side of the divide.
>
> Much appreciation,
>
> Lois
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/8/2004 6:10:13 AM
Thanks for the recommendation of the "author" field on Google.  I searched
Google
groups before asking the question but didn't know I could bring up my own
posts,
which will be handy in the future.  This particular discussion did not come
up.  It
must have been sent to me in the course of private discussion with someone
who
initially replied to another Excel question.

Lois

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You can always find previous posts in the archives. Just enter your name
> or email address in the author field at
>
>     http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*
>
> to see your posts and any replies.
>
> You might take a look here for a suggestion on "dividing" cells
> diagonally:
>
> http://google.com/groups?threadm=jemcgimpsey-32EEF4.06432707022004%40msne
> ws.microsoft.com
>
> In article <a4382$4074ea89$d1cc57bf$23123@snip.allthenewsgroups.com>,
>  "JGLois" <jglois@snip.net> wrote:
>
> > I am embarrassed  to ask, but here goes.  About a year ago
> > some of you on this forum  explained how I can divide a cell
> > without creating a whole new row.  I can't remember how I
> > did it.  With a diagonal line?  A horizontal line?  A vertical
> > line?  Doesn't really matter; I just want to enter a number on
> > each side of the divide.
> >
> > Much appreciation,
> >
> > Lois

0
jglois (4)
4/8/2004 3:12:51 PM
Was it Alt-enter to force a new line (and add spaces to make each side fit into
the corresponding triangle?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Formula to fill one cell from another
I have a table of data based upon the 12 months of the year, one month per column. Other data is added to the spreadsheet with associated month numbers: e.g., 124 for 1 (January), 34.5 for 4 (April), etc. This other data comes in sequentially; i.e., if there are only 3 months of data, they will come in three adjacent cells. I need to ensure this other data is placed in the correcy month within the table; e.g., 124 for 1 is put into the table's January column; 34.5 for 4 is put into the table's April column; etc. I seem to remember, a while back, there was a function(?...

Dividing All My Spreadsheet Entries By 10
Whenever I enter a figure into a cell in a spreadsheet it automatically divides the number I enterd by 10. How do I stop this please. I have tried re-installing and tried "Detect and Repair" - any idesa please. Hi David! Try: Tools > Options > Edit Remove check from "Fixed decimal places" -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. David, Type 10 in a free cell, go Edit > Copy or Ctl+C, then select the area you want to ...

How can I protect cells only?
Hi, At work we have shared excel file and want to protect some cells (not the whole sheet) which contains formulas?upon clicking the cell, I want it to appear warning message. Regards, SRM actually all cells are protected by default. what you need to do is unprotect the cells you want everyone to have access to, then protect the sheet. SRM wrote: >Hi, >At work we have shared excel file and want to protect some cells (not the >whole sheet) which contains formulas?upon clicking the cell, I want it to >appear warning message. > >Regards, >SRM -- Mark Brindamour m...

How to create identical dropdown lists in large blocks of cells
I use an excel spreadsheet to create a 4 week schedule for 20 nurses. They work a total of 13 differant shifts. (7a-11a, 7a-3p, 7a-7p, 11a-3p, 11a-7p, etc). I'm looking for a way to create identical drop down boxes with a list of the available shifts for a large group of cells. So far, I have to do each cell individually via the "Data, Validation, List" route. That's over 550 individual cells I'd have to program one at a time, which is just not gonna happen. Anybody have a faster way? Paul: You can select as many cells as you like when creating a drop-down. You c...

Code to Query SQL Server with a parameter value (entered into an Input Box), and have that value also display in a selected cell on a worksheet
I'm wondering how BEST to accomplish this. I have a EXCEL workbook which populates data to, and retrieves data from SQL Server. I currently have VBA code which effectively sends the data from the EXCEL worksheet to SQL Server tables -- no problem with this. I currently have VBA code which effectively retrieves data from SQL Server and displays that data back into the worksheet -- no problem with this either. I'm currently using a Command Button (on-click event) and the code below to query SQL Server to determine the Max Version Number and add 1 to that value. This value is t...

Water marking Excel
Is there a way to enter a water mark across an excell spread-sheet like one can do in MS Word? How do I enter a graphic in the form of a water mark in excel? Janak Janak See Bob Phillips' site for options. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:58:58 -0800, "J. Joshi" <jjoshi@uhs.harvard.edu> wrote: >Is there a way to enter a water mark across an excell >spread-sheet like one can do in MS Word? How do I enter a >graphic in the form of a water mark in excel? > >Janak ...

