different number format

Hi, this is probably an easy question but I am at a loss been an excel
newbie.

I have XP with my local regional settings, where the number format is
1.000,29 (onethousand and 29/100)
on a specific excel sheet I need to revert these settings, in order to paste
a large amount of data
1000.29 (onethousand and 29/100)

anybody can suggest how to do this?

TIA

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Daniele,

I think you shouldn't change your setting, paste the data and then use the
code below to fix the numbers:

Sub TextToNumberOnActiveColumn()
   Dim r As Integer
   Dim c As Range
   r = ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
   ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat =
"#,##0.00"
   For Each c In ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).Cells
      If IsNumeric(c.Value) Then c.FormulaR1C1 = c.Value
   Next
End Sub

HTH

---
Orlando Magalh�es Filho

(So that you get best and rapid solution and all may benefit from the
discussion, please reply within the newsgroup, not in email)

"daniele" <daniele.bevilacqua@spamcop.net> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi, this is probably an easy question but I am at a loss been an excel
> newbie.
>
> I have XP with my local regional settings, where the number format is
> 1.000,29 (onethousand and 29/100)
> on a specific excel sheet I need to revert these settings, in order to
paste
> a large amount of data
> 1000.29 (onethousand and 29/100)
>
> anybody can suggest how to do this?
>
> TIA

0
orlandof6 (56)
7/6/2003 1:29:09 PM
Hi Orlando,

I warned you I am a newbie :-)

could you tell me:
a. what would this code do, and
b. how *exactly* should I use it?

muito obrigado

Daniele

"Orlando Magalh�es Filho" <orlandof6@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi Daniele,
>
> I think you shouldn't change your setting, paste the data and then use the
> code below to fix the numbers:
>
> Sub TextToNumberOnActiveColumn()
>    Dim r As Integer
>    Dim c As Range
>    r = ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
>    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat =
> "#,##0.00"
>    For Each c In ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).Cells
>       If IsNumeric(c.Value) Then c.FormulaR1C1 = c.Value
>    Next
> End Sub
>

> HTH
>
> ---
> Orlando Magalh�es Filho

Hello Daniele,

As I don't see Orlando's answer, I will try to offer some quick help:

Copy his code (from "Sub" Through "End Sub"). Use Ctrl+C.
Richtclick on the sheettab of the sheet you pasted the data in, or where you
want to change the format.
Click the bottom option (show code).
Paste the code. Use Ctrl+V.
Make sure the lines are pasted correctly. The e-mail process sometimes cuts
up lines and puts returns where they shouldn't be (for your present
purpose). E.g.: I tried this and found the line:

   ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat ="#,##0.00"

Had been cut after the equal sign and showed up red in Excel. Just put the
cursor in the right place and hit delete to remove the line break.

Doing this brought you into the Visual Basic Editor. Now close the editor.

In the worsheet, activate a column with data that you want to correct. to do
this, just click the right column header, the button-grey cell with the
capital letter (A through IV).
Then from the worksheet hit Alt+F8 (Or Extra>Macro>Macro's), select
Orlando's TextToNumberOnActiveColumn macro and click Execute.

It will correct the formatting for that column in the way you asked.

Hope he doesn't mind me barging in, and hope this helps you.

Have a beautiful day.

--
Eric van Uden
at the foot of the 'bridge too far'

"daniele" <daniele.bevilacqua@spamcop.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi Orlando,
>
> I warned you I am a newbie :-)
>
> could you tell me:
> a. what would this code do, and
> b. how *exactly* should I use it?
>
> muito obrigado
>
> Daniele
>
> "Orlando Magalh�es Filho" <orlandof6@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Hi Daniele,
> >
> > I think you shouldn't change your setting, paste the data and then use
the
> > code below to fix the numbers:
> >
> > Sub TextToNumberOnActiveColumn()
> >    Dim r As Integer
> >    Dim c As Range
> >    r = ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
> >    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat =
> > "#,##0.00"
> >    For Each c In ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).Cells
> >       If IsNumeric(c.Value) Then c.FormulaR1C1 = c.Value
> >    Next
> > End Sub
> >

> > HTH
> >
> > ---
> > Orlando Magalh�es Filho

Hi Eric van Uden,

> Hope he doesn't mind me barging in, and hope this helps you.
No problem for me. If Daniele understood your detailed and correct
instruction, I'll be glad.

