Conditional Formatting - Multiple Criterias

Hi all,

I've tried a couple of the other examples for Conditional Formatting with
multiple criterias, that have been discussed on here, but I have been unable
to get it to work.

I have a spreadsheet with 7 different milestones, which tracks milestone
dates for 112 projects.  Each milestone has a column of forecast date and a
column of an actual date.   For example:
Milestone 1:
Forecast dates in C2 to C113. Actual dates in D2 to D113
Milestone 2:
Forecast dates in E2 to E113. Actual dates in F2 to F113
etc.

If a milestone has not been reached, the cell is blank.

What I'd like to have happen is that when a forecast date is today or older,
while the actual date is blank, I want the forecast date to be formatted to
have a red font.

I'm pretty novice when it comes to Excel, so what I've been trying is
variations of
=AND(D2="",C2<TODAY()), but it doesn't seem to work.
Would it be best to format on a per column basis, or is it possible to do
one for the entire spreadsheet?

I'm using Excel 2007.

Anyone that can help?  Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,
Tom

0
Tom7430 (437)
2/5/2009 7:40:43 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Looks like I was able to do it to one single cell using:

=AND(D19="",C19<U1)

where U1 is =NOW()

Anyone know how I would go about getting this to more than just one cell,
without going in to each individual cell to create a rule?

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've tried a couple of the other examples for Conditional Formatting with
> multiple criterias, that have been discussed on here, but I have been unable
> to get it to work.
>
> I have a spreadsheet with 7 different milestones, which tracks milestone
> dates for 112 projects.  Each milestone has a column of forecast date and a
> column of an actual date.   For example:
> Milestone 1:
> Forecast dates in C2 to C113. Actual dates in D2 to D113
> Milestone 2:
> Forecast dates in E2 to E113. Actual dates in F2 to F113
> etc.
>
> If a milestone has not been reached, the cell is blank.
>
> What I'd like to have happen is that when a forecast date is today or older,
> while the actual date is blank, I want the forecast date to be formatted to
> have a red font.
>
> I'm pretty novice when it comes to Excel, so what I've been trying is
> variations of
> =AND(D2="",C2<TODAY()), but it doesn't seem to work.
> Would it be best to format on a per column basis, or is it possible to do
> one for the entire spreadsheet?
>
> I'm using Excel 2007.
>
> Anyone that can help?  Let me know if you need additional information.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

0
Tom7430 (437)
2/5/2009 9:38:18 PM
=AND(C2<TODAY(),ISBLANK(D2))

--
Steve

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried a couple of the other examples for Conditional Formatting with
> multiple criterias, that have been discussed on here, but I have been
> unable
> to get it to work.
>
> I have a spreadsheet with 7 different milestones, which tracks milestone
> dates for 112 projects.  Each milestone has a column of forecast date and
> column of an actual date.   For example:
> Milestone 1:
> Forecast dates in C2 to C113. Actual dates in D2 to D113
> Milestone 2:
> Forecast dates in E2 to E113. Actual dates in F2 to F113
> etc.
>
> If a milestone has not been reached, the cell is blank.
>
> What I'd like to have happen is that when a forecast date is today or
> older,
> while the actual date is blank, I want the forecast date to be formatted
> have a red font.
>
> I'm pretty novice when it comes to Excel, so what I've been trying is
> variations of
> =AND(D2="",C2<TODAY()), but it doesn't seem to work.
> Would it be best to format on a per column basis, or is it possible to do
> one for the entire spreadsheet?
>
> I'm using Excel 2007.
>
> Anyone that can help?  Let me know if you need additional information.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

0
AltaEgo
2/5/2009 9:41:35 PM
Thanks Steve, but that doesn't seem to work..

I got it to work in a single cell using
=AND(D19="",C19<U1)

where U1 is =NOW()

So now I'm wondering how I can apply this to several columns, without going
to each cell and setting up a custom conditional formatting for each of them.

