Conditional Formatting - formats cells with no data

I have a row of cells that calculate the totals for their columns but I
force to be blank via IF statements until certain conditions are met.
Once these conditions are met, the total appears.  I'd like to also
highlight these total cells via conditional formatting.  My conditional
formatting input is simply "If Cell is Greater than 0, format".  For
some reason all the cells format as though they are all > 0 yet they
don't display anything.  Are there some internal rules that specifiy
when a cell is really 0?  Is there another way to do this that won't
care what the formula is behind the scenes?  All the cells in question
are foratted as "accounting"

Thanks,
Mike

0
minspu20 (1)
2/24/2006 10:52:46 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Rather than "IF cell > 0" in your formula, you could try
"IF(NOT(ISBLANK(cell)))" then choose the conditional format.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
2/24/2006 11:46:07 PM
There are a number of ways that you could attack this, testing for "",
rounding to 2 or 0 decimal places, but it is probably best if you show the
formula that populates the cell first.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"mikey" <minspu20@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> I have a row of cells that calculate the totals for their columns but I
> force to be blank via IF statements until certain conditions are met.
> Once these conditions are met, the total appears.  I'd like to also
> highlight these total cells via conditional formatting.  My conditional
> formatting input is simply "If Cell is Greater than 0, format".  For
> some reason all the cells format as though they are all > 0 yet they
> don't display anything.  Are there some internal rules that specifiy
> when a cell is really 0?  Is there another way to do this that won't
> care what the formula is behind the scenes?  All the cells in question
> are foratted as "accounting"
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Gantt Chart in Excel. Do I need conditional formatting?
Hello all. I have created a Gantt chart that shows approx. 15 tasks in each project. I am using this to show percentage of completion for each task. It is working just fine and looks great but I need it to insert a date when a task is at 100% completion to show the client the date that particular task was completed. How would I do this without ruining my chart I already have working fine? I know this is probably easy to do but I cannot seem to keep the rest of the chart intact. Is conditional formatting the answer? Thanks! You could use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to do this: h...

multiple conditional formats
How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats You can't. You would have to use a VBA macro to apply the formatting, which would be static and not change with changes in the cell values -- you'd have to run the macro again. On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:57:03 -0700, "RC" <RC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:57:03 -0700, "RC" <RC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I set up a worksheet for more than 3 conditional formats You can use ...

Percentage format lost
I have a form with an unbound text box whose row source type is this select query: SELECT CheckFinalPercentages.AllocType, CheckFinalPercentages.[Master-Sub], CheckFinalPercentages.SumOfPERCOUT AS Pct FROM CheckFinalPercentages ORDER BY CheckFinalPercentages.AllocType DESC , CheckFinalPercentages.[Master-Sub]; The query runs fine and returns the SumOfPERCOUT in percent format when I run the query...it used to return it in percent format also on the form, but I must have done something that made me lose it. Now, each time I open the form, the third column is returned in number format (1...

remember path when linking many GIFs to cells?
When I link a number of GIF images residing in a different directory to Excel 2002 cells, the program does not remember the last directory it looked in when a new link is entered. Is there a way to set up a default path for this boring operation? Thanks, z.entropic ...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

Posting new data to PM & RM before year-end or fiscal period close
Hi GP Users, If I have already posted some new data before closing the old financial year, what are the possible problems that may happen when I close it? Any solutions to that? Thanks Andrew ...

Determine if another cell is hidden in a Formula
Hi! I would like to display a special message in a cell when another cell is hidden. Is it possible? Something like (in cell A2): =If(IsHidden(A1), A1, "") I guess I could do it with a user function... but if I use that in a lot of cells (hundreds) it might significantly slow down the refresh speed... Any thoughts ? J Whales ...

Display Sheetname in a cell
I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions). Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a formula? I tried putting Function GetSheetName() As String GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name End Function in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to re-evaluate. Suggestions? -- Clif Try this: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("fil...

Hyperlink directly to a cell in a worksheet
Hi there, I'd like to hyperlink directly to a cell in a spreadsheet (spreadsheet opens to a specific cell selected). The link I'm using opens the spreadsheet, but it goes to the same cell everytime. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any help. Here's what the link I'm using looks like: www.myserver.com/Payroll_Risks_&_Controls.xls#='Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3'!$A$27 Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3 is the name of the worksheet and A27 is the cell I want to go to. ...

