Decimal To Fraction Odds

For betting purposes I need to convert decimal odds to fractional odds.

Listed below are the common values.

Decimal  Fraction
1.10	1/10
1.20	1/5
1.30	3/10
1.40	2/5

and so on, up to
51.00	5/1
101.00	100/1

Would this be best handled with a lookup function?

With betting the fractions are not always true fractions such as,
3.90	29/10
5.50	9/2
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

I don't understand something like 3.90  = 29/10

But a lookup table would probably be best because if you apply ?/10 fraction
format to the above Excel displays 39/10.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Shane Devenshire wrote:

> I don't understand something like 3.90  = 29/10

Decimal odds are always 1 (number one) more than the actual value.  So
3.90 is in actual fact 2.9.

29/10 = 2.9

Bookmakers generally display fractional odds.

When using Excel I prefer to use normal numbers, but finally one
sometimes needs to convert to bookmakers fractional odds for reference.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:57:34 +0000, Saxman
<john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote:

>For betting purposes I need to convert decimal odds to fractional odds.
>
>Listed below are the common values.
>
>Decimal  Fraction
>1.10	1/10
>1.20	1/5
>1.30	3/10
>1.40	2/5
>
>and so on, up to
>51.00	5/1
>101.00	100/1
>
>Would this be best handled with a lookup function?
>
>With betting the fractions are not always true fractions such as,
>3.90	29/10
>5.50	9/2

I believe you have an error in your examples.

If I understand the issue correctly then

51.00	should be 50/1

5/1   should be decimal odds of 6

To display decimal odds as fractional odds, use the formula:

(with decimal odds in A1)

=A1-1

and also use the custom format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type:  ??/??

or, if you don't mind having the display as text, you could use:

=TEXT(A2-1,"??/??")

Depending on the display precision you require, you could format to up to 3
digits.  e.g.  "???/???"

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
1/26/2009 1:04:17 AM
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

> 51.00	should be 50/1

That's correct, sorry.

> 5/1   should be decimal odds of 6
>
> To display decimal odds as fractional odds, use the formula:
>
> (with decimal odds in A1)
>
> =A1-1
>
> and also use the custom format:
>
> Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type:  ??/??
>
> or, if you don't mind having the display as text, you could use:
>
> =TEXT(A2-1,"??/??")
>
> Depending on the display precision you require, you could format to up to 3
> digits.  e.g.  "???/???"

Trouble is with the above, incomplete fractions get converted by Excel
to their true value.

100/30 would probably appear as 10/3 or 3.33.  I will try your suggestion.

Betting exchanges display decimal odds and bookmakers fractional hence
the query.

The full list can be seen here.

http://www.racing-index.com/decimal-odds-conversion.html
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:34:18 +0000, Saxman
<john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>
>> 51.00	should be 50/1
>
>That's correct, sorry.
>
>> 5/1   should be decimal odds of 6
>>
>> To display decimal odds as fractional odds, use the formula:
>>
>> (with decimal odds in A1)
>>
>> =A1-1
>>
>> and also use the custom format:
>>
>> Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type:  ??/??
>>
>> or, if you don't mind having the display as text, you could use:
>>
>> =TEXT(A2-1,"??/??")
>>
>> Depending on the display precision you require, you could format to up to 3
>> digits.  e.g.  "???/???"
>
>Trouble is with the above, incomplete fractions get converted by Excel
>to their true value.
>
>100/30 would probably appear as 10/3 or 3.33.  I will try your suggestion.
>
>Betting exchanges display decimal odds and bookmakers fractional hence
>the query.
>
>The full list can be seen here.
>
>http://www.racing-index.com/decimal-odds-conversion.html

The formula gives you a mathematically correct result.

But examining the table, it seems that one of the "rules" is to round off the
converted value to some "nice" denominator.  And even then there are some
inconsistencies.

For example, why is 1.67 converted to 4/6 and not 2/3?

I think it likely that the odds were set up as a fractional table by hand, and
then converted to decimal odds rounded to two places.  There may be a usable
mathematical relationship to convert backwards, but I don't see it.

That being the case, I would recommend you just set up a lookup-table in Excel,
so you can enter decimal odds and see what the bookies (who won't give you
decimal odds) will use.

