Copy a formula formatted as Text In Excel

I have a UDF that returns the formula of a given cell in a text
format.  Is there anyway to have excel recognize that the result of
the function is a formula and not text.

Once I click on the cell, hit F2 to edit it and then enter, Excel
realizes it's a formula and then calculates the value,

0
tim879 (14)
9/6/2007 5:21:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Nope.

The formula in the cell is going to be the UDF--not the what formula string
looks like.

You could add some more steps.
Select the range (if more than one cell)
Convert to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values)
and finally
edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: =
replace all

And excel will see them as formulas.

But I'm not sure why that would be better than just using a simple formula that
returns the value of the cell with the original formula.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I am doing a monthly reconciliation whereby I add up multiple values
in 2 columns (debits and credits) in a separate spreadsheet. For
example, cell a2 (the debits) would equal "=123+345" and b2 (the
credits) would equal "=567+789" when I'm done with the rec. Once I
verify that the rec. works, I then go back to my rec and copy the
values of a2 and b2 into 1 formula on my reconciliation. so the
corresponding cell on my rec would equal =(123+345)-(567+789). I know
there are better ways to do this but most would require me re-writing
the spreadsheet and since there are other people that use this file -
this appears to be the path of least resistance.

Either way... .here's my solution:
Sub CombineFormulas()
'Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    If Selection.Columns.Count <> 1 Then
        MsgBox "Macro only works if you select 1 column. Please select
1 column and re-run macro", vbCritical
        Exit Sub
    End If

    For Each Cell In Selection
        Formula1 =
WorksheetFunction.Substitute(WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Cell.Formula,
"'", ""), "=", "")
        Formula2 =
WorksheetFunction.Substitute(WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Cell.Offset(0,
1).Formula, "'", ""), "=", "")

        Cell2 = Cell.Offset(0, 2).Select

        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=(" & Formula1 & ")-(" & Formula2 &
")"

    Next

End Sub

On Sep 6, 1:32 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Nope.
>
> The formula in the cell is going to be the UDF--not the what formula string
> looks like.
>
> You could add some more steps.
> Select the range (if more than one cell)
> Convert to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values)
> and finally
> edit|replace
> what: = (equal sign)
> with: =
> replace all
>
> And excel will see them as formulas.
>
> But I'm not sure why that would be better than just using a simple formula that
> returns the value of the cell with the original formula.
>
> Tim879 wrote:
>
> > I have a UDF that returns the formula of a given cell in a text
> > format.  Is there anyway to have excel recognize that the result of
> > the function is a formula and not text.
>
> > Once I click on the cell, hit F2 to edit it and then enter, Excel
> > realizes it's a formula and then calculates the value,
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
tim879 (14)

data input in text box

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

copy my vb project... is it as easy as copying the directory..
Hi, I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original.. is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this.. thanks "AussieRules" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uzrSvxp6KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the > i...

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

formula based on format

How do I use traffic lights in excel

This formula doesn't work: = day(today())
This formula doesn't work: = day(today()) Except from spreading one formula into 2, is it possible to make it workable in 1 formula? If so, how? -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP ���H����O�D�`����. �p��������B, ���Ѫ̤��[�祿!! My ability is very limited. Hope you will not mind to enlighten me if I do wrongly. What doesn't work? For today (7 May 2004) =DAY(TODAY()) returns 7. In article <eYuAXhDNEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote: > This formula doesn't work: = day...

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Excel Problem