Help with Excel phone list
I have created a phone list with a lot of extra data, On a different worksheet, I want to display only certain fields, and have the ability to sort the list, via Name or Number RawPhoneList Extension, First Name, Last Name, Phone Patch, Phone Type , Jack Number, Notes, Display in Phone List. UserPhoneList First name, Last Lane, Direct Number<This is calculated via the Extension, Extension So I do I pull the data from the RawPhoneList based upon =93Display in Phone List=94 and show it in a formatted and sort able version on the UserPhoneList? Right now if I just make one cell =3D the other...

Analysis services connection using Excel
Server- remote win2k3 server running sql2k8 in workgroup setup - no AD. Client - Xp prof connect to server via vpn and rdp I am trying to connect to sql database from Excel , data , from other sources, from analysis services using windows authentication and I am getting an error " Errors in OLD DB provider. Could not connect to the redirector. Ensure that the SQL browser services is running on the 'dbservername' server. Can you pls update on what needs to be corrected to remotely connect to analysis services via vpn from client and also make a odbc connection ...

Finding all the Formats used in an Excel Sheet
Hi, I want to find all the formats which have been used in excel sheet. Can you please provide some VBA/Code to retrieve the same? Regards, Brijesh Hi Brijesh.. This may not be a direct solution�.but still.. Create a short cut ke for this macro. You may go to each cell and press shortcut key t display the format..Expand � If� clause, for other formats also� Sub ContentChk() If Application.IsText(ActiveCell) = True Then MsgBox "Text" Else If ActiveCell = "" Then MsgBox "Blank cell� Else End If If ActiveCell.HasFormula Then MsgBox "formula"...

Conditional format on adjacent cells
Hi All, what am I doing wrong?? I want cells A1 to G1 to conditionally format (to red) if they are ALL empty, but if ANY one (or more) of them contain data (text) then NONE of them should format. I tried the formula =ISBLANK(A1:G1) then asigned a format, but for some reason A1 only responds to the data in A1 and seems to ignore the rest of the range, I've also tried similar range with formula ="" and cell value is equal to "". I am sure this must be possible but just can't find it. I'v been at this for three weeks now. Please put me out of my miss...

How to email charts using Excel
Hi All, I need to automatically email(in a single mail) a number of charts(as embedded in the email-body) using Excel. I have coded in VBA such that Each chart is created in different workbook. How can I collate all of these and then send in a single mail?? Can somebody please help?? ...

Excel 2003 Working Day Formula
Hi I am after a formula to clauclate working days for office 2003 not 2007? For example if the date which i have in cell B2: what code/formula would I use to determine one working day from that date for cell C2? Hope that makes sense, basically I want to clauclate 1 working day from the date entered in a cell. Mnay thanks Check your other post. housinglad wrote: > > Hi > > I am after a formula to clauclate working days for office 2003 not 2007? > > For example if the date which i have in cell B2: what code/formula would I > use to deter...

Copying Excel 2007 Charts as picture into Word
Having a heck of a time trying to automate a process where we copy Excel 2007 charts and paste to a Word document as pictures. The code works and copies all of the relevant ranges from Excel. But when pasting to Word the chart disappears? Not a problem when the desired exhibit being pasted is all text from Excel. But for some reason the chart object (and it doesn't matter what kind of chart, line, bar, pie, etc.) won't copy over to the Word document. Never had this problem in earlier versions of Excel. Always pasted charts fine. Copying out of Excel using: objXL.Range...

Displayed Row Height Difference For Excel on Mac and PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Can anyone explain why the displayed row height is different on Excel for Mac compared to Excel for PC? When I open the default worksheet on my Mac, it displays 70 rows on the screen. When I open the default worksheet on my PC, it displays 50 rows on the screen. This occurs using the exact same monitor (Viewsonic 22&quot;) and the exact same screen resolution (1680 x 1050). The default row height on the Mac is 0.18&quot; and the default row height on the PC is 12.75 points (0.177&quot;?). I not...

Outlook 2000 signature not working
I have created a signature using a graphical image and text. It shows perfect in the preview window when using the "signature picker". However, when a new message is created the signature shows as a blank box with a small red X in the upper left corner. Can anyone help ? HI EBS, maybe this article could solve your problem http://www.techzonez.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-9792.html -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de ...

