cross linking excel files - help needed!

ok, there is a nut that i cant break.

I have 2-3 excel files that need to be linked.
File M (master) contains multiple worksheets, of all sorts of data, its
the master file for my files
File L, is a lookup file im creating for better usage, its used for
dumping data from msproject and reformat some stuff. It has only one
sheet of relevance.
File S, the summary file is the thing i need help with, it is linked to
both files and is used to create monthly summarys. In that file i am
using a lot SUMIF elements like:
SUMIF ([file M]sheet1!A1:A30;B8;[file M]sheet1!D1:D30)

Now the thing is: This works fine aslong as i have L and M files open
or when i had them open AFTER i opend the S file.
If i only open the S file i get a #VALUE! in all fields where i have
SUMIF commands. This #VALUE! is replaced with the proper value as soon
as i open the files entered in the SUMIF.

How can that be solved?

---

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think =sumif() dislikes closed files.

But maybe you could rewrite your formula using:
=SUM(IF('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8,
        'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30))
(all one cell)

This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
them yourself.)

(I'd actually create the formula with both workbooks open, so I could just point
and click on the ranges.  Then when you close the "file M" workbook, you'll see
the full path to the closed file.)

Another formula that'll work without having to remember to ctrl-shift-enter:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),
               'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
(all one cell, again)

Sastul wrote:

> ok, there is a nut that i cant break.
>
> I have 2-3 excel files that need to be linked.
> File M (master) contains multiple worksheets, of all sorts of data, its
> the master file for my files
> File L, is a lookup file im creating for better usage, its used for
> dumping data from msproject and reformat some stuff. It has only one
> sheet of relevance.
> File S, the summary file is the thing i need help with, it is linked to
> both files and is used to create monthly summarys. In that file i am
> using a lot SUMIF elements like:
> SUMIF ([file M]sheet1!A1:A30;B8;[file M]sheet1!D1:D30)
>
> Now the thing is: This works fine aslong as i have L and M files open
> or when i had them open AFTER i opend the S file.
> If i only open the S file i get a #VALUE! in all fields where i have
> SUMIF commands. This #VALUE! is replaced with the proper value as soon
> as i open the files entered in the SUMIF.
>
> How can that be solved?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
12/18/2003 5:13:08 PM
Or use sumproduct and enter normally

=SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file
m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),'C:\My Documents\excel\[file
m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)

Beware of the line wrap

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> I think =sumif() dislikes closed files.
>
> But maybe you could rewrite your formula using:
> =SUM(IF('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8,
>         'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30))
> (all one cell)
>
> This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you
do it
> correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't
type
> them yourself.)
>
> (I'd actually create the formula with both workbooks open, so I could just
point
> and click on the ranges.  Then when you close the "file M" workbook,
you'll see
> the full path to the closed file.)
>
> Another formula that'll work without having to remember to
ctrl-shift-enter:

> =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),
>                'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
> (all one cell, again)
>

> Sastul wrote:
> >
> > ok, there is a nut that i cant break.
> >
> > I have 2-3 excel files that need to be linked.
> > File M (master) contains multiple worksheets, of all sorts of data, its
> > the master file for my files
> > File L, is a lookup file im creating for better usage, its used for
> > dumping data from msproject and reformat some stuff. It has only one
> > sheet of relevance.
> > File S, the summary file is the thing i need help with, it is linked to
> > both files and is used to create monthly summarys. In that file i am
> > using a lot SUMIF elements like:
> > SUMIF ([file M]sheet1!A1:A30;B8;[file M]sheet1!D1:D30)
> >
> > Now the thing is: This works fine aslong as i have L and M files open
> > or when i had them open AFTER i opend the S file.
> > If i only open the S file i get a #VALUE! in all fields where i have
> > SUMIF commands. This #VALUE! is replaced with the proper value as soon
> > as i open the files entered in the SUMIF.
> >
> > How can that be solved?
> >
> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
terre08 (1112)
12/18/2003 5:24:58 PM
Hmmm.

near the bottom of my post:

Another formula that'll work without having to remember to ctrl-shift-enter:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),
               'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
(all one cell, again)

=====
<vbg>

ps.  I'm getting delays on an email sent directly to you.  Is your mailbox full?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

That's what I get for reading the whole post..

I have no idea but I believe the mvps.org
is spammed very hard and I have problems receiving emails. If you need to
email me you can use

terre08@mindspring.com

--

> Hmmm.
>
> near the bottom of my post:
>
> Another formula that'll work without having to remember to
ctrl-shift-enter:

> =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),
>                'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
> (all one cell, again)
>

> =====
> <vbg>
>
> ps.  I'm getting delays on an email sent directly to you.  Is your mailbox
full?

> Peo Sjoblom wrote:
> >
> > Or use sumproduct and enter normally
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file
> > m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),'C:\My Documents\excel\[file
> > m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
> >
> > Beware of the line wrap
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > I think =sumif() dislikes closed files.
> > >
> > > But maybe you could rewrite your formula using:
> > > =SUM(IF('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8,
> > >         'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30))
> > > (all one cell)
> > >
> > > This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If
you
> > do it
> > > correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.
(don't
> > type
> > > them yourself.)
> > >
> > > (I'd actually create the formula with both workbooks open, so I could
just
> > point
> > > and click on the ranges.  Then when you close the "file M" workbook,
> > you'll see
> > > the full path to the closed file.)
> > >
> > > Another formula that'll work without having to remember to
> > ctrl-shift-enter:
> > >
> > > =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[file
m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8),
> > >                'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$30)
> > > (all one cell, again)

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > > ec35720@msn.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
terre08 (1112)

PST file locaion under Win7
Hi, Where does outlook 2007 keeps PST files under windows7? Apparently under Users/myname there is no folder AppData\Local... Thank you for your help. ...

CRM 3.0 and Microsoft VPC Help
Forum Members: I am trying to install Microsoft CRM 3.0 (VPC) and Microsoft VPC 5.3.582.45. I can't figure out how to get the CRM image up and running. My CRM files are loaded on an external hard drive. Please help! Thanks, Casey Please clarify: The CRM 3.0 VPC expired on 11/30/2008 Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Virtual PC Demonstration - August 2007 Release: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=57394BC8-5ECC-422E-A066-34189F48F8C8&displaylang=en Directions: For the VPC documentation and demonstration materials: download the VPC Documentation and Demonstrati...

Linking files 2 ways

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Excel button problem