Date Format Doesn't Work

Vista Business, Office 2007.

On one Vista of my three machines (2 Vista, 1 XP Pro SP2) date formatting
does not work.
I have tried a blank sheet.
I have tried the other 2 machines they work both with blank sheets and with
the a sheet saved on the problem machine.
I have run repair without any improvement.

Still the date will not format. With the Ctrl+; shortcut the date appears as
set in regional settings. This has occurred (and started) within the last
two weeks. (Sorry I don't recall exactly when the problem started.

Any suggestions?

TIA

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'd try formatting the cell as General, then type in the date (ctrl-; if you
want).

You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.

And just a guess.  If you're typing
30/03/2007
and your short date format isn't dmy, then this will be treated as text--not a
date.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I tried your suggestion although I had tried it before. It did not work.
As I explained I have used the Ctrl+:
Since the sheet works on two other machines which do not have this problem
the question is what more can I do than run repair.

Daniel

> I'd try formatting the cell as General, then type in the date (ctrl-; if
> you
> want).
>
> You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.
>
> And just a guess.  If you're typing
> 30/03/2007
> and your short date format isn't dmy, then this will be treated as
> text--not a
> date.
>
> "Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:
>>
>> Vista Business, Office 2007.
>>
>> On one Vista of my three machines (2 Vista, 1 XP Pro SP2) date formatting
>> does not work.
>> I have tried a blank sheet.
>> I have tried the other 2 machines they work both with blank sheets and
>> with
>> the a sheet saved on the problem machine.
>> I have run repair without any improvement.
>>
>> Still the date will not format. With the Ctrl+; shortcut the date appears
>> as
>> set in regional settings. This has occurred (and started) within the last
>> two weeks. (Sorry I don't recall exactly when the problem started.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> TIA
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

I don't have any guesses:

> You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.

What do you type?
What do you see in the formula bar?
What do you see in the cell?

If you do the data entry in A1 and put =isnumber(a1) in b1, what do you see?

--

Dave Peterson
0

I type ctrl+;  (In Regional Settings I have defined short date as
did-MOM-yy.)
In the formula bar I see 30-03-2007.
In the cell I see the same thing.
The answer to isnumber(a) is FALSE.

Interestingly in regional settings the result of did-MOM-yy appears as
30-Mar-07

I think I will try a removal and reinstall since everything works fine on my
two other machines.

This is a real puzzle to me.

Daniel

>I don't have any guesses:
>
>> You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.
>
> What do you type?
> What do you see in the formula bar?
> What do you see in the cell?
>
> If you do the data entry in A1 and put =isnumber(a1) in b1, what do you
> see?
>

> "Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> I tried your suggestion although I had tried it before. It did not work.
>> As I explained I have used the Ctrl+:
>> Since the sheet works on two other machines which do not have this
>> problem
>> the question is what more can I do than run repair.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > I'd try formatting the cell as General, then type in the date (ctrl-;
>> > if
>> > you
>> > want).
>> >
>> > You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.
>> >
>> > And just a guess.  If you're typing
>> > 30/03/2007
>> > and your short date format isn't dmy, then this will be treated as
>> > text--not a
>> > date.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

How about trying a short date format of:  dd-mmm-yy

I'm not sure what did-MOM-yy is supposed to do.

--

Dave Peterson
0

That means your cell was formatted as TEXT before you entered CTRL+;
Format as General and re-enter the date or the shortcut.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uozpfTxcHHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
| Dave,
|
| I type ctrl+;  (In Regional Settings I have defined short date as
| did-MOM-yy.)
| In the formula bar I see 30-03-2007.
| In the cell I see the same thing.
| The answer to isnumber(a) is FALSE.
|
| Interestingly in regional settings the result of did-MOM-yy appears as
| 30-Mar-07
|
| I think I will try a removal and reinstall since everything works fine on my
| two other machines.
|
| This is a real puzzle to me.
|
| Daniel
|

| "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
| >I don't have any guesses:
| >
| >> You may want to give some examples of what you tried--and what failed.
| >
| > What do you type?
| > What do you see in the formula bar?
| > What do you see in the cell?
| >
| > If you do the data entry in A1 and put =isnumber(a1) in b1, what do you
| > see?
| >

| > "Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:
| >>
| >> Dave,
| >>
| >> I tried your suggestion although I had tried it before. It did not work.
| >> As I explained I have used the Ctrl+:
| >> Since the sheet works on two other machines which do not have this
| >> problem
| >> the question is what more can I do than run repair.
| >>
| >> Daniel
| >>
| >> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message

| > --
| >
| > Dave Peterson

0
nicolaus (2022)
3/30/2007 10:05:00 PM
Dave,

I used the dd-MOM-by. I don't know how I typed MOM the "ME" and "OF" aren't
even close to each other. I will try the lower case "me"  now.

Now I know when I spell checked the autocorrect changed it to MOM.

