Converting Values to Unicode Characters

The function CHAR converts a value in the range 1-255 to to an ANSI
character.  Is there a way to convert values in the range 1-65,342 to
Unicode characters?

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

You can use VLOOKUP but you'll have to create your own lookup table of
the unicode characters and I think you'll have to paste it onto the
same spreadsheet....  Maybe you can find a lookup table on the
internet somewhere that you can easily paste into your spreadsheet.
0
tsides (114)
5/4/2004 6:58:27 PM
tsides <tsides@intelligentsystemsconsulting.com> wrote:
> You can use VLOOKUP but you'll have to create your own lookup table of
> the unicode characters and I think you'll have to paste it onto the
> same spreadsheet....  Maybe you can find a lookup table on the
> internet somewhere that you can easily paste into your spreadsheet.

Unfortunately, that solution works only if you already have the characters
available.  What I need for the general case is something that convert a
numeric value to a character.  This becomes especially critical as the
number of defined Unicode characters is now too large to fit into a single
row.  I only need about 16,000 at the moment, but I like to paln ahead
wherever possible.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio
0
bitbucket (37)
5/5/2004 5:24:05 AM
Hi Gary,
I think you would need to get to the code tables for the
translation table (the font Codepage) that you need.

I don't know if a table of unicode characters would be of
any value to you but here is a method to generate the
HTML to create such a table.

Method to Generate a Table of UNICODE characters

  A1:  '--   B1:  0   C1:  1  D1: 2  E1:  3   ...  U1: 19
  A2: 20
  B2: ="&#" & TEXT(B$2,"0000") & ";"

propagate  B2 across to U2   with the fill handle
propagate  row 1  down through row 8360 or further

&#8364;   is the Euro

Then using a dumb conversion from Excel to HTML that
does not know anything about HTML
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm

You can generate at Table that looks like
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/unicode.htm
which if you want you can copy and paste special back to Excel.
I only went a bit beyond 8360  for the above example will
also generate another to go to your 16000 characters.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/unicode_16000.htm

Related information in
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/symbols.htm

If you have to go to another newsgroup or get additional
information from somewhere else, please let us know
additional information (feedback) so that everyone can
be informed as well.
  ---
HTH,

"Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, that solution [VLOOKUP table] works only if you already
> have the characters
> available.  What I need for the general case is something that convert a
> numeric value to a character.  This becomes especially critical as the
> number of defined Unicode characters is now too large to fit into a single
> row.  I only need about 16,000 at the moment, but I like to paln ahead
> wherever possible.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/5/2004 10:50:24 AM
Hi Gary,       Unicode Table in HTML
The following table  through unicode 8379 is a 165KB HTML file
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/unicode.htm

You requested through 16000 the following would be 313 KB
 but I think that is a bit much to put out to my site for this purpose
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/unicode_16000.htm

So instead you will find it as a zipped file  46KB
      http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/unicode_16000.zip
I don't see anything beyond 9340 but you asked for 16000.

If you do not have a program to unzip you can get UltimateZip

UltimateZip - Download, reportedly better than WinZip.
UltimateZip is free unlike Winzip.  Can unzip to new folder same
name, same folder, or anywhere else.  Can look at files without
permanently unzipping.   i.e. click on 16000.zip above, Open
  http://www.ultimatezip.com/
  http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm
---
HTH,

dmcritchie (2586)
5/5/2004 11:41:46 AM
Thanks for the response.  I don't get what you're trying to do with the
entries below. ="&#" & TEXT(B$2,"0000") & ";" generates a circular
reference when entered in B2.  Sadly, I didn't move quickly enough.  The
folder http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/ is empty now.

I solved my immediate problem by creating a Unicode data file on another
system (OS/390 using HLASM) and transferrinf it as a binary file via FTP.
With a bit of fiddling I was able to import it into Excel as a text file
and then copy the column I needed to the intended target.  I'm still
interested in a more general method, though.  Excel *should* have a
built-in UCHAR function.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio
0
bitbucket (37)
5/8/2004 4:18:09 AM
Hi Gary,      (posted to public.excel with email copy)
Very sorry about leaving out the   /htm/  directory.
Here are the corrections  in creating a Unicode
table of characters (first 256 characters depend on
font codepage in effect).