Regards,

Orlando

"Eric van Uden" <ericvanuden@supermail.nl> escreveu na mensagem
> Hello Daniele,
>
> As I don't see Orlando's answer, I will try to offer some quick help:
>
> Copy his code (from "Sub" Through "End Sub"). Use Ctrl+C.
> Richtclick on the sheettab of the sheet you pasted the data in, or where
you
> want to change the format.
> Click the bottom option (show code).
> Paste the code. Use Ctrl+V.
> Make sure the lines are pasted correctly. The e-mail process sometimes
cuts
> up lines and puts returns where they shouldn't be (for your present
> purpose). E.g.: I tried this and found the line:
>
>    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat
="#,##0.00"

> Had been cut after the equal sign and showed up red in Excel. Just put the
> cursor in the right place and hit delete to remove the line break.
>
> Doing this brought you into the Visual Basic Editor. Now close the editor.
>
> In the worsheet, activate a column with data that you want to correct. to
do
> this, just click the right column header, the button-grey cell with the
> capital letter (A through IV).
> Then from the worksheet hit Alt+F8 (Or Extra>Macro>Macro's), select
> Orlando's TextToNumberOnActiveColumn macro and click Execute.
>
> It will correct the formatting for that column in the way you asked.
>
> Hope he doesn't mind me barging in, and hope this helps you.
>
> Have a beautiful day.
>

> --
> Eric van Uden
> at the foot of the 'bridge too far'
>

> "daniele" <daniele.bevilacqua@spamcop.net> schreef in bericht
> > Hi Orlando,
> >
> > I warned you I am a newbie :-)
> >
> > could you tell me:
> > a. what would this code do, and
> > b. how *exactly* should I use it?
> >
> > muito obrigado
> >
> > Daniele
> >
> > "Orlando Magalh�es Filho" <orlandof6@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio
> > > Hi Daniele,
> > >
> > > I think you shouldn't change your setting, paste the data and then use
> the
> > > code below to fix the numbers:
> > >
> > > Sub TextToNumberOnActiveColumn()
> > >    Dim r As Integer
> > >    Dim c As Range
> > >    r = ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
> > >    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat =
> > > "#,##0.00"
> > >    For Each c In ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r,
1).Cells
> > >       If IsNumeric(c.Value) Then c.FormulaR1C1 = c.Value
> > >    Next
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > HTH
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Orlando Magalh�es Filho

0
orlandof6 (56)
7/8/2003 3:02:11 AM
Thanks, Orlando and Eric!

> Hi Eric van Uden,
>
> > Hope he doesn't mind me barging in, and hope this helps you.
> No problem for me. If Daniele understood your detailed and correct
> instruction, I'll be glad.
>
> Regards,
>
> Orlando
>

> "Eric van Uden" <ericvanuden@supermail.nl> escreveu na mensagem
> > Hello Daniele,
> >
> > As I don't see Orlando's answer, I will try to offer some quick help:
> >
> > Copy his code (from "Sub" Through "End Sub"). Use Ctrl+C.
> > Richtclick on the sheettab of the sheet you pasted the data in, or where
> you
> > want to change the format.
> > Click the bottom option (show code).
> > Paste the code. Use Ctrl+V.
> > Make sure the lines are pasted correctly. The e-mail process sometimes
> cuts
> > up lines and puts returns where they shouldn't be (for your present
> > purpose). E.g.: I tried this and found the line:
> >
> >    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range("A1").Resize(r, 1).NumberFormat
> ="#,##0.00"
> >
> > Had been cut after the equal sign and showed up red in Excel. Just put
the
> > cursor in the right place and hit delete to remove the line break.
> >
> > Doing this brought you into the Visual Basic Editor. Now close the
editor.

