Conditional formatting formula with multiple criteria

Hi all,

Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right!

Using conditional formatting, I want to:

If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the
cell bold and red

Can someone please help?

I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!

Thanks,

Kirstie
0
Kirstie (4)
7/16/2008 10:09:32 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Kirstie

Your questions sound like you wish to pick up whether there is a blank
ANYWHERE in column B AND (not or) ALL cells in column C are blank AND that
the date in a single cell in column D is more than three days old. The
reasons you may wish to test for this escape me but, here you go:

Add this to the conditional format of D2:

=AND(COUNTBLANK(B:B)>0,AND(COUNTBLANK(C:C)=65536,D2<TODAY()-3))

COUNTBLANK (obviously) counts blank cells.

So, if you have more than one blank cell in column B
AND
      if you have 65536 blanks in column C
AND
     The date in D2 is < today minus three days,

You will get a TRUE condition.

If you data fails to meet any one of the tests, you will get a FALSE
condition and the conditional format will not apply.

If I interpreted you question wrongly, hopefully COUNTBLANK() may help put
you on the right track.

HINT: When putting together complex conditional formatting, first construct
your formula in spare cells of you excel sheet. It saves a lot of
aggravation. If necessary, test each part of a multipart formula in separate
cells.

--
Steve

"Kirstie" <Kirstie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right!
>
> Using conditional formatting, I want to:
>
> If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
> blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn
> the
> cell bold and red
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kirstie

0
AltaEgo
7/16/2008 11:21:41 AM
Why 2 ANDs? And better to use COUNT()=0 than COUNTBLANK()=65536

=AND(COUNTBLANK(B:B),COUNTA(C:C)=0,D2<TODAY()-3)

--
HTH

Bob

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
> Kirstie
>
> Your questions sound like you wish to pick up whether there is a blank
> ANYWHERE in column B AND (not or) ALL cells in column C are blank AND that
> the date in a single cell in column D is more than three days old. The
> reasons you may wish to test for this escape me but, here you go:
>
> Add this to the conditional format of D2:
>
> =AND(COUNTBLANK(B:B)>0,AND(COUNTBLANK(C:C)=65536,D2<TODAY()-3))
>
> COUNTBLANK (obviously) counts blank cells.
>
> So, if you have more than one blank cell in column B
> AND
>      if you have 65536 blanks in column C
> AND
>     The date in D2 is < today minus three days,
>
> You will get a TRUE condition.
>
> If you data fails to meet any one of the tests, you will get a FALSE
> condition and the conditional format will not apply.
>
> If I interpreted you question wrongly, hopefully COUNTBLANK() may help put
> you on the right track.
>
> HINT: When putting together complex conditional formatting, first
> construct your formula in spare cells of you excel sheet. It saves a lot
> of aggravation. If necessary, test each part of a multipart formula in
> separate cells.
>

> --
> Steve
>
> "Kirstie" <Kirstie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right!
>>
>> Using conditional formatting, I want to:
>>
>> If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
>> blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn
>> the
>> cell bold and red
>>
>> Can someone please help?
>>
>> I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kirstie

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
7/16/2008 11:46:02 AM
Try this ..
Select cols B to D (B1 active), then apply CF using Formula Is:
=AND($B1="",$C1="",$D1<TODAY()-3,ISNUMBER($D1))
Format as desired > Ok out
--
Max
Singapore
"Kirstie" wrote:
> Using conditional formatting, I want to:
> If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
> blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the
> cell bold and red
> I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!

0
demechanik (4694)
7/16/2008 11:58:05 AM
Kirstie,

Here's my take on what I think you want.....

Select all of column D (note that when you select column D, D1 will be the activecell), and use
Format / Conditional Formatting..., with the "Formula is" option, and the formula

=AND(B1="",C1="",D1<>"",D1<(TODAY()-3))

Set your format to Bold and Red, etc.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Kirstie" <Kirstie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right!
>
> Using conditional formatting, I want to:
>
> If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
> blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the
> cell bold and red
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kirstie

0
Bernie
7/16/2008 12:03:43 PM
Ah ha!

This may be where I have been getting confused, and therefore confusing you.
I have been thinking of it in columns rather than rows, so i don't think it's
a complicated as i may have implied.

Having looked at it again, what i want to do is

if A2 is blank

and

B2 is blank

and

C2 is less than Today()-3

then

turn bold and red

Is that a bit more simple?

Thanks for helping me out!

