Display Sheetname in a cell

I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the
margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions).

Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a
formula?

I tried putting

Function GetSheetName() As String
    GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
End Function

in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly
discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to
re-evaluate.

Suggestions?

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)
6/2/2009 4:48:42 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this:

=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)

You can put that in *any* cell on the sheet. The file must have been saved
at least once and given a name.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe@nevergmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the
> margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions).
>
> Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a
> formula?
>
> I tried putting
>
> Function GetSheetName() As String
>    GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
> End Function
>
> in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly
> discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to
> re-evaluate.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Clif

0
biffinpitt (3172)
6/2/2009 5:01:28 PM
Use application.volatile

Function GetSheetName() As String
Application.Volatile
GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
End Function

Regards,
Shailesh Shah
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
If You Can't Excel with Talent, Triumph with Effort.

Free Addins Office Menu-2003 for Office-2007
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/menuaddins

Use Free Accounting Software "Busywin UL 3.5 "as per Principle of Book
Keeping having vat enabled invoice printing and vat computation with
inventory tracking by Busy Infotech from below page.
http://www.busy.in/index.php?p=fas

"Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe@nevergmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the
> margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions).
>
> Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a
> formula?
>
> I tried putting
>
> Function GetSheetName() As String
>    GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
> End Function
>
> in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly
> discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to
> re-evaluate.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Clif

Thanks!  I'd seen the cell function help, but didn't realize that the
sheetname was included as part of filename.

Just what I needed.

--
Clif

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)
6/2/2009 5:09:56 PM
Thank you, Shailesh.

This time I'll probably stay with the native CELL worksheet function
because that doesn't require a code module if someone happens to copy
the worksheet to a different book <grin>.

However, I'll try to remember Application.Volatile for future reference!

Thanks again.

--
Clif

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)

> Thanks!  I'd seen the cell function help, but didn't realize that the
> sheetname was included as part of filename.
>
> Just what I needed.
>
> --
> Clif
>
> "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Try this:
>>
>> =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)
>>
>> You can put that in *any* cell on the sheet. The file must have been
>> saved at least once and given a name.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe@nevergmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the
>>> margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions).
>>>
>>> Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a
>>> formula?
>>>
>>> I tried putting
>>>
>>> Function GetSheetName() As String
>>>    GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
>>> End Function
>>>
>>> in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly
>>> discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to
>>> re-evaluate.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clif
>>>

> --
> Clif

0
biffinpitt (3172)
6/2/2009 5:29:34 PM
But using the activesheet's name could cause trouble.  No matter which sheet
held the formula, it would always return the name of the activesheet when excel
recalculated.

Option Explicit
Function GetSheetName() As String
    Application.Volatile
    GetSheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name
End Function

application.caller is the cell that holds the formula.

So application.caller.parent is the worksheet that holds that cell.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> But using the activesheet's name could cause trouble.  No matter which
> sheet
> held the formula, it would always return the name of the activesheet
> when excel
> recalculated.

Very crucial distinction.  I can see that .Caller is another useful
property worth being familiar with!

Thanks!

--
Clif

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)

Testing a range of cells in an IF FUNCTION
Trying to test a range of cells in an IF Function. I would like the function to look at 15 cells in a single row, find a value within those cells, and then return another value if TRUE/FALSE. As of now, I can only apply the "logical test" in the IF formula for ONE CELL ONLY. I would like it to test a RANGE of cells in one row, find if any of the values match my logical test, and then return a value. Anyone understand or know how to do this? I tried apply "lookup" function, but I don't think it will work Please help Aaro aaronplange at hotmail.com Hi maybe someth...

assign cell content as file name
I am attempting to create a macro that will save a workbook with the file name under which I save the workbook coming from the contents of one of the cells in the workbook. Suppose that each time the workbook was altered, a specific cell (A1 on Sheet1 for instance) contained the desired file name for that workbook. It is my goal to create a macro that automatically assigns said workbook a name based on the content of that cell. Any help would be most appreciated. Something like??? dim myFileName as string myfilename = "C:\temp\" & thisworkbook.worksheets("sheet1"...

spell check does not visually cycle through cells when run from macro?
I'm trying to recreate the same behavior in a macro that spellcheck has when the spellcheck button is pressed. The spellcheck does not cycle through the cells visually when run from a macro, so when there is a misspelled word, you cannot see the cell it is a part of. If anyone knows how I can get this behavior to work, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I did a record new macro, and got code similar to the following: Sub testSpelling() Range("F2:F500").Select Selection.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033 End Sub thanks, dan Dan, Add the fiollowing to your code as shown: ...

