Custom Number Format problem

I need a special number format, but I can't seem to get what I want:

IF a number is an integer, then there should be NO decimal point
displayed.
IF a number has a decimal part, then if should display only one digit
for it.

For instance:

3 -> 3
4.34 -> 4.3
2.88 -> 2.9
34 -> 34
5.01 -> 5.0

Is it possible to do this with a custom number format ?

THANKS !

P.S. I would prefer NOT to use any VBA to do this!

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe.

But easier would be:

=IF(MOD(A1,1)=0,INT(A1),ROUND(A1,1))

and format as General

Of course you can replace A1 with your original formula, but then it is calculated twice

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"RiTz21" <richard.taillon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160667264.231234.134450@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
|I need a special number format, but I can't seem to get what I want:
|
| IF a number is an integer, then there should be NO decimal point
| displayed.
| IF a number has a decimal part, then if should display only one digit
| for it.
|
| For instance:
|
| 3 -> 3
| 4.34 -> 4.3
| 2.88 -> 2.9
| 34 -> 34
| 5.01 -> 5.0
|
| Is it possible to do this with a custom number format ?
|
| THANKS !

| P.S. I would prefer NOT to use any VBA to do this!

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/12/2006 3:42:49 PM
Alas, this is for a cell where the user 'inputs' numbers... so I cannot
have a formula in that cell!!  I seek a way using the Custom Format, if
it is doable...

Thanks !

Niek Otten wrote:
> Maybe.
>
> But easier would be:
>
> =IF(MOD(A1,1)=0,INT(A1),ROUND(A1,1))
>
> and format as General
>
> Of course you can replace A1 with your original formula, but then it is calculated twice
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>

> "RiTz21" <richard.taillon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160667264.231234.134450@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> |I need a special number format, but I can't seem to get what I want:
> |
> | IF a number is an integer, then there should be NO decimal point
> | displayed.
> | IF a number has a decimal part, then if should display only one digit
> | for it.
> |
> | For instance:
> |
> | 3 -> 3
> | 4.34 -> 4.3
> | 2.88 -> 2.9
> | 34 -> 34
> | 5.01 -> 5.0
> |
> | Is it possible to do this with a custom number format ?
> |
> | THANKS !

> | P.S. I would prefer NOT to use any VBA to do this!

number rounding in MS Excel

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

customizing quote merge template

CSV File Problem

Customizing AdvisorFYI
I have an account for some stock options in a privately-owned company. Approximately monthly, AdvisorFYI keeps telling me, "It's time to update your investment prices in Money." There isn't a price update that often. Is there a way to turn this message off without turning of the other useful AdvisorFYI Investment warnings? ...

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Problems with creating a newsletter

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

outlook 2k2 problem

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

Input to custom reports

Fractions Number format

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

Phone Number Filtering

Roman and Arabic numbers in SEQ
Running 2003 on XP. Got a doc that has SEQ numbering. The code is: ARTICLE{seq level0\h\r0}{seq level1\h\r0} etc. to level 7 and the last entry is {seq level0\r1\*ROMAN) This displays ARTICLE I The next level down is has this code: {seq level0\c\*ROMAN}.{seq level1\r1 \*arabic} This displays as : I.1, with numbers until article five displaying as V.1, V.2, etc. I want it to display as 1.1, 1.2, etc. I tried replacing the ROMAN with arabic, but it didn't change anything. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Using reveal formating and styles, they are no styles...

Customer check data

Rounding Numbers #3

Invoice Numbers 10-27-07