Kirstie

0
Kirstie (4)
7/16/2008 12:17:39 PM
CF with a formula of

=AND(A2="",B2="",C2<TODAY()-3)

--
HTH

Bob

> Ah ha!
>
> This may be where I have been getting confused, and therefore confusing
> you.
> I have been thinking of it in columns rather than rows, so i don't think
> it's
> a complicated as i may have implied.
>
> Having looked at it again, what i want to do is
>
> if A2 is blank
>
> and
>
> B2 is blank
>
> and
>
> C2 is less than Today()-3
>
> then
>
> turn bold and red
>
> Is that a bit more simple?
>
> Thanks for helping me out!
>
> Kirstie
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> Why 2 ANDs? And better to use COUNT()=0 than COUNTBLANK()=65536
>>
>> =AND(COUNTBLANK(B:B),COUNTA(C:C)=0,D2<TODAY()-3)
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>> addy)
>>
>> "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
>> > Kirstie
>> >
>> > Your questions sound like you wish to pick up whether there is a blank
>> > ANYWHERE in column B AND (not or) ALL cells in column C are blank AND
>> > that
>> > the date in a single cell in column D is more than three days old. The
>> > reasons you may wish to test for this escape me but, here you go:
>> >
>> > Add this to the conditional format of D2:
>> >
>> > =AND(COUNTBLANK(B:B)>0,AND(COUNTBLANK(C:C)=65536,D2<TODAY()-3))
>> >
>> > COUNTBLANK (obviously) counts blank cells.
>> >
>> > So, if you have more than one blank cell in column B
>> > AND
>> >      if you have 65536 blanks in column C
>> > AND
>> >     The date in D2 is < today minus three days,
>> >
>> > You will get a TRUE condition.
>> >
>> > If you data fails to meet any one of the tests, you will get a FALSE
>> > condition and the conditional format will not apply.
>> >
>> > If I interpreted you question wrongly, hopefully COUNTBLANK() may help
>> > put
>> > you on the right track.
>> >
>> > HINT: When putting together complex conditional formatting, first
>> > construct your formula in spare cells of you excel sheet. It saves a
>> > lot
>> > of aggravation. If necessary, test each part of a multipart formula in
>> > separate cells.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Steve
>> >
>> > "Kirstie" <Kirstie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
7/16/2008 1:59:41 PM
Excellent, that did the trick.

Thanks all!

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Kirstie,
>
> Here's my take on what I think you want.....
>
> Select all of column D (note that when you select column D, D1 will be the activecell), and use
> Format / Conditional Formatting..., with the "Formula is" option, and the formula
>
> =AND(B1="",C1="",D1<>"",D1<(TODAY()-3))
>
> Set your format to Bold and Red, etc.
>

> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Kirstie" <Kirstie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right!
> >
> > Using conditional formatting, I want to:
> >
> > If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are
> > blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the
> > cell bold and red
> >
> > Can someone please help?
> >
> > I have tried all different variations and just can't get it!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kirstie

0
Kirstie (4)

Activity report
I'm trying to write a report showing completed activities for users and another for accounts (clients). Boy, is it ugly! In version 1.2, with Crystal Reports, the HTML emails looked just fine -- it would format the HTML with no problem. How do I get the same result with SSRS? (version 2000) Thanks, Karla you mean you are trying to report on the contents of an email activity? If so this cannot be done without some custom solution, its also logged as a bug. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP Web - http://www.crowecrm.com Blog - http://www.crowe...

Custom reports/queries across multiple companies in Business Porta
Is there any way to create a custom query or report that can be run inside Business Portal and which pulls figures from multiple Great Plains companies. Thank you. A View can be constructed in one database that pulls data from other databases. This view can then be used as the source for reports in tools like Crystal etc -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "KT" wrote: > Is there any way to create a custom query or report th...

importing multiple text files???
Hi, I am experiencing a big problem. As a part of my analysis for PhD I have to analyze more then 1000 files. The data that I have is in text files. To be more precise, I have 5 different data sets, from different meteo centres, each centre has a data set of 365 files for each day during the year. The format of text files is something as following: Camborne Met. Office WINDS rev 4.1 50.20 -5.30 88 02 01 01 00 00 23 0 29 3 35 07:09 (3.0) 07:09 (3.0) 06:08 (3.0) 284 284 65 65 400 400 23 23 12.5 12.5 1 1500 1500 35 35 400 400 43 90.0 43 74.5 313 74.5 HT SPD DIR Radials... 0.101 9.8 113 0.0...

