Copying conditional formats

I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
cells - very frustrated.  Help infers that the Format Painter can be used,
but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera).  How do we just
copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes?
Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules
from the conditional format menu?

0
mailrichard (109)
11/23/2008 10:55:25 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

copy the cell | go to edit | paste special | format | ok

On Nov 23, 3:55=A0pm, "Blue Max" <mailrich...@msn.com> wrote:
> I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
> cells - very frustrated. =A0Help infers that the Format Painter can be us=
ed,
> but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera). =A0How do we jus=
> copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes?
> Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rule=
> from the conditional format menu?

0
muddanmadhu (119)
11/23/2008 11:14:26 AM
With XL2003 or XL2007, paste special formats does it.
Daniel

> I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
> cells - very frustrated.  Help infers that the Format Painter can be used,
> but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera).  How do we just copy
> the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes? Why can't
> we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules from the
> conditional format menu?

Yes, but it copies all the formats (colors, borders, conditional, etc).  So
how do we copy JUST the conditional formatting without the other attributes.
I don't see any option for conditional formats under 'Paste Special'?

Thanks,
Richard

***************
"Daniel.C" <dcolardelleZZZ@free.fr> wrote in message
> With XL2003 or XL2007, paste special formats does it.
> Daniel
>
>> I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
>> cells - very frustrated.  Help infers that the Format Painter can be
>> used, but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera).  How do we
>> just copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting
>> attributes? Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional
>> formatting rules from the conditional format menu?

0
mailrichard (109)
11/23/2008 11:59:28 AM
Yes, but it copies all the formats (colors, borders, conditional, etc) in
Excel 2007.  So how do we copy JUST the conditional formatting without the

On Nov 23, 3:55 pm, "Blue Max" <mailrich...@msn.com> wrote:
> I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
> cells - very frustrated. Help infers that the Format Painter can be used,
> but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera). How do we just
> copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes?
> Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules
> from the conditional format menu?

0
mailrichard (109)
11/23/2008 12:00:14 PM
Hi,

You can tap F5  (or Edit>Go To, or Ctrl+G)
This brings up the GoTo Dialog Box
Then click Special
Then check Conditional Formats and OK
You can then copy and paste them.

This will select all CFs in your selection set.

A better way is to select all the cells you wish to apply the CF to
before you apply the CF.

HTH
Martin

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
>cells - very frustrated.  Help infers that the Format Painter can be used,
>but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera).  How do we just
>copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes?
>Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules
>from the conditional format menu?

Thank you, Martin.  See inline comments below:

"MartinW" <nowhere@hotmail.nut> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You can tap F5  (or Edit>Go To, or Ctrl+G)
> This brings up the GoTo Dialog Box
> Then click Special
> Then check Conditional Formats and OK
> You can then copy and paste them.
*********************
Are you saying that this will only cut the conditional formatting, without
any other attributes, from the selected cells?  When the selection is pasted
to the destination cells, does it only paste the conditional formatting?
*********************

> This will select all CFs in your selection set.

*********************
Does this mean that all the conditional formats in the copied selection will
be pasted, without any other formatting, into the destination cells? In
other words, are multiple CF rules applied to ALL cells or do the
destination formats simply match the source cell by cell?
*********************

> A better way is to select all the cells you wish to apply the CF to
> before you apply the CF.

*********************
Ideally, yes, but this can be difficult sometimes.
*********************

*********************
Meanwhile, we would like to share another option we have discovered.  By
going to Home Tab > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules, you can locate
the rule you want and then add the new range of cells (use commas between
ranges) to the cell ranges already associated with this CF rule.  Works
well, but would still be much nicer if the user could simply use the 'Paste
Special' dialog to paste only the conditional formats, just as is the case
when pasting values only, formulas only, comments only, etecetera.  Might
also be nice to have the ability to select the desired conditional format
rule(s) and then paste it/them into a group of cells.

