Displaying only specified values-not using Autofilter

I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
might be of some help.

I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
containing value "2", and so on.

Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance!

-- 
Dave Holman

0
11/23/2006 7:13:41 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

8 Replies
755 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

You could copy your sheet (CTRL-drag the tab, or right-click on the
tab) and then sort it on the second sheet - all the "1"s will appear
first, followed by the "2"s etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

David Holman wrote:

> I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
> for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> might be of some help.
>
> I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
> sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
> and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
> in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
> want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> containing value "2", and so on.
>
> Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
> will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
> 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
> that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
> or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
>
> Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> advance!
> 
> -- 
> Dave Holman

0
pashurst (2576)
11/23/2006 7:23:48 PM
Is there a reason not to SORT?

-- 
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
dguillett1@austin.rr.com
"David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
> for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> might be of some help.
>
> I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
> sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
> and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
> in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
> want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> containing value "2", and so on.
>
> Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
> will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
> 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
> that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
> or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
>
> Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> advance!
>
> -- 
> Dave Holman
> 


0
dguillett1 (2487)
11/23/2006 7:53:53 PM
Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of rows
containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some of
those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). To
provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, or
classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to select
'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using Data -->
Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who could
be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.

I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So say
the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
"SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the right
or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the breakfast
items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.

The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need be.
I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from a
fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for the
user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have been
selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or worker
shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of the
material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection for
't' periods at once.

--
Dave Holman

Don Guillett wrote:
> Is there a reason not to SORT?
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
> > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> > might be of some help.
> >
> > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
> > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
> > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
> > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
> > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> > containing value "2", and so on.
> >
> > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
> > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
> > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
> > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
> > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
> >
> > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > -- 
> > Dave Holman
> >

0
11/23/2006 8:35:15 PM
What you are describing here is totally different to what you say in
your first posting, or perhaps I misunderstood. You seem to be saying
now that you want to make a selection from the "1"s on Sheet 1 and have
only that selection displayed/copied to Sheet 2, followed by the
selection from the "2"s etc.

Is this correct?

Pete

David Holman wrote:

> Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of rows
> containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some of
> those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). To
> provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, or
> classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to select
> 'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
> 'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using Data -->
> Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
> classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who could
> be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.
>
> I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So say
> the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
> items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
> "SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the right
> or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
> wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the breakfast
> items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.
>
> The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need be.
> I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from a
> fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for the
> user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have been
> selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or worker
> shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of the
> material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
> simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection for
> 't' periods at once.
>
> --
> Dave Holman
>
> Don Guillett wrote:
> > Is there a reason not to SORT?
> >
> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > SalesAid Software
> > dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> > "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
> > > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> > > might be of some help.
> > >
> > > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> > > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> > > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
> > > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
> > > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
> > > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> > > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
> > > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> > > containing value "2", and so on.
> > >
> > > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
> > > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> > > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> > > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
> > > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
> > > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
> > > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
> > >
> > > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> > > advance!
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Dave Holman
> > >

0
pashurst (2576)
11/23/2006 8:44:32 PM
Hi David

Take a look at Advanced Filter, extracting data to a second sheet.
Using Data Validation to give the user dropdowns to make their various 
selections, then use some VBA code attached to a button to invoke the 
filter, draw the records across and hide any columns of data that are 
not really required, to provide an uncluttered view. I use this a lot.

For more information on how to use this and some downloadable sample 
files, take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs
-- 
Regards

Roger Govier


"David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1164314115.414228.118010@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...
> Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of rows
> containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some of
> those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). To
> provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, or
> classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to 
> select
> 'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
> 'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using 
> Data -->
> Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
> classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who 
> could
> be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.
>
> I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So say
> the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
> items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
> "SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the 
> right
> or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
> wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the breakfast
> items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.
>
> The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need 
> be.
> I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from a
> fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for the
> user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have been
> selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or worker
> shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of 
> the
> material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
> simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection for
> 't' periods at once.
>
> --
> Dave Holman
>
> Don Guillett wrote:
>> Is there a reason not to SORT?
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped 
>> >me
>> > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
>> > might be of some help.
>> >
>> > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
>> > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
>> > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for 
>> > simplicity
>> > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 
>> > 1
>> > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value 
>> > "1"
>> > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
>> > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, 
>> > I
>> > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
>> > containing value "2", and so on.
>> >
>> > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all 
>> > that
>> > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
>> > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
>> > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 
>> > 3, or
>> > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel 
>> > magic
>> > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or 
>> > understand,
>> > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
>> >
>> > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 
>> > in
>> > advance!
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > Dave Holman
>> >
> 