> > In the worsheet, activate a column with data that you want to correct.
> do
> > this, just click the right column header, the button-grey cell with the
> > capital letter (A through IV).
> > Then from the worksheet hit Alt+F8 (Or Extra>Macro>Macro's), select
> > Orlando's TextToNumberOnActiveColumn macro and click Execute.
> >
> > It will correct the formatting for that column in the way you asked.
> >
> > Hope he doesn't mind me barging in, and hope this helps you.
> >
> > Have a beautiful day.
> >

> > --
> > Eric van Uden
> > at the foot of the 'bridge too far'
> >

> > "daniele" <daniele.bevilacqua@spamcop.net> schreef in bericht
> > > Hi Orlando,
> > >
> > > I warned you I am a newbie :-)
> > >
> > > could you tell me:
> > > a. what would this code do, and
> > > b. how *exactly* should I use it?
> > >
> > > muito obrigado
> > >
> > > Daniele
> > >
> > > "Orlando Magalh�es Filho" <orlandof6@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel
> messaggio

> > the

> 1).Cells

Formatting Problem #2
I have a workbook with 9 worksheets. All but one of them are used to track different company projects, one is used for summary: various counts and sums. On the summary sheets, the individual project are separated by two blank rows. The summary data was formatted with borders. I need to remove the borders, which is easy to do. The problem is that when all the borders are removed, vertical "lines" remain that span many rows, between several columns. Removed gridlines, with no effect. These are not drawn objects. Does anyone have an idea how to remove this? Thanks Dudley Could th...

Merge different queries
Hello all, I have two tables where I enter my stock trades as well as foreign exchange (FX) trades. The two tables contain different fields as the trading instruments require different entries. I then created two seperated queries in order to calculate the profit from each stock and each FX trade. I need two queries as the calculations are different, too. Now, I would like to merge the two queries in order to see my overall profit and losses no matter if the trade is a stock or FX trade. That is, in the final query I would like to see the trade ID (which is the primary key in eac...

different pages on each sheet in publisher?
I am trying to do wedding invitations, each page is 3.5 x 7.50, 3.5 x 7.75 and 3.5 x 8. How can I put one of each of these on the page? Also, How can I do tear off reply cards and have the guests names and quantity invited on each one? These are 3.5 x 8.25. Thank you On the three pages sizes, set separate files for each page making three like pages per sheet of paper. On the last page, the one with the tear off reply, you didn't say what size page it was being torn off; if it's an 8.5 x 11 just make it the bottom 3.5 inches. Seems you will be using a paper cutter extensive...

Chart two variables with differing values
I'd like to chart data similar to: Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Thefts 75 120 95 101 80 Veh. Mfg. 100,200 125000 130000 145000 125000 I want to produce a chart with the year on the abcissa and with the Thefts scale on left ordinate and Veh. Mfg on the right ordinate and have the scales set accordingly. I'm running Excel 2002. Seems i can't select the Format/Selected Series data Series/Secondary Axis to set the scales correctly. I'd like to get som...

Finding templates and formats
Can you please tell me, where can I find a template or the format of a resignation letter? With much appreciation. Come on Mary...let's see you find a template for this poster :-D DavidF "mandm" <mandm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:724ADDB2-F04E-4AA7-AD35-59BD7CF9ECE7@microsoft.com... > Can you please tell me, where can I find a template or the format of a > resignation letter? With much appreciation. Here's an idea, http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/deadkennedys/takethisjobandshoveit.html -- Ron "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com>...

Leopard Upgrade -> File Format Not Valid -> every file is corrupted??? = I am up the creek
Hoping someone has an idea on this one. I recently upgraded a clients small network (4 comps) to OS X 10.5 The machines were a mix of 10.3 and 10.2 machines. I cloned all machines to ext hard drives and did an erase and install of Leopard on each. While there were certainly a few issues around the upgrade, mostly everything went fine...then the client tried to open his excel files, consisting of client databases and other essential information. No bueno. The excel files were stripped of their extensions at some point and finder calls them "unix executable files." Excel will not...

