count occurences of a character in a colume

Im sure there is an easy way, I cant find it though.
How could I count all cells in a colume where the value was X
this is excel 2007

thanks

Craig

0
carl5618 (16)
7/16/2009 3:59:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=countif(a:a,"x")
is one way.

Debra Dalgleish has a bunch of "counting" function descriptions here:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html

And a bunch more notes for "sum" functions here:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions01.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Counting in Excel #5
Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help -- Angel16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Angel160's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1550 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27561 glad to help -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Angel160" <Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help. > > > -- > Angel160 > ---------------...

Filter's total count
Hi I used to see the total number of records ( rows) for a selected type of columns when using filters, somehow now I lost that functionality, what do I need to do to get back the countner at the bottom of the sheet? i.e: Select Filter, choose one or two columns, then use the filter, and at the bottom is should show the number of records (rows) selected, and the total number of rows in the sheet.... but that is gone.. what can I do?? Cheers, Luis Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Luis Cuevas" <anonym...

unable to display the folder. an unexpected error occurred
I use outlook to view mail on a groupwise server. when i open the mailbox or the calandar i get "unable to display the folder. an unexpected error occurred". i can view the notes folder and the tasks folder. i can also see that i have unopened mail, but when i try to open the mailbox, i get the above error. any solutions? please help. thank you. ...

Unique entries based on condition
Hi, I'm really struggling with what I thought should be easy. A B C D branch salesperson transaction num Item code I'm trying to the number of unique saples people in each branch, the number of unique tranactions by each sales person, and the number of unique items in each transaction. In another program I use "Count Distinct" but am struggling to acheieve the same in excel. Any ideas? -- Rich http://www.rhodes-lindos.co.uk http://www.rhodes-pefkos.co.uk Try these array fo...

Trimming leading character from string and replace underscore with dashes
Dear Experts: My worksheet has numerous entries, which all have the following form: _##_###_##_## (e.g. _90_237_44_44 or _40_443_22_77) I would like to run a macro that changes the SELECTED CELLS from _##_###_##_## to ##-###-###-## That is ... .... the first underscore has to be dropped .... all the other underscores have to be replaced with dashes. I got a formula alternative but I'd rather run a macro that performs the following on SELECTED CELLS: SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)),"_","-") Help is much appreciated. Thank you very muc in advance. ...

How do I "lock" a column so I can scroll across to another colum
How do I "lock" a column so I can scroll across the page and still see the original column? click in the cell where you want to lock the left and above parts of the sheet and then use Freeze Panes in teh windows menu -- John MOS Master Instructor Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "andysarms" wrote: > How do I "lock" a column so I can scroll across the page and still see the > original column? ...

Hello all, I have a rather simple to describe but difficult to solve problem. Our customers want to use our ANSI MFC program to show different languages. For example Polish. When I set the font for the different controls they behave different. For example the CEdit shows the polish characters just right but the CButton with checkbox style shows glyphs instead of the special characters. Every control that is owner draw and uses for example the DrawText() function of the device context shows the characters right. I've experimented with _UNICODE for the display part and everything I could ...

How do I get rid of line feed characters in wrapped text?
I have to use a database which has been imported into Excel. In one of the fields the address details appear as wrapped text. When I unwrap the text there is a "square" character between the 2 parts of the field. How do I get rid of this? All assistance appreciated, thanks. Glad The boxes are probably carriage returns. In Excel, try Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0010(on numpad) with: space(or nothing) OR ALT + 0013 If this doesn't work, post back. There are other avenues of approach. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:23:02 -0800, "Gladmac" <Gl...

Exporting to CSV file with Chinese Characters in Spreadsheet
I received a file from one of our subsidiaries in Honk Kong. The spreadsheet has Chinese characters in the spreadsheet that appear and print out just fine as Chinese characters. But when I export the data to a Comma Separated Value file, the Chinese characters all appear as question marks. I tried adding the Chinese language with the Windows XP SP2 CD but it did not make any difference. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks! Ron Hi Ron, I have a feeling that CSV files are always encoded as 8-bit and can't handle unicode text such as the Chinese alphabet. Can you export the data ...

Counting number of X's in a column

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Measuring number of occurences in a list
Hello everyone, I have a list that comes out of an online questionnaire and I would like to measure (as a count, and percentage) the number of occurences of a particular reply to each question. Here is an example below of the layout of the table : postDate email Region Question04 Question05 Question06 17/06/2004 16:28 a@xmailaddrxss.com North America Satisfactory Better in the Afternoon From Both 17/06/2004 16:18 b@xmailaddrxss.com Asia Pac Good Better in the Morning F...

SUMIF: Criteria range is from other sheet and problem occurs
I am trying to use "sumif" in a new workbook and the data range is fro another sheet. This is creating a problem when the criteria is 5 o multiple of 5 as the data comes incorrect or comes when there shoul not be any data (in this case it should come 0 or NA or something). Is this a problem with excel? Pls guide!!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi is the range in your SUMIF formula in a different workbook and is this workbook closed?. If yes SUMIF won't work for this closed workbook. You may convert your SUMIFformula to a SUMPRODUCT formula. e.g. =SUMI...

counting #2
I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a column, can anyone help. Alan have a look in the help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "fomula problems" <fomulaproblems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBE38035-C806-4EE7-8AE6-B2717BF46877@microsoft.com... >I would like to show the number of 1's, M's, A's and blank cells in a >column, > can anyone help. > Alan ="1's="&COUNTIF(A:A,1)&CHAR(10)&"M's="&COUNTIF(A:A...