0
roger5293 (1125)
11/23/2006 8:52:21 PM
Roger,

Going through the website offered by Ms. Dalgleish proved
extraordinarily helpful. It seems I hadn't really understood the
Autofilter function before looking at the site (as I'd been using the
thing completely incorrectly). Now all I have to do is figure out how
to make these filtered records live, or at least instantly
re-generatable as the selected records change, something I suspect I
can work out by doing a little research, reviewing the samples on the
website, and/or working to come up with some VB code to incorporate
into a button that will accomplish the same thing as (if I'm reading
your reply correctly), you suggested. Thank you for taking the time to
explain this; it's very much appreciated!

--
Dave Holman


Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Take a look at Advanced Filter, extracting data to a second sheet.
> Using Data Validation to give the user dropdowns to make their various
> selections, then use some VBA code attached to a button to invoke the
> filter, draw the records across and hide any columns of data that are
> not really required, to provide an uncluttered view. I use this a lot.
>
> For more information on how to use this and some downloadable sample
> files, take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site
> http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs
> --
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>
>
> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1164314115.414228.118010@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...
> > Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of rows
> > containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some of
> > those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). To
> > provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, or
> > classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to
> > select
> > 'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
> > 'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using
> > Data -->
> > Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
> > classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who
> > could
> > be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.
> >
> > I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So say
> > the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
> > items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
> > "SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the
> > right
> > or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
> > wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the breakfast
> > items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.
> >
> > The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need
> > be.
> > I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from a
> > fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for the
> > user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have been
> > selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or worker
> > shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of
> > the
> > material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
> > simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection for
> > 't' periods at once.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Holman
> >
> > Don Guillett wrote:
> >> Is there a reason not to SORT?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Don Guillett
> >> SalesAid Software
> >> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> >> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >> >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped
> >> >me
> >> > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> >> > might be of some help.
> >> >
> >> > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> >> > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> >> > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for
> >> > simplicity
> >> > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet
> >> > 1
> >> > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value
> >> > "1"
> >> > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> >> > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values,
> >> > I
> >> > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> >> > containing value "2", and so on.
> >> >
> >> > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all
> >> > that
> >> > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> >> > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> >> > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2,
> >> > 3, or
> >> > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel
> >> > magic
> >> > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or
> >> > understand,
> >> > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
> >> >
> >> > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> >> > in
> >> > advance!
> >> >
> >> > -- 
> >> > Dave Holman
> >> >
> >

0
11/24/2006 6:46:35 AM
No, it's not different, rather it seems I just described what I was
trying to do really poorly the first time around. I'm sorry about that.
Roger pointed me to a good site elsewhere in this thread, and I _think_
I can use that to accomplish what I'm trying to do (which is in fact
what you deduced below). Thanks for your time and effort, and sorry
about the confusion!

--
Dave Holman

Pete_UK wrote:
> What you are describing here is totally different to what you say in
> your first posting, or perhaps I misunderstood. You seem to be saying
> now that you want to make a selection from the "1"s on Sheet 1 and have
> only that selection displayed/copied to Sheet 2, followed by the
> selection from the "2"s etc.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Pete
>
> David Holman wrote:
>
> > Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of rows
> > containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some of
> > those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). To
> > provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, or
> > classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to select
> > 'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
> > 'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using Data -->
> > Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
> > classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who could
> > be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.
> >
> > I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So say
> > the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
> > items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
> > "SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the right
> > or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
> > wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the breakfast
> > items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.
> >
> > The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need be.
> > I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from a
> > fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for the
> > user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have been
> > selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or worker
> > shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of the
> > material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
> > simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection for
> > 't' periods at once.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Holman
> >
> > Don Guillett wrote:
> > > Is there a reason not to SORT?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Don Guillett
> > > SalesAid Software
> > > dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> > > "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > > >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's stumped me
> > > > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this newsgroup
> > > > might be of some help.
> > > >
> > > > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from one
> > > > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call it
> > > > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for simplicity
> > > > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to sheet 1
> > > > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing value "1"
> > > > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
> > > > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these values, I
> > > > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the rows
> > > > containing value "2", and so on.
> > > >
> > > > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all that
> > > > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to size
> > > > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able to
> > > > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 2, 3, or
> > > > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of Excel magic
> > > > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or understand,
> > > > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
> > > >
> > > > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> > > > advance!
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Dave Holman
> > > >

0
11/24/2006 6:50:50 AM
Hi David

Thanks for the feedback. Post back if you get stuck.