Thanks,

Richard
*********************

> HTH
> Martin
>

> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I can't find anything in help about copying conditional formats to other
>>cells - very frustrated.  Help infers that the Format Painter can be used,
>>but that copies all formatting (color, lines, etcetera).  How do we just
>>copy the conditional format and none of the other formatting attributes?
>>Why can't we simply apply one of the existing conditional formatting rules
>>from the conditional format menu?

0
mailrichard (109)

Copying values from a previous record to a current form
I have created a form that updates a table with bound edit box controls. The nature of our data is that for a given field in the table there may be a long sequence of repeat values from record-to-record, so, my form needs to populate the current bound edit box witha "default" value derrived from the field value from the previous record. In pseudocode I imagine something like: MyForm.MyEditBox = MyTable.Field1[CurrentRecord-1] If "CurrentRecord" was a pointer to the current record in the table being edited by the form, then the results of the expression right of th...

Looking for Datmax label format
Hi. Has anyone had success printing price labels with a Datamax printer? I have tried using the RMS Label Designer, but have not had much success. I'm able to query data and send it to the Bar Tender program via access, but that is very labor-intensive. Anyone have a working template I could look at? Failing that, any advice on how to develop my own template or find another way to print labels directly from RMS would be appreciated. I'm using a Datamax E-4203. Thanks Since no one answered my post, taking the bull by the horns, I opened up the label designer. Since I need priceta...

auto copy and paste to another workbook by using specific titles
I am trying to get information from a row that contains a specific title to be transferred to another workbook automatically. I also need to know how to do this with the cells not matching up. Hello: Your question is vague. If you mean that when someone opens the spreadsheet, the contents of a row with a certain title is copied to another spreadsheet, then you can use the Auto_Open() event to search for the row, open the target spreadsheet, insert it, and then close the spreadsheet, saving the contents. Again, I may not be addressing your question, but again, it very gener...

Font format of rich edit ctrl in dialogs, Help!
Hi, I have used a lot of rich edit ctrl in my dialogs (I am sorry that I haven't use edit ctrl instead) and I found one problem now. The text displayed initially in the ctrl (set by DoDataExchange()) has different font format with the text which users type in later. Any experienced people can tell me the functions to make these two font same? Otherwise I think I will have to change about 100 rich edit ctrl to edit ctrl besides a lot of codes. Thank you a lot. -- Best regards, Kelvin ...

Exported data from Access won't format
I have used the Text to Column feature, but the date column that I have imported into Excel is still in a funky text format. Will not allow me to change it. Any idea? inserting a column next to the date and multipling by one then formatting as date may work if not try the following macro - select the date cells and run the macro. if none of these work give me an example of the date format ou have as you can usually alter the macro to get excel to pick up dates properly Sub FixCells() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Selection cell.Value = cell.Value Next cell End Su...

Cannot Copy and Paste Table within Word 2007
When I try to paste a selected and copied table from and to a different location in the same Word document, the table layout disappears, leaving only the text contents in the desired location. I followed the procedure in the online Help, which follows: In Print Layout view , rest the pointer on the table until the table move handle appears. Click the table move handle to select the table. Do one of the following: To copy the table, press CTRL+C. To cut the table, press CTRL+X. Place the insertion point where you want the new table. Press CTRL+V to paste the table in the new lo...

Formatting a column
Hey all. I am creating a report from a queury I built and for some reason it won't let me format one of the columns. There is nothing in the drop down box under Format. Here is the expression: Expr3: IIf([Expr2]/[SLA]=0," ",[Expr2]/[SLA]) It reflects the correct number, but I want to reflect it as a percent. For some reason the 'IIf' statement is not formatable? Is that correct? Any ideas? Love Buzz wrote: >Hey all. > >I am creating a report from a queury I built and for some reason it won't >let me format one of the columns. There is nothin...