In that table, there are even some inconsistencies in going from fractional to
decimal.  For example 85/40, which is actually 3.125 converts on that chart to
3.12 and not to 3.13 as with some online betting odds calculators.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
1/26/2009 9:58:31 AM
Taking into account the discussions made on the subject, I would suggest
that in a new column you subtract one from each value and format the column
to display as "fraction".

Would that help?

Good luck,
Engin

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

> For example, why is 1.67 converted to 4/6 and not 2/3?

That's the problem.  This is what the bookmakers use.

This is why a lookup might be better?
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:43:12 +0000, Saxman
<john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>
>> For example, why is 1.67 converted to 4/6 and not 2/3?
>
>That's the problem.  This is what the bookmakers use.
>

>This is why a lookup might be better?

Yes.  Take a look at HELP for VLOOKUP.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)

Odd chart type needed
I need a chart type that does not seem to be available in Excel 2007 or 2003. I'm graphing a gamma ray emission spectrum. The x-axis is photon energy. The y-axis is number of gamma rays per second The plot requires vertical LINES at the energy of each gamma ray. The height of the line is the number of gamma rays. The x position of each line is its energy. The chart COULD be a vertical bar chart with very narrow bars. But Excel won't allow bars that thin, and needs them equally spaced. Is there a way to create such a vertical line plot in Excel 2007 (or 2003)? On Apr 13, 12:30=A0pm,...

formula for converting decimal to inch & fraction
Can you provide a formula to convert a decimal to an inch & fraction? I am using Excel 2000. Thank you for your help. select the cell and pull-down: Format > Cells... > Fraction and the pick a suitable form. -- Gary's Student "davepatrob" wrote: > > Can you provide a formula to convert a decimal to an inch & fraction? > I am using Excel 2000. > Thank you for your help. ...

Decimal data type in access
Hi I need to know how to create a table with the 'decimal' data type in MS Access , via the create table statement. using create table testtable(testcol decimal(10,2) null) obviously doesn't work. hi "Patty O'Dors" <PattyODors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAF22A5A-ABF4-4055-9969-CDB31AAF0216@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I need to know how to create a table with the 'decimal' data type in MS > Access , via the create table statement. using > create table testtable(testcol decimal(10,2) null) > obviously doesn't ...

decimal value in append table
In append query:I have a calculated field that results in a decimal value. The value is correct until I append to a tabel, then I get a zero. I have set the data type for the field to:" number" and properties to: double, percent, 1 decimal place ( and tried all other sorts of combinations) but can't get past this. Percent takes the number and multiplies it by 100. This could easily cause a 0. Also if you have a number like 1.02 formatted to one decimal place, it will show 1.0. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicyc...

MS MONEY 2007 DECIMAL PLACES
I WANT TO DISPLAY MORE THAN 2 DECIMAL PLACES IN MS MONEY PORTFOLIO..ESPECIALLY WITH QUANTITY OF STOCK, You need to customize the portfolio view - click on 'Change portfolio view', which is on the left hand side of the portfolio manager page, and select 'customize current view. Click on portfolio columns and select the one you want to see more decimal places for, and enter the number in the decimal places box http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/408.aspx -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx for tips and fixes ...

Format a worksheet to carry out all calculations to 2 decimal plac #2
Hi, Is it possible to format am excel worksheet or whole workbook to carrry out all calculations to 2 decimal places (ie. rounding up and down)? The problem I have is that I use Excel to track expenses tha are also enetered in an accounting package and get rounding errors as excel doesn't round calulations up or down while the acounts package does. I can get excel to display to two decima places and round an individual value to 2 places, but don't know how to get teh whole worksheet to calculate to 2 decimal places. Thanks, Phill. yes it is possible. select the whole sheet ...

decimal issue
Hello, I have the following code but can not get the text box on the form to have any decimal places. I have put in a general number and 2 decimal places in the property area for the box but it still will not give me any it rounds to the whole number Private Sub Finish_OEE_Availability_AfterUpdate() Me.Finish_OEE_Availability = (Me.Hours_Run_Finish / Me.Planned_Run_Time_Finish) End Sub On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:53:01 -0700, jtfalk <jtfalk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I have the following code but can not get the text box on the form to ...