-- 
Regards

Roger Govier


"David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1164350795.362503.198470@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> Roger,
>
> Going through the website offered by Ms. Dalgleish proved
> extraordinarily helpful. It seems I hadn't really understood the
> Autofilter function before looking at the site (as I'd been using the
> thing completely incorrectly). Now all I have to do is figure out how
> to make these filtered records live, or at least instantly
> re-generatable as the selected records change, something I suspect I
> can work out by doing a little research, reviewing the samples on the
> website, and/or working to come up with some VB code to incorporate
> into a button that will accomplish the same thing as (if I'm reading
> your reply correctly), you suggested. Thank you for taking the time to
> explain this; it's very much appreciated!
>
> --
> Dave Holman
>
>
> Roger Govier wrote:
>> Hi David
>>
>> Take a look at Advanced Filter, extracting data to a second sheet.
>> Using Data Validation to give the user dropdowns to make their 
>> various
>> selections, then use some VBA code attached to a button to invoke the
>> filter, draw the records across and hide any columns of data that are
>> not really required, to provide an uncluttered view. I use this a 
>> lot.
>>
>> For more information on how to use this and some downloadable sample
>> files, take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site
>> http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Roger Govier
>>
>>
>> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1164314115.414228.118010@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com...
>> > Two reasons, at least as near as I can tell. First, the number of 
>> > rows
>> > containing information is substantial; about 250 in fact. Only some 
>> > of
>> > those rows will contain the aforementioned values (1, 2, 3, etc.). 
>> > To
>> > provide a clearer example, say one is looking at items on a menu, 
>> > or
>> > classes at a University, or available workers. You might wish to
>> > select
>> > 'eggs', 'bacon', and 'sausage' for BREAKFAST, and 'steak' and
>> > 'potatoes' for DINNER, while omitting 'corn' and 'tofu' (using
>> > Data -->
>> > Validation to create a list of options). Similar logic applies for
>> > classes that someone might enroll in at University or workers who
>> > could
>> > be assigned to Shift A,Shift B, and Shift C.
>> >
>> > I'd like sheet one then to only display those selected items. So 
>> > say
>> > the first area of the spreadsheet could be formatted to display all
>> > items that were selected for 'BREAKFAST' or "WINTER SEMESTER', or
>> > "SHIFT A'. Then the next section of the spreadsheet, be it to the
>> > right
>> > or further down the page, would display 'LUNCH', 'SHIFT B', etc. It
>> > wouldn't be very valuable to first display, say, all of the 
>> > breakfast
>> > items, and then list the other 247 items just below that.
>> >
>> > The second reason is simply aesthetic, and can be discarded if need
>> > be.
>> > I want to create a consolidated sheet wherein selections taken from 
>> > a
>> > fairly large database are consolidated and made easy to view for 
>> > the
>> > user. That way, they can tell at a quick glance what items have 
>> > been
>> > selected for each and every period (be it meals, semesters, or 
>> > worker
>> > shifts) without being distracted by having to view the other 98% of
>> > the
>> > material that they have no use for. In other words, I'm trying to
>> > simplify their planning by enabling them to view every selection 
>> > for
>> > 't' periods at once.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dave Holman
>> >
>> > Don Guillett wrote:
>> >> Is there a reason not to SORT?
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Don Guillett
>> >> SalesAid Software
>> >> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> >> "David Holman" <davidmholman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:1164309221.074998.13000@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> >> >I have a somewhat unusual question based on something that's 
>> >> >stumped
>> >> >me
>> >> > for over a week. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this 
>> >> > newsgroup
>> >> > might be of some help.
>> >> >
>> >> > I'm attempting to display all of the results of value "x" from 
>> >> > one
>> >> > sheet on another. To elaborate, sheet 2 has a column, let's call 
>> >> > it
>> >> > column A. Each cell in column A has a value, let's say, for
>> >> > simplicity
>> >> > sake, "1", "2", "3", or "4". What I want to do is go back to 
>> >> > sheet
>> >> > 1
>> >> > and format it in such a way that all of the rows containing 
>> >> > value
>> >> > "1"
>> >> > in the aforementioned cell are displayed, however many rows that
>> >> > happens to be, be it one or fifteen. Next to or below these 
>> >> > values,
>> >> > I
>> >> > want to display the same data, only this time using all of the 
>> >> > rows
>> >> > containing value "2", and so on.
>> >> >
>> >> > Obviously, I can't use something like a standard filter, as all
>> >> > that
>> >> > will serve to do is compress all of the nonconforming rows to 
>> >> > size
>> >> > zero, and that's not really conducive to my goal of being able 
>> >> > to
>> >> > display _all_ of the results, based on each distinct value (1, 
>> >> > 2,
>> >> > 3, or
>> >> > 4). Does doing this require a macro or some similar type of 
>> >> > Excel
>> >> > magic
>> >> > that I simply don't have the experience to either derive or
>> >> > understand,
>> >> > or am I missing something reasonably straightforward?
>> >> >
>> >> > Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. 
>> >> > Thanks
>> >> > in
>> >> > advance!
>> >> >
>> >> > -- 
>> >> > Dave Holman
>> >> >
>> >
> 


