Digits in text cannot format as Numbers ?

Hi,
I receive a weekly report from our IT and the digits (in general format
and align to the left though ) cannot be changed to ordinary numbers so
that I can sort them in A-Z. When I highlight the whole digit column
and format it to Numbers,nothing change. I am running Office 2000 and
OS XP Pro. I once saw the latest Office 2003 having a feature to
convert such digits  to Numbers without any problem. Anyone has a
solution or workaround ?

Thanks
Regards
ST

--
st24961
st24961's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20530

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try one of these methods.

1. Try the following:
Select the column, click Data > Text to columns. Click Finish

2. Another thing.
Supposing the offending column is A, then in another column, use
TRIM(A1), and copy down. This will remove any spaces present with the
numbers.

Mangesh

--
mangesh_yadav
mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10470

Whoa ! What a speedy reply and  your first method has clear the problem
completely.Tried and worked. Thanks a lot.

Regards
ST
:)

--
st24961
st24961's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375149

It always does in such cases. Thanks for the feedback.

Mangesh

--
mangesh_yadav
mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10470
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375149

how can text be set up to generate a number?
i would like to a word generate a number, i.e.> enter "apples"in one cell and excel generate "352" in a different cell for items like inventory. Basically You will need to set up a 'Lookup' table somewhere with Apples 352 In two columns. Complete this for all entries and then if you are going to enter 'Apples' on another sheet in A1 then in A2 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Your_Lookup_Range_Address,2,FALSE) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "jwmaes" <jwmaes@discussions.microso...

Numbers Chart
I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt Top left corner of chart: =ROW(A1)+10*(COLUMN(A1)-1) Copy to a 10x10 area. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "C and A Bredt" wrote: > I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. > I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. > thanks, CB > -- > C and A Bredt > Highlight the cells, format > Cells > Alignment and make it 90 degrees. "Luke...

Text Boxes added to Chart Series
How do I keep text boxes that I've added to a data series with the column they belong on? If I change the size of the chart in anyway, I have to move the text boxes back to their respective spots on the chart. Text boxes are not added to a series, but to the chart. This prevents their sticking to any particular points. Could you add them as data labels? If you use a built-in position (i.e., don't drag them around) they will stick with their associated points - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://P...

Calculation / Format Error
I'm using this formula in cell AE69 =IF(AL69="NO","",AE68*(AM69/100)) When the logic is true I want the cell value to be zero, but show as blank. When this cell is summed up with others, a #VALUE! is returned. I am assuming excel is seeing this cell as text and thus returning an error. I have tried adjusting the formula to: =IF(AL69="NO","0",AE68*(AM69/100)) I have selected the accounting formating for AE69 with the "£" symbol. However, instead of getting the £ symbol to the left and a dash representing z...

Text-wrapping horizontal axis labels
Hi, I've a small problem which I can't seem to find a solution for - I have created a set of financial reports for a client, which includes a number of charts. The charts are waterfall charts, which I've constructed using a form of stacked bar chart. The labels for the horizontal axis are linked to text alongside the calculations for the charts. The text in the labels is of varying lengths and for some of the charts, this text is being wrapped to two layers on the label that appear on the chart. Every now and then, one of the labels is too long, and instead of ...

Can't see text box fill colour
I have recently reloaded Office Small Business following a hard drive crash. I made some changes to display in Control Panel Accessibility this time that weren't there before. I've changed back to default but the problem continues. Previously I could fill or border text boxes and see the results in both normal view and print preview. Now the fill/border colour is only visible in print preview. Borders appear as black and fills as white in normal view. Text colours are unaffected. This is making life difficult as white text in a black fill just disappears until I go to pr...

Microsoft Excel ASC II Text Files
How do I convert an Excel spreadsheet into this type of file in order to import to another program such as "MaiList & AddressBook" Hi Bill try saving as 'CSV' file in the Save As dialog. This is a comma separated text (ASCII) file HTH Frank Bill Cadwallader wrote: > How do I convert an Excel spreadsheet into this type of > file in order to import to another program such > as "MaiList & AddressBook" ...

Date formatting in Excel #2
How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. Hi When no year is typed, excel would assume it is the current year. You would ahve to type the full date (including 2004) for it to display as Oct 2004. Use Format - cells - date and then select the particular format you want from the options there. >-----Original Message----- >How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I >type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. >. > ...

display cell value in msgbox formatted as %
Hi I have been trying to come up with a way to display a cell value in a msgbox so that it formats properly as a percent. I have tried: Productivity = Format(Range("A1").Value, "###,# %") Msgbox Productivity This always gives me a leading 0 (e.g 015%) and I want it to display 15.0%. So I tried this: Productivity = Format(CStr(Range("A1").Value) * 100, "#,###.0") & "%" and it works ok but... I want to use the value of productivity in computations - which I can't formatted as a string ... Am I missing something - or is it as simple...

Pass a command text in pivot table
I've got a pivot table with data give back by odbc (in excel 2003). When i pass a new sql command, it answer me the database, also if i pass the connection string. My code is this: With ActiveSheet.PivotTables(sNamePivot).PivotCache .CommandText = sSelect .Connection = "ODBC;DSN=DS;DB=" & NomeDB & ";SRVR=;UID=SYSADM;PWD=" .Refresh End With sNamePivot --> string variable contain the correct name of the pivot table. NomeDB --> string variable contain the database. sSelect --> variable contain the sql command. Why does it called me ...