Numbers appearing in decimal form
When I type a number into a cell, it shows up as a decimal place. For example: if I type 8, it shows up as .08 This just started happening, I haven't made any changes to my settings. Thanks for any help. check tools>options>edit>fixed decimal places -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Mike" <mmk412@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:955601c3b687$25904d40$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I type a number into a cell, it shows up as a decimal > place. For example: if I type 8, it shows up as .08 > This just started happening, I haven't made an...

Currency wise Decimal places for Extended prices
I'm updating sales transaction using eConnect during the process when I tried to update extended price field with 3 decimal places it throws error. I have even created a new currency and have set the decimal places for it as 4. But even then, if more than 2 decimal places are passed, it throws error. Is it due to any setup mismatch? If so, where to check for it? Please clarify. Thanks. ...

Rounding time values to nearest 15 minute and convert to decimal
Using Excel 97: Cell B2 has a starting time (09:22) Cell B3 has an ending time (11:51) I want Cell B4 to calculate difference (2:29)(I got this part) round to nearest 15 minute (2:30) then convert to a decimal time (2.50) -- Jeff Muniz Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket? You can do that all in one step: B4: =ROUND((B3-B2)*4*24,0)/4 or, more succinctly: B4: =ROUND((B3-B2)*96,0)/4 XL stores times as fractional days (e.g., 6:00 =0.25), so you need to multiply by 24 to get decimal hours. In article <xv3Oa.179309$nr.8224956@twister.southeast.rr.com>, &q...

Odd Text Box
Hello there, I have what looks like a text box on my Excel spreadsheet. However, I cannot highlight it and therefore cannot delete it. It does not have the normal borders of a text box in fact it looks a bit like a multiline combo box. Has anyone seen this before?? Thank you for your help Judith Maybe it's a Listbox. If it's a listbox from the Control toolbox toolbar, try showing that same toolbar. Then click on the Design mode icon. Then see if you can select the listbox. It could be from the Forms toolbar, too. Unprotect the sheet (if you need to) and see if you can rig...

how can you print only odd or even pages on a DJ 1220c
I know I did it before and know I can't find it. I am trying to print on both sides of the paper by printing first odds and then even pages. I am using excel 2000 in windows xp Hi Curtisgriffin Use this macro http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#odd -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Curtisgriffin" <Curtisgriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6B9664B-F438-44C5-BBE4-1588849EDC35@microsoft.com... >I know I did it before and know I can't find it. I am trying to print on > both sides of the paper by printing first odds an...

Limitations to # of Decimal places for seconds (time)?
Hi All, Maybe a dumb question. I assume Excel imposes a limit to how many decimal places it ca store for the second (time) value. Could anyone please tell me wha this is? I am loading time values in an Excel sheet as follows: 2004-09-23 09:35:21.821277 I need to specify a format for this to be displayed. The one tha comes closest is > Custom dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss.000 But it doesn't allow me to go up to 6 decimal places. Am I missin anything? Or have I touched the limit? I am also concerned about losing information accuracy. Will Excel roun off and chuck out the last 3 decimal places...

Odd character
I have a file that has been exported from Outlook to an Excel file. In some of the address fields the Address1 and Address2 lines are separated by some character that does not seem to be recognized by Excel. In the cell it looks like a 'pipe' character that is bold...sometimes 2 of them. In the Formula Bar it appears to be a small box. It also pushes this Address2 to a second line in the formula bar. I need to import this to another program but that program chokes on this character. Can anyone help me to clean this out of the data? Dave French Looks like you might have paragraph ...

Decimal Hours ?
I have a project which requires me to show time as Decimal hours, i.e. 08:30 = 08:50 etc. Does anyone know how I would go about this or is their a setting within excel to display time as decimal hours? Thanks in advance Phil Phil, Multiply the time value by 24. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Phil Jones" <PJ@NOSPAM_pos-online.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23Z8W51SiDHA.3700@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I have a project which requires me to show time as Decimal hours, i.e. 08:30 > = 08:50 etc. > > Does a...

data labels
I've checked several times, and I am having this problem. I have a workbook with 12 sheets, each with it's own chart (the charts link only to the sheet they are on, if that matters). Even after formatting data labels as percentages, sometimes they revert to decimals. I used XY chart labeler to put them on, and they are linked to cells. The cells are formatted as percentage also. I've gone through and seen it doing this a few days ago, and changed them all to percentage again. Now, many of them are decimals. Any idea why this would be happening? I think a solution would be to c...