 You can generate a Table that looks like
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/Unicode.htm
  which if you want you can copy and paste special back to Excel.
  I only went a bit beyond 8360  for the above example will
  also generate another to go to your 16000 characters.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/unicode_16000.htm
  Related information in
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fontss.htm

formulas:
B1:    0     C1:  1     ...thru....  U1:  19
A2:  20
B2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+B$1,"0000")&";"
C2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+C$1,"0000")&";"
U2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+U$1,"0000")&";"
---
A1:E5 range appears as:
  0             1            2            3             4
20 &#0020; &#0021; &#0022; &#0023;
40 &#0040; &#0041; &#0042; &#0043;
60 &#0060; &#0061; &#0062; &#0063;
80 &#0080; &#0081; &#0082; &#0083;

HTH,

"Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> /orig post has email addr/ wrote ...
> Thanks for the response.  I don't get what you're trying to do with the
> entries below. ="&#" & TEXT(B$2,"0000") & ";" generates a circular
> reference when entered in B2.  Sadly, I didn't move quickly enough.  The
> folder http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/ is empty now.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/8/2004 3:06:19 PM
Thanks, that's helped quite a bit.  Using a mnor variation on your
technique I was able to generate the characters I need without taking the
data to another system and back.

David McRitchie <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote:
> Hi Gary,      (posted to public.excel with email copy)
> Very sorry about leaving out the   /htm/  directory.
> Here are the corrections  in creating a Unicode
> table of characters (first 256 characters depend on
> font codepage in effect).

> You can generate a Table that looks like
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/Unicode.htm
>  which if you want you can copy and paste special back to Excel.
>  I only went a bit beyond 8360  for the above example will
>  also generate another to go to your 16000 characters.
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/unicode_16000.htm
>  Related information in
>     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm
>     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fontss.htm

> formulas:
> B1:    0     C1:  1     ...thru....  U1:  19
> A2:  20
> B2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+B$1,"0000")&";"
> C2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+C$1,"0000")&";"
> U2:  ="&#" & TEXT($A2+U$1,"0000")&";"
> ---
> A1:E5 range appears as:
>  0             1            2            3             4
> 20 &#0020; &#0021; &#0022; &#0023;
> 40 &#0040; &#0041; &#0042; &#0043;
> 60 &#0060; &#0061; &#0062; &#0063;
> 80 &#0080; &#0081; &#0082; &#0083;

> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]

> "Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> /orig post has email addr/ wrote ...
>> Thanks for the response.  I don't get what you're trying to do with the
>> entries below. ="&#" & TEXT(B$2,"0000") & ";" generates a circular
>> reference when entered in B2.  Sadly, I didn't move quickly enough.  The
>> folder http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/ is empty now.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio
0
bitbucket (37)
5/11/2004 5:06:05 AM
You're welcome,   the variation that you mention is
that something that would be better for the rest of us.
---

"Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> wrote  l...
> Thanks, that's helped quite a bit.  Using a mnor variation on your
> technique I was able to generate the characters I need without taking the
> data to another system and back.
>
> David McRitchie <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote:
 > > Here are the corrections  in creating a Unicode
> > table of characters (first 256 characters depend on
> > font codepage in effect).

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/11/2004 6:09:35 AM
David McRitchie <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote:
> You're welcome,   the variation that you mention is
> that something that would be better for the rest of us.

For my actual application, I had a list of codes (15,738 of them) for
which I needed the corresponding characters.  My initial sheet had a
related code in column A, the character code in hexadecimal in column B,
and a description in column C.  A short sample:

  A      B               C
212321	3000	CJK space per ANSI Z39.64
212328	FF08	Ideographic left parenthesis
212329	FF09	Ideographic right parenthesis
21232D	FF0D	Ideographic hyphen minus
212A46	3013	Ideographic geta symbol

I could have converted the hex values to their decimal equivalents, but
nummeric character references work just fine in hex.  I inserted two
helper columns between B and C and entered a variation on your formula in
the new C1: ="&#x" & B1 & ";"

Copying C1 down the column gave me:

  A      B         C
212321	3000	&#x3000;
212328	FF08	&#xFF08;
212329	FF09	&#xFF09;
21232D	FF0D	&#xFF0D;
212A46	3013	&#x3013;

I then used your terrific XL2HTML macro to export column C as an HTML
file. (This takes a while with such a large file.)  Having had experience
with copying and pasting from HTML files before, I knew that the simpler
the content and the nearer the layout was to the intended result, the
easier it would be.  Once the HTML file had been created, it was a simple
matter of copying the entire column and pasting it back into column D
using Edit > Paste special > Unicode text.

