Corrupt File? #2

I have a workbook which is the data source for MS Access (Linked table).  The
workbook has some basic macro coding (changes text names to cost centers,
etc).

While working with the data yesterday in Excel, an error message appeared,
closed the workbook, and now I can't reopen it.

I can pull the data in by linking it to another workbook but not through
access.  The dialog I receive when attempting to link in excel is:

Links to 'Workbook.xls' were not updated because 'Workbook.xls' was not
recalculated before it was last saved.

To update links with current values in 'Workbook.xls', click OK.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover the original workbook?

I am using Office 2000 SP3 on Windows 2000.

Thanks.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I heard that sometimes open a corrupt workbook in Open Office then copy and
pasting can save the data, you obviously have to download open Office to
even try it, otherwise 2003 is supposed to be the best version for
recovering workbooks

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Vince Stitt" <VinceStitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook which is the data source for MS Access (Linked table).
>The
> workbook has some basic macro coding (changes text names to cost centers,
> etc).
>
> While working with the data yesterday in Excel, an error message appeared,
> closed the workbook, and now I can't reopen it.
>
> I can pull the data in by linking it to another workbook but not through
> access.  The dialog I receive when attempting to link in excel is:
>
> Links to 'Workbook.xls' were not updated because 'Workbook.xls' was not
> recalculated before it was last saved.
>
> To update links with current values in 'Workbook.xls', click OK.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover the original workbook?
>
> I am using Office 2000 SP3 on Windows 2000.
>
> Thanks.

0
terre081 (3244)

Unable to access contacts #2
When I try to write an email in outlook and press the "To" button it says "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Office Outlook Help." But, if I go to the contacts from the main outlook screen my contacts come up fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Brian Mullins Next time, post your version. We will assume Outlook 2002 or ...

PUB File Viewer
Is there a PUB file viewer available? I have someone creating PUB files and sending them to me to review and I don't have Microsoft Publisher. Thanks in advance for any help... No, there not a Publisher Viewer. Have that person convert the file to a ,pdf and send you that for proofing. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ray Mooney" <ray@mooney.net> wrote in message news:O7FjFXUjEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a PUB file viewer available? > > I have someone creating PUB files and sending them to me to review and I > don't have ...

Significant figures #2
HELP Once again I am driving myself insane. We need to format cells in our worksheet to show significant figures. We need to post lab results using the correct number of significan figures. Ex. 0.1 must be displayed as 0.100 10 needs to be displayed as 10.0 105 as 105 1023 as 1020 10343 as 10300 165435 as 165000 I have written a complicated if then else statement for every cell. The statment works perfectly EXCEPT when a number is an exact number. The problem is that when some of the trailing digits are 0's they ge truncated. We always want numbers less than 1 to show 3 decimal ...

Access 2007 help file
I am using Access 2007. I cannot get any help information for Visual Basic. When in Visual Basic if I hit the help menu icon, I get an online help window to open, but every time I try to get information on "DAO reference" and follow the thread to the information I want, the answer screen is blank---i.e. no information at all; no words, no nothing! Did I install wrongly? Is this something new Turn off the option to search online help so that you are only using help from your computer. On the bottom right side of the online help screen, click the icon and change the ...

Master Posting
I am new to GP - I have entered about 10 transactions in the Sales Transaction Entry, and posted each one of them. After entering/posting, I realized I had made a couple of mistakes. Somehow - in looking for the solution to how to correct the mistakes, the 'Master Posting' was deleted. So, I have receivables showing the enteries I made, but I can not post to them all the other accounts that need to be posted to by using the 'Master Posting' function. Is there some way to delete the posted transactions, or alternatively, 'manually' do the master posting on the...

addition with a maximum value #2
Nevermind. Figured it out! =IF(SUM(D10+E10)>20,20,(SUM(D10+E10)+F10) -- djarcadia ----------------------------------------------------------------------- djarcadian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31496 ...

ActiveSync and Outlook 2003 #2
Is anyone having problems syncing contacts and calander to Outlook 2003? I'm running ActiveSync 3.7.1 and keep getting the following error: The following contact cannot be written to Microsoft Outlook due to error 80040107. The item will be skipped This is an invalid entry ID; have you tried deleting the contact and recreating it? "Nathan Guidry" <nguidry@jjma.com> wrote in message news:eSZ$6EuqEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Is anyone having problems syncing contacts and calander to Outlook 2003? > I'm running ActiveSync 3.7.1 and keep getting the follo...

2000 File Export Issue
Running Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) and trying to export a date range to Excel. I'm following the instructions, but all I get are the column headings -- no data. What am I doing wrong? ...

Transfering XLM files between computers....
Hy!! Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using C#...... Sorry, XML files,not XLM.... My mistake.... "Pilence" <ddinjar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e4k342$pre$1@news2.carnet.hr... > Hy!! > > Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using > C#...... > Pilence wrote: > Can someone tell me please how to do this type of work done by using > C#...... An Xml file is not different from other files in the file system or on the network so you can use tools like FTP to transfer files. Your requ...

Deliver new email to pst file
If I change the location new email is delivered to by following the instructions below, will this work if outlook is closed? On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next. In the Deliver new e-mail to the following location list, select where you want to the new messages delivered. Click Finish. Yes, the new mail will be delivered to the location you specify the next = time Outlook is opened and polls for mail. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited ma...

Embed Date/Time on existing Video File
I am creating a number of video files that have come from IP Cameras. I need to be able to embed the Date/Time into the file, so that when it plays, you see the current date/time appearing on the screen. I know the start time of the file. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this, either directly in VB, or if there is an ActiveX component around to do this. This has to be an automated process, rather than by hand. Thanks -Jerry Not sure if still current but I saw few years (?!) ago DirectShow Editing Services which was part of DirectX and is now at : http...

