Conditional formatting with cell styles

I like the cell styles and the fact that they can change if I change a
workbook theme. I'd like to use these styles in conditional formats but I
can only see manual settings for fonts, borders, fills etc in the
conditional formatting options. Is there a way to specify that a conditional
format should use a named cell style perhaps?

Thanks for any clues you can give.

Kevin

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

What value (from a function) would a chart line ignore (like it ignores an empty cell)?
When creating a line chart, I would like to show separate bits of a line (i.e. a discontinous line). The underlying data comes in the form of excel formulas. Neither "" or FALSE does the job (both render a zero-value when charting). I would like to avoid running a macro that deletes the appropriate cells. Is there any solution for this in today's excel version? Many thanks for your help! You can use NA() in the formula, e.g.: =IF(A5=0,NA(),A5) Hansi wrote: > When creating a line chart, I would like to show separate bits of a > line (i.e. a discontinous line). The unde...

change cell name to text nmae
I have a worksheet that is 2 x100 in size, that is columns A and B, Rows 1 through 100. Each cell is filled with a single "word", in this case the sheet looks like the following: A B 1 data1 data2 2 data3 data4 3 data5 data5 4 data6 data7 5 data8 data9 6 data10 data11 7 data12 data13 8 data14 data15 etc,etc,etc.... I would like to name the cells the same as their content. In other words the cell that contains the word data3 would be named data3. Once this is done I want to delete the contents of all of the cells but keep the names that I have created f...

Copy data ONLY from a function cell
I want to copy and paste the data derived a function in a cell. If I copy the cell, it will carry the function with it. Is there a way I can copy only the data (i.e. 98.26) and not the function with it (i.e. =AVERAGE(I3:I6)) to paste into another cell or non-excel document? Thanks in advance. copy>paste special>values -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "AAA1986" <AAA1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8F0D2D9-39F0-436B-9202-0D7E604B59D3@microsoft.com... >I want to copy and paste the d...

removing blank cells from a column
Is there a combination of functions that can create a new column without blank cells from a column with blank cells? I want this to be accomplished in real-time so that if cells are changed in the column with blanks, the other coolumn's cells change automatically. Depending on what you are wanting to do with the column with no blanks, your original column can be viewed that way by selecting the data, then doing Data > Filter > Autofilter > and selecting "Non-blanks" from the arrow..........then just do Data > Filter > Autofilter to return to normal. Vaya ...

extract specific info from cells in a column
how do I extract specific info within a cell ie 73AP9 and 73AP7 from column ranged B1:B200 on sheet 1 and have show up on sheet 2 in a specific row under 2 separate columns 1 for each entry, ie row is titled 73A looking to put the 73AP9 and 73AP7 in their own column within the row label 73A Venturing a guess here as to what's wanted .. Link to demo file with sample construct at: http://www.savefile.com/files/3124085 Extracting Specific Info From Cells In Col_Herman Assuming source data in Sheet1, in col B, textheader in B1, data from B2 down Label 73AP9 73AP7 74AP5 74AP3 73AP8 74...

How do i Lock certain cells to prevent typing?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet, where half of the data is from a download (whic should be never changed manually) from a system and the other half i entered manually. How do i lock certain parts of the w/s so that it prevents accidenta changing of the data. thanks in advance kevin : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sokevin! If you use: Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet Give and confirm password The entire sheet will be protected against user entry. So you can see that by default, when protection is implemented using the Tools menu, all cells are locked. To unl...

Hightlight cells that contain special characters
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet containing first & last names (columns A & B), up to 10,000 rows and some of the names contain 'foreign' characters - such as é. I would like to be able to hightlight all cells that contain a non-standard character (ie: A-Z, a-z, 0-9) which will allow our admin team to eailly filter and correct before the data is loaded into the system. I've been trying to create a macro for this but I can't seem to get a formula together to include for all the possible special characters. I'm ok with excel but by no means a whi...

Changing the color of a cell based on the color of another cell.
How can I have Excel automatically change the color of a cell, for example "A5" if "D5" is found to be the color RED due to a conditional format. Automatically change A5 to the color RED, IF D5 is fould to be RED. So D5 changes to red because of its conditional formatting? Use the same rule(s) in A5 as what you used in D5. Change the formatting if you want, but use the same rules. LATC wrote: > > How can I have Excel automatically change the color of a cell, for example > "A5" if "D5" is found to be the color RED due...

