Data Validation Question #3

I have a survey where users score things on a linguistic scale (e.g.
Very Satisfied, Satisfied, etc.) and I want to convert that to a
numeric score, but still keep the Linguistic Value.  I was hoping there
was a way to have a cell with the linguistic value and the a cell with
the numeric score, but have them both show up in a dv cell.

--
cmk18
cmk18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6047

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't know what a "dv cell" is per your request. (...have them both
show up in a dv cell)

However, if what you want is to have another cell return a numeric
value based on the linguistic return of the validation choice, do
this:

Create your list of linguistic choices in one column (say K), in the
next column (J) enter the corresponding numeric value for each choice.

In the cell next to your validation cell, enter the following formula:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$L$4,2,1)

where A1 is the validation cell, K1:L4 is the range of linguistic and
numeric values.  Of course, I prefer to name my table ranges, e.g.
"Table1", and the formula would look like this:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Table1,2,1)

Does this work for you?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474120

If you do not want to create a seperate table for your data to look it up
in, you can do this with one singular formula.  This of course would limit
your future options would you like to make changes easily, of course.

=LOOKUP(A1,{"Satisfied","Unsatisfied","Very Satisfied","Very
Unsatisfied"},{2,3,1,4})

The largest problem I see with this is that there are two array vectors
here.  The first one is the lookup vector and the latter one is the
return/result vector.  The lookup vector *must* be in order sorted
ascendingly, this includes (numerically first) alphabetically; this is just
as Excel would sort a column ascendingly.

HTH

--
Regards,
Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

"cmk18" <cmk18.1wjc6a_1128693902.9734@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:cmk18.1wjc6a_1128693902.9734@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I have a survey where users score things on a linguistic scale (e.g.
> Very Satisfied, Satisfied, etc.) and I want to convert that to a
> numeric score, but still keep the Linguistic Value.  I was hoping there
> was a way to have a cell with the linguistic value and the a cell with
> the numeric score, but have them both show up in a dv cell.
>

> --
> cmk18
> cmk18's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6047
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474120

0
firefytr (112)
10/7/2005 3:55:30 PM
That's not quite what I was looking for.  I was hoping for something
similar to what you can get with HTML where you display in the drop
down both the numeric and linguistic value, but only the numeric gets
recorded.

--
cmk18
cmk18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6047
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474120

You could do this with programming. There's a sample workbook on my web
site that shows a product name and code in the Data Validation dropdown
list. After an item is selected, the cell shows only the product name.
You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.

On the following page:

Under the data validation heading, look for 'Data Validation "Columns"

cmk18 wrote:
> I have a survey where users score things on a linguistic scale (e.g.
> Very Satisfied, Satisfied, etc.) and I want to convert that to a
> numeric score, but still keep the Linguistic Value.  I was hoping there
> was a way to have a cell with the linguistic value and the a cell with
> the numeric score, but have them both show up in a dv cell.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

[ANN] Office 11.3.8 update

conversion #3
I am trying to upgrade from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 on a new computer. When I attempt to export the data in my email files (inbox, sent,etc.)I do not have the "received" information exported - when mapping the fields I am unable to map several of the email fields; therefore, they are not exported. I have been unable to find the normal email fields to use in my mapping. How do I map normal email fields in an export operation? If I do not export this information my new computer has no idea when I received my old emails/ In the old days, the easiest way to keep all da...

BackUp #3
how i can take backup of all my company emailboxes and addresses? ...

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

Data migration - Adventure Works

3 Levels in Extended Pricing
Is it possible in Extended Pricing to have 3 levels of discounts. I assume yes because the max level in price trace is 3. I set up my Base Price Book to be all my List Prices. I then set up another price book and set it to be 50% of Base (Dealer Pricing) and then I want another price book to be "10% off of Dealer" I would then assign customers to this special price sheet/book. So doing a price trace I would have: List: $100 Dealer Original $100 Percent off 50% Unit Price $50 Special Original: $50 Percent off 10% Unit Price $45 Under my "Price Sheet Detail Maintenance...

Outlook 2003 rules question again

date function #3

Custom reports #3

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

Outlook Question
What causes url links not work? I'm experiencing problems with it, and cannot get them to show the URL Links. Clicking the Links doesn't help. ...

cannot send e-mail #3
I am getting the following message: message from Outlook 2000, you may receive the following error message: 0X800CCC78 error: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address It gradually has disabled all of my 3 accounts on Outlook. I can send, but not receive. I think there is some software corruption or a virus. Deleting and re-creating the account does not work Mario D'Avirro <mariod@mdainsurance.com> wrote: > I am getting the following message: > > message from Outlook 2000, you may receive the following > error mes...

Query question 12-11-07
I have a question that I hope you all can help me with. When I run a query, the results come back with multiple lines of data for an order because of multiple critereas in another field. Here is an example of the data returned to my query: Order Status A In Process A Sent B In Process C In Process I would like to see only the data for orders that have not been shipped, and totally exclude data for orders that have been sent. In the example above, I would like my query results to show Orders B and C, but no data for A since it has al...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...