This isn't as nice as having a function that could be used in a formula
but it gets the job done.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio
0
bitbucket (37)
5/12/2004 4:42:40 AM
HI Gary,

This should make it possible to everything in Excel.

Excel coding, Although there is no CharW Worksheet Function, a UDF can
be created and can be used on the worksheet much like usage in HTML.

Function CharW(dec As Long) As String
  CharW = ChrW(dec)
End Function

 =personal.xls!CharW(9835)

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
 ' &#9835; -- Beamed Eighth Notes, Is available on my system
 ' &#9835; (no Escape character) &#x266B;   Ok in Excel and HTML
   [a2] = ChrW(9835)
   [b2] = ChrW(Val("&H266B"))
   [c2] = ChrW(CDbl("&H266B"))
   [d2] = "=pesonal.xls!CharW(9835)"
End Sub

    http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2295/
    http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/266B/

    http://evolt.org/article/ala/17/21234/

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/unicode.htm

I was looking in a book for some of the names, but if I'll add the
url  for the spelled out names if that's what you used to start with
to my  unicode.htm   pages..
---
HTH,

"Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> wrote ......

> For my actual application, I had a list of codes (15,738 of them) for
> which I needed the corresponding characters.  My initial sheet had a
> related code in column A, the character code in hexadecimal in column B,
> and a description in column C.  A short sample:
>
> I inserted two > helper columns between B and C and entered a variation
> on your formula in   the new C1: ="&#x" & B1 & ";"
>
> Copying C1 down the column gave me:
>
>   A      B         C
> 212321 3000 &#x3000;
> 212328 FF08 &#xFF08;
> 212329 FF09 &#xFF09;
> 21232D FF0D &#xFF0D;
> 212A46 3013 &#x3013;

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/12/2004 9:07:45 AM
That looks like it could be very useful.  I'll give it a try at the first
oportunity.  Thanks for al your help.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio
0
bitbucket (37)

Counting a single value in a cell?
I want to count how often a single value (the dash symbol) occurs in a single cell than rank it. Showing two examples, AUS-IAH/PTY-IAH/AUS is in cell A1 and AUS-ORD-LHR/WAW-LHR-ORD/AUS is cell A2. Cell A1 has 2 dashes and A2 has 4 dashes. Is there a way to do this? Thank you. =LEN(B10)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B10,"-","")) for data in B10 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200789 "Greg" wrote: > I want to count how often a single value (the dash symbol) occurs in a > single cell than rank it. Showing two examples, AUS-IAH/PTY-IAH/AUS is in > cell A...

Pull value from another sheet
I have multiple sheets in my workbook. On the first sheet, I am pulling data from all the other sheets for a comparison. I need to pull in a commission level for specific group numbers. Here is what I need: Sheet 1 K3 is where my formula is. I need to match the value from sheet 1 B3 to sheet 2 I4. Then, if they match, I want the value from sheet 2 N4 to show up in sheet 1 K3. Another issue may be that on sheet two there may be multiple group numbers that are the same, however all commission levels for a group number are the same. So I guess I could go average or median if tha...

Converting Access 2000 table to Access 97
How do you link an Access 2000 table to an Access 97 database? Thanks for your time. ...

Issue importing pick list values using Import Wizard
-- Paul Croubalian VAR Sales - North America PARTpoint Inc ...

Excell Value Pack
Every time I try to load the Excell Add-ins from the Value Pack Installer, I get an error message that says "access denied." Does anyone know what to do? Larry Simonsen ...

creating data for values between 2 numbers
This is something that I have been trying to do for a long time and sort of gave up on it... but since the issue came up again, I’m going to try to ask for help again. I issue out forms, all with sequential numbers on them, to customers. These forms have lots of data on them like Name, License plate number, destination, ext. Right now with my current database, if I issue 1000 forms to the same person, and they are using the same vehicle, I have put all the data in the 1st form, save it, carry it over, and then change the number and save it again... and do this 1000 times unt...

