Convert range of numbers to letter

Hello.
I hope this makes sense.
I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
I would like to convert them to letters
i.e. 90 - 100 = A
    80 - 90   = B
    70 - 80  = C
    60 - 70 = D  and so on
Is this possible?
Thank you
JB

0
badspam (6)
3/1/2006 4:51:59 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I hope this makes sense.
> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
> I would like to convert them to letters
> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>     80 - 90   = B
>     70 - 80  = C
>     60 - 70 = D  and so on
> Is this possible?
> Thank you
> JB

=IF([cell_value] >= 90, A, IF [cell_value] >= 80, B, IF [cell_value] >= 70,
C, IF [cell_value] >= 60, D, E)

Marcus

0
Marcus
3/1/2006 5:19:02 PM
"Marcus Fox" <please-reply-via-newsgroup-th@-i-posted-to.com> wrote in
message news:aIkNf.54422$494.14199@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

> "JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
> > Hello.
> > I hope this makes sense.
> > I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to
100.
> > I would like to convert them to letters
> > i.e. 90 - 100 = A
> >     80 - 90   = B
> >     70 - 80  = C
> >     60 - 70 = D  and so on
> > Is this possible?
> > Thank you
> > JB

Sorry, correction

=IF([cell_value] >= 90, "A", IF [cell_value] >= 80, "B", IF [cell_value] >=
70, "C", IF [cell_value] >= 60, "D", "E")

 Marcus

0
Marcus
3/1/2006 5:20:53 PM
=CHAR(74-MIN(INT((A2-1)/10),9))

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I hope this makes sense.
> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
> I would like to convert them to letters
> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>     80 - 90   = B
>     70 - 80  = C
>     60 - 70 = D  and so on
> Is this possible?
> Thank you
> JB

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
3/1/2006 5:29:34 PM
Put this in A1:A11:

And in B1:B11:

Now, with the value to be looked up in C1:

=MATCH(C1,A1:A11,-1)

Note that you have ambiguous definitions: 80 should be B or C?
Post again if you have problems

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I hope this makes sense.
> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
> I would like to convert them to letters
> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>    80 - 90   = B
>    70 - 80  = C
>    60 - 70 = D  and so on
> Is this possible?
> Thank you
> JB

0
nicolaus (2022)
3/1/2006 5:33:41 PM
=VLOOKUP(A1,{0,"J";10,"I";20,"H";30,"G";40,"F";50,"E";60,"D";70,"C";80,"B";9
0,"A"},2,1)

--
AP

"JB" <badspam@awyway.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Hello.
> I hope this makes sense.
> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
> I would like to convert them to letters
> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>     80 - 90   = B
>     70 - 80  = C
>     60 - 70 = D  and so on
> Is this possible?
> Thank you
> JB

0
ardus.petus (319)
3/1/2006 5:49:54 PM
Hello,

=LOOKUP(A74,{0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90},{"J","I","H","G","F","E","D","C","B","A"})

HTH,
Bernd

0
bplumhoff1 (208)
3/1/2006 6:06:35 PM
You're smarter than I am...

--
AP

<bplumhoff@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Hello,

=LOOKUP(A74,{0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90},{"J","I","H","G","F","E","D","C",
"B","A"})

> HTH,
> Bernd

0
ardus.petus (319)
3/1/2006 6:30:02 PM
Hello Ardus,

Definitely not. We all learn (at least we should, I think) ...

Have fun,
Bernd

0
bplumhoff1 (208)
3/2/2006 11:25:02 AM
Hi Thank you

>Note that you have ambiguous definitions: 80 should be B or C?

You're right! Totally forgot about that.
It would be 91 to 100 and 81 to 90 etc.
I've got to get my head around all these possibilities.
Ta

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Put this in A1:A11:
>      100
>      90
>      80
>      70
>      60
>      50
>      40
>      30
>      20
>      10
>      0
>
> And in B1:B11:
>
> Now, with the value to be looked up in C1:
>
> =MATCH(C1,A1:A11,-1)
>
> Note that you have ambiguous definitions: 80 should be B or C?
> Post again if you have problems
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> "JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>> I hope this makes sense.
>> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
>> I would like to convert them to letters
>> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>>    80 - 90   = B
>>    70 - 80  = C
>>    60 - 70 = D  and so on
>> Is this possible?
>> Thank you
>> JB

0
badspam (6)
3/2/2006 10:30:38 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions! It'll take me a while to try them all out.

"JB" <badspam@awyway.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I hope this makes sense.
> I have a spreadsheet that has columns with numbers ranging from 1 to 100.
> I would like to convert them to letters
> i.e. 90 - 100 = A
>    80 - 90   = B
>    70 - 80  = C
>    60 - 70 = D  and so on
> Is this possible?
> Thank you
> JB

0
badspam (6)

Problem converting from MSXML2 to MSXML4 in C#
I had a piece of code working fine with MSXML2 (it does an open get and then a send, returning the webpage of the url in the get) but my server is hosted by a company that uses MSXML4 - help? I added a reference to MSXML4 - I right clicked on my project name -> clicked Add Reference -> Went to Com tab ->Chose Microsoft XML v4.0 c: \windows\system32\msxml4.dll It asked if I wanted to replace MSXML2 and I said yes - I regret this as I think it has now screwed something up. I removed the using MSXML2; at the top of my C# and replaced it with using MSXML4; but when I try typing MSXML4 the...