Conditional Formatting according to the date the data is entered
I'll do my best to explain my question, please let me know if more information is needed. I have a "calendar" of sorts that is in Excel format. It lists several events, dates that the events will take place, and other pertinent information. I have been asked to format the calendar in such a way that when I enter in a new event, it will be in red text for 30 days, and then convert to "normal" or black text after being in the spreadsheet for 31 days. Is there a way to set this up with Conditional Formatting? Everything I have found relates to the date ac...

copying a conditional format gives the whole range
I wish to have many rows with a conditional format between two adjacent cells, i.e. A1 & B1, A2 & B2 ( column B has the conditional format depending on the value of column A ). I can copy the condition ( using format painter ) and paste to B2. I can paste to B3, B4 etc. However if I want to paste several cells at once, the relative value in each cell in column B changes to an absolute value of the whole range of data, ie. $B$2:$B$4. The reference for column A does not change, so each cell in column B from B2 onwards has the whole range and conditional on the one cell ( A2 ). I&#...

Copy drawing question
Greetings, In my work, I find it necessary to make a copy of an entire drawing, then make a few changes and end up with two or more cases. I do this copy by inserting a new page, selecting all on the original drawing, grouping them, and then copying and pasting them onto the new page. Some of the starting drawings were created by others. In many cases, the copy ends up with the Visio tags vs. the names assigned in the original. Renaming takes a long time. Is there a way, maybe VB programming, that would copy the drawing with the same names? I guess in you were programming the copy you...

Object conditions in workflows
Here is what I am trying to accomplish: I am creating a workflow such that, at the creation of an opportunity, MS CRM will send an email to the potential customer. The template to be utilized depends on certain conditions on the primary contact of the opportunity's potential customer (account). My problem: Though the workflow manager is offering contact conditions in opportunity rules, it does not seem to 'read' any contact at all - conditions are never met. Could anyone help me on this? ...

Protect Rows for Certain Conditions in Two Columns
Hello All Experts, I am using Office 2003 and have the following problem: File name : AMC2005 Sheet Name : Combined Current Range in Use A1:AB500 (and increasing day by day) The sheet is designed having Headings in Row 1 My problem is that I wish to make to freeze the Row when certain entries is made in two particular columns (viz A and B) If the Value typed in Column A is 'Expired' AND Column B is typed either (Paid, Invoice, or Check) then that entire row should be protected (i.e. un-editable) At present there is data in the current range A1:AB500 but when I fill both Column A ...

Preserving date format
Does anyone know how I can preserve my date format (dd/mm/yy) when doing a mail merge from Excel to Word? I would like to show either dd/mm/yy or 10 February 2010, but it keeps being switched round to American format (mm/dd/yy). Thanks! Debra Dalgleish posted this: There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill has instructions here: http://sbarnhill.mvps...

Dates Changing Automatically When Copied
Hi, The dates in a particular file, when copied to a new workbook automatically changes. e.g original date was 02 April 2006 (37347 in general format) When pasted to new book it becomes 1st April 2002 (but still its 37347 in general format) In the new book the value for 02 April 2006 is 38809 why does this happen? If you need I can email you the file for your reference. -- M Imran Buhary Hi! The file from where the date was copied is using the optional 1904 date system (Tools>Options>Calculation tab) and the file to where the date was pasted is using the default 1900 date system. ...

Formatting PIck List
Does anyone know how to color format a pick list? Maybe, if we knew what it was. -- Regards, RD -------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ------------------------------------------------------------------- <doris.esposito@usss.dhs.gov> wrote in message news:17ea701c44986$218ab400$a001280a@phx.gbl... Does anyone know how to color format a pick list? Hi RagDyer Maybe the op was talking about Excel's drop-down lists that are accessible by right-click/Pick from List or Alt+DownArrow o...

vlookup with 2 conditions?
hi- i need to return a value based on 2 conditions... i have a list of 500+ names, they all have a unique identifier (employee id) so i need to get different values/scores from tab 2 into tab 1. so, for john i'd have his score from category 1 (80%) in tab 1 C2 and his score for category 2 (20%) in D2 and son on. i did a simple v-lookup =(VLOOKUP(C$2,Tab 2!$A:$C,3,FALSE)) BUT it gives me the first score it finds that matches the category name and I need to score for each category for each employee... any ideas??? tab 1: A B C ...

