CSV format - puting quotes around all strings

I notice that when I save as CSV (comma-delimited), Excel puts quotation
marks around string fields only where they are necessary (e.g. those
with embedded commas).  It omits them otherwise.

I am trying to export to another application where quotes are mandatory
around every string field.  Is there a way to force Excel to quote all
strings when saving a CSV?

I'm running Microsoft Offce Excel 2003 SP1

     - Rich
0
richp1234 (27)
8/16/2005 4:21:36 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take a look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes

In article <OJ4b$nhoFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
 Rich Pasco <richp1234@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I notice that when I save as CSV (comma-delimited), Excel puts quotation
> marks around string fields only where they are necessary (e.g. those
> with embedded commas).  It omits them otherwise.
>
> I am trying to export to another application where quotes are mandatory
> around every string field.  Is there a way to force Excel to quote all
> strings when saving a CSV?
>
> I'm running Microsoft Offce Excel 2003 SP1
>
>      - Rich
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/16/2005 5:18:04 AM
Rich,

Try the Text Write Program at www.smokeylake.com.  There's an option for
quotes around all the fields.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Rich Pasco" <richp1234@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I notice that when I save as CSV (comma-delimited), Excel puts quotation
> marks around string fields only where they are necessary (e.g. those
> with embedded commas).  It omits them otherwise.
>
> I am trying to export to another application where quotes are mandatory
> around every string field.  Is there a way to force Excel to quote all
> strings when saving a CSV?
>
> I'm running Microsoft Offce Excel 2003 SP1
>
>     - Rich

0
someone798 (944)
8/16/2005 1:50:44 PM
Thank you, that looks like it will do what I want.

     - Rich

JE McGimpsey wrote:

> Take a look here:
>
>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes
>

> In article <OJ4b$nhoFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>  Rich Pasco <richp1234@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I notice that when I save as CSV (comma-delimited), Excel puts quotation
>> marks around string fields only where they are necessary (e.g. those
>> with embedded commas).  It omits them otherwise.
>>
>> I am trying to export to another application where quotes are mandatory
>> around every string field.  Is there a way to force Excel to quote all
>> strings when saving a CSV?
>>
>> I'm running Microsoft Offce Excel 2003 SP1
>>
>>      - Rich
0
richp1234 (27)
8/30/2005 7:36:15 AM
Thank you.  That looks like a very useful tool.  I'll try it.

     - Rich

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Try the Text Write Program at www.smokeylake.com.  There's an option for
> quotes around all the fields.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
>
> "Rich Pasco" <richp1234@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I notice that when I save as CSV (comma-delimited), Excel puts quotation
>> marks around string fields only where they are necessary (e.g. those
>> with embedded commas).  It omits them otherwise.
>>
>> I am trying to export to another application where quotes are mandatory
>> around every string field.  Is there a way to force Excel to quote all
>> strings when saving a CSV?
>>
>> I'm running Microsoft Offce Excel 2003 SP1
>>
>>     - Rich

0
richp1234 (27)

Zip codes are not formatting
I am trying to do a mail merge using an excel data source of addresses. The zip codes appear with zeroes in the data source, but when I merge them to MS Word, the zeroes are dropped. How do I fix this problem? There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx Debbie Love wrote: > I am trying to do a mail merge using an excel data source of addresses. The > zip codes appear with zeroes in the data source, but when I merge them to MS > Word,...

Inserting a file "link" in outlook 2002
Having an issue trying to insert a link (not a hyperlink, don't want users to know the path to the file) into a post, which is directed out to a file on a server. These posts that were previously created were done in exchange, which we were able to insert a shortcut which was only a shorcut and it open the version of the file that is on the server. Now....having upgraded to XP and now on outlook 2002 we are unable to do this. When inserting a file you do not have to option to insert as a link, it inserts the whole entire file. It needs to be just be a shortcut as when they ma...

Restricting Quote Revisions on Closed (Already Revised) Quotes
I have a situation where I need to prevent users from revising quotes that are closed to a new revision. A scenario would be that a user creates and then activates a quote. Next, they close the quote as revised and then activate the revision. Now, if the user goes back to the original quote and clicks on the actions menu they have the option to revise the quote. This is what I want to prevent. Performing this operation creates an entirely new quote id with a revision number of 0. If they activate the quote then they end up with 2 seperate quote id's underneath an opportunity (if opps...

*.csv file question
Question : I have *.csv file that contains data I would like to chart using MS Excel . The data in the *.csv file is updated by another window every minute for a period of 7 hours. If I load the *.csv file into Excel my chart will be current for only one minute. Is it possible to reload the same *.csv file one minute later and have an updated chart and will this present a possible conflict with the other window if I load the file at the same time the other window is updating the data ? On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:48:21 -0600, "Rob" <rls_jls@worldnet.att.net> wrote: Have a loo...