Message numbers?
In Exchange 2003 is there a way to track simply how many email messages have been sent and recieved on a month by month status? All that is really needed is the numbers but not where the went or who sent. Of course if there are more granular ways to do this, please include. Thanks! No easy way although you could turn on journaling and do it manually, write a transport event sink to start and increment a count based on date. Nue "Transam388" <Transam388@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDDA6E49-D467-4C41-B696-FD4E0F2BCAA6@microsoft.com... > In Exchan...

Naming Ranges #4
Hi, When I name a Range on Sheet1, then make a Copy of Sheet1 to say Sheet2, then access the Define Names dialogbox, I can see the named Range listed twice. One is noted as belonging specifically to Sheet2 and the other appears without a sheet reference. When assiging a name to a Range, can I specify that it belongs to a certain sheet? Also, how would I change this code to assign the sheet name aswell? ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="myRange", RefersToR1C1:="=Sheet1!R1C1:R10C1" I am trying to assign a the name 'Column_Header_Range' to each sheet in my work...

Convert time stored as decimalised number to time format
Hello How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? -- Emma Emma A1/24 and formate as time Mike Rogers "Emma" wrote: > Hello > How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? > -- > Emma ...

how i can make the numbers
hi i am fatih fistly sorry my english is not good my trouble is haw can i will write the number of the contribution for example 1.000.000.000 =yaziyla(b42) (one milyar) and tahan my office version is turkish version thank you so your company will interesting my problem Fatih, If I understand you correctly, you want a formula to translate numbers to words (in Turkish). Laurent Longre has a language version of an function which offers this capability. It is at http://longre.free.fr/english/ I don't know if it supports Turkish, but if not, send me the Turkish words for all...

Converting from VS 2003 to VS 2005
I have recently converted a fully working application from VS 2003 to VS 2005. I now seem to have lost XP Themes and none of my combo boxes are working. Does anyone have any ideas? Chris "Chris Day" ha scritto nel messaggio news:20089248422chris.day@onwight.net... >I have recently converted a fully working application from VS 2003 to VS >2005. I now seem to have lost XP Themes and none of my combo boxes are >working. Does anyone have any ideas? Hi Chris, do you compile in Unicode mode in VC++ 2005? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that VC++2005 removes new XP ...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

How can I convert Outlook 2007 Rules files (.rwz) to something editable?
I want to manage the rules a little simpler than with the built-in rules wizard. I can export the rules to a .rwz file. - Is there a description someplace of the .rwz file? - Is there a simple script or tool to convert to a .rwz file to a .csv or some other format? A perl script, VB, etc. would be fine. -- AllBackJack ------------------------------------------------------------------------ AllBackJack's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160330.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1277903.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

named ranges in other workbooks
i have a range of cells whose values are validated from a list determined by a name the name is determined by a formula which references a range of cells in a different workbook (i'm on a office network...) the problem is: if the other workbook is open (on my desktop?) the name is o.k. and the validation is fine... but: if the other workbook is not open, the name results in an error i didn't think that this is the way it's suppose to work... AURGHH Mark, Do you use a full reference such as ='C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Book1.xls'!profit Bernar...

Date range for a report
Hi I am trying to run a query and can't seem to nail down the right code. We use the access database to track files, incoming/outgoing correspondence dates etc. I am trying to run a query that show me files with dates in a follow up field of -60 days to +7 days, so essentially any follow ups missed in the last 2 months and up coming in the next week. This report is run on a weekly basis. Appreciate any help Thanks Assuming that the follow up field is actually a date/time data type, try this in the criteria: Between Date() - 60 and Date() + 7 -- Jerry Whittle, ...

adding a zero in front of number
how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers and most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example 095421 when I enter shows 95421. help. Hi When the number must remain numeric data, then format the cell as Custom "00000" (the number of 0's determines to which length is the entry padded). When you want the number to be converted to string, then use the formula (in my example the original number resides in cell A1) =TEXT(A1,"00000") (again, the number of 0's in format string determines the length of padding) Arvi ...

Convert hh:mm:ss to seconds?
I am inputting two times as h:mm:ss and subtracting them. I am trying to get the final answer as seconds. The only thing I can think of is trying to use LEFT and RIGHT to separate hh, mm and ss, multiply to convert the hh and mm to seconds, and then add to get total seconds. One - the LEFT and RIGHT don't seem to want to work for me - I keep getting decimal answers, even with a hh:mm:ss format. Two - is there an easier way? Ed Hi Ed Multiply by 86400 and format as decimal. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> skrev i melding news:uxdZXHozFHA...