Conditionally Hide Rows
Hello everyone, This is my second posting. Does anyone know a VBA script to conditionally hide selected rows if they equal zero or are left blank? Please help. Use a formula on the worksheet to provide a null value or an "X" and then filter on that column. Data, Filter You could use advanced filter and include the formula. More information on Filters: http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/...

Summing sets of numbers but with special conditions
Hi - I need a formula to do the following. I have 2 columns of six numbers - for example: A B 1 75 70 2 83 69 3 80 72 4 84 67 5 95 83 6 93 80 The formula needs to do the following: 1. Find the lowest number in column A (75 in row 1 in the above example) 2. Discard the number in corresponding cell in column B (70 in cell B1) 3. From the remaining numbers in column B, discard the highest (83 in cell B5) 4. Add together the remaining 4 numbers in column B (69, 72, 67, 80) and add this result to the number found in step 1 (75) to give a total (363) Any ideas/pointers most w...

Excel VB-Copy formula down until adjacent cell (left) is blank?
Here is exactly what I am trying to do through VB in Excel: Weekly data pull fills colums A:G. Row count is always different. I am modifying the data pull through VB, and I have a VLOOKUP formula in cell H2. What I want VB to do is copy that formula down column H to the last row (with data) each week. I guess I want it to be dynamic so that as rows decrease/increase the formula is only copied down to the final row/record. I know someone out of this smart group will know how to do this! Thanks in advance! Tony (pseudo code) in a macro .... dim lngLastrow as long dim rngTarget...

There is no change to Print (from web format) in my file menu.
I am attempting to change a file from web format to print document format. Your help response is to click on "change to print" in the file menu. This option is not in my file menu. Can you help? ...

Excel 2002 Condition Formating
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C553DC.F7A23340 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am having a problem with conditional formating. I need to change the color of the numeric value to "red" if it is not = equal to 490 or 500 or 510 or 520. Have tried various methods but not = successful. All numbers in "each" cell turn red whether they are equal = to the above values or not. Have referenced many excel websites for example/tutorial. I need more than 3 conditions t...

Format a worksheet to carry out all calculations to 2 decimal plac
Hi, Is it possible to format am excel worksheet or whole workbook to carrry out all calculations to 2 decimal places (ie. rounding up and down)? The problem I have is that I use Excel to track expenses tha are also enetered in an accounting package and get rounding errors as excel doesn't round calulations up or down while the acounts package does. I can get excel to display to two decima places and round an individual value to 2 places, but don't know how to get teh whole worksheet to calculate to 2 decimal places. Thanks, Phill. See one answer at your other post. In arti...

What is the basic format of a Access VBA module
Hello, I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question is asked before. Anyway, I came across somewhere that I have read before that before I exit an Access VBA module, I am supposed to clear the database or do something to free the database is it? May I know how it is done and why should I be doing that? Thanks! <azhu.uwaterloo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177681396.512608.194140@b40g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question > is asked before. > Anyway, I came across somewhere...

Contact Email Addresses & IMCEAEX format?
Greetings, We've recently renamed many email addresses on our exchange server. Now, contacts created off the old email addresses need to be updated. Using ADO to get a CDO.Person object in VB.Net, I can see the Person.Email1 field. It currently has the following value: (I hope this will post the formatting correctly) "me@here.com" <IMCEAEX-_o=STUFF1_ou=STUFF2_cn=Recipients_cn=me@newhere.com> I want it to have the following value: "me@newhere.com" <IMCEAEX-_o=STUFF1_ou=STUFF2_cn=Recipients_cn=me@newhere.com> Unfortunately, it won't save that value. ...

Conditional links
I am trying to creat a shipping list from a set of 10 worksheets. Ther are several cells that need to be linked to the shipping list only i "x" is indicated in a particular cell in that column. I am able to ge the cell I want to link by using the following formula =IF(Sheet1!S10="X",Sheet1!E10," ") How can I list only the lines with "x"? I do not want to link only 1 line at a time. I want it to check th first line. If there is no "x" then check the next line until it find an x and then link it. Thanks in advance Cand -- CNA4 -------...