Tom

"AltaEgo" wrote:

> =AND(C2<TODAY(),ISBLANK(D2))
>

> --
> Steve
>
> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've tried a couple of the other examples for Conditional Formatting with
> > multiple criterias, that have been discussed on here, but I have been
> > unable
> > to get it to work.
> >
> > I have a spreadsheet with 7 different milestones, which tracks milestone
> > dates for 112 projects.  Each milestone has a column of forecast date and
> > column of an actual date.   For example:
> > Milestone 1:
> > Forecast dates in C2 to C113. Actual dates in D2 to D113
> > Milestone 2:
> > Forecast dates in E2 to E113. Actual dates in F2 to F113
> > etc.
> >
> > If a milestone has not been reached, the cell is blank.
> >
> > What I'd like to have happen is that when a forecast date is today or
> > older,
> > while the actual date is blank, I want the forecast date to be formatted
> > have a red font.
> >
> > I'm pretty novice when it comes to Excel, so what I've been trying is
> > variations of
> > =AND(D2="",C2<TODAY()), but it doesn't seem to work.
> > Would it be best to format on a per column basis, or is it possible to do
> > one for the entire spreadsheet?
> >
> > I'm using Excel 2007.
> >
> > Anyone that can help?  Let me know if you need additional information.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom

0
Tom7430 (437)
2/5/2009 11:00:11 PM
Which cell is this being applied to? C19 ?

Do you need to refer to NOW in some other formula? If not, then you
could include it within the CF formula, and as you are not interested
in times, then you could use TODAY instead.

Highlight all the cells within the column that you want to change, eg
C2:C113,making sure that C2 is the active cell, and use this CF
formula for the first condition:

=3DAND(D2=3D"",C2<TODAY())

Set your format and click OK twice to exit the CF dialogue boxes. That
condition will now apply to all the cells that were highlighted. Use
the Format Painter icon to apply the same CF conditions to columns E,
G, H etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 5, 11:00=A0pm, Tom <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, but that doesn't seem to work..
>
> I got it to work in a single cell using
> =3DAND(D19=3D"",C19<U1)
>
> where U1 is =3DNOW()
>
> So now I'm wondering how I can apply this to several columns, without goi=
ng
> to each cell and setting up a custom conditional formatting for each of t=
hem.

> Tom
>

> "AltaEgo" wrote:
>
> > =3DAND(C2<TODAY(),ISBLANK(D2))
>
> > --
> > Steve
>
> > "Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I've tried a couple of the other examples for Conditional Formatting =
with
> > > multiple criterias, that have been discussed on here, but I have been
> > > unable
> > > to get it to work.
>
> > > I have a spreadsheet with 7 different milestones, which tracks milest=
one
> > > dates for 112 projects. =A0Each milestone has a column of forecast da=
te and
> > > column of an actual date. =A0 For example:
> > > Milestone 1:
> > > Forecast dates in C2 to C113. Actual dates in D2 to D113
> > > Milestone 2:
> > > Forecast dates in E2 to E113. Actual dates in F2 to F113
> > > etc.
>
> > > If a milestone has not been reached, the cell is blank.
>
> > > What I'd like to have happen is that when a forecast date is today or
> > > older,
> > > while the actual date is blank, I want the forecast date to be format=
ted
> > > have a red font.
>
> > > I'm pretty novice when it comes to Excel, so what I've been trying is
> > > variations of
> > > =3DAND(D2=3D"",C2<TODAY()), but it doesn't seem to work.
> > > Would it be best to format on a per column basis, or is it possible t=
o do
> > > one for the entire spreadsheet?
>
> > > I'm using Excel 2007.
>
> > > Anyone that can help? =A0Let me know if you need additional informati=
on.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
2/6/2009 1:20:50 AM
Thanks Pete, that did it! I appreciate your help!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> Which cell is this being applied to? C19 ?
>
> Do you need to refer to NOW in some other formula? If not, then you
> could include it within the CF formula, and as you are not interested
> in times, then you could use TODAY instead.
>
> Highlight all the cells within the column that you want to change, eg
> C2:C113,making sure that C2 is the active cell, and use this CF
> formula for the first condition:
>
> =AND(D2="",C2<TODAY())
>
> Set your format and click OK twice to exit the CF dialogue boxes. That
> condition will now apply to all the cells that were highlighted. Use
> the Format Painter icon to apply the same CF conditions to columns E,
> G, H etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Feb 5, 11:00 pm, Tom <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Steve, but that doesn't seem to work..
> >
> > I got it to work in a single cell using
> > =AND(D19="",C19<U1)
> >
> > where U1 is =NOW()
> >
> > So now I'm wondering how I can apply this to several columns, without going
> > to each cell and setting up a custom conditional formatting for each of them.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > "AltaEgo" wrote:
> >
> > > =AND(C2<TODAY(),ISBLANK(D2))
> >
> > > --
> > > Steve
> >
> > > "Tom" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tom7430 (437)
2/6/2009 3:39:06 PM
You're welcome, Tom - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Feb 6, 3:39=A0pm, Tom <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pete, that did it! I appreciate your help!
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > Which cell is this being applied to? C19 ?
>
> > Do you need to refer to NOW in some other formula? If not, then you
> > could include it within the CF formula, and as you are not interested
> > in times, then you could use TODAY instead.
>
> > Highlight all the cells within the column that you want to change, eg
> > C2:C113,making sure that C2 is the active cell, and use this CF
> > formula for the first condition:
>
> > =3DAND(D2=3D"",C2<TODAY())
>
> > Set your format and click OK twice to exit the CF dialogue boxes. That
> > condition will now apply to all the cells that were highlighted. Use
> > the Format Painter icon to apply the same CF conditions to columns E,
> > G, H etc.
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Feb 5, 11:00 pm, Tom <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks Steve, but that doesn't seem to work..
>
> > > I got it to work in a single cell using
> > > =3DAND(D19=3D"",C19<U1)
>
> > > where U1 is =3DNOW()
>
> > > So now I'm wondering how I can apply this to several columns, without=
 going
> > > to each cell and setting up a custom conditional formatting for each =
of them.

