distributing each characters on a cell

how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells?
example:

A1=HELP

then get each character

B1=H
C1=E
D1=L
E1=P

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In B1:

=MID($A$1,COLUMN(A1),1)

Copy to C1:E1

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jjuan" <jp4the_clan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OFyGM%23$9GHA.4464@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
| how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells?
| example:
|
| A1=HELP
|
| then get each character
|
| B1=H
| C1=E
| D1=L
| E1=P

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/25/2006 7:41:35 AM
And if you have lots to do in that column, you can select that column
data|text to columns
Fixed width
draw a line between each character
and tell it to put the results in B1

--

Dave Peterson
0

Auto change formula in cells when source is changed
Good day experts; If specific cells have the same formula for example: C1 = Product( A1;B1) C16 = Product(A16;B16) C17= Product(A17;B17) And so on ... What formula should i write in C16, C17, ... so that: when the formula in the source cell, C1, is changed the formulas in C16, C17, ... would automatically change accordingly. I tried "=C1" it does not work Thanks in advance Carlo carlo wrote: > Good day experts; > > If specific cells have the same formula for example: > C1 = Product( A1;B1) > C16 = Product(A16;B16) > C17= Product(A17;B17) > And so on ... ...

Linking many cells
I wish to link many cells in (e.g. A1:40) in sheet 1 to A1:A40 in sheet 2 without doing it one by one so that whaever I type in A1 sheet 1 appears in A1 sheet 2. Please any idea? dk As long as your 'from' and 'to' blocks are structured identically (eg 1 column of forty rows in your example), it's straightforward. Click in the first 'to' cell, Sheet1!A1. Type the '=' sign, then click in the first 'from' cell, Sheet2!A1, then hit enter. Your formula in Sheet!A1 should read =Sheet2!A1 (look for it in the formula bar). Grab the fill handle (th...

Cell Reference 01-12-10
What I am looking for is that when I enter a formula (In cell B1) to pick up value in A1. Now I need value from cell A5 in cell B2. Next value I need in B3 is A9. Everytime I have to change the cell values manually in column B. Formula I use : - =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) Now I need value from cell H336 and I manually change H331 to H336 shown below =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H336,0) Any way to make this automated. Thanks Ankur Bhateja ankur.bhateja@hotmail.com Instead of =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) you could say =IF(AK64<=$D$4,H331,0) ...

How do I increase query field length (>20 characters) ?
I want to exclude 3 or 4 variables from a particular query. Using Not "xx"or"yy" is fine, but when excluding more than this, query fails. I think the problem is that the total text characters is quite large (approx 60 characters in total, from four exclusions). Ideas, please ? 60 characters is not the limit. 1024 characters is the limit. POST the SQL of the query that is not working (View: SQL on the menu) or at a minimum post what you are attempting as the criteria. Also "query fails" does not tell us if you get an error (what is it) or the wrong resul...

why do i get #### in my formula cell?
I don't really know much about Excel, and my formula (it's just simple arithmetic formulas) returns with ##### displayed on the cell, with a tooltip showing the cell's correct value when I hover over it. airn, make the column wider and see if that helps -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "airn" <airn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6F4DD7C-3D7D-475C-894D-0F7745735666@microso...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

How do I display nonprintable characters
We are running Excel 2000 under Windows XP on 2 different PC's. In a spreadsheet we have imported data from a text file. The data has included some nonprintable characters which show up as squares on my PC but as spaces on my colleagues. We can use the CLEAN function to strip out the squares, but how do we get them displayed as squares on the second PC, so that we know that they are there? Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that character(s) is: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm But the only squares that sometimes disappear for me correspond to c...

Printing Issues when distributing a form to multiple users
I am distributing a spreadsheet to multiple users. The spreadsheet is being used as a form for data entry. The problem i am having is that when it is being printed, the users are getting varying page layouts where the page breaks have changed, due the changes to the length of the document growing from the free text they are entering. The page breaks that excel chooses don't seem to be spaced well, leading to one or two of the pages being very short (i.e., leaving a lot of free white space), whereas the other pages are taking up the entire page. Is there a particular page layout selection...

How to show the month of the referenced cell (containing a date)
If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will give me the following result: "Feb - 08" I tried =Month(a2)......but I just get the number of the month. Thanks. =TEXT(A2,"mmm - yy") Or simply =A2 with the cell custom formatted mmm - yy HTH. Best wishes Harald "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> skrev i melding news:165b03da-19ba-40b8-b9fe-77b17ef045b5@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will > give me the following result: > > "Feb - 08&...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

Cell with email address
I have a cell where I just want to record an email address. However, whenever I enter it tries to connect to Outlook, thinking I want to send an email. How can I stop this? -- Les Les It shouldn't try to connect unless you click on it but you can precede the entry with a single apostrophe or press Ctrl+Z after entry (undo) and a second entry should stop it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Les" <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B53EE8A-A0A8-4AFD-A09F-116DDE063747@microsoft.co...