Number Format #14
Is there a way I can format a number so that significant 0's and a letter are conditional? I currently use: ?0"g" ?0"s" ?0"c" - which formats like so: 100000 = 10g 00s 00c 100010 = 10g 00s 10c 1000 = 0g 10s 00c What I wish to have is a code that formats like so: 101010 = 10g 10s 10c 10000 = 10s 10 = 10c 100010 = 10g 10c Is this possible? -- LoganStallworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LoganStallworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27561 View this thre...

Time formatting issues
I am nearly finished working on my latest project, a data entry GUI in VBA (2003), and have run into difficulties dealing with time values. Brief project background: It is a simple data entry form which takes various bits of flight data and enters them onto a spreadsheet. The key entries I'm having trouble with are 'Time' values. Two fields are automatically populated with the appropriate 'Departure' and 'Arrival' times based on a 'ListIndex' run during initialization, which allows values for the 'Flight Numbers'. An 'If...Then' stat...

number setting for workbook e.g. i want , instead of . in number
I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. How to change number display setting for whole excel file. Check out Start>Settings>Control Panel> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options> Regional and Language Options>click 'Customize' button If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Rajesh" wrote: > I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. > > How to change number display setting for whole excel file. ...

Putting a different character in a cell
Okay here is the problem: We are setting up an Excel worksheet to figure out productivity of employees. I am able to set up a cell to average another range of cells. Example would be that Cell J3 will average Cells C3 - I3 (=AVERAGE(C3:I3)). Now I have two questions... Is there a way to make Excel put a character in Cell J3 where the formula is instead of a blank cell OR even better I would like to create another worksheet that will take MULTIPLE cells linked to the first worksheet with the average formula in it to then do -another- average of the cells if there is information in the cells. A...

conditional formatting?
I have two columns....some of the cells in Column A differ from the cells in column B...how do I hilight the cells in column A that are different from the ones in column B? thanks! Jo Either CF/ Cell Value Is/ not equal to/ =B1 Or CF/ Formula Is/ =A1<>B1 -- David Biddulph "Joann" <Joann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FF801B4-6011-4132-942C-94892781C20C@microsoft.com... >I have two columns....some of the cells in Column A differ from the cells >in > column B...how do I hilight the cells in column A that are different from...

ISBN #'s starting w/ "0" are deleted, how to format so "0" stays put
Hello, I need to know how to format a list of cells that contain ISBN #'s so that when an ISBN starting with a "0" the zero stays. I am working w/ Excel 97. I have tried to format the cell to "Text" but then the zeros are deleted. What I am doing is copying and pasting from another spreadsheet. So, the ISBN looks like this at first: 0-889658-27-8 Then I say "Replace "-" with nothing. So then I get: 889658278 So, what I want is: 0889658278 Got me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I suggest formatting the cells as text *prior* to pa...

date format #32
i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text. is there any command to change all in mmddyy format On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:40:03 -0700, "Ankur" <Ankur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with >text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text. > >is there any command to change all in mmddyy format You need to describe more precisely exactly what is in the cells, and how one can tell the difference betwee...

What different in VC ?
There are three kind of project in VC .net . What different in MFC , Win32 and .Net ? A test? There are lots of kinds of projects based on language. Within MFC you can do Console, Windows, or DLL projects and more. MFC is a front end for the Win32 SDK and some .Net. Tom "Sloan" <sloan@ms94.url.com.tw> wrote in message news:cerq1m$i38$1@netnews.hinet.net... > There are three kind of project in VC .net . > What different in MFC , Win32 and .Net ? > > VS2003.net offers MFC(a different version) and the traditional projects that existed in VC6. It also offers ...

Spell checker with different versions
We are using (still I know) Office XP with Outlook 2003. Is ther any possibility to enable spell checker within Outlook 2003? Thank you Sascha "Sascha" <Sascha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC578A9D-38CB-4AE5-9E5E-3A197008B998@microsoft.com... > We are using (still I know) Office XP with Outlook 2003. Is ther any > possibility to enable spell checker within Outlook 2003? No. Outlook needs to use Word for the spell check and Outlook 2003 doesn't integrate with Word 2002. Both programs must be from the same Office suite for the...