Making an entry in a cell change the name of a sheet
Is anyone aware of a way to make data entered into a cell change the name of the sheet? For example if you have a file with many sheets and you'd like the name of the sheet to become the name of a certain date that was entered into a particular cell. Many Thanks :-) Mr. Bungle The macro below will do what you want. Right-click on the sheet tab, select View Code, and paste this macro into the module displayed. X-out to return to the worksheet. As written, the cell with the date is A1 and the date format for the subsequent sheet name is "mmm d yyyy". Change these as need...

How do I view all data in a cell regardless of number of characte.
Click in the cell. Look at the Formula Bar! -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "DavidMarquez" <DavidMarquez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29A9CA8-57E4-403F-B3F7-6176308CE8FE@microsoft.com... > Also, if you mean how much cell content you can display on the sheet, itself, however, that's a different story. A cell can display up to 255 characters wide (column width) by 409 points tall (row height). Font s...

Two Calculations in one cell?
Is it possible to have 2 separate calculations in one cell? I have a summary Table on one Sheet which gets its values from two other sheets. D E F G H I 2000/1 2001/2 2002/3 2003/4 2004/5 20 Bonus: Area 15 11 10 6 10(2) 21 Bonus: National 28 29 63 22 39(5) 22 Voucher : Area 22 52 84 54 52(7) 23 Voucher : National 36 7 25 21 17(3) 24 Team ...

text color change in cell reference
I have a workbook in excel 2003 with two sheets. Cell references on the second sheet refer to the first sheet ='CODE SHEET'!I102 when I change text color in cell I102 on the code sheet how do I get the color to automatically change on the second sheet. That requires VBA. Check the archives: http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel* here's one suggestion: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_fr m/thread/ccbd9afeb33f0cdb/e991c1faf1f02314 In article <596DD3DD-39F8-4A52-8D90-C0E4763E4575@microsoft.com>, TomKat...

Vlookup based on Active cell
Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. I looking for the reference of the vlookup to be the active cell. thanks in advance for any help on this Thomp <williamth...@gmail.com> wrote... >Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the >active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell >on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. >I looking for the...

sum cells with numbers
This shouldn't be too diffacult but I can't seem to find the function that would allow me to sum the cells with numbers and then divide that by the number of blank cells. e.g. cells A1:A5, if A1 is 5, A2 is 10 and cells A3 through A5 are blank then the answer would be 5. 5+10/3=5 I tried isnumber and isblank but that doesn't work. Any ideas? What result do you want if all the cells contain numbers? Biff "mmcap" <mmcap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A310857-9441-4187-AF8C-2A27749BA62A@microsoft.com... > This shouldn't be too diffacu...

Lock or Unlock cell references in a formula for auto fill purposes
Are there any tricks (control or alt + something for example) to locking or unlocking (probably not using the correct terms) of cell references in a formula in order to set it up for the autofill scenario I want to do? For example if I have the following formula: =a1+b1 How can I easily change it to =$a$1+$b$1 or =a$1+b$1 or =$a1+$b1 I may just be crazy, but if you have any quicker command button suggestions to change these scenarios easier than having to type them every time that would be great. Thank you. -- David P. Select the relevant cell references in the formula bar and press ...

choosing a cell with a comment
I need a formula that will allow me to display different text values based on a sum of 2 cells from another worksheet depending on the value of the sum.... if the sum of the 2 cells is >=0.3 & <=0.49 then I need to display a comment stored in cell F22 from another worksheet. If sum is <=0.5 I need comment from cell F23. If the sum is<0.3 then I need the cell to remain blank. =if((a1+a2)>=0.3,if((a1+a2)<=0.49,Sheet2!$F$22,Sheet2!$F$23),"") (I'm guessing that F23 should be displaed if the sum is >0.49. If you really intended F23 to be shown if the su...

Labeling equations in IEEE format
Hello. I study Electronics engineering. For writing articles or papers we use the IEEE format, which implies writing in two columns. For writing an equation, it must be centered in a column and in front of it, aligned to the right, it should be the equation number between brackets. For example: (left column margin)| F=ma (2)|(right column margin) I really like the equations editor and the autolabeling option (Fig. 1., Table 1., etc.) I'd like to know if there's a way of, first, auto labeling and numbering formulas the way I showed you, just the ...