Can't reset "automatically expand to use available space" for Note
Hi all, We created the iFRAME with the setting "automatically expand to use available space". The iFrame was on the same page as the Notes section. However this has now removed the expansion from the Notes section. We moved the iFRAME to another tab but the Notes section is Locked and we can't reset the expansion for Notes which are now stuck in a small letterbox. Do you know how we can reverse this? David ...

Including double-quotes in strings
I want to use the substitute function to replace commas "," with double-quotes. Is there a way to specify double quotes in strings? Hi! =SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","""") Will replace all commas with " Biff "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:OhjSQk6oFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I want to use the substitute function to replace commas "," with > double-quotes. > > Is there a way to specify double quotes in strings? > > yeah. how about this. keep your data in a database and then when you ne...

Emails stuck in "Pending Send" state
Whenever emails are sent out from CRM using a Quick Campaign, they stay in the "Pending Send" state forever. In the past, we've been able to solve this simply by restarting the email router service, but as of a month ago that's not working anymore. We have 2 exchange servers in a cluster, and I've tried both... no luck. There are no errors in the event log on either the Exchange server or the CRM server. Joshua, 1. Under which user account are the quick campaigns being sent? 2. Does Send Email work for that user? 3. Does that user's profile properly have their...

Please assist. Extract Number from String
How can I use a macro to extract only the first batch of numbers from the following type of info? Examples: 01458-MODE 1548-JUNE 1245-NOD 01054-MORNING 00154-JUNE 55145-55145 Result should be: 01458 1548 1245 01054 00154 55145 -------------------- I only need the first batch of numbers before the "-" sign. There will always be this sign "-" separating the two batch of data. Thanks! firstBit =3D Split(theValue,"-")(0) Tim On Dec 16, 8:39=A0am, Damil4real <damil4r...@gmail.com> wrote: > How can I use a macro to extr...

Convert a textbox string value into date
I need to convert a textbox string value in the form of 31-12-09 into a date in the same format, can any one help please, thank you. >>I need to convert a textbox string value in the form of 31-12-09 into a date in the same format, Converting I understand but 'into a date in the same format' is confusing. DateSerial("20" & Right("31-12-09",2),Mid("31-12-09",InStr("31-12-09","-")+1,2),Left("31-12-09",2)) If you format it for display the results is a string. If you are going to use it in calculati...

converting the digits to indian currency format digit
I have the figure as below in one of my form field/and in report: 23,125,456.48 I want to display in indian currency format : 2,31,25,456.48 Any help, ugently requrired. Regards Irshad How about: Format([YourField],"##,##,##,##0,00") ...or some version of it? Irshad Alam wrote: >I have the figure as below in one of my form field/and in report: > >23,125,456.48 > >I want to display in indian currency format : > >2,31,25,456.48 > >Any help, ugently requrired. > >Regards > >Irshad -- RuralGuy (RG for sh...

Sent e-mails stuck in "Outbox"
I can click "Send/Receive" but e-mails are not moved from Outbox to Sent Items, even though I discover they have been sent (it can take several sends before it moves into Outbox). Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks, Adam Page, UK. Adam, I'm having the same problem. If you find an answer please email me. Thanks, Dave >-----Original Message----- >I can click "Send/Receive" but e-mails are not moved from >Outbox to Sent Items, even though I discover they have >been sent (it can take several sends before it moves into >Outbox). > >Do...

How to insert a "Target" line into basic bar chart
Am looking for some info on how to insert a "Target" line into a bar chart. I have a basic chart and would like to put on top of the data a line from left to right which is the target, the bar data would indicate whether this was acheived or not. Am running office 2007. Any help appreciated. thanks From Jon Peltier's site Add a Horizontal Line to a Column or Line Chart: Error Bar Method. Double click on the resulting error bar, and on the Patterns tab, select a color and line style for the horizontal line. Here I've chosen a solid red line. ... peltiertech.com/Excel/C...

retrieving connection string w/ ConfigurationManager
I am trying to store and retrieve connection string info from config file and I am having trouble retrieving the connection string info. I stored the info with the following: Configuration config = null; config = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationUserLevel.None ); config.ConnectionStrings.ConnectionStrings.Add( new ConnectionStringSettings( "MyConfigurationString", "Server=local;Database=Test;Password=password;User Id=john;" ) ); config.Save(); I then remove the Add method and use the following try to retrie...

VBScript String Clean function
This article provides a function written in VBScript which removes illegal characters from a string. The illegal characters are specified in an array at the beginning of the function. The function is passed the string which may contain illegal characters, which then processes the string to remove or replace any illegal characters. The code also allows you to specify the character or word which will replace specific illegal characters. The illegal characters provided in the function are included for processing strings which will become the filename of a document or list item in Sh...