Invalid References in formula
Hi, I got this error message when i close my workbook: "A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name and cell reference." The funny thing is that this error message pop out only when i save and close the workbook on certain worksheets. E.g. I have worksheet a, b, c and d. When i am either on sheet a and d, i saved the file and close the book at that sheet, the error message did not pop out. However when I performed similar actions on either of the other 2 sheets, the error m...

Conditional Sorting
I am looking to do a descending sort based on two columns being the same. Here is a simple example of what I want to do Before Sort After Sort Column 1 Column 2 Column 1 Column 2 1 5 3 3 2 2 2 2 3 3 4 7 4 ...

Multiple colors transparent in picture-HOW?
I am trying to make multiple areas of a picture partially transparent, but am unable to in Publisher. What programs would allow me to make this change? If it is a bitmap, i.e. jpg, bmp and others, you need to use a photo editing program. If it is a vector (.wmf) you can ungroup the image, select the area you want partially transparent, right-click, click format object. This link will take you to Paint.NET, it is a pretty good free program. http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.html -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

data validation
Is it possible to create a similar function like data validation, from which I can select multiple options? (Background: I need a list of many names, from which I case by case can select). Not really. Maybe you could use a listbox. I added a listbox from the Forms toolbar to a worksheet. I called it "List Box 1". I rightclicked on that listbox and chose Format Control. On the Control tab, I chose Selection Type of Multi. I also pointed at the range that held the values that go in that listbox. Then I added a button from the Forms toolbar (I click the button when I'm d...

Multiple IF statement not working
I have numbers in cells b2, d2,e2, and f2. I am trying to write statment that will increment number in cell b2 by one for each cell (d2, e2, f2) that is greater than or equal to one. The following formula will not work if more than one cell (d2, e2, f2) has a zero in it: =IF(AND(D2>=1,E2>=1,F2>=1),B2+3,IF(OR(D2=0,E2=0,F2=0),B2+2,IF(AND (D2=0,E2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(D2=0,F2=0),B2+1,IF(AND(E2=0,F2=0),B2+1,))))) Does anyone know why? Try this =B2+COUNTIF(D2:F2,">=1") -- Wag more, bark less "Anthony" wrote: > I have numbers in cells b2, d...

one page in booklet format
How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? duff wrote: > How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then > pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? File > Print > Pages 1 to 1 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. Flip pages. File > Print > Pages 2 to 2 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Formula #71
Hi all, I am using the following formula in a Excel 2003. =IF((F12="Maternity leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Jury Service"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Paternity Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Family Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Special Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Unauthorised Absence"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Compassionate Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Annual leave"),C12/5*G12)))))))) I'm trying to state that if F12 is one of the values listed then display the result of the calculation C12/5*G12. This is working. Where would I add s...

Conditionally inserting image
Hi there, Does anyone out there know if its possible in Excel (2002) to conditionally insert an image into a file based upon the results of formula. So for instance... If a2 > 100 then [insert red traffic light image] Else If a2 > 50 then [insert amber traffic light image] Else [insert green traffic light image] Im familiar with VBA and wonder if that holds the solution but either way Im not sure how to reference each image (& dont know how each image is stored)? Any advice greatly appreciated. Phil You don't need an image. You can simply use conditional formatting on...

Options Group and Query Criteria, revisited
I recently posted a question about option groups passing info to a query for a Yes/No field, and received some great advice. However, I've tried to apply that advice in a similar way to a Date field, to no avail. In the query, I want the user to be able to display (1) only records with dates present or (2) only records without dates present or (3) all records. I changed the query criterion that worked for the checkbox as follows, and placed it under the Date field which I want to select by (this statement yields no records): IIF([forms].[fmQryByClinicSurveys].[emailOptions]=1...

Adding a formula to the same cell (H5) on every tab
I have an inventory spreadsheet with 125 tabs. The tabs are numbered 1 through 125. The are identical except for the data below the column headings. If I wanted to put a formula in H5 on every tab, can it be done other than manually opening every tab and typing it? One additional question: If I add a Summary Tab, how could I show the value of a specific cell on each tab without manually entering it? I show the formula I'm using bring B3 to the summary for every tab: A B 1 Unit Value 2 1 ='1'!B3 3 2 ='2'!B3 4 3 ='3'!B3 5 4 ='4'!B3 6 5 ='5'!B3 7...