Date Time Stamp formatting
Hello, In Excel 2010... Working with a dataset of 200K+ records and I can't seem to format a date/time stamp (5/10/2011 9:10:45 AM) correctly so that a pivot table will summarize by just the date and NOT by date and time. TFTH, Tom "Tom Taetsch" <ttaetsch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:368a6a6f-3e5f-496d-bee3-72a98b67314a@x21g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > In Excel 2010... Working with a dataset of 200K+ records and I can't > seem to format a date/time stamp (5/10/2011 9:10:45 AM) correctly so > that a pivot table will summarize by just the da...

Can I keep and hide a formula if there is no value in cell?
I have a form that has formulas in it- my question is: Can I hide and keep the formulas in the cells without there actually being a value in it? thanks so much If your cell has a formula in it, then it has a value in it. But you could use a value that makes it look empty--just have it return an empty string: =if(a1=3,a2+a7,"") Ev wrote: > > I have a form that has formulas in it- my question is: Can I hide and keep > the formulas in the cells without there actually being a value in it? thanks > so much -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com When I do this... will ...

Email format changing when moving to next cell
I have an excel spreadsheet I created for when we get a new customer. The user opens the protected sheet and enters info by tabbing from cell to cell. I have changed the format of the email address cell to be Arial Narrow and bold, when I enter info and tab or enter out of that field the formatting changes to Arial and unbolded. How can I keep the format I want instead of what excel wants to default to? Thanks for the help! Kat in WI On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:17:49 -0500, "Kat" <kat@nospam.com> wrote: >I have an excel spreadsheet I created for when we get a ...

link cells
How do I get the info in a cell on one worksheet to update the same info in a cell on another work sheet? =Sheet1!A1 just a direct reference to the other cell -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Mex" <Mex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF007558-15F6-4EAF-BF86-F23393585AA3@microsoft.com... > How do I get the info in a cell on one worksheet to update the same info in a > cell on another work sheet? ...

Macro to switch to another sheet, grab ref to any cell, paste ref in current sheet??
I am looking for a way (either macro or VBA) to perform one simple task: while in *any cell* of your choice in the current worksheet, switch to another specific sheet, choose *any* cell, grab a reference to that cell (not its value), switch back to the first worksheet and slap in the reference of the cell in the other sheet. This would be the automated equivalent of doing the following manually: 1) Select *any cell* (say *F11*) in the current sheet (Call it "*Destination*"). 2) Press "=" (no "ENTER") 3) Click the tab for the other sheet (call it "*Source*&...

Universal currency cell conversion
I need to convert a worksheet valued in Euro, to Australian and Singapore Dollars. How can I do this in a simpler way than taking the time to convert each cell? Thanks in anticipation Hi, - Find an empty cell and enter the conversion rate into it. - select all cells which need conversion - choose Edit, paste special, values, multiply. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel TA/MVP >-----Original Message----- >I need to convert a worksheet valued in Euro, to >Australian and Singapore Dollars. How can I do this in a >simpler way than taking the time to convert each cell? > &...

alphabetize cells
Select the whole range to sort, then Data|Sort. b365morton wrote: -- Dave Peterson The easiest way is to first select all cells on the sheet. Unless you have separate sections to be sorted independently you would normally first select all cells on the sheet. Just thought it might seem ambiguous if you don't already know the answer. "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:42D413F6.6C5BF7C4@verizonXSPAM.net... > Select the whole range to sort, then Data|Sort. > > b365morton wrote: > > -- > > Dave Peterson ...

Multiple results of Vlookup in one cell
Dear Experts: How can I retrieve multiple occurances of lookedup value in one cell?? I want to retrieve thru formula multiple product sales in a given date. Jan-1 Product 1 Feb-15 Product 4 Jan-5 Product 3 Feb-15 Product 1 Feb-15 Product 2 so results should be : Lookup value: Feb-15 Results: "Product 4, Product 2, Product 1" as a string in one cell Is it possible using a Vlookup or any other combination of formula Please help Murtaza Hi Murtaza, Look here to get multiple results: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012260381033.aspx Then you...