File Download Error
We recently had to do a database reattachment and subsequent new CRM 4.0 install for a customer who experienced a virus attack. Everything is stable and working but whenever we try to hit one of the Notes>>File attachment - we get a File Download Error and it won't find the link to the original document. We can't attach new files either. Anybody see this before? ...

Calculation Order problem. #2
Bump... sry about the bump, but i'm desperate for a solution to this. -- ICE9 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ICE9's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=265139 ...

Publisher 07 default files
Good morning. I have a question about setting defaults and I hope someone can help me. I have a user who would like to set her default file open to a certain location; has anyone set this up for Publisher 2007? Thank you in advance -- Diane Publisher 07 does not have this default as an option. You can create a Publisher folder, add to "My Places", when you save a Publisher document the folder will be one click away. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Diane" <Diane@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Need 2 rows to display X axis data points for a line graph
X axis is 100 data points, and all must be displayed. They do display, but are all mushed up. In Corel, you have the option to display the X axis on up to 3 rows, with interspersed tick marks. In Excel, I seem to be able only to manipulate the number of categories between tick marks and tick mark labels, but can't stagger data onto multiple rows. Any ideas or add-ins I could try? Excel 2002. Thanks, Susan This web page gives a suggestion for staggering your labels: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Staggered.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technic...

.msi File Editing
I aplogize for posting this message here. I did not know where else to post it. If there is a more appropriate newsgroup, please point me to it. I have a .msi file created for installing Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2006 from an administrative image. This file was created when a prior server was in use. The new server has a different name and now the pathing contained within the file is no longer valid. The folder structure on the new server is the same, only the server name in the pathing needs to be changed. I would like to know how to edit the .msi file to change the serv...

Saving files with macros
I use to be able to set the protection properties to enable macros and everything with macros would work without halting. Now in 2007 I must save in ..xlsm format for this to happen. I am the only person on my computer and it's real pain to remember to file as a special format when I have created macros. Is there way to just allow macros period? -- Skip Using Office 2003 Pro 2007 Student version There is a setting in Office | Excel Options that saves all files as macro-enabled best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from emai...

I have 2 Access DB with linked tables
In DB 1 is frmTokenDelivery and in DB 2 are tblImageBuild and tblHardwareRequest. I link to the tables from DB1. The DBs belongs to two seperate departments. The two departments perform seperate operations that must be completed before hardware is delivered to the user or to another dept. for further action. My Need: I want to display a date in DB 2 on frmTokenDelivery in DB 1. Field in DB 2 is ProDate (i.e projected dated). Sorry for the long explaination. Any assistance will be highly appreciated! With regards, Sokan33 wrote: > In DB 1 is frmTokenDelivery and in DB 2 are tblIm...

Macro to update Chart #2
I'm trying to create a macro that will update a dashboard of charts by pushing a button. The data resides in the same excel file but different page and the dashboard contains approx 7 charts. The charts are updated quarterly and rather than having to go into each one and shift the source data I would like to automate it....any ideas? I'm a novice to macros! -- lajohn63 Why use a macro? Make dynamic charts: Dynamic Charts - http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/dynamic-charts/ Dynamic and Interactive Charts (overview) - http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ...

IS not backing up with ntbackup #2
Running Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 I scheduled a nightly backup of MIS at 3:00 am , it is running under the Domain Administrator account. When I do this manually it works fine but none of the scheduled ones work. The Scheduled Tasks veiwer says Cannot start error 0x0. Any ideas ? there is nothing in the event veiwer under any logs at the scheduled time either. I have another one scheduled for User Docs at 1 am which works fine and ends at 2:00 am. ...

Unable to open .DOC file. FILE DOWNLOAD box appears
Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I get the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.) I have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem. Any suggestions for a quick ...

How do I insert several documents into one folder or file
I need to combine several word documents into a file or folder so that that folder can be sent as an attachment on e-mails On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:55:01 -0700, Elephant1 wrote: > I need to combine several word documents into a file or folder so that that > folder can be sent as an attachment on e-mails Word Documents? You have posted this message to the wrong newsgroup. The access in this groups name refers to Microsoft Access, a database program. Please repost to the correct newsgroup for whatever version of the Word program you are using. I would suggest you include your Windows a...

How do YOU organize the Excel projects? #2
I am not a pro in the programming, but I wrote several macros/programs doing various stuff over the years. Some of the rutines I use for future reference. All of them are in the Module1, Module2.....Module35. If I want to find some of the projects I have to go through 30 modules to find the right one. How do pros take care of it? Thanks. You may assign names to your modules. In the VB Editor, select the module and choose View>Properties>select the name that says Module1 and change it as desired. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "art" <a...

Opening Publisher file
When I send a Publisher file as an attachment, I always try to open it before sending to make sure it's ok. I get the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Just now someone tried to send me a Publisher file as an attachment and I got the same message. I'm using Publisher 2003, Outlook 2003 for e-mail -- Donna in Idaho Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: www.LinusIdaho.org http://community.webshots.com/user/donnakwilts Remove "invalid" to reply Do you get error number 1605? See if reading this artic...

W-2 Forms
My accounting head tells me she read "somewhere" that we won't be able to print W-2s for 2007 on GP 9. We will have to upgrade our hardware for 10 and I am not quite ready for that. Can anyone set me straight on this? Thanks!!! Haven't heard ANYTHING of the sort. Now, Microsoft is no longer supporting (after August that is) version 8 and any W2 changes could be problems there. But V9 is not expected to be a problem. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at h...