Change Full name format to First Last Middle ??
Hi, need to set the name format to First Last Middle but the CRM setting do not cater for that. can anyone assist in the setting? is it possible to add that option in? Thanks in advance On Feb 14, 1:25 pm, dreamerz <dream...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > need to set the name format to First Last Middle > but the CRM setting do not cater for that. > can anyone assist in the setting? > is it possible to add that option in? > > Thanks in advance Hi, i m someone working on MS CRM from its first version. if u need any help on MS CRM, u can contact me...

Ability to choose default setting for "Include Purchase orders"
I would like to see the ability to choose the default setting for the "Include Purchase Orders" option that is found in the "Post Closed Batches" window. To get to this window, click Journal, click Post Close Batches. Not everyone posts closed batches to QuickBooks and this is an extra step that could be avoided if we were allowed to choose the default for this setting. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the mess...

Conditional Format #3
Hi all, Can someone help me with this conditional format problem? I am trying to express the following: If the number in cell B3 can be found in the range J1:O1, then the condition is true. The number in B3 is constant (35), the values in range J1:O1 change weekly. Many thanks George Gee Use formula is and =COUNTIF(J1:O1,B3)>0 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message news:e4uSSHSFFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > Can someone help me with this conditional format problem? > > I am trying to ex...

What's wrong=IF(AND(H6>B6, I6>C6),1, IF(AND(H6=B6, I6=C6),"EQUAL",
I am on a scale of 1-10, 4 in excel, I am trying to try nested if's, and I get every value to the last value of else which is "-1". I am missing something, could you tell me please? Thanks in advance I already got this answer, it was just a mis-match in the comparisons, hence defaulting to "-1". Please do not respond. "Mahendra" wrote: > I am on a scale of 1-10, 4 in excel, I am trying to try nested if's, and I > get every value to the last value of else which is "-1". I am missing > something, could you tell me please? Tha...

Format (excel 2002)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C3E26C.86E36260 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable cell A1=3DJim (green) cell A2=3DBob (blue) cell A3=3DJill (red) In cell D10 Ihave: IF(B2>5,A1,A3) How do I get the original format (Color) of A1, A2 or A3 in D10 ?? Thanks. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C3E26C.86E36260 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> &l...

Difference between SMTP verbs "AUTH LOGIN" and "AUTH=LOGIN"
Hi, Can someone point me to what is the difference between the two SMTP methods 250-AUTH LOGIN 250-AUTH=LOGIN I went through the RFC "SMTP Service Extension for Authentication "http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2554.html and I couldn't find a command "250-AUTH=LOGIN" in it. Are these two different or same? What is the significance of the "=" sign? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sug ...

Problem with Typing "&" in Excel Header section
Hi, I am trying to type up the following in the Header section in Excel: King & Bay Financial Review. However, the "&" is not being recognized. It's coming up as King Bay Financial Review. Is there any way I can still type in the ampersand sign in the Header section? Thanks. Shams. Type two ampersands, -- King && Bay Financial Review "Shams" wrote: > Hi, > I am trying to type up the following in the Header section in Excel: > > King & Bay Financial Review. > > However, the "&" is not...

Can't open files from a different version saved to 2000 format
Hi, I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The document shows up in the preview area, but will not open. She even tried to save it to the 98 format, but it still will not open. Any ideas? Julie wrote: > Hi, > > I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using > Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, > but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The > d...

How many "real" RAM does my Application cover,...
Hi, i wonder if there is a way to find out how many "real" ram my application covers in memory. I think this is impossible because of the Virtual Adressing on Windows and its architecture, maybe i am wrong... Regards Kerem -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue Kerem G�mr�kc� Latest Project: http://www.codeplex.com/restarts Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de ----------------------- "This reply is provided as is, without warranty express or implied." In general no, and it doesn't matter all that much mo...

Formatting Cells #14
Is it possible to format cells to accept text and display that text in title case? I am using Excel 2003. Not through formatting alone. You could use a helper cell: =upper(a1) Or you could use an event macro like the one at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm look for: Changing Case On Data Entry Paul wrote: > > Is it possible to format cells to accept text and display that text in title > case? I am using Excel 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

Protected cells -automatically format to a different color
My old dos spreadsheet (supercalc 5) used to colour the text of protected cells in a different color ,(which made the entry of data easy because the protected cells usually contain formulae ).When reentering new data I was then able to select the whole spreadsheet and "blank " all cells that are not protected in one keystroke. This left all cells that were protected with there formulae intact and highlighted in a different color. Can anyone suggest the way to do this in EXCEL? The ideal solution would be to create a format or a style that will automatically be used whenever a cel...