Inserting Word Count in a document
Hello, I know there is a word count tool in Microsoft Word, but is there any way that number can be inserted in the document anywhere, i.e. the header or the footer? Thanks! Insert the NUMWORDS field where you want the word count. Note that this field (like most fields) won't update automatically. If you choose to insert it in the header or footer, you can update it by switching to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "MacNut2004" <MacNut2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C41...

Commas and other separator characters in Custom Text Fields
I am working on a proposal. This means an individual can be responsible for several paragraphs in the statement of work (SOW). I pasted SOW paragraph numbers separated by commas into a text field. No problem. Here is the text I want to paste: 3.2.7, 3.2.7.1, 3.2.7.1.1, 3.2.7.1.2, 3.2.7.2, 3.2.7.2.1, 3.7.2.2.2 However, when I made the text field a Custom Field, Project 2007 stripped off everything after the first comma. Is there any way to make this work in a custom field? Thanks in advance. The text from your post pasted perfectly to Project 2007 for me in the Tex...

COUNT Function
I am working on a work schedule for a group of employees. They are schedule to work through a range of time. For example, Mr. B works from 8 am to 5 PM, Mrs. C works from 10 am through 5 pm...ect. The layout would be similar to the one below A B C D F Name start end Hour # of workers Mr B 8 am 5 pm 6 am ? Mrs C 10 am 5 pm 7 am ? 8 am ? I want to know the number of workers scheduled for 6 am or from 6 am to 7 am, or each hour according to the range of sta...

Exception Occurred excel form vba
Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me on this one. I am getting the error "exception occurred" when I try to inpu anything onto a Form that is called from a MS Excel SS. The form is a simple 4 text fields and 4 integer fields. There isn't any code specifically on the form, only under the "ok button on the form. any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Crai -- cclambi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cclambie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2913 View this thread: http...

what control can display characters from txt files in a dialog?
I want to read lines from txt files and display them on a dialog.I wonder which control can be put into the dialog to hold the characters from txt? Something like :- while(m_file.ReadString(tmpstr)) { str += tmpstr; } m_edit.SetWindowText(str); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "liao_xf" <sclxf@sina.com> wrote in message news:001401c3652f$177b9830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Thanks first! > I know that Edit control can receive and edit input. > and I know the filestdio can read lines from txt. > but can you tell me how to attatch the lines to the edit? > Thanks!...

Help counting items please
Having a bit of trouble counting items on the following example: A B 1 Apples Pears Bananas Green 2 Peaches Apples Grapes Yellow 3 Pears Oranges Tomato Green 4 Corn Squash Apples Green I'd like to use a formula to count how many cells in column A contain "Apples", while at the same time column B contains "Green" I can do a conditional sum to find out how many cells in column A contain "Apples Pears Bananas" and column B "Green", but can anyone tell me how to look for just the one word within a cell, when the word position could be anywh...

some font characters appear as boxes
Recently some of the font characters in Publisher 2003 have been replaced by small boxes. Different characters are affected in different fonts, e.g., in Times New Roman small-case "f"s are replaced, as well as italicized "!" and symbols such as "&" and "+" In Arial, "w" is replaced as is capital "J" - and the list goes on. It doesn't matter whether the text originates in Publisher or Word, or if I "Edit the Story in Word." I've reloaded both Publisher and Word, to no avail. If I "Edit Story in Word&qu...

Online Banking
I bank with Truliant Federal Credit Union. They require a special password to access information with Money 2005. Truliant's site allows the use of special characters in passwords. My password contains the "$" character. After supplying my username and password to MS Money 2005 to retrieve my account details, the following message is presented: <<Red Exclamation Mark>> Your password cannot contain special characters (such as punctuation or symbols). Is this an issue with Money or my banking instituion? Kind regards, Orlanzo "Orlanzo Ross" <...

Grouping and counting
I am using Access 2007. I have a table of real estate sold by several thousand agents. I want to count the number of sales made by each agent (I can group by each agent's unique user ID). Other than generating a report, how can I accomplish this with a query? Joe Parsons In query design view, depress the Total button on the toolbar. Access adds a Total row to the design grid. In the Total row udner the agent's ID, choose Group By. In the Total row under the primary key field, choose Count. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http:/...

Counting negative values
Hi All, I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this. I have a following table: No, Company,Var1 12, ZXC, 6 12, ZXC, 4 12, ZXC, -3 34, AAC, 2 34, AAC, 4 56, BBR, -5 78, CCV, -4 78, CCV, -12 What I need is another column with some variable that would turn e.g. 1 when company has at least one row with negative value of Var1 and 0 if not. In other words, i'd like to get: No, Company,Var1, Var2 12, ZXC, 6, 1 12, ZXC, 4, 1 12, ZXC, -3, 1 34, AAC, 2, 0 34, AAC, 4, 0 56, BBR, -5, 1 78, CCV, -4, 1 78, CCV, -12, 1 I have to add that I have about 9000 rows and i'm using exc...

Help with counting distinct records!
I work at a homeless shelter and we're putting together an Access database to automate our keeping track of guests, services and statistics. Here's the situation: I have two main tables: Guest (stores data such as GuestID, First Name, Last Name, etc.) and Services (stores data such as the type of service the guest used (Shelter Bed, Lunch, Dinner, Hygiene Items, etc.), the date the service was used, and an "alias" connector to the GuestID called ServicesLink.) Each month, we track how many Shelter beds we used overall and also how many UNIQUE guests (ServicesLink) we of...