Data from .txt file being read in as date, and should be text #2

I have a macro that reads in data from a .txt file. The data contains
user IDs that consist of the first 4 letters of their name and 4
numbers. When names are read in that begin with MARCxxxx (ie
MARC1234), excel is formating them as a date, and I lose the original
data (even when I try to format them after the import, they are a
number and the letters are not there. I've tried to format the column
that they data read into before the import, but excel still imports
them as a date. How can I make the import be read as text?

Here is the code for the section I am reading in data for.

Do While (EOF(Filenum) = False)
    Line Input #Filenum, CurrentLine
    If CurrentLine = "" Then 'skip line if there is nothing on it
        Else
            Cells(rownum, 3) = Mid(CurrentLine, 1, 12)
            Cells(rownum, 1) = Mid(CurrentLine, 13, 15) ' This line
reads in as date when user is MARCxxxx
            Cells(rownum, 2) = Mid(CurrentLine, 28, 34)

0
missycoo (2)
7/26/2007 3:17:32 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

Vlookup return most recent date (value)
Hello, I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal ID# (001). Column B contains a timestamp. My table has multiple entries for each ID# and different timestamps for each entry. I want to use a vlookup to find the MOST RECENT timestamp for EACH ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan With your data in ColA/B and the query ID in cell C1 try the below =SUMPRODUCT(MAX(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*$B$2:$B$100)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "ryanholliday" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal I...

More Columns #2

File size #11

find action on log file

Maximum file sizes

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Linking files 2 ways