0
roger5293 (1125)
11/24/2006 8:43:51 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Finding the Display name in CRM 4.0 Database
In CRM 3.0 the attribute Display and Label names were not stored in the CRM db, does anyone know if this has changed in 4.0? If not, does anyone know of a tool or bit of code out there that can retrieve this data? Any help would be excellent. --MD To clarify, the issue I'm having with 4.0 is that the data field call "FieldXml" in the FilteredOrganizationUI view does not contain any data. Has anyone else encountered this?? This was the place whereby you could parse the XML and find things like Tab Names, Display Names, etc. It's no longer at our disposal. What gives?? --MD ...

Setup Outlook Rule to use Import --will not work when sending email from Adobe
Hello, Can anyone please help me figure out why an Import box will not automatically pop up whenever we 'cc' our document management program straight from Adobe? We have set up a Rule in Outlook to automatically open the Import so we can index our document into the right category by using the cc. However.... Some of the user's computers will not work with Adobe in having this box automatically open like it does if they were sending from Outlook. I have tried in vain to find where the changed setting is but to no avail. Why will Adobe not work with Outlook (or vice versa) in...

Cannot Display All Cell Characters
I have a column in a workbook that contains all text (comments) One of the cells does not display all characters I know that Excel 97 has a 256 character limit per cell. Is there any way to get around this limit Thanks EU Read about in HELP, index, specifications Try using Alt+Enter to force a line break -- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "exceluser@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

Cannot download attachments using OWA
Exchange Server 2003 w/SP1 on Windows Server 2003 I have one user who is cannot save or view attachments via OWA. She experiences this problem using her Windows XP SP2 laptop at work or at home as well as on her machine at home. The attachment works fine when she opens the email via Outlook 2003. The error she gets when she tries to save the attachment is: "Internet Explorer cannot download Dept Reports.doc?attach=1 from mail.mydomain.com. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later....

turning a report into an html page using 2007
I'm using access 2007, does anyone know how to turn a report into an html page where all my subreports and clickable buttons would be active ...

Excel
hi, anyone to solve my problem ? I have an Abacus that contain : Cell B1 to R1 contain (CABLE SIZE): 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 95mm, 120mm, 150mm, 185mm, 2x70mm, 2x95mm, 2x120mm, 2x150mm and 2x185mm Cell A2 to A20 contain (POWER): 0.4kw, 0.75kw, 1.5kw, 2.2kw, 3.7kw, 5.5kw, 7.5kw, 11kw, 15kw, 18.5kw, 22kw, 30kw, 37kw, 45kw, 55kw, 89kw, 90kw, 110kw, 132kw Cell B2 to R20 contain a number (Maximum Length). How can I find the "CABLE SIZE" (Cell B1 to R1) if I have a POWER and a LENGTH? PS, the LENGTH I have his not a value in the table, so I want to take the a...

Should I Upgrade from 2000 to 2004 so I can use Pocket Money?
I currently use MS Money 2000 standard with no problems. I also have an iPaq 1945 that I'd like to use Pocket Money with, but can't since I'm using 2000 on the desktop. I have a paid copy of 2004 standard (came with new PC). Is it worth upgrading (converting the .mny file, having my bank 'upgrade' my profile to use online banking, etc.) to 2004 just so I can use Pocket Money and sync with my iPaq, which has Windows Mobile 2003? Any opinions? Is Pocket Money + desktop Money worth the hassle? Or, is Quicken + Pocket Quicken a better combination? I'd really l...