Formatting cells from internet
I have copied and pasted a chart from a website. (The website will not let me import) The cells are showing numbered values, but when i go to put the formula in it is giving me a zero like it cannot read the numbers in the cell. That is on 3 seperate columns. On the very last column it is reading the numbers I cannot make it recognize that those columns are numbers to be used in formulas Thanks for your help! Use Dave McRitchie's Trimall macro to clean up the data. Then copy an empty cell, select all your data and do Edit / PasteSpecial / Add and it will coerce all data back to nu...

displyaing the referenced cells ?
Hi everyone ! Working on an excel file full of references, it would be very useful to be able to make the display to jump directly to the cells referenced by the active cells I currently see. So if my cell TU789 reference the cell JI890, I don't want to search for JI 890, but would like excel to automatically show me this cell. Do you know if it is possible ? Is there a shortcut for that ? Thanks, JR. It would be difficult to do that generically, as the cell could contain a formula that references several other cells - which one should be chosen in this case? You might think about using ...

Dialog displayed
Hi I'm creating a dialog and calling it with domodal(). Is there a message handler or something insode my dialogclass that is called after the dialog is displayed? Thanks Urban Yes & No. Take a look at the OnInitDialog() message handler. OnInitDialog() gets called before the dialog is displayed. However you can post a user-defined message to yourself from the OnInitDialog() handler, and handle things that you want to do after the dialog is displayed. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Urban Stadler" <mail@ustadler....

how do I display email addresses memorized by autocomplete?
I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have not been entered into my contacts, that I would like to access. Any ideas? This is a great tool for it: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html -- Ricardo Silva Add-ins for Microsoft(c) Outlook(c) http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/products.html "alyankee" <alyankee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09CC2496-662A-4919-904C-EF6D93A51033@microsoft.com... >I have many email addresses that autocomplete has memorized, but that have > not been entered i...

can lookup return cell reference istead of "text" for sumif?
I am trying to use a lookup-function to determine a different sum range for several criteria. Like so: =Sumif($A$7:$A$1447;"<"&X3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false)-Sumif($A$7:$A $1447;"<"&y3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false) The problem is that the vlookup returns text and not the cell reference. Is there a way to get the answer from the lookup expressed as cell reference instead of text, since sumif can't use text, just the cell reference? I use it to calculate the number of hours the staff should be paid, so it's different from weekdays to saturdays, holidays...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

Highlighting A Cell
Does anyone know how to do a formula that says if a cell equals the wor FALSE then highlight this particular cell gray? Example: Typing in Cell A2 IF A1 = FALSE then gray otherwise white I tried to do it in Conditioning Formatting but can't figure it out t reference another cell. Any help would be greatly appreciated -- Coltsfa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Coltsfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1998 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46898 Good evening Colt...

Make a cell flash
Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.htm -- Gary's Student "Lloyd" wrote: > Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 see response in excel.misc -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08B5FB85-6AAB-4B7E-ABC1-8CC8E2B61466@microsoft.com... > Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 Thanks for the link. I ...

Calculating values for empty cells.
Hello. I have a very simple problem that I cannot find the answer to. I have data in two columns, some of the data in one of the columns is missing and I want to automatically extrapolate what the data should be based on the trend. How can I get Excel to fill in empty values without overwriting the known values. Below is a sample of my data. 1500 1600 1700 1800 4000 1887 5700 1900 5500 1910 7300 1912 8100 1920 8800 1926 10100 1930 11900 1936 12200 1938 -- Ryan Taylor rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com Not sure what yo...

Extracting Time from a cell that has both the date and the time
Hi Folks, I could do with some help here please. I am trying to extract the time only from a cell that has both the date and the time. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance. :confused: -- Hani Muhtadi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hani Muhtadi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26794 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466177 If you just wish the time to display, set the cell format to Time. If you wish to use the time portion then =A1-Int(A1) will give you...