Daniel

> How about trying a short date format of:  dd-mmm-yy
>
> I'm not sure what did-MOM-yy is supposed to do.
>

> "Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> I type ctrl+;  (In Regional Settings I have defined short date as
>> did-MOM-yy.)
>> In the formula bar I see 30-03-2007.
>> In the cell I see the same thing.
>> The answer to isnumber(a) is FALSE.
>>
>> Interestingly in regional settings the result of did-MOM-yy appears as
>> 30-Mar-07
>>
>> I think I will try a removal and reinstall since everything works fine on
>> my
>> two other machines.
>>
>> This is a real puzzle to me.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> >I don't have any guesses:

>> > What do you type?
>> > What do you see in the formula bar?
>> > What do you see in the cell?
>> >
>> > If you do the data entry in A1 and put =isnumber(a1) in b1, what do you
>> > see?

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave,

I tried mmm instead of MMM and it was automatically changed to MMM.
This is really weird because in Regional it shows as 30-Mar-2007 which is
not what it should do. A dd-MMM-by in Regional settings should give
30-Mar-07. What the Ctrl+; gives is 30-03-2007. That is really funny.

Daniel

> Dave,
>
> I used the dd-MOM-by. I don't know how I typed MOM the "ME" and "OF"
> aren't even close to each other. I will try the lower case "me"  now.
>
> Now I know when I spell checked the autocorrect changed it to MOM.
>
> Daniel
>
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> How about trying a short date format of:  dd-mmm-yy
>>
>> I'm not sure what did-MOM-yy is supposed to do.
>>

>> "Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:
>>>
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> I type ctrl+;  (In Regional Settings I have defined short date as
>>> did-MOM-yy.)
>>> In the formula bar I see 30-03-2007.
>>> In the cell I see the same thing.
>>> The answer to isnumber(a) is FALSE.
>>>
>>> Interestingly in regional settings the result of did-MOM-yy appears as
>>> 30-Mar-07
>>>
>>> I think I will try a removal and reinstall since everything works fine
>>> on my
>>> two other machines.
>>>
>>> This is a real puzzle to me.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

Dave,

The bug is somewhere in Vista. I went into Regional settings and changed to
UK English which uses day Month Year and everything works fine in Excel. I
just changed the pound sign in currency there to $.

I guess there aren't too many ex-military programmers who checked this out.

Daniel

> Dave,
>
> I tried mmm instead of MMM and it was automatically changed to MMM.
> This is really weird because in Regional it shows as 30-Mar-2007 which is
> not what it should do. A dd-MMM-by in Regional settings should give
> 30-Mar-07. What the Ctrl+; gives is 30-03-2007. That is really funny.
>
> Daniel
>

> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dave,
>>
>> I used the dd-MOM-by. I don't know how I typed MOM the "ME" and "OF"
>> aren't even close to each other. I will try the lower case "me"  now.
>>
>> Now I know when I spell checked the autocorrect changed it to MOM.
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> How about trying a short date format of:  dd-mmm-yy
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what did-MOM-yy is supposed to do.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Dave Peterson

Glad you found a solution/work-around.

Just a note about the MMM vs mmm stuff.  In my experience, there is no
difference between them--mmm and MMM both behave the same way.  (But I haven't
used Vista very much <bg>.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Dates #9

Qrp Date functions

Fractions Number format

date tracking

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

Short time vs short date

Date Calculation

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

date modified

Date function quit working

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Date format 04-11-06

Formatting in CSV
Hi I create a Comma Separated Value file (csv) from my VB application, then open that file with Excel. Excel recognises the commas, and splits the records into separate fields as expected. Can I set properties for rows or columns or cells ? Like bolding, or font size, etc. Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486488 Yes. Even though the .csv file contains no fo...

How to Identify Records with Overlapping Dates
I need to be able to systematically identify any instance where there are overlapping date ranges in a data set. I need to pull records like those listed below out of a larger data set. I previously posted a question similar to this and was advised to pull the same table in a query, match on Member Number, and qualify that the product code from TableA did not match product code in TableA_1 where the Begin Date TableA was < Term date TableA_1 and TableA_1 Begin Date < TableA End Date. Which worked great for me finding overlapping records where the product was different, bu...

Format List Box!

How can I sum only amounts that are in BOLD format within a column
Hi! I need to get a total from a worksheet that has hundreds of amounts in it. However, I only need the total of the amounts that were marked with have BOLD font. Please help me I don't have much experience with EXCEL. Thank you very much! W a n d a try this for column D Sub sumbold() x = Cells(Rows.Count, "d").End(xlUp).Row For Each c In Range(Cells(2, 4), Cells(x, 4)) If c.Font.Bold Then mysum = mysum + c Next MsgBox mysum End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wanda" <Wanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89A268A6-...

Outlook 2003
Hi Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in outlook 2003? Many thanks Lee Lee Atkinson <leeatkinsonlincs@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in > outlook 2003? Use the Field Chooser to add the Modified time to the Deleted Items folder header bar (the one that says "From", "Subject", "Received", etc. and sort on that time. Deleting an item is a modification, so I would expect the modified date to be affected, giving you the most accurate value of the item's deleted time....

Newbie
I have a spreadsheet that is little more than a list of PO #'s that shows what orders are done and ready to ship for a particular customer. We upload the file every day to a website where the customer can view it whenever they want. So far, everything's fine. I use the "=TODAY()" function so that when I open and modify the listings, the date gets automatically updated. The problem is, when the customer accesses the file, the date also updates on THEIR end and the file looks more current than it really is. Is there a way to maybe lock in the date ONLY when I save the file...