MS Money 2004
Items appear on report that should not... How do i remove 1. Item has 0 Quantity, 6.42 Latest Price (but it is closed and has not been updated in years) 0 Cost Basis, 6.25 Avg Cost Per share, 0 Unrealized and 0 Value Why is still shown ? Better how do i get it off 2.1. Item has 0 Quantity, 112.93 Latest Price (but it is closed and has not been updated in years) 0.03 Cost Basis, 80.75 Avg Cost Per share, 0.02 Unrealized and 0.05 Value - how to i get this to zero and off the report.. there is no quantity thanks -- ben ...

Get the max value of a column given the current date (this is hard!!!) #2
It's nice that it was able to recognize its reason code and its ma value for the date located at B2, but what if the date at a1 wa changed, let's say the value of a1 is 11/2/04? How can it locate the column of the current date located at a1? an find its max value and its reason code? the value of a1 is the current date. I hope that you can still help me with this one, thanks! Grac -- Shadow_Otix ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shadow_Otixz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1597 View this thread: ...

Home Equity Accounts
I'm trying to setup a Home Equity Line of Credit Account in Money to track my payments, and equity value left on the equity payments. I've scoured the help files, microsoft support, and other technical communities/blogs/newsletters, and can't seem to find if Money can support this feature (or how I'm doing in incorrectly). There are two parts to my question: 1) I setup an "Other" account, set the account specifics (limit, interest rate, etc.). When a payment shows up in my checking account, I associate the payment (thru the categories section) as a Transfer t...

When I copy a formula to other cells, it displays the data ....
in the field I copied from. I did NOT use absolute in the formula. If I double click on the cell with the incorrect data then press enter, the data is updated and correct. What is going on here, I have never had this happen before? Thanks in advance to any answers... -- Jeff Hi goto 'Tools - options - Calculate' and enable 'Automatic Calculation' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:46B66AFC-512C-45AD-A073-AA2FBB1A606D@microsoft.com... > in the field I copied from. I did NO...

Use Outlook With SQL Server 7!
I have recently installed MS-Outloook 2000 in my Win 2000 Professional system. I want Outlook to be the default mail client so that I can send mails from SQL Server 7 but when I start Outlook for the 1st time after installing it, I am facing problems. As soon as I start Outlook, the 1st step gives 2 options to select from -Microsoft Exchange Server & Internet Email.Since I want to use Outlook solely for sending mails from SQL Server, I select the former. The next step prompts me to enter the MS-Exchange Server & the Mailbox. This is where I am getting stuck. What do I enter as the MS-...

Values for GP fields
I am sure I have seen a complete or near complete list of these GP code values somewhere, but can't find it. I want to publish a list of these for my Crystal Reports users. For all GP tables, anyone? ********************* Field values Ethnic Origin: 1. Caucasian 2. Native American 3. Black 4. Asian 5. Hispanic 6. Other 7. N/A Gender: 1. male 2. female 3. N/A. Marital Status: 1. Married 2. Single 3. N/A A near complete (as complete as we could make it) list is found in our Information Flow and Posting book available from our web site below. Every Crystal Report writer should have...

Expose, Spaces and Multiple Displays don't function properly with Office 2008
When I hover my mouse over different documents open in Office 2008 they do not highlight correctly (i.e. wrong size highlight with no title) and with multiple documents open it often goes to the wrong document when selected. In Spaces the Tool Palette doesn't show up and doesn't switch spaces correctly. Also documents don't remain in separate spaces from Word or Excel. When Multiple Displays are used the window is often moved and resized improperly when using other display features. Also, Word has crashed serveral times for me... more times than the alpha and beta versions of ot...

Node(s) for Loding Credit Card info using eConnect?
We use the "Payables Transaction Entry" & "Payables Transaction Entry Distribution" screens to load Credit Card data. We can get the data in a spreadsheet and wish to load them directly using eConnect. Can someone point me to the node or nodes for loading this Credit Card data into GP 9.0 using eConnect? DavidM: If you are looking to populate credit card type of information on a payment right on the invoice - you would look at these fields in the taPMTransactionInsert procedure: @I_vCRCRDAMT - the credit card amount @I_vCCAMPYNM - the credit card payment number...

