conditional formating #11

Here is what I want it to happen:

There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number in
A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
"format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.

0
minimus (27)
5/12/2009 2:55:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

um... why not just use an "IF" statement in A2...?

On May 12, 10:55=A0am, "minimus" <mini...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> Here is what I want it to happen:
>
> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number i=
> A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.

0
djramz (9)
5/12/2009 2:57:38 PM
Unless it is the COLOR of the text that changes, you can't use
conditional formatting. You would have to use an IF statement instead.

minimus wrote:

> Here is what I want it to happen:
>
> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number
> in A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.

0
birelan (531)
5/12/2009 3:25:11 PM
"ramz" <djramz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> um... why not just use an "IF" statement in A2...?
>
> On May 12, 10:55 am, "minimus" <mini...@live.co.uk> wrote:
>> Here is what I want it to happen:
>>
>> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number
>> in
>> A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
>> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
>> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.

How can I do this with the IF statement in A2?

I mean

if A1=1 then A2="number is one"
if A1=0 then A2="number is zero"

Can I do such a thing?

0
minimus (27)
5/12/2009 3:25:33 PM
IF ( <condition is true>,<condition is false>)

you can nest if statements if there are more than 2 possible
conditions of the data in A1. You just have to think logically.

On May 12, 11:25=A0am, "minimus" <mini...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> "ramz" <djr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > um... why not just use an "IF" statement in A2...?
>
> > On May 12, 10:55 am, "minimus" <mini...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Here is what I want it to happen:
>
> >> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the numbe=
> >> in
> >> A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
> >> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change th=
> >> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.
>
> How can I do this with the IF statement in A2?
>
> I mean
>
> if A1=3D1 then A2=3D"number is one"
> if A1=3D0 then A2=3D"number is zero"
>
> Can I do such a thing?

0
djramz (9)
5/12/2009 3:34:31 PM
If 1 or 0 are your only possible inputs for A1

Entered in A2

=IF(A1=1,"number is one","number is zero")

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:25:33 +0200, "minimus" <minimus@live.co.uk> wrote:

>"ramz" <djramz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> um... why not just use an "IF" statement in A2...?
>>
>> On May 12, 10:55 am, "minimus" <mini...@live.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Here is what I want it to happen:
>>>
>>> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number
>>> in
>>> A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
>>> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
>>> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.
>>

>How can I do this with the IF statement in A2?
>
>I mean
>
>if A1=1 then A2="number is one"
>if A1=0 then A2="number is zero"
>
>Can I do such a thing?

0
Gord
5/12/2009 3:40:16 PM
"minimus" <minimus@live.co.uk> wrote in message
> Here is what I want it to happen:
>
> There is a number in cell A1 and a text in A2. When I change the number in
> A1 I want the "text" change in A2.
> How can I do this with conditional formatting? I know how to change the
> "format" of A2, but what I want is a change of the text in A2.

Thanks all!!!

I did it. I used "if" to change text, and "conditional formatting" to change
the format of the cell.

0
minimus (27)

Change default font format in Excel
I have an existing workbook with cell text entries in regular black font. I want to make a number of additional entries in various cells in this workbook, and I want all my text entries to be a different font format (bold, red). Is there a way to do this automatically without highlighting each entry I make and manually changing the cell format? Thanks. Michael, Copy the code below, right-click on your sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste the code in the window that appears. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Cou...

Date format issue when submitting from a userform to a spreadsheet
Hi, I have a userform that I've generated which routes dates onto a spreadsheet based on the users input. I am having a bit of a frustrating time with the dates, it would appear that in the process of moving the date from the userform to the spreadsheet some dates are switched/transposed. I'll give an example. If someone enters 09/02/2004 on the userform excel seems to look at 09 and assume it is a month and transposes the dates to 02/09/2004(this does not appear to be a US/UK format issues as I have already gone down that road). However, if the date 13/09/2004 is entered i...

Hello 04-11-10
Hello Haw do you do? ...

How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11
My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So... How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to an older version? I found these instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePl...

Pivot Table formatting #6
When I format my pivot tables I have "preserve formatting" checked under "PivotTable Options", and "Autoformat Table" unchecked. Even so, I either lose portions of my formatting, or different formatting is applied when I refresh. Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly or have any other suggestions? Thanks, Phil Other things to try -- if they don't work, you could record a macro as you refresh and reformat the pivot table. Then, run that when you want to update. --Instead of selecting the cells to format the numbers, right-click the field but...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Auto formatting features: How do I align page numbers in publicati
I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can someone help me? Cissy99 wrote: > I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to > the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can > someone help me? You need to create