> > > Tom

pashurst (2576)

how to support multiple selection in treeview?
Hi, It seems that CTreeCtrl doesn't support multiple items selection. Is it correct? Its member function GetSelectedItem() returns "the" selected item. Then how do we allow multiple selections? Any help is appreciated. JD >It seems that CTreeCtrl doesn't support multiple items selection. Is it >correct? Its member function GetSelectedItem() returns "the" selected item. >Then how do we allow multiple selections? Any help is appreciated. Although it's not multiple selection as such, each item can have a check box if you use TVS_CHECKBOXES...

How do you distribute global changes? (format strings etc) GP 9.0
This one is stumping me for the moment. In brief, the client needs to be able to enter phone numbers that are not compatable with the canned Phone_Number format and data types. I was able to make the change on my test machine easily enough, but I am uncertain if there are any gotchas in the distribution process. I found a knowledge base article that tells me I will need to copy Forms.dic and Dynamics.vba to the client machines. But, does it matter what order I do that in as regards my other modifications? I have a .cnk file, as well as simple modifed forms and reports (with and witho...

Multiple Addess books in outlook 2000
Is it possible to have two "independent" address lists in Outlook 2000 please? I want to import a list that is only relevant to one activity and keep it safely separate from my general list. Michael Forrest Most people create separate Contact Subfolders for that purpose. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Forrest" <forrest@fthursdayst.co.uk> wrote in message news:d02a28$4ah$1@hercules.btinternet.com... > Is it possible to have two "independent" address lists in Outlook 2000 > please? I want to import a list that is only relevant to one activity...

Conditional Formatting formula (one cell matching another with tex
I NEED A FORMULA TO DO THIS: IN D18 TURN TEXT RED IF IT DOES NOT MATCH CONTENTS EITHER G7("DAYS") OR H7("HALF") MEANING IF D18 HAS TEXT, IT HAS TO MATCH TEXT IN EITHER G7 OR H7 OR TEXT IN D18 WILL TURN RED Try this formula: =not(or(d18=g7,d18=h7)) In the future, please get your Caps Lock key fixed, so you can stop shouting. Regards, Fred "MomHudd" <MomHudd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29BA4A59-8F69-4E50-8612-9DBC741AC0A2@microsoft.com... >I NEED A FORMULA TO DO THIS: > > IN D18 TURN TEXT RED IF IT ...

Average with condition
Hi, Cells E21, F21, G21 has numbers, Cell H21 is the aveage of Range E21:G21 I want to see the average in cell H21 only if ANY TWO cells from the range has numbers in it. In other words: Nothing will be shown in cell H21 if there is ONE number in the range. Khalil If for numbers you mean anything then =IF(COUNTA($E$21:$G$21)>1,AVERAGE($E$21:$G$21),"") Will work -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS web: www.nickhodge.co.uk blog (non-tech): www.nickhodge.co.uk/blog/ "Khalil Handal" <khhandal@stth...

countif w/ 2 conditions
is it possible to use countif w/ 2 conditions? -- rp Not exactly, but you could use 2 of them, and add them together. =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"A")+COUNTIF(A1:A100,"B") -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "rp" <rufinojr54@hotpop.com> wrote in message news:ep45nBztEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > is it possible to use countif w/ 2 conditions? > > -- ...

Subform/Query Criteria
Hi everyone I have set up a Query in Access. In one of the criteria fields I have something like this which ckecks each returned record's "state" field against a value from a textbox. This is to see if the returned record is from the same US state as the state selected by the user. (NY, CA, GA, MD, and the like). Here is the criterion: AND ((qryLocationsByType1.State) Like [Forms]![frmMain]![subform].[Form]![txtState] ) >> if txtstate = CA, it works What I really need is a way to check the returned record's "state" field against a list of US States...