entering Unicode characters
Hi everybody, I have a MFC app with a dialog with a Rich Edit control. I need to enter Unicode characters. When I enter Alt+nnn, I get the corresponding Unicode character (for example Alt+937 gives the greek letter omega). When I do the same with a normal edit field (not Rich Edit) I get another character (looks like french e) - probably it gets converted to ANSI. I need to be able to enter Unicode characters in the standard edit fields using the Alt+nnn method. How can I achieve that? Can I enable it somehow or do I have to implement it? I am using Windows 2000, VS 6.0. thanks for a...

can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equal 0
in another cell? =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"",(A1="yes")*1+(A1="no")*0) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "can I make cell yes equal 1, no equa" <can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E222344-E390-4D39-B82D-39586CC55A64@microsoft.com... > Picky but I don't think that you need the " +(A1="no")*0 " Just =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"&quo...

CC automatically from distribution list
I am trying to set up a distribution list and trying to automatically cc people from this list (but now all). Is there someway to do this or a macro that can allow this to happen. ...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

Find a value in cells
Hi, all, I have something like this : a 1 b 4 c 5 d 3 I'm doing a max function in the number column and it returns me '5' But, after that, I want to know the letter which corresponds to the max number How can I do that? Thanks Nic -- nicgendron ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nicgendron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25151 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386417 Let's say that...

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell
Hi All I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text? A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. Can anyone help? Colin -- Colin Vicary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10472 View this...

Getting cells to automatically delete spaces
Hi all I have got a very large spreadsheet where the information is presente as: 111111/ 1 Notice the two spaces after the forward slash. There's about 10'00 cells in the column with varying numbers but all in the above format. I need to get the two spaces deled so that it will appear as: 111111/1 Is there a way i can get excel to proccess this for me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Darre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Darren, Select the required area or a whole sheet, and do a simple Replace (Edit menu), asking Excel to replace s...

Identifying LOCKED cells
Is there a way to identify locked cells, other than going through the processof looking at each cell's format? Here's by quandry. I am working a worksheet which has both locked and unlocked cells. Unfortunately some of the locked cells should be unlocked so that data can be input. Thanks for your help To reply to this message, remove "mand" from my address. Thanks I've dragged the lock button onto a toolbar. When I click on a cell, I can glance at that and see if it's depressed (not suicidal!) or not. Tools|Customize|Commands Tab|Format category. Look for "Lo...

enter value in a cell from a combo box
How to build a combo box to be able to select a value and enter in the cell 1. Go to View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox 2. Click on the "Combobox" icon once and draw one on your worksheet (hold down the ALT button to fit to a cell). 3. Right-click on the Combobox and go to Properties. 4. In the ListFillRange type in the range of cells that contain the values to fill the combobox, like A1:A5. 5. In the LinkedCell field type a cell reference that will contain the user's selection (ie E2). 6. Click on the Exit Design Mode icon and close the toolbar. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...

paste linked cells show "0"
I have a number of cells in a range (lets say A14:J52). Some of these cells are "paste linked" from cells on other sheets. Unfortunately, when the original cell is empty, the value of the "paste linked" cell shows as "0". (not just blank like the original) Is there a way to keep the "paste linked" cell showing "0"? If not, how would I go about using VBA to systematically go through the above described range and delete those zeros? At the point I ran this code, any "0" could be deleted from the range safely whether it ...

Cell colour change automatically
Is it possible to create a formula to automatically turn a cell a given colour? Example: - If I type the word "Yes" in a cell I would like the cell to turn red automatically, If I type the word "No" in a cell I would like the cell to turn green automatically. Is this possible? If yes please recreate a formula to assist me. Many thanks -=- dustyv Take a look at "Conditional Formatting" in XL Help. In article <45794F52-0D61-4B8F-8562-A3E9E6F957BE@microsoft.com>, dustyv <dustyv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to create a formul...

Copy cell to a new cell
Hi I have a cell value in the format 90TN82C128004K00. I would like to copy the first two digits to another cell i.e. 90 and follow it up with a dummy code 00CPSS00 which will be standard for all values. the new cell should have the following value 9000CPSS00. Is there an automated function that can do this for me. Hi, If you data is in A1 enter in B1: =LEFT(A1,2)&"00CPSS00" Regards, -- AP "mohd21uk" <u20517@uwe> a �crit dans le message de news:5e5292da6a2d1@uwe... > Hi > > I have a cell value in the format 90TN82C128004K00. I would like to copy the ...

Converting cells
Hello! My problem is that I cannot see the $ sign in Format Cell window when I choose the Currency format. Even more, the cells are not changing for the currency format. Thanks for any help. Try making a custom format. Try this one: $#,##0.00;[Red]-$#,##0.00 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Cell Reference question
This is probably a simple question, but I have never seen it before. I have been looking at some spredsheets sent by some co-workers, trying to figure out their structure etc... and I have seen some cell references where the reference starts with an =+'sheetname!e2 The + (plus sign) struck me as odd, I can't recall seeing that before. Is there some significance to it? Thanks Tom Believe it's a "legacy" behaviour for die-hard Lotus converts <g> The "+" is not necessary .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...