Copy and Paste a formula as Values in a fixed Range as a loop statement using VBA
I have 3 work sheets i.e. a "Summary" sheet, a "Phase1" and a "Phase2" sheet The Phase1 and Phase2 sheets are a result of certain parameters that are entered separately for each of the Phases that produces the results in them. All the 3 sheets have fixed ranges and they are A2:AC151, the dates are within the range C3:AC150 for each Phase. All the 3 sheets have the same structure something like this A B C D E SAP NO CostCenter Dec-03 Jan-04 Feb-04 422100 DTF-Office 60,000 186,000 174,000 422140 DTF-Office 40,000 124,000 116,000...

Upgrading OutlookXP to Outlook 2003 Using GPO
I'm trying to get every client on my network on the same version of Outlook and I'd like to know the most efficient method for upgrading to 2003. I have a logon script setup and although it works, I don't think it is the most effective way. Tips? ...

I want to change the series shown in a chart by using a dropdown b
I have 4 series on a graph and I would like to be able to change which series is displayed (i.e. 1 of 4, or 2 of 4, 3 of 4, or all 4). I would like to do it by drop down menu if possible. Is this possible? Send me a sample file and I will show how. Remove TRUENORTH -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04DDBC1C-0558-4A89-83B7-517F7F6F404C@microsoft.com... >I have 4 series on a graph and I would like to be able to change which >series > is displayed (i.e. 1 of 4, or ...

searching in a text file with a specified string and deleting the string(URGENT)
Hi I have 2 text file which is having its content as follows... ---------------------text file 1----------------------------- atlanta moris hangaroo -------------------- -----------upto random number of lines ------------------end of text file 1------------------------ ---------------------text file 2----------------------------- www.abc.com www.sea.com www.random.com -------------------- -----------upto random number of lines ------------------end of text file 2------------------------ Now my requirement is that -> User will input a string value which may or may not exist in ...

Gen Question: when to use a Child Workflow?
HI, I am new to workflows, about 10 under my belt. I am setting up a few new ones; 3 different things I want to happen when an Opportunity is Won. Should I set these up as Parent/chilren, or just set up 3 different Workflows based on the Opportunity status changing? What is the advantage to using Parent/Child workflows and can you give me an example of when I should do that? Thanks! -- Laura Barber <If I have helped you in some way, please click ''Yes'' on the post. Thanks!> Just wanted to add details: When opportunity is won I want: 1. New case added to syste...

Re-direct without Exchange using Outlook XP?
Is there a way to have Outlook XP redirect email without owning Exchange? I want to buy a Blackberry, and I want to keep my existing email account. thanks in advancee. Please respond here to the group. My email address is not listed so as to escape at least some spam. :) What do you mean "re-direct?" You can use Rules Wizard to forward mail if that is what you mean. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives and finding no answer, News <blarg@blarg.com> asked: | Is there a way to have Outlo...

Link error/Warning using macro in files converted to Excel 2007 (.
Problem: Receiving the following message during macro run "This workbook contains one or more links that can not be updated" with the continue or edit buttons. This only occurs for some files, which have no distinguishing characteristic differences to the non warning message files Background: Excel files converted, thru manual converter (open file, check compatibility, and convert) from 2003 to 2007 Macros only conversion was find and replace .xls with .xlsb Normal manual refresh of links works fine All files have exactly the same settings 1. R...

how to count one value or another across multiple columns?
I have thre columns: One holds names (record keys), another could hold "X", the last can have a "Y". I want to know how many records have either an "X" or a "Y" value? For example: Column A Column B Column C Matt X Bill Y John X Y Fred X Y Tom How many records (i.e. column A) have either an X or Y? Hi! What result do you exp...

Negative value and zero
If I have a negative value and I want other equations to use that negative value but I want to cell to show a 0 whenever there is a negative, how do I formulate that? Thanks In Advance Steven Connor Fornat>Cells>Custom. In the Type box, enter #,##0;"0" or some other format, as long as the part after the semicolon is a zero between quotes -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "**{Steven}**" <none@myisp.com> wrote in message news:%234sawDV%23DHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > If I have a negative value and I want other equations to use th...

Controlling Shipments/Deliveries using CRM 3.0
All, I am interested if anybody has managed to use CRM to track shipments of say, hardware, that relates to either a specific account or a specific sub-account. Is this possible? I am trying to create the relationship between, say, a new entity called "Shipment" and an Account. I will need the details of this shipment to come from an order placed under an Account. Hopefully, this is clear. Dave Dave, Are you trying to set up actually shipping information (i.e. UPS tracking #'s)? I'd be more interested in how you would do that. I was waiting for ZFirm to upda...