Version Control
Hello MOSS Community, I have the following situation with MOSS version control: If I checked out the document using the drop down arrow, the comment box did appear when I checked it in. If I opened the document and then clicked the Edit Document Button from the top of the document (Office 2007 only), the comment box did not appear when I checked it back in. I would expect that the same version control dialog box appear regardles the way I open the file. Your help is very appreciated Thanks in advance Mauricio I ...

Excel default date format
1) The default date format for Excel is "21-Mar" when I enter date recognized data. This is unusable for me, I need the year displayed. How do I change the default date format to display the year. 2) With default also, Excel sometimes requires "=" in equations and sometimes not; i.e., if I enter a '-' it converts the cell to an equation. How do i stop this so that it only makes equations when I enter '='. 3) How do I get help on Excel inconsistancies like the above in Excel documentation anywhere? mjk #1. If I type in the date that includes the ye...

Highlighting text using conditional formatting
Hi All I'm trying to highlight certain text in a list - namely all text that end with river, stream or creek. I've been trying to use conditional formatting but for some reason I can't seem to get it to go (I would have thought * wildcard would have done the trick but no such luck). Ideally you would have a different colour for rivers, creeks and streams. The list is like this Grey River Brash Creek Fred Stream Hell Stream Roger River Turd Creek and so on (about 3000 entries) Any ideas about how you can do this? Feedback appreciated. Thanks Mike Try this... Select the text ...

Re-order Number
Hi IS there anyway you can enter the re-order Number at the Matrix Stage of an Item, instead on every Item individually? If you enter it on the Purchase Order side it doesnt update the Individual item???? H ...

Additional Phone Number Fields
Outlook newbie... Is it possible to add additional phone number fields to Outlook 2007 contacts? Business and Business 2 already exist but I need Business 3, Business 4, etc. Can that be done. If so, how? Thanks. Peter "PMokover" <PMokover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69883331-CB5F-4BBC-9DD1-9B5A5D60BBF0@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to add additional phone number fields to Outlook 2007 > contacts? Business and Business 2 already exist but I need Business 3, > Business 4, etc. Can that be done. If so, how? You can ...

Dynamic "Numbered List"
How Can I update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? Like: 1. A 2. B 3. C 4. D After filter..... 1. A 2. B 3. D [C Filtered] Any Idea to get the result. Regards, Murtaza hi, Murtaza ! > ... update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? > Like: > 1. A > 2. B > 3. C > 4. D > After filter..... > 1. A > 2. B > 3. D [C Filtered] assuming [B2] as the first cell [in filtered-column]... try with subtotal-offset approach [by Laurent Longre] and copy-down... a) array-entered: {ctrl}+...

How do I get numbers on a colum to stay as I typed them on an exc.
I created a workbook with information to be used for merging to a letter. I created a heading colum to read "HOURS" and entered the numbers as 1:23. When I merged the files, the information showed at 1:23:00 A.M. How do I correct this on my workbook excel file or on the Word document? I do not want the numbers to be changed to time. Please help!!!!!! There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx Desperate School Secretary...

Dana: A different bug in Solver?
On May 7, 3:34 pm, "Dana DeLouis" <ddelo...@bellsouth.net> wrote: > "Paul Smith" <phh...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > In A1 put =(B3-B4)^2 and in B3 and B4 put 0. Afterwards, > > use Solver to maximize the formula in A1 by changing B3:B4 > > and with the following constraints: > > B3:B4<=1 > > B3:B4>=0 > > The maximum is 1 but Solver founds 0 as the maximum. > > Solver is just quiting early because it got confused when the > starting values in B3:B4 are equal. At least B3:B4 are within their constraints i...

how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new.
how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new spreadsheet Create a new workbook Change the Normal style (Format>Styles from the menu) to reflect your preferred number format. You can also change font style and size if your prefer. Save the workbook as a template - choosing File>Save As and select Template under the 'Save As Type' dropdown at the bottom, saving it with the name BOOK.XLT in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart\ If you have an older or newer version, you may not see the Office10 subdirectory, so adjust as appr...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...