Missing values for Modified_By in CustomerAddressBase?
Is it by design, a bug, or a config option that the CRM s/w does not populate certain fields in the rows of "children" tables? For example, why don't I ever see any values in the Created_By or Modified_By column in CustomerAddressBase, which is foreign-keyed back to (or "hangs off of") AccountBase? Thanks in advance for any help or advice. The Created_By or Modified_By does get updated everytime a record is entered into the corresponding table, in this case it will be a Account or Contact's Address under "More Address". If these values doesn't...

display var value
Hi, i want to display a value of a variabile, type into a textbox. for example num=1234 varx=763 if i type in textbox "num" i want to dispay 1234 if i type in textbox "varx" i want to display 763 who can i help???? On 26 mei, 11:57, Clax <claxc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > i want to display a value of a variabile, type into a textbox. > > for example > > num=1234 > varx=763 > > if i type in textbox "num" i want to dispay 1234 > > if i type in textbox "varx" i want to display 763...

MultiByte Characters?
Greetings, Does anyone know, when converting strings between Unicode and MultiByte, when exactly the Unicode string will not be exactly twice the number of bytes of the MultiByte string? This has been the case in all my tests and I just wondered when it is not the case. I'm writing some routines that convert between the two but it's not clear to me how big my Unicode buffer will need to be in order to hold the Unicode version of a MultiByte string. (I realize the MultiByteToWideChar routine will tell me this information, but in this case the buffer is passed from the caller and so my...

Programmatically convert lead to account
Hi, How do I programmatically convert a lead to an account? Thanks! In the SDK search on SetStateLead. This will at least allow you to set the state to qualified however I do not think it will create an account and contact so you will need to write code to create these records from your lead data. You can then use these classes to relate your lead to a contact and account TargetRelatedLeadToAccount TargetRelatedLeadToContact ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Jeff Foster" <JeffFoster@discussions.mic...

Wrong Values
Hi, Cell G23 in sheet "Cert_End" has the formula: =IF(VLOOKUP($A$3,Table!$B$14:$BD$93,ROW(A4)*3+3,FALSE)<>"",(VLOOKUP($A$3,Table!$B$14:$BD$93,ROW(A4)*3+3,FALSE)),"") It will look up the number from sheet "table" that corresponds with the value in cell A3 in sheet . At the cell H23, I have the formula: =GetTen(G23) where GetTen is a function that converts number into words: (98 in cell G23 will have Ninety Eight in cell H23). My problem is that I see the value "Ninty five" instead of "ninty eight". For some cells it works f...

find maximum value in range of fields
Hello Could someone advise/assist with the following: I have fields like the following: Badge Date 1 Badge Date 2 Badge Date 3 etc... to Badge Date 7 What I would like to have happen is when a new badge date is entered the badge dates would cascade -- dropping the oldest date and cascading badge dates -- ( i.e. Badge Date 1 would be the newly entered date - Badge Date 2 would be the date previously in Badge Date 1 - previously in Date 2 goes to Date 3, etc...) OR The ability to pull the maximum ( most current date) from the Badge Date fields. Basically I want to keep the last 7 dates fo...

Display a list of unique values from a column with multiple instances
Hi- I have a list in a column (column A) that has many duplicate values. I am looking to create a list of the unique values from column A into another column (column F). I just want to display the values from col A into col F without deleting any values from col A. From there I am planning on doing a countif based on the value in col F to see how many duplicates I have. I want to do this dynamically because anyone can add a new value in col A but I don't want to have to manually compare unique values in col A against col F to do the counts. Col A contains ID numbers that can be repeat...

Converting irregular Word table to spreadsheet
I am using Office Professional Edition 2003 I want to convert a list of members of a club and their contact details into a spreadsheet database. The form of each record in Word is: membership type (in upper case), name, address, phone number (if any), fax (if any), email (if any), for example ACTIVE Bill Gates Office in the Sky 25 The Long Road The Big City State, Code COUNTRY Phone: 123 4567 8910 Fax: 123 4567 8910 Email: bill@heaven.org Each line in each record terminates with a line break, and each record terminates with a paragraph mark. The ...

How to Create statistical Characters

Convert Access 2000 to Access 97 06-22-04
I needed to convert an Access 2000 db to 97. The Converted database will run on Windows 98 but on Windows 2000 I get an error when I run some of the select queries (the select query is pulling from other queries, not tables). The error is "MSAccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." This is a pretty generic error and I can't seem to find anything helpful. Has anyone run into a similar problem? My main Access program, supplied in runtime 97 & 2k, does not run in A97 on Win2k or WinXP for the reason you s...

distributing each characters on a cell
how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells? example: A1=HELP then get each character B1=H C1=E D1=L E1=P Here's one way : B1=MID($A25,COLUMN()-1,1) and copy across. NickHK "jjuan" <jp4the_clan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eSXqv%23$9GHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells? > example: > > A1=HELP > > then get each character > > B1=H > C1=E > D1=L > E1=P > > thanks a lot!!!! "NickHK" <TungCheWah@Invalid.com> wrote in message news:u4GAgBA...

