copy an intial cells contents into the next series of blank cells in a column

When doing a pivot table, the data in a column might have the initial
cell inditifer, such as a date and the remaining cells if they have
the same date will be blank. I know there is a process that you can
highlight the cells in a range and have copied the initial cell into
the next suceeding blank cells, I just don't remember the sequence of
steps to get there. can anybod help?
0
ST.JDaich (13)
8/24/2009 9:11:55 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the column with data.

F5>Special>Blanks>OK

Type an  =  sign in active blank cell.

Arrow or point to cell above.

CTRL + Enter to fill all blanks with value from above.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:11:55 -0700 (PDT), freeriderxlt <st.jdaich@gmail.com>
wrote:

>When doing a pivot table, the data in a column might have the initial
>cell inditifer, such as a date and the remaining cells if they have
>the same date will be blank. I know there is a process that you can
>highlight the cells in a range and have copied the initial cell into
>the next suceeding blank cells, I just don't remember the sequence of
>steps to get there. can anybod help?

0
Gord
8/24/2009 10:10:24 PM
There is also a very usefull macro here:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-fill-blank-cells.htm

0
klemen25 (61)

Reply emails are blank?
We are using Exchange 2003 SP1, not sure what version the other party is using but it is some version of Exchange. Problem: the remote user sends one of my users an email. My user replies to it, but when the remote user receives it the message body is blank. My user can send a new email message (not replying to one) to the remote user and everything comes over fine. The remote user is using email stationary. I have had her change her email format to plain text, but it still sends as HTML. Does stationary force HTML? I haven't had a chance to have her stop using the stationary...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

Preserving Cell Formats in Excel Query
I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't carry through to the query results. Is there a way to carry original formatting through to Excel Query results Any insight would be appreciated Karen S No, you can import the data, but not the formats. If you're importing programmatically, you could apply the formatting as part of the import procedure. Karen S wrote: > I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't car...

Format cells with dates
Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is changed. for example, when I input monday's date, tue, wed, thur, etc will follow suit. Pat, Assuming the first date is in A1 B1: =A1+1 C1: =B 1+1 etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Pat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:115681B0-348E-447E-BB1F-F8347CFDB19B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to format cells so that dates would change when the lead date is...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Match formula to match values in multiple columns
Hi all, does any friend know that how can I make below formula work MATCH(A2,$K$2:$M$30,0) I am not sure I have understood correectly. Please go through the below example With data as below if you need to retrive the name of the 1st Rank holder from London. D2 = 1 D3 = London In D4 apply the below formula =INDEX($B$2:$B$9,MATCH(1,($A$2:$A$9=D2)*($C$2:$C$9=D3),0)) Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar'...

How to goto cell containing specific date
Thought I asked this before, but can't find the thread w/ my question or any replies... I have a worksheet wih a full year's dates in the cells running down a colum, with other data for each date in the the adjacent columns; Instead of scrolling up & down to a cell with a specific date I'm looking for, is there another way to goto a cell containing a specific date? (e.g., today(), or another specific date) In case this is pertinent: the date series begins with the entry of one date (e.g., 01/01/2010 in cell A1), with the dates in subsequent rows arrived at ...

creating a function for dividing two columns
I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of batting averages. I have at bats in column b, hits in column c with the results in column d. I cant get the function right so it will display the correct result. use this =SUM(C1/B1) in cell D1. Format D1 as a number with 3 decimal places. Steve Hubbard "cflan" <cflan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212BF952-55B9-45DF-BC8C-E8B670FA6010@microsoft.com... > I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of > batting averages. I have at bats in column b,...

"files based on content, not file extension" option issue
Hi, I met a strange question. When I disable "files based on content, not file extension" option in IE browser (IE -->Tools Options-->Security-->Internet zone-->Custom level --> "files based on content, not file extension" disable). When I used IE to access ftp://ftp.microsoft.com via. proxy, such as: ccproxy..etc. IE browser shows HTML source code instead of normal html webpage. Could you take a look? Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well...

How do I turn the pivot chart into a list with all cells filled?
I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields are filled Select the pivot table. Choose Edit>Copy Select the cell where you'd like to paste the copy Choose Edit>Paste Special Select Values, click OK There are instructions here for filling the blanks: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html gianna wrote: > I have the pivot chart and would like to copy and paste it so that all fields > are filled -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Moving a row from one sheet to another wrongly leaves blank-row artifact.
Moving an entire row within a sheet in Excel XP is implemented correctly: Select the entire row, cut it, go to the target location, and Insert Copied Cells. The target row is inserted (pushing all rows below it down), and the source row is deleted (bringing all rows below it up, as it were). NOT so when the target is in another sheet in the same workbook. Excel inserts the target row correctly, but fails to delete the source row. The row still exists (only it's blanked out). You have to remeber to, tediously, return to the source and delete the blank row. Which means that if you intende...

How do you copy a cell's content verses it's formula?
I have 2 cells and combined them into a third cell with the following formula... =a1&" "&b1. I was combining a person's first name (cell 1) with a person's second name (cell 2) so cell 3 included the first and second name. Now I want to copy and paste cell 3, but it copies the formula... I need to paste in the content (first and second name) not the formula. Hi Tammy, You could use a macro see JOIN macro on it's page http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm not what you actually asked because if would change column A with the concatenated const...