Copy/Paste to Match Destination Formatting -- BY DEFAULT
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel As a long time PC Word user, I have been accustomed to the large amount of preference customization that is available. One CRUCIAL (for me) customization option in PC Word is the ability to set the default action when pasting from one program (the web or Acrobat) to Word. <br><br>By default, both Word 2008 (mac) and Word 2007 (PC) keep the source formatting when pasting between programs. To me that makes no sense, because 9 out of 10 times you don't want your word document to have many differ...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

Finding text
I am using Excel 2007, I have a column containing formulas that would return a name if true and a zero if false. I want to search the column for the text entry and return that text as the answer. Can I do this or should the column formulas be changed to something else? The "T" formula seems to work only for one cell not the whole column. It's not real clear what you want to do. Here's my best guess... Assume you want to know if John is in the range. =IF(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"John"),"John","not found") Better to use a cell to hold the criter...

What happened to the column number count in the status bar?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am new to using Office with a mac, and I have a lame question. I am using Word 2008. There used to be options as to what counts and tools you could put at the bottom of the window. Such as, word count, page number, column number etc. I don't see any options to customize the status bar. Am I missing something? It used to be as easy as right clicking (w/PC) and selecting which tool you wanted. How do I do this with my Mac??? Any help is appreciated. -B Yeah, evidently the guy/gal in charge of those features was out...

deleting a conditional format
I have the followint formula in a conditional format. =ROW()=ROW(INDIRECT(CELL("address"))) I remember getting it from this group, it highlights the active cell in yellow. I cannot delete it and I believe it will not allow me to copy and paste data about the spreadsheet. I need to delete as I need to copy and paste more than I need the active cell highlighted. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany <mark@southwestconst.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1102362753.480803.96910@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I have the followint formula in a con...

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an overall summary page. For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2, etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same combination of the workforce. For example: Column C Column E Prj1 row 17 lead electrical engineer 200 Row 23 Senior mechanical engineer 450 Row 51 Junior piping engineer 700 Pr...

how to make outlook *completely text-based
If I copy from a web page then outlook will paste it in the outlook edit area in the font of of the web page as if outlook were formating it via the html from the web page. I want Outlook to be absolutely and completely text based. How? Set your message editor to plain text - depending on the version of Office/Outlook (which you do not mention so it makes it hard to answer) you may have the option for paste formatting. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer leegold <leegol...

Formating data table in chart
Is it possible to align to the right numbers in a data table added to a chart? Numbers seem to be centered and I can't find how to change the format. Thanks, MB Hi, The formating is limited on chart data tables. Instead create your own. Tushar has some information on doing your own data table. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm Cheers Andy Mb8a wrote: > Is it possible to align to the right numbers in a data table added to a > chart? Numbers seem to be centered and I can't find how to change the format. > > Thanks, > MB -- Andy Pope...

making random numbers, one greater than other
1) I try to generate random numbers i A1 and B1 the numbers should be between 1 and 10 and A1 must be greater than B1 (i.e. A1>B1) 2) I try to generate random numbers i A1 and B1 their sum must be smaller than 10 (i.e. A1+B1<10) thanks in advance This in A1... =RAND()*10 ...will produce Random number <10 This in B1... =RAND()*(A1) ..will produce Random number <A1 This in C1... =MIN(RAND()*A1,RAND()*(10-A1)) ...will produce Random number less than A1 and when summed with A1 will be less than 10 hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Navid Sami" wrote: > 1) I tr...

Column percentage formatting
When formatting a column as a percentage how can I get it to read out as Pts. not the % symbol?? Once you have the answer to your formula in the cell(s), can you highlight the whole column and format it to just plain number with the desired amount of decimal points? That or set up a custom format for the cell(s). HTH, Beth >-----Original Message----- >When formatting a column as a percentage how can I get it >to read out as Pts. not the % symbol?? >. > ...

Control Excel Formatting From Access Query Export
I think this may be beyond Access's DDE capabilities but thought I'd float this out to see if anyone had an ideas/thoughts or leads/links: I export an (open) Access query to Excel using DoCmd.RunCommand (acCmdOutputToExcel) Once my query data reaches Excel, I want to format a) Page setup - for landscape/fit to page/legal etc b) Column width/Row height c) Wrap cell contents Try using Automation. Here's a excerpt from code I use to format the data after I export it. It doesn't do everything you're asking for, but the rest of what you want is rather simple to add: ...

Conditional formating >3
I wonder if this is possible: I have an array of data of Latitudes/Longitudes with the cell value being Altitude (DEM). With condformat I have painted the cells in different colors for three different altitude range. This looks like a nice topo map, but there are only three colors due to conformat limitation. If I could have as many colors as a standard topo map (why not 10) the display would look like a bona fide topomap, especially if the value of the cells is made invisible and the window is shrunk to "selection"=array. SO If I define the data array as in Sheet1, and if I define a...

Telephone Numbers
How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > PhoneNumber > OK Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Kennel slave" wrote: > How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: > 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Thanks, Chuck! It worked! "CLR" wrote: > Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > > PhoneNumber > OK > > Vaya con Dio...

Is there an array formula that works with text?
The array formula {=3DSUM(IF(A1:A10=3D1,B1:B10))} will return the contents of B2 if A2=3D1 and the content of B2=3D a number. But what if B2=3D text? Can this formula, or one similar to it, be made to return a letter or word=97something other than a number? VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH would spring to mind Try Debra's nice coverage on these functions at her: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html VLOOKUP http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html INDEX/MATCH There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdem...

Matching Address Country with Phone Number Country Outlook 2003
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 I need to know if it's possible that Outlook updates the PHONE NUMBER COUNTRY field automatically (assigning al country codes and "+") by reading the ADDRESS FIELD COUNTRY information I already have in the contact. Also, is there any application that does this or that manages Country codes correctly to upgrade the phone numbers ? thanks! Alex ...