How do I link data to a chart from multiple worksheets?
I've created a graph that I want to show data from multiple sheets in the workbook. How do I do that? There are limits to how you can combine data from different sheets. This article describes them. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DF7D186-9426-4B54-A322-FE485FD20529@microsoft.com... > I've created a graph that I want to...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

Conditional Formatting based on deadlines #2
Excellent! Thanks! My brain gets confused between what you can use i formulas and what can be used in VBA. Alex Delamain Wrote: > Under conditional formatting set condition 1 > Formula is =+$E2<=NOW()+7 > > Then apply your forma -- madblok ----------------------------------------------------------------------- madbloke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27448 NOW() has a date and time component TODAY() has only a date component Ok, incorpo...

CRM 1-2 -> 3.0 Input string was not in a correct format. (upgrade
I've the same error during the upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0. I've tried without any opportunity to make sure not to have est. revenue data but the error is still there during upgrade. It happens during the ImportDefaultDataAction step near the end of the upgarde process. Otherwise 1.2 wasn't giving the error. Any idea? thanks in advance Refering to http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/Newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?query=input+string&dg=microsoft.public.crm&cat=&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=8d3f188d-a0E9-40e4-86e2-46508a35c759&...

Need help with a formula 01-23-10
I am looking for a formula that will compute an average of a number of non contiguous cells such as G8, G16, G24, G36, etc. Each of these cells has a formula which computes an average of a range of cells. With the helpm of this forum, I have been able to find a formula which does that AND uses values only when they are greater than zero and does not display #DIV/0!. But I cannot fin a fromula that will do the next step- Take an average of those specific cells AND use only the ones where the cell is >0, Example G8=100, G16=85, G24 is blank, G36=75, then this formula would ca...

Count if based on 2 criteria
I am attempting to summarize some data based on the values in 2 different cells. Example Count the number of rows where column A = xyz and column U = "this is a test" I know the countif statement can't do multiple criteria, but is it possible to use nested countif statements, or use some combination of AND or IF statements? Thank you Answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions. Please do not post the same question separately to multiple newsgroups. It fragments the thread, and leads to people wasting time constructing answers to questions that have already be...

http://NUTS:5555/MSCRMServices request failed: Critical condition.
SBS 2k3 install fully sp'd. Clean install of CRM 3.0. The error below is being mailed at regular intervals from monitoring. http://NUTS:5555/MSCRMServices request failed: Critical condition. HTTP Status: 400 Error: Cannot find server or DNS Error Response Time (msec): 0. Also in the event log the following: - (WMI Status: 0 )Event Type: Warning Event Source: W3SVC Event Category: None Event ID: 1009 Date: 28/04/2006 Time: 20:59:53 User: N/A Computer: NUTS Description: A process serving application pool 'CRMAppPool' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '8256&#...

Multiple email
Hi Could the same account/contact have multiple email address. If so,how do we seperate the email address by semicolon or comma? Any body has had this thought? Please share. Thanks I would organize my data so that an Account is the company and for each email address I would make a child Contact for that account. If you have one contact that has multiple email addresses, you can add them to a custom field on the contact form, but you won't be able to use them to send email from within CRM since CRM uses only a contact's primary email address. Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.bl...

Urgent Formula!
I would like to count the text in a column (COUNTIF (A:A,"Monday")) then for it to add a figure from another cell / column if it meets the text criteria (eg. Monday) from the column Thanks! Hi Peter not really sure of what you're after, but maybe =IF(COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")>1,COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+B1,0) or =COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+IF(B1="Monday",10,0) Cheers JulieD "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:662DCE2C-6067-4580-A66F-5E922B4038EC@microsoft.com... >I would like to...

match destination formatting
Is there a way for me to set "Match Destination Formatting" when I am pasting text into Outlook & Word? ...

Simultaneously Formatting Charts
In Excel 2002 is it possible to format more than one chart at a time or do they have to each be formatted individually? Is it possible to format one chart and apply the formatting to other existing charts? I have a series of charts that need the same formatting and I'm looking for a ay to only do it once and thus save a lot of time. Thanks! You can format one chart Select that chart, and copy it Select another chart, anc choose Edit>Paste Special Select Formats, click OK Select another chart, and press the F4 key, to repeat the previous action. Artsy wrote: > In Excel 2002 is...

COUNTIF ? with multiple conditions
My table looks like this: A B C Blue Chair Plastic Green Chair Plastic Blue Table Wood Blue Stool Plastic Green Chair Wood I want to create calculations of the number of - Blue Plastic Chairs - Blue Wooden Chairs - Green Plastic Chairs - Green Wooden Chairs - Blue Plastic Tables - Blue Wooden Tables etc Help. I am using Excel 2002. All help hugely appreciated. GW =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A100="Blue")*(C1:C100="Plastic")*(B1:B100="Chair") etc. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... look...