Averaging cell's...problems with Div/0
Hi guys. First time poster here so be gentle with me. I am looking fo some assistance averaging a range of 1 to 3 numbers. Here is what I have so far. =(D3+F3+H3)/(IF(C3=0,0,1)+IF(E3=0,0,1)+IF(G3=0,0,1)) This works great. What it does is checks to see if there is a value i the cell, then counts it and divides by the right number. I.E if yo only have two values out of 3 filled in it divides the number by tw instead of 3. My problem... if all 3 fields are 0 then I get a divide by 0 error. Any suggestion on how to fix this? I don't want my spreadsheet to loo messy before I start plu...

How can I autofill a series to reference non adjacent cells?
I need to create a list of values by referencing a series of non adjacent cells (they are separated by a set number of rows each but in the same column). For example the cells should read something like =b2 =b4 =b6 =b8. Of course I could type these in individually but threre are something like 100 values. Is there a way to auto fill this? Look at the indirect function for your example =indirect("B"&(row()*2)) copied down a column will give you a list for non adjacencies. "Microcell" wrote: > I need to create a list of values by referencing a series of...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

access a cell in a range
I have variables: dim myrange as Range dim myString as String myrange specifies a specific column. How can I specify the cell in row 1 of myRange so I can set it's contents to myString? Hi there keyser soze, (Fan of the movie, eh? ;) <g> ) Like so .. myString = myRange(1).Value HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) <keyser_Soze@usa.com> wrote in message news:1128697509.320303.12550@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have variables: > > dim myrange as Range > dim myString as String > > myrange specifies a specific ...

Moving from cell to cell
Moving from cell to cell using arrow key stopped working. Help! Maybe hit Scroll Lock key... If Scroll Lock is on, the arrows still work, but in a different way. HTH Regards, Howard "crys0814" <crys0814@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B985BCA-BFB8-4718-8ED8-833BE78D8895@microsoft.com... > Moving from cell to cell using arrow key stopped working. Help! Hi there cry0814, It is possible that you have accidentally pressed your scroll lock key which disables your arrow keys. Try pressing it again and let us know your results Regard...

Two different cells
I have a file with more the 1000 names and addresses. My proble is that the firat and last names are in 2 differents cells. I i would like to put it in teh same cell. Is there anyway I csn do that? Please help too many names to re-type Carlos Assuming that Column A contains the first name and Column B the last name... =A1&" "&B1 OR =B1&", "&A1 ....depending on your preference. Hope this helps! In article <520FA0CA-1940-42E5-B84D-22BA15D59638@microsoft.com>, "Hombreck" <Hombreck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a...

imbed excel cell text in a shape
I need to insert a number into a shape that corresponds to a cell in excel. Kinda like the exploded parts view in a car repair manual. A callout shape with a text value "123" that is linked to cell A1 in file ***.xls. It would be nice to be able to auto generate the callouts from the excel file. shape 123 is cell A1, shape 124 is cell A2 and so on. Thanks what version of visio are you running? al "mystified" <mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80B4E390-190A-41D9-AC4A-F96C1DA6FB6E@microsoft.com... >I need to insert a number into a s...

Excel2000: Strange behaviour for one cell in workbook
Hi The situation: There is a Excel workbook used for registering working time in firm departments, created earlier. The worksheets are protected, and I don't have the password, as author isn't working here anymore. The workbook is stored as read-only on network resource, and monthly every department is copying it to local computer and filling the table. The table's body has 2 rows data for every employee with 31 columns for month's dates, and several protected summary columns. For every date, working hours or some code string is entered into according cell. One of codes, and ...

Conditional Formatting
Hi I need some help with conditional formatting. I'm trying to highlight those cells which have a plus sign in them. Can someone help with the formula to enter into the conditional formatting dialogue? Grateful for any assistance. Best Wishes Hi Colin if the Plus sign + is part of a text string Select the column range first then =FIND("+",A2:$A$160) change the range to your needs. If the + sign is alone in the cell, you don't need a formula, just select > Cell value is > then select Equal to> and type the plus sign in the third box. H...

message does not display on in-coming mail
in outlook express, for in-coming mail, i see the sender, attachments and subject but the space for the message is blank. any suggestions Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here...

How do I get a chart to display backwards/forwards?
I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't display backwards. The nearest day displays on the left side of the chart, not the right. How do I change that? Double click on the axis, select the scale tab, and check "Values in reverse order" Jerry Will wrote: > I have stock data. Row 35 is the nearest day. Row 36 is the next day, etc. > When I chart the data using a 2 axes chart (custom), the chart doesn't > display backwards. The nearest day displays on the ...