Lotus 123 import to Excel loses 2 text characters
Everytime I attempt to import or open a Lotus 1-2-3 file in Excel (2004 Mac), it chops the last two characters off of every cell that is interpreted as text. Ie. Jan becomes 'J', Feb becomes 'F', and numbers stored as text lose the last two digits as well. I need to convert/update a great deal of files, and cannot lose this information, please help. In Lotus can you save it as Excel, csv or xml file? "mackie99" wrote: > Everytime I attempt to import or open a Lotus 1-2-3 file in Excel (2004 Mac), > it chops the last two characters off of every cell tha...

550 NDR: NUL characters are not allowed
Im receiving an NDR #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: NUL characters are not allowed.> when bouncing messages to an msx 2000 box from a msx 2003 box from within the same organisation but in different routing groups. I can receive messages from the msx 2000 box and I can also send to and receive from external email addresses. Im having dreams about this one so any help would be appreciated! terrytowling@hotmail.com.au (Terry) wrote in message news:<e6wzKB4bEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>... > Im receiving an NDR #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: NUL > charac...

Convert Time #2
Small Problem Working a on project with units and time 1 unit = 5 minutes I have a spread shee set up like this Units Taken Standard Time Duration Time Converted 15 5 75 1:15 My problem is the Time Converted column 75 minutes = 1 and 15 minutes (1:15) I want formula that converts the 75 into 1:15 Duration in Minutes Minutes Converted Into Hours 60 1:00 75 1:15 91 1:31 115 1:55 ...

How to convert any number in text or word in excel?
Convert how? Into another number? Search and replace? What version of Excel? More details in the body of your message might give people a better clue of what you're trying to do. -- Susan Ramlet **please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit** "formula" <formula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3975AD18-7608-45C8-A36C-8A382853CC60@microsoft.com... > ...

Showing value of other table
With a combobox it's easy to invisibly hold an ID_number and actually show the corresponding 'real' value that is stored in another table. In stead of in a combobox I would like this functionality in a text box but there is no rowsource property. Is this even possible with a textbox or should I use an invisible combobox and fill the text box with =cmbTest.column(1)? Thanks, John Consider using a Control Source of =DLookup(...). Details of DLookup are in Help. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP "Lars Brownies" <Lars@Browniew.com> ...

Extract numeric value from single cell #2
Thanks, thats grea -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26148 ...

Converting Excel 2007 Nested "If" Statement to Excel 2003: Overcom
=IF(E33<=250000,(180000*0%)+(E33-180000)*(VLOOKUP(E33,Tax_Slabs_2009,3))*VLOOKUP(E33,Marginal_Tax_2009,3),IF(E33<=350000,(250000*0.5%)+(E33-250000)*(VLOOKUP(E33,Tax_Slabs_2009,3))*VLOOKUP(E33,Marginal_Tax_2009,3),IF(E33<=400000,(350000*0.75%)+(E33-350000)*(VLOOKUP(E33,Tax_Slabs_2009,3))*VLOOKUP(E33,Marginal_Tax_2009,3),IF(E33<=450000,(400000*1.5%)+(E33-400000)*(VLOOKUP(E33,Tax_Slabs_2009,3))*VLOOKUP(E33,Marginal_Tax_2009,3),IF(E33<=550000,(450000*2.5%)+(E33-450000)*(VLOOKUP(E33,Tax_Slabs_2009,3))*VLOOKUP(E33,Marginal_Tax_2009,3),IF(E33<=650000,(550000*3.5%)+(E33-550000)*(VLOO...

how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two"
how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" Hi CQ My 2c worth, I'd set up a table containing the numbers 0 - 9, with their numeric and text values, and then use a VLOOKUP to get the Two iso 2. Iow, if you have 2 in A1, then in B1 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,List,2,FALSE) hth "CQ" wrote: > how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" What if the number is 12,575.98? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions Portland, Oregon "Kassie" <j.kasselman@ATlantic.net.removeAT> wrote in message ne...