Display only duplicate values and delete UNIQUE Items

All

I have a very large list of data and on a monthly basis i need to
display only the duplicate items in a spreadsheet. I would like to do
this in VBA and then run it as a macro on the spreadsheet.   Alot of
the sites that i have seen only show how to removed the duplicates.
Excel 2007 has a function which removed all duplicates but so far i
have found nothing that only displays the duplciates.... any ideas
anyone?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming that the field you use to determine uniqueness is column A,
you can put this formula in a helper column:

=3DIF(COUNTIF(A:A,A2)>1,"Duplicate","Unique")

then copy down (assumes you have a header row). You can apply
Autofilter to this column and select Unique from the filter drop-down.
Then highlight all the visible rows and Edit | Delete Row. Choose All
from the filter pull-down, then delete the helper column.

Record a macro while you do this once (use relative addresses) and
then you can re-run it in the future.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 25, 9:31=A0am, Mistry <miteshsmis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All
>
> I have a very large list of data and on a monthly basis i need to
> display only the duplicate items in a spreadsheet. I would like to do
> this in VBA and then run it as a macro on the spreadsheet. =A0 Alot of
> the sites that i have seen only show how to removed the duplicates.
> Excel 2007 has a function which removed all duplicates but so far i
> have found nothing that only displays the duplciates.... any ideas
> anyone?

0
pashurst (2576)
8/25/2008 9:06:26 AM
Don't use VBA.
keep your data in a external (i.e. "separate") file, an excel file or a CSV
type file will do.

Use a Pivot table to read that file, and use a filter that show only the
rows that have more than 1 entry.

Anything more than 1 is a duplicate.

When you save the pivot table file, don't save it as a normal excel fiel,
save it as a template (.xlt) and Excel will ask you if you want to empty the
data from template and refresh automatically from the data file, next time
you open the template. Reply "OK".

It's magic.

thatSaid

0
ThatSaid (9)

Wrong message with cascading deletes
A2003: Table Person linked 1 X M to table Activity. The relationship has its Referential Integrity checkbox and the Cascade Delete checkbox both checked. When I delete a person all related Activity records are deleted which is to be expected. According to http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=26115&seqNum=5 I should get the following message in this case: "Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 1 record(s) in this table and in related tables to be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete these records?" In stead I get: &quo...

Merging Duplicate Contacts

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Receipt not in Item Transaction Inquiry
I have a client that uses project accounting. They have received against a purchase order. The receipt shows up in the Purchase Receipts Inquiry, but does not show up in the Item Transaction Inquiry. What could be causing this? ...

CFile (delete file)

visual basic

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

Duplicate Messages

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Workplace Queues

Right clicking on a CListCtrl item
I have a TreeCtl object in a dialog box. I created an OnNMRclick.. override function to capture a right clicks. The problem I can't figure out is how to find the tree item that the user has right clicked on. Here's what I tried: void CRestoreFiles::OnNMRclickXYZ(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) POINT CurPos; TVHITTESTINFO lpht; HTREEITEM RightClickItem; GetCursorPos(&CurPos); lpht.pt = CurPos; RightClickItem = TreeView_HitTest(pNMHDR->hwndFrom,&lpht); ... I figured that GetCursorPos would give me the position of the cursor where I had right clicke...

item class table

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Duplicate E-Mail #4