Creating column content based on another column's keyword(s)

All:

I'm trying to create a -new- *Category* column based on keywords from
pre-existing *Names* column.

For example, if the *Names* column is full of US maps (e.g. Abielene
TX; Akron, OH; etc.), the *Category* column's adjacent cell woul
contain just the state:

A2: Abielene, TX  |  B2: TX
A3: Akron, OH  |  B3: OH
etc.

At its simplest, the *Category* column could just be the firs
letter/number/charc of *Names* column.

Basically, I'm looking for the proverbial quick n' dirty macro scrip
to achieve these results.

Thx!

KHashmi31
KHashmi316's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1043
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27348

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This might be sufficient if the structure
of the sample data posted is representative ..

Put in B2:
=TRIM(MID(A2,SEARCH(",",A2)+2,99))
Copy down

The "99" is arbitrary and probably overkill <g>
--
Rgds
Max

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10439