MATCH function; comparing letter grades in columns
I am currently comparing the contents on two cells in columns H & I (for example, cells H10 and I10). The contents are letter grades (i.e., A, A-, B+, B, etc., through E). I have my function tell me if there is any difference between the two columns and report the result (i.e., =93no change,=94 rating decrease,=94 or =93rating increase=94) in th= e adjoining column, J10. I use the MATCH function, and since it can=92t distinguish between the letter grades, I have placed the letter grades in cells M2 through M13. My function is as follows: =3DIF(MATCH(H10,M$2:M$13,0)=3DMATCH(I10,M$2:M$1...

Item number/location code does not exist in inventory error
I'm using eConnect to do an SOP transaction and it has been working for months but with a new customer and a new site I'm getting an error. The error is: "Item number/location code does not exist in inventory". The same transactions are still working with other customers on other sites so it seems like it must be a set up issue in GP. The customer and site look like they're configured the same as the ones that work so I'm stumped. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Thanks, Matt Have you confirmed that the item number has been assigned to the new sit...

Conditional Format
Hi, I want to assign a number to a certain conditional format. When the condition is true it should put a 1 in the cell and when the condition is false a zero or nothing should be assigned. Anyone? I seem to make the wrong code all the time. Thanks, Johanna Use the same test that the CF uses, and return 1 for TRUE and "" for FALSE. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Jootje" <Jootje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB0B3201-2DD9-466A-94FF-108691C77FAF@microsoft.com... > Hi, > >...

Converting cells
Hello! My problem is that I cannot see the $ sign in Format Cell window when I choose the Currency format. Even more, the cells are not changing for the currency format. Thanks for any help. Try making a custom format. Try this one: $#,##0.00;[Red]-$#,##0.00 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

does any one know how to convert a scanned sheet to a work sheet
does any one know how to convert a scanned sheet to a workable sheet in excel You could use OCR (optical character recognition) software to convert the image to text that could then be loaded into cells. My experience with OCR software has not been entirely satisfactory. Unless this is a large sheet, it may be easier to retype. Jerry bigjoe44 wrote: > does any one know how to convert a scanned sheet to a workable sheet in excel ...

Custom Formatting numbers question
I have a spreadsheet with lot of millions numbers floating around. When I make graphs out of it, there's too much zeros. I don't want to divide all the numbers per 1 million. Is there a way to custom format those numbers with a mask that would take care of that problem for me ? i.e. 7 456 890.98$ would be represented with 7,457 M$ tia Double-click the numbers on your chart. Hit the Scale tab. From the Display units drop-down, choose Millions. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

Named Ranges
I have a file with over 100 named ranges. I would like to expand the range of the name on all of these names. Is there a way to use the replace command or is manually the only way to do this? [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to keith. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] If the names refer to hardcoded ranges, i.e., Name1 =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5 then you will have to either fix them by hand or write a VBA program that will make the change(s) you need. Alternatively, you use named formulas that adjust as needed. Suppose you have ...

range color from date and database
newbie done some homework on excel i would like to have a range change color based on date and time and a name from a database--or any suggestion for example if it is thursday and the time is betweeen 1 and 3 pm i want the range to be say light red if out of tinme range i want it to be light green also the cell above the range as long as time constraints are met to have a name from a datasource any suggestions or ideas apprciated i need to have data from either a database or from say another sheet where user can enter a form the data from the datasource would fill range values a...

Text Converted to a Picture
I am having the following problem i have text that was entered into an excel speadsheet that now has been converted into a picture. I need to know how i can un-convert it so i can make modifications to the text. ...

Possible to convert a + number to a
Is it possible to take a specific column and specific row, in an access database (Access 2003), and convert that positive number into a negative number? Please let me know if you have any information. Also, if you need more information to answer this question, please don't hesitate to ask. -- MC Yes, find the row based on its primary key and then multiply the number by -1 CurrentProject.Connection.Execute "UPDATE myTable SET myField = myField * -1 WHERE myKey = " & lngKey -Dorian "MMC" wrote: > Is it possible to take a specific column and specific r...

Exponential number format

Control the number of records shown in a report/subreport.
I've posted this question before and when I follow the advice, I keep getting a circular reference error. So I'm hoping that if I post some more info, I may get insight as to what is going wrong. I have a report (BartS1report) it uses a query (BartS1Report). This report as a subreport (BartS1Sub2) that uses the query (BartS1). The report lists the customer name, address, and systems serviced. The subreport lists the systems serviced. The reports are connected through the Master/Child links Customer ID and the ServiceAddress. When there are more than 20 systems per ...

adding number in next cell
Every month I have to change the sales amount in my worksheet. I would like this amount to be added automatically to the total for the year sales amount in the next cell. Is this possible? Of course it's possible! If you would like a suggested formula: =SUM($A$1:A1) Now, if this doesn't work for you, how would I know that, with all the information that you gave us? -- Regards, RD ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit ! -----------------------------...