Hlep I am really stuck
I am trying to make a form that finds records from a table and displays them in a form. I have created a form and placed the required fields onto the form. I have created an unbound combo box and added an expression to the on change property.The code looks like this Private Sub Combo8_AfterUpdate() ' Find the record that matches the control. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "Str([vrm]) = " & Str(Nz(Me![Combo8], 0)) If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark End Sub It is supposed to look in a field called vrm ("text" t...

Deleting Multiple Public Folders
Hi Folks; I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a newsfeed. That made about 65,000 public folders and I later decided to remove the newsfeed. I can delete the folders one by one but I can't seem to delete them all en masse. Does anyone know how to efficiently delete these public folders? Unsubscribing from the newsfeed first, of course. Can you delete multiples using Outlook? "Marvin Miller" <sales@real.com> wrote in message news:e49WxLcYGHA.4884@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi Folks; > > I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a news...

Specialized custom number format
I would like to construct a formula or custom number format (or VB code?) that will do the following: This would all occur within a single column. If a five digit phone extension beginning with a 1 is entered (e.g., 12345), I would like Excel to automatically add the area code and first two digits of an extension. Example result: (212) 551-2345 If a five digit extension beginning with a 2 is entered (23456) I would like the result to be (212) 662-3456. And if a five digit extension beginning with a 3 is entered (34567), the the result should be (212) 773-4567. And so on... If a sev...

format a cell for a timesheet
What format should I use if I want the time sheet to show totals in quarter hours such as 8:25 instead of 8:15. The current format is [H]:mm and it's returning the 8:15 but I want it to return 8:25 Thank you Louis Louis, In an adjacent column, use = A1*24 and format to dec places. You will get 8.25, not 8:25, but is that okay? -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Louis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3e9a01c3fe02$2f54c460$a101280a@phx....

Format Cell Problem #2
Hi, Sorry for all these dumb questions, but I never had any problems with Excel 97. This one is apparently just too complicated for me at my old age. Anyway, thanks for all the help; really appreciate it. So, using Excel 2007, and XP I select a cell that has a number in it with 5 decimal places. I go to Format Cells, and select Number, and tell it to go to 4 decimal places. It won't, and continues to show 5 decimal places. This is also true if I try it on a column of numbers. What am I not doing right ? (I am sure that what appears in the cell is truly a number, and not text.) T...

Formatting date fields
I could not seem to find the format syntax. I want to format a date field to display '------' when there is no date to print in a record. Can this be done? If no-one has a better suggestion then you can create a second field in your query with iif(IsNull(MyDate),Format(MyDate,"dd/mm/yy"),"----"). Show this field for display purposes and keep the real field for sorting and calculations. Evi "BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message news:Kslzj.16736$097.15342@newsfe21.lga... > I could not seem to find the format syntax. > I want to format ...

conditional formating #4
I have a spreadsheet with a column of dates from the past to the future. How can I format the cells so that the dates previous to today have a colour in the cells? Thanks, Tracy Select the column...........assume column A Format>CF>Formula is: =$A1<TODAY() Format to desired color and OK Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:28:45 -0000, "Tracy" <tracydavidson5000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >I have a spreadsheet with a column of dates from the past to the future. How >can I format the cells so that the dates previous to today have a colour in ...

How do I matain formats when copy and pasting data from various so
I'm somewhat of a newbie and need help!! I need to cut and paste info from various spreadsheets into one. Each user formats their cells a bit different and the final version requires significant time to reformat each week. Is there a way I can cut and paste into my master w/o losing my formulas and formatting? Is there a way I can provide them a template sheet w/ locked formats so they cannot edit or reformat? Is there an easy way to merge this data into one spreadsheet vs. cut, paste, reformat... I would SO appreciate the help!! Good afternoon -- All this depends on what you...

Dynamic unlock a cell (under condition)
Hello guys, lets see if anyone could help me out on how to do this: I have a sheet protected with a password, the reason of this (you know) is that there are some cells that are locked (to not see their formulas or 'cause I don't want them to be changed under any circustances). This is working fine, but now I have the need of some cells (two ranges actually, these are E7:E56 & N7:N56) that they come locked by default but under certain conditions I would need them to get unlocked. Taking an E7 as example, let's say that depending on what we have in B7 this E7 will chang...