Need help removing characters in multiple cells
I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way I can remove the paranethesis? Here is an example: K-Mart (ABC#73846365) and I want to have just the following K-Mart Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the paranethesis. Thanks Select the range to fix. Edit|replace what: _(* (spacebar, open paren, asterisk) with: (leave blank) replace all It looked like you'd want to remove the space character after the t in k-mart. "<----- Mardm...

drag and drop problem with cell references
i have a cell with a formula in one worksheet that references another cell. the formula looks like this: =IF((ISBLANK('Draft'!$D25)),"",'Draft'!$D25) where 'draft' is another worksheet in my workbook. the formula works fine, it looks empty if there is nothing in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), otherwise it mirrors the content of that cell. If i type something in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), it still works great. But if i drag something to the referenced cell than the formula gets screwed up and replaces the $D25, with #ref. I am gue...

Conditional formatting of text
Greetings, all - I am creating a simple spreadsheet template to be distributed to users for data entry purposes. The first column contains the names of the desired data elements. The second column contains the definition for each data element. The definitions are formatted in red text. I intend for the user to remove the definition and replace it with the proper information for each element. For example: Data Element Definition 1.0 LastName The last name of the person to whom questions about the sample should be directed. The user would replace ...

One Line of Data Per Page of Report
When viewing/printing reports reports we are only getting one line of data per page. So instead of having a 5 page report with 60 entires we have a 60 page report with 1 entry per page. Is there an easy way to solve this probelm? We are not very familar with access and need this problem solved. Thanks! On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:07:03 -0800, Coutu <Coutu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When viewing/printing reports reports we are only getting one line of data >per page. So instead of having a 5 page report with 60 entires we have a 60 >page report with 1 entry per pag...

Linked Cell Property In Activex controls
Can someone point me to an example showing how this property can be used, linking, as an example, an option button to a specific cell? Say if I wanted "1" to appear in cell B2 of the worksheet if the option button is clicked KG, The option button puts TRUE or FALSE into its Linked Cell. You can get 1 or 0 out of that by referring to it with double negation operators. = --A1 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924E6B40-6040-4016-B75B...

format changes on pivot table although preserve formatting is che.
Post the question the body of the message, subject lines get truncated -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aannd" <Aannd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:282F34F1-42CA-4F0A-8A62-A71C64E30741@microsoft.com... > ...

Signature format changes in replies with Outlook 2007
Hi We are using Outlook 2007 and are finding that our signatures will sometimes change font and spacing in reply messages. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks ...

Publisher File formats
I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I save the file I still get the pub extension after the .tif' Can I not save in anything but pub? Thanks Ray, It would help us to answer your question if you told us which version of Publisher you are using. -- JoAnn Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. --Emile-August Chartier "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006101c3dc62$7649ce40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I > save the f...

Removing Blank Cells #3
I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank columns and rows from a worksheet. There really is no need for this many blank rows in the workpaper I am working on and I assume it contributes to the overall size of the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. Hi you can't remove them (you can hide them if you like9. Also they do not add up to the size of your worksheet 8at least as long as your used range is correct) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Mortenson wrote: > I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank > columns and rows from a works...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Conditional Format #23
I want to format the background of cell to a10 red if a10 is currently empty and the length of the string in a5 is 1. Can somone offer the correct syntax for the conditional format of a10 as everything I try fails. Thanks, Fred You need a condition of Formula is and a formula of =AND(A10="",LEN(A5)=1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EBDDC73-FED7-451F-BCF3-A0E819888027@microsoft.com... > I want to format the background of cell to a10 red if a10 is currently...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

how to create a field based on many different conditions
Hi, I'm trying to create a field based on many different conditions in Make Table Query in Access 2003, e.g., if VAR1 and VAR2 meet certain condition, assign a value "A" to the new field "Category"; if VAR1 and VAR2 meet other condition, assign a value "B" to "Category" so on and so forth. I keep getting separate field for each condition, something like "Expr1023". Please help! Thank you! Since you haven't provided the expression or SQL statement, I will assume it is quite complex. I would remove the complexity from the query ...

##### in a cell?
While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? Usually a number that does not fit in a cell, maybe a date (try to adjust column width) a negative time (A1-A2 where A1 holds 09:00 and A2 10:00) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EA40C2B-1E45-4CDE-81A8-D40794F381B8@microsoft.com... > While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:23:02 -0700, "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >While using excel what does ##### mean in a ce...

Adding cells with a particular comment
Hi all, is there any simple to add all cells in a row which have a particular comment without using macro. pls help. Regards, NC HI, Use the SumIF function -- anurag. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- anurag.d's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=895 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31476 well i can use it for particular values but how to use it with comments. My problem is a particular comment for e.g "reject" or "accept" ia added to that cell, & ...

[External Copy or SYLK] file format is not valid
I am moving to a new computer. I have WIN98SE on my old computer and WIN XP on the new one. I have Excel 97 and I am trying to transfer my data to the new computer. I get the above message when I try to open a file in XP. What is the problem? Thanks in advance, Bill. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...