CSV Import Error on text field with +- (Excel 2003)

Hi,

I'm trying to import the following file (test.txt) in Excel 2003:

[Start of File]
Header 1,Header 2
A test+-20,A test|30+-20
[End of File]

When I attempt to import this, I specify both columns as Text in the
Wizard.  However, I get the following in Excel:

A1: Header 1
A2: Header 2
B1: A test+20
B2: A test|30+20

It's dumping the minus sign on me.

Does anyone:
(a) know why this is happening,
(b) know how to get around it, and
(c) know any related problems that I may encounter when importing?

(b) is most relevant to me at present.  The others are nice-to-know
things.

Thanks,
Scott
0
maistrye (14)
6/25/2008 2:58:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

That's pretty weird!  And I don't have a guess why excel does this.

But I could do this and get around the problem.

File|Open test.txt
But instead of clicking Open, shift-click open.  This avoids the data import
wizard completely and puts all the text in one column.  And it includes the
minus!

Then I could select the range and do Data|text to columns to parse the data into
separate columns.

(If you do the file|Open once more and follow the wizard, you'll see that the
minus has already disappeared on the first step of the wizard.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

I see what you mean about the Wizard not having it in the first step.

Scott

On Jun 25, 9:16 am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> That's pretty weird!  And I don't have a guess why excel does this.
>
> But I could do this and get around the problem.
>
> File|Open test.txt
> But instead of clicking Open, shift-click open.  This avoids the data import
> wizard completely and puts all the text in one column.  And it includes the
> minus!
>
> Then I could select the range and do Data|text to columns to parse the data into
> separate columns.
>
> (If you do the file|Open once more and follow the wizard, you'll see that the
> minus has already disappeared on the first step of the wizard.)
>

> Scott wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm trying to import the following file (test.txt) in Excel 2003:
>
> > [Start of File]
> > Header 1,Header 2
> > A test+-20,A test|30+-20
> > [End of File]
>
> > When I attempt to import this, I specify both columns as Text in the
> > Wizard.  However, I get the following in Excel:
>
> > A1: Header 1
> > A2: Header 2
> > B1: A test+20
> > B2: A test|30+20
>
> > It's dumping the minus sign on me.
>
> > Does anyone:
> > (a) know why this is happening,
> > (b) know how to get around it, and
> > (c) know any related problems that I may encounter when importing?
>
> > (b) is most relevant to me at present.  The others are nice-to-know
> > things.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Scott
>
> --