Using a form to supply DCount Criteria
I have a form (dialog box) where you can supply a range of dates and an expense category in order to customize a report. It's possible to not supply dates or an expense category in which case I want all expense records to be printed in the report. I want to use the DCount function to determine if the selections made will result in 0 records. The problem I having is how to handle the situations where either no dates and/or no category is selected. Right now here is what I have. DCount("*","[Expenses]", "[Date Amount Spent] Between Forms![Print Expenses Dialo...

Format
1st Thanks for reading/helping me with this. Question.. When formatting a cell width, the default is 8.43. 8.43 what? I want to do this formatting in inches, how do I change whatever 8.43 format is to inches? Thanks Bobby Here is what I did: I set margins on an Excel 1 inch left and 1 inch right. I populated 9 columns with entries so excel would try to print the 9 columns in the 6.5 inch space between the margins. It was OK with the 8 columns set at 80.43 and the 9th column set at 10.57. It would only print the 8 columns with...

format a 29 sheet workbook
Can I go to Page Setup and set margins, or format, etc my entire 29-pg workbook without having to make the changes to each worksheet individually? Jenn, Select all of the tabs (click sheet1 tab, hold shift, click sheet29 tab) Then goto Page Setup. Format will follow for all tabs that are selected. Mike "JennB" wrote: > Can I go to Page Setup and set margins, or format, etc my entire 29-pg > workbook without having to make the changes to each worksheet individually? Try: 1. Record a macro (X) that does the formatting on one sheet 9assign to a key stroke) 2. Run the m...

how to convert between various video format?
Bigasoft Total Video Converter helps you fast convert between various video files to enjoy your favorite movie or music video on portable device, mobile phone, mp4 player, personal computer, television, YouTube and so on with ease. The powerful video conversion tool supports video conversion between a wide range of video formats, including AVI, Xvid, DivX, H.264, MP4, 3GP, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, MOV, etc. The amazing video converter is not only an easy-to-use movie conversion tool but also a powerful audio converter which can convert between audio files like MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, etc. Moreover,...

OWA with multiple IP Addresses
Our exchange server 2003 handles multiple domains, each domain has its own unique ip assigned for handling e-mails and all go to the same exchange 2003 server. How can I configure exchange 2003 owa to respond to any one of the ip and not just the primary when brining up owa. Right now owa login page is available only if the primary ip address is used. ex: http://www.ip1.com/exchange will bring up the owa login page and http://www.ip2.com/exchange or http://www.ip3.com/exchange will display page not found. Could you not just use one IP address but setup multiple virtual directories...

Format phone number
I can't get Outlook 2007 - now using Vista - to format phone numbers as (xxx) xxx-xxxx. It did it okay with XP, but since updating to Vista there is no format - just 10 numbers. Not using exchange. How can I get it to automatically display the usual phone number format? Thanks, wiersma7 Set your dialing location correctly. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Wiersma7" <wiersma7@comcast.net> wrote in message news:E065A1C1-95F6-4795-8E6C-94339131E987@microsoft.com... >I can't get Outlook 2007 - now using Vista - to format phone numbers as >(xxx) xxx-xxxx. It d...

Data Migration Manager Replace Transformation
Is it possible to create a replace transformation that can convert a multiple source values e.g. VALUE Column contains $0-10m, $10-20m, 20-30m, etc I want to replace these values with 5000000,15000000,25000000 respectively and output to a CRM attribute "new_value" which is of type "money" I can do the first value successfully using the following transformation map, but if I create another transformation map with a replacement for the second value mapping to the same output attribute I get an error saying that the new_value is already mapped. <TransformationMaps...

Conditional Format order
Hi all, Is there an easy way of changing the order of the three conditional formats for a cell, or do I just have to re-type them all? Thanks - Dave. Sorry, no quick and easy way - just be glad there aren't more to deal with! Do remember that you can change groups of cells to same conditions, at least you don't have to do that one at a time. "davebonallack@hotmail.com" wrote: > Hi all, > Is there an easy way of changing the order of the three conditional > formats for a cell, or do I just have to re-type them all? > Thanks - Dave. > > You could open...

Custom Number Format Text
I have a spreadsheet with custom formatting of a number to show the currency name as text. This is a download from another application, so I have no control of how it is formatted or the output. For example, I might see the following cells in a given single column : 4,234 EUR 1,453 USD 2,999 CHF These will all follow the custom format "#,##0 XXX" where XXX is the currency type. How can I split off the text portion of the format to another column? If my orginal cell was A1, how could I make cell A2 = A1(CustomFormatTextOnly) I am open to a VBA solution for this as well...