BSOD when play/capture sound thru USB audio device on Windows 2000
Hello, We're developing a USB audio device which intends to work with Microsoft WDM audio driver. On Windows XP and Windows 7, there are no problems, I can play/capture sound through that USB audio device. Windows 2000 SP4 can detect it and load WDM audio driver, but when I try to capture sound from this USB audio device, the computer crashes. I also use Driver Verifier to have better analysis. Following is the debugged result. If it's impossible to work on Windows 2000, how can I at least make the computer to be not crashed? Thanks so much. Ha Loading Du...

How i can delete a cell?
Hi not quite sure what you mean but just right-lick on the cell and choose 'Delete' from the con text menu -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "edr" <EZAHEDy@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OcHY2TRJEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > > If you mean erase the contents. Select it and touch the delete key or the space bar. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "edr" <EZAHEDy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OcHY2TRJEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > > Oooh. I hate that people put a space character i...

mic. excel 97
got problem with excel used windows XP Profesional, only excel after key-in the data and then click the chart wizard , not function and prom error message ...

Excel 2003, query doesn't refresh sometimes
Hi: I can't reproduce this but I have built a workbook using queries on different sheets that are parameterized. I used Microsoft Query and it hits an Access database. The users report sometimes it gets the numbers wrong--seems like it doesn't refresh (sometimes) when the parameter is changed. There are two parameters and they come from another worksheet. They click on "Enable Refresh" when it comes up when they open the workbook. I saw a MSFT KB that says that, if you have parameters on different worksheets, it might not refresh sometimes. However this was an issue with E...

excell XP
When protecting a worksheet and allowing users editing ranges, when done and entering data, when I use the Tab key to go from column to column, it jumps to every other column. Why does it not go to each column? It's jumping to the next UN protected -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Mal" <brulegal@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:03ae01c35b7b$7c17deb0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When protecting a worksheet and allowing users editing > ranges, when done and entering data, when I use the Tab > key to go from column to column, it jum...

External running of Access 2000 databases
Is there a way to make a mdb or mde viewable to someone that doesn't have Access? I don't care how many conversions, if any, are nesseccary. Look into purchasing Office 2000 Developer. It comes with a royalty-free run-time version of Access that you can distribute with your application so that people who don't have Access already installed can install the run-time and use your application. Unfortunately, Microsoft no longer sells previous versions of Access. One possibility is to check out sites that specialize in old software products, such as http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/ o...

Excel Database
I need help with creating a name and address database with Excel Use one header row. One name per row. Put each field into a different column. different columns for Honorific (mr., mrs. ms. the reverend, etc) First Name middle Initial Last Name First Address 2nd address city st zip (zip+4) phone number (enter as numeric and format it as special|Phone) And any other field you can think of should be a separate column. It's really easy to combine two fields into one (=a1&" "&b1), but it's much more difficult to separate them. Different fields for each kid's...

Opening excel 2000 worksheets in office 97
if you send an excel 2000 archive to someone who has office 97, could this person open it? I have 97 and 2000 on the same machine and have no problems. There may be problems with macros & formulas if they contain update commands not in 97 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If an "archive" is a file/workbook, no problem. XL97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 have the same file format. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:45:01 -0700, Ni! <Ni!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >if you send an excel 2000 archive to someone who has office 97, could this pe...

Kill Excel silently
Hi, I batch file that queries a database and creates a flat file. I want to start Excel, make graph of the data and save it as an htm file. I then want to get out of Excel. I want to do this automatically twice daily (eg at midnight). I use Scheduled tasks and a macro to start Excel and create the graph But Excel won't quit so I've set the ask Scheduler to stop Excel afte 1 minute. Here's the problem ... I get a message saying that Excel has terminate unexpectedly and would I like to send an Error Report to Microsoft?! I cannot turn this message off no matter what Service I st...

Color 8 cells on DBL click
Hello, If I clicked on a square/cell how could I get it to color a 4 X 4 cell "8 cells all together" area with the cell that was clicked being the bottom left cell? I'm using this code to color the single cell. Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Excel.Range, Cancel As Boolean) Dim BorderColor As Long If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 36 Then Target.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone BorderColor = 0 Else Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 36 BorderColor = -16776961 End If With Target .Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle = xlContinuous ....