Conditional Cell Fill?
Hello, Is there a way to use fill colors based on formulas? Thanks, Rusty Look at conditional formatting in help -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rusty Williamson" <rusty@uno.sd.znet.com> wrote in message news:RUGlb.45764$Z86.33887@twister.socal.rr.com... > Hello, > > Is there a way to use fill colors based on formulas? > > Thanks, > Rusty > > ...

Multiple copies of E-Mail messages
I am using Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP2 with a Windows XP Professional operating system. Just in the last couple days I've started to experience a problem with incoming e-mail messages. I use Outlook to retrieve e-mail from at least four different accounts, from at least two different servers. When I receive a new e-mail message that is addressed to one of these e-mail accounts, I get two extra copies of that message, and each of these extra copies are addressed to two of my other accounts. So what I end up with is three copies with three different TO: addresses. This only happens ...

10 free copies of iPrep Microsoft 70-290 for your iPhone
iPrep Microsoft 70-290 is an iPhone app which will help you to prepare for Microsoft 70-290 certification exam "Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment". Download the app from the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iprep-microsoft-70-290/id335186475?mt=8 Use one of the following codes to get your copy for free: 9TM96E7EMNAY 6AYJTREAHM3A 94P4TJNAEHLW N636934JRPF9 3YKM9E66FF93 ENPN7PALXX9N XN6T993ANXTP TTEWEM4EEWLY 49RKEHHMMYF6 MXXA7HLLJMTM Each code can be used only once, first come first served. The codes are redeemable only ...

Formatting hyperlinks in an Excel cell 02-16-10
Two of the columns in a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) that I use record email and web addresses. All of them appear as hyperlinks i.e. blue and underlined but some occasionally seem to lose their hyperlink properties. This means that when one hovers over them, the cursor stays as the usual Excel cross rather than changing to the hand/finger symbol. Also, clicking on the former does not launch the browser. Is there any way to ensure they are formatted, and work, as hyperlinks please? TIA V ...

calculation of cells
Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of my spreadsheets are only used by me. Any ideas out there Mark, Calculation, auto or manual, is set by the first workbook that's opened. It is that way for any other workbooks opened in that instance of excel. Look for a workbook you might have opened first that's been set to Manual and saved that way. Go figure. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------...

returning vlookup values for blank cells
I have a spreadsheet that lists "soccer players" by name down the first colunm and "time in game" across the top and the position they play in array. I then use vlookup for another spreedsheet by "position" down the first column, time across the top and puts the players name into the positions. All this works fine. Since there are 5 more kids than positions, the orginal spreedsheet has blanks when the kids are out of the game. How do I use vlookup or other to extract the 5 sub'd out kids at the bottom of the 2nd spreadsheet? It only returns the nam...

Skip blank cells in diagrams
How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0' but just to skip the cell. You can include the function NA() in that field and the zero value for the data won't be displayed. "hlp" <hlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FF83D9F-F13E-4815-BDDE-26F44F2E6BE1@microsoft.com... > How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among > these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Printing a worksheet in two (or more) columns
Hi, I've got an extremely long spreadsheet table comprising two columns of data. I'd like to print these data in a more compact form - in the same way that the entries are organised in a telephone directory. Say on average my page is 50 rows high - my first two columns on page 1 would appear on the left hand side and be rows 1 through 50, row 51 would continue at the top of the page, but on the right-hand side. Row 101 would appear at the top left hand side of page 2, etc. I'd like to keep the orientation of the columns in portrait (I did find a printer-associ...

how can i relate between two columns in two sheets?
Question no too clear - you can use this space to give a detailed question. But here goes: On Sheet1 I can type formulas such as =Sheet2!A1 =SUM(Sheet2!A:A10) If I type = and then click on the cell A1 of a worksheet called My Yearly Totals, I will get the formula ='My Yearly Totals'!A1 Note that a sheet name having spaces get surrounded by single quotes. Does this answer your question? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters REMEMBER: Microsoft is closing the newsgroups; We will all me...

How do you copy contacts into an email?
Hello all. Outlook 2000 with all necessary service packs and updates. I want to be able to copy a list of 30 contacts into the body of an email. I have to send emails every now and then with the names of these individuals listed in the body of the email. I already know how to export contacts into an excel spreadsheet. However, Outlook 2k does not give you the choice to export into Word. When I export into excel and I copy more than one name at a time they show up in the email with the gridlines wrapped around the names from the excel spreadsheet. I have removed the gridlines from the...

Place X in cell if criteria met`
Is there a formula to do this? If cell B2 = pencils Put an "X" in cell B7 If cell B2 = pens Put an "X" in cell B8 If cell B2 = erasers Put an "X" in cell B9 Thanks in advance in cells B7 put =if(B2="pencils","x","") in Cell B8 put =if(B2="pens","x","") In cell B9 put =if(B2="erasers","x","") "jhicsupt" wrote: > Is there a formula to do this? > > If cell B2 = pencils > Put an "X" in cell B7 > > If cell B2 = pens ...