Data Validation List not showing

I'm using Excel 2003. My data validation lists have stopped working on one
sheet in my workbook.  It is working on all other sheets.

I have googled the problem and found the following advice:

1. Make sure freeze panes is off.... check.
2. Select "Show All" under Tools->Options->View->Objects ... check.

The problem remains.  Any ideas?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Stopped working" doesn't do much to describe your problem.  When you select
one of the "stopped working" Data Validation cells, do you see the drop-down
arrow to the right of the cell?  When you select this cell and do Data -
Validation, what do you see in the Data Validation setup?  HTH  Otto
"Eugene Gerber" <eugene.gerber@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel 2003. My data validation lists have stopped working on one
> sheet in my workbook.  It is working on all other sheets.
>
> I have googled the problem and found the following advice:
>
> 1. Make sure freeze panes is off.... check.
> 2. Select "Show All" under Tools->Options->View->Objects ... check.
>
> The problem remains.  Any ideas?

By "Stop Working", I mean that the drop-down arrow has disappeared.  The
actualy validation still works though, because Excel doesn't allow me to
type anything other than the list that I provided.

When I select the cell and check the data validation options, everything
seems okay.  Allow is set to "list" and both tick boxes on the right are
checked.

"Otto Moehrbach" <moehrbachoextra@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "Stopped working" doesn't do much to describe your problem.  When you
> select one of the "stopped working" Data Validation cells, do you see the
> drop-down arrow to the right of the cell?  When you select this cell and
> do Data - Validation, what do you see in the Data Validation setup?  HTH
> Otto
> "Eugene Gerber" <eugene.gerber@mweb.co.za> wrote in message
>> I'm using Excel 2003. My data validation lists have stopped working on
>> one sheet in my workbook.  It is working on all other sheets.
>>
>> I have googled the problem and found the following advice:
>>
>> 1. Make sure freeze panes is off.... check.
>> 2. Select "Show All" under Tools->Options->View->Objects ... check.
>>
>> The problem remains.  Any ideas?

If you delete the data|validation from cell and add it back, does it work?

If you delete the row with that cell on it and insert a new row and reapply
data|validation, does it work?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Save as a spare copy, close the file.
Click File > Open, navigate to folder,
select the "spare copy" file, then click the arrow dropdown
on the right of the "Open" button > choose "Open and Repair"
Good luck !
--
Max
Singapore
> By "Stop Working", I mean that the drop-down arrow has disappeared.  The
> actualy validation still works though, because Excel doesn't allow me to
> type anything other than the list that I provided.
>
> When I select the cell and check the data validation options, everything
> seems okay.  Allow is set to "list" and both tick boxes on the right are
> checked.

0
demechanik (4694)
4/23/2008 5:53:30 AM
No to both your questions.  The problem seems to be on the entire sheet.  If
I add validation to a cell that hasn't had it before, it also has the same
problem.

> If you delete the data|validation from cell and add it back, does it work?
>
> If you delete the row with that cell on it and insert a new row and
> reapply
> data|validation, does it work?

This worked, thx.  Apparently the sheet had "missing validation
information".  Not sure how that happened though.

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No harm trying "Open and Repair" (in Excel 2003)
> (idea from a Bob Phillips' post)
>
> Save as a spare copy, close the file.
> Click File > Open, navigate to folder,
> select the "spare copy" file, then click the arrow dropdown
> on the right of the "Open" button > choose "Open and Repair"
> Good luck !
> --
> Max
> Singapore

Welcome, glad it helped.
--
> This worked, thx.  Apparently the sheet had "missing validation
> information".  Not sure how that happened though.

0
demechanik (4694)
4/23/2008 6:44:08 AM
I had the same problem, this fixed mine:

Close & save the file
In Excel, choose File | Open
Select the file with the missing data validation arrows
On the Open button, click the arrow
Click Open and Repair
When prompted, click Repair.

Posted as a reply to:

Data Validation List not showing

I'm using Excel 2003. My data validation lists have stopped working on one
sheet in my workbook.  It is working on all other sheets.

I have googled the problem and found the following advice:

1. Make sure freeze panes is off.... check.
2. Select "Show All" under Tools->Options->View->Objects ... check.

The problem remains.  Any ideas?

WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx
0
Carl
9/17/2009 7:42:31 PM
Or, you may have deleted when deleting all shapes.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Carl McGaha" wrote in message news:2009917154229mcgaha@wildblue.net...
>I had the same problem, this fixed mine:
>
> Close & save the file
> In Excel, choose File | Open
> Select the file with the missing data validation arrows
> On the Open button, click the arrow
> Click Open and Repair
> When prompted, click Repair.
>

> Posted as a reply to:
>
> Data Validation List not showing
>
> I'm using Excel 2003. My data validation lists have stopped working on one
> sheet in my workbook.  It is working on all other sheets.
>
> I have googled the problem and found the following advice:
>
> 1. Make sure freeze panes is off.... check.
> 2. Select "Show All" under Tools->Options->View->Objects ... check.
>
> The problem remains.  Any ideas?

> WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx

0
dguillett1 (2487)

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

Doesn't show busy,when scheduling meeting
Hello I have a user, who has meetings scheduled and shows up in her Calendar fine. But, when she or someone else tries to schedule new meeting, invite her, it doesn't show her busy schedule. It indicates as if she is available all time. Secondly, when she edits the meeting and marks as "Out of Office", than it shows up as busy. Her Out of Office is Off. Outlook 2000 with Exchange corporate setup. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Macro

macros entering data

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

find data and autopaste when found

Disappearing data in sync'd forms

Format List Box!

Calculating Subsets of Data
I have data for records that can span between 1 to 16 months.. I want to be able to calculate the average activity for the most recent six months in a query and be able to display that in a report. I can create the calculation in the query for the entire duration of months for each record but am stuck on how to have it choose only the most recent six months of data to do the calculation and understand that the six months may really only be between 1 to 6 months of data.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..My skill level is somewhere between meatball surgeon and ki...

List the UNIQUE certain fields from the database
Dear Experts, Please help related to the above subject. From this discussion, got the following formula which is work well and faster for small of database. =OFFSET($G$1,MATCH(0,MMULT(--TRANSPOSE(TRANSPOSE(DATA)=I$1:I1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))/ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))),0)-1,0,1,1) where $G$1, the first row of DATA. how to convert it to VBA as this time i have a huge database. for Tab Data, Advanced, Unique Record only (works well also, but i need the VBA). basically we would like to do similar like this: Data Sample Vendor Name A B...

distibution list / updating
when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to update our distribution lists at the same time. What do you mean exactly? Can you give an example? Also what version of Outlook are you using? T. >-----Original Message----- >when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to >update our distribution lists at the same time. >. > That's what the Update Now button is for. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "wayne" <wayne@anandasacramento.org> wrote in message news:05ba01c3d4be$e83a5e80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > when we update our contacts how can we g...