Table Of Contents Oddness
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have downloaded a public domain novel and copied it into Word. After changing the font and re-formatting the novel so that each chapter begins on a new page, I re-styled each chapter heading so I can have a TOC. The problem is that when I click on the page number for any chapter, I am not taken to the beginning if it, but instead to the end. I thought that the problem might be that the novel is separated into three parts, with several chapters in each part. I gave each part a different heading that the chapte...

Conditional Formating based on Odd vs. Even
Hi If row in column A contains an even number, shade that row in Colum B-G Yellow, If odd Shade Gray, If blank No Shade. Can this be done i a formula in Conditional Formatting? If so, how? Help appreciated. Nathan Sargean -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sure. Select B:G Condition 1: Formula is =Len($A1)=0 (no format) Condition 2: Formula is =MOD($A1,2)=0 (yellow format) Condition 3: FOrmula is : =MOD($A1,2)=1 (grey format) Bob Umlas Excel MVP "natei6 >" <<natei6.1699y4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:natei6.1699y4@excelforum-no...

How do I extract the decimal places from a number in excel?
I need to produce a spreadsheet that rights the example: 1,245.89 as one two four five 89. I've tried the left and right formulaes and the len one but the numbers will change in length and may have zero decimals at the end too. Not sure how to set this up now. Need the numbers in seperate cells, currently have the following formula for the second number and so forth: RIGHT(LEFT(B3,2),1) Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Hi, Do the two formula do what you want =INT(B3) =MOD(B3,1) Mike "Marli" wrote: > I need to produce a spreadsh...

Odd Start bar behaviour when more than one workbook open
Hi A colleague at work is experiencing odd behaviour of her Windows start bar when she's got more than one workbook open (Excel 2000, Win 2000). Previously when she had two wbs open she'd have two Excel "buttons" in the start bar, and she could click on either of them to activate that wb. ie. standard Windows start bar behaviour. But all of a sudden (overnight) this has changed - now when she's got two wbs open she only sees one Excel button, the other wb doesn't appear at all. Even if you do alt-tab it's not visible... It's as though when another wb is ope...

Odd GMail Outllok integration issue
With one exception my gmail works well in outlook, sending and receiving. The exception comes when messages sent from another computer in my house uner a different e-mail address. These messages arrive in Gmail with no problem, but they do not get POP'ed, for lack of a better term, into my Outlook, like all my other incoming Gmail. If I then forward the GMail to myself (at the same gmail address) then it will arrive in my Outlook, as well. This is very odd. Thoughts? ...

Decimal places in mail merge
I am trying to mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet and one of the fields I am using is a calculated currency field (weekly pay). The problem I'm having is because it is a calculated field the decimal point carries out to like 10 places. Here are the different steps I have tried to fix it, all to no avail: 1. In the Excel spreadsheet I have replaced the formulas with the values and set the format to number with the decimal places at two. In the merge it still carries it out 10 or so places. 2. In the Excel spreadsheet I have set the values format as general, with 2 d...

Move decimal to the right 3 spaces
Is there a formula that can make 2.1 equal 2100; so in the other words would like to have the decimal move to the right 3 spaces. Thanks for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your value is in A1, then just =A1*1000 -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

2" PC APT Free Weights Fractional Plates Weightlifting Full set 8 plates
Price:$59.95 Image: http://thediscountlocator.info/image.php?id=B000ACZARQ Best deal: http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B000ACZARQ At first I was skeptical about getting these fractional weights. After training a while, a 5 pound jump became too much. I used these weights to get past the "plateau". As whimpy as adding these weights to the bar may look, I am making great progress as opposed to the people who regularly lift the same amount of weight every time they go to the gym, thus never making progress. They get the job done. Very useful for shoulder press and oth...

Different decimal places in a Row
We would like to setup a calculation row in FRx where some columns show one decimal place while the other does not show any decimal place. This is to display a particular cell with different decimal places. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.mi...