Conditional Formating based on other cell values??

Is there a way to apply formatting to one cell based on the conditions of
another cell?  For example, if A1 is equal to 10 then format C1 to red text.

Is there any way to do that.  Please let me know either way.
Thanks,

Dan

0
none89 (807)
11/13/2003 8:18:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html

With your example, select cell C1, and in the conditional formatting
dialog box, use the formula:
     =$A1=10

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/13/2003 8:31:05 PM
That did it.  Thanks!!

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> There are instructions here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html
>
> With your example, select cell C1, and in the conditional formatting
> dialog box, use the formula:
>      =$A1=10
>
> Dan B wrote:
> > Is there a way to apply formatting to one cell based on the conditions
of
> > another cell?  For example, if A1 is equal to 10 then format C1 to red
text.

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

none89 (807)

Conditional charts
Is there a way to change the color of a chart bar based on the value of the cell that generates that particular bar? In other words, I have a chart with 15 vertical bars and I want to change the color of one or more of the bars if its value goes above 100% (but not all of the bars). JWeinberg Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart Jeff wrote: > Is there a way to change the color of a chart bar based on the value of the > cell that generates that particular bar? In other words, I have a chart > wi...

transfer inbox in table format to word
In my older version I could cut and paste the table format in Outlook to a word file. Now I don't seem to be able to do it although I can print the file in that format within Outlook. When I export the inbox to word I get the whole text not just the headings. Is it possible to transfer the table format to a word file? ...

Wrapping text in a cell
In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz: Case One Case Two How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point? Thanks! If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each string to indicate where you want a line break to occur. Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two Alt + Enter -- Lilliabeth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476428 If you...

Locking Formulas to Cells
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology but this is what want to do: I have placed formulas in multiple columns that calculat my sales numbers for a bid. The problem I am running into is that change the bids for every person and when I clear a cell is clears th formula from it as well. Is there a way for me to clear cells withou deleting the formula I have placed inside it? I know that I can jus grab the first cell in the column and drag it down to re-load th formula in that column but I don't want to have to do that. I want th formulas permenant and the data I enter...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Create interactive pivot table chart based on item selected
I'm trying to remember how to drag a chart object to the top left cell of a pivot table thus displaying a charted image of the detail item selected. Any suggestions? ...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

reflecting values in a column into a row
I am creating a chart to map a round-robin chess game. If there are 4 players, then all 4 has to play one another. if I have the names John Mike Sally Bill Then I'd like to type them into a columns and write a formula in a row to pick up the names the spreadsheet should then look like this: John Mike Sally Bill John Mike Sally Bill I think it may be achieved with the Indirect() function, but my Excel 2007 help seems broken and I can't figure it out without an example. Thanks. MikeB With names in A2:A5 Enter in B1 =INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN(B1)) Or...

Question Regarding Excel 2007 Formatting Corruption

Count occurrances with conditions
I am trying to count in 3 columns. Column A will have entries of "B or "S" and columns B and C will have "1" or "0". A B C B 0 1 B 1 0 B 1 1 S 1 1 I want to count how many times column C has a 1 with a B or S. That i no problem, I can do that. I also want to count the number of time column B has a 1 with a B or S. That is no problem, I can do that. However, the third count I want to count is when a 1 appears in bot column B and...

if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.
I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity. Then I have a summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month. Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual average for each entity, just one line per entity. My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A. I have a formula averaging the numbers from worksheet A. Jan-Mar is done. But the rest of the year hasn't happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!". I have already put in all the formulas for the year to be done with it. But I don'...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

Evaluate Yes/No Field Based on User Input
Hi. I have a field that is set to Yes/No. I want to ask the user a question and based on their response (whether they type yes or no) I want the query to check the field and return all records marked yes is they type yes and all other records if they type no. How can I do this? Also, could I present them with a simple text box (having yes and no choices) or maybe a check box so they won't have to type anything? If you help me with the first part, this question is a bonus. I'll be happy with just the first question answered. Thanks! A Yes/No field actually stores -...

Export Format not avaiable
"The Format in which you are attempting to output the currentobject is not available." I hate access sometimes. It just get's weird, throwing bogus error messages all over the place. I have about 30 seperate queries that I run out to spreadsheets via macro. I have already found out that things can get all screwed up, (meaning it bombs) when those spreadsheets already exist, so the first thing I do is delete the existing spreadsheets, then let them rip. I run into this every once in a while: 20 or so queries into my macro, a query will fail with the above er...

column value translation
I'm sorry if this is already here somewhere, but I could't find any references. I need to upload a list of people into our computer system and this list is comprised of their names and the code for the branch where they work. The computer system into which I need to upload this list will not recognize the current branch ID code for those employees, but I do have a list that is basically a comparison of the two different codes. For example branch code 800 on the list equals branch code C001 in the system. I need to get a way in excel to convert all the branch codes that are next...

Fill cells with interpolated values
Hi What is the easiest way to fill cells with linear interpolated values ? e.g. i have value 5 in cell A1, and value 15 in cell A6. Cells A2 ... A5 should now be filles with 7, 9, 11, 13. of course, it's not a big deal to write a formula for interpolation, but maybe there is more simple way, (just by some mouse clicks....?) Biff Select the range A1:A6 with your start and stop value in their respective cells, and then do Edit / Fill / Series / Trend / Linear -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

xy scatter format
Hi Hope someone can help. I have a chart i want to make look a little more professional. The chart plots three points within two boxes. the points should be inside the box box 1 has the following coordinates x y 15 70000 15 115000 21.5 155800 30 155800 30 115000 25 70000 15 70000 the chart scale is x 14-32 & y 60000-160000 I would like to make the plot area outside the box black to indicate the no go area. Is this possible? Then to take it further there should be a further smaller box (coordinates unimportant) inside the 1st box to indicate a warning. I would like the plot area ...

XML Deserialize of empty value

Extracting the month that a date refers to in another cell
In cell A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting). In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003. In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as "Sat" which is correct. In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan". Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? TIA, Alan =TEXT(A1,"mmm") for 3-letter month name and =TEXT(A1,"ddd") for 3-letter day name. where A1 houses a...

How to add a drop down menu to a cell
How to add a drop down menu to a cell? hi, you don't add it to a cell. It's a control in the toolbox and it sits on top of the sheet. Tools>customize>toolbar tab>select control toolbox. it's called a combo box. click it and drag it to the sheet. for more help on combo boxes, type combo box in help. >-----Original Message----- >How to add a drop down menu to a cell? >. > You can do it. Take a look at Data>Validation, see this site for full details http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing d...

condional formating count question
Hi, I have a row in which I have a condition that if two numbers are identical its formating the 2nd number in Red Font, Is there a way or formula that I can use to count these red font Numbers? Thanks in advance for you help, It is best to use the same means in a formula that you used to make the font RED in the first place rather than trying to use a function to check the color of a cell. You can take a look at Chip Pearson's page, Functions For Working With Cell Colors http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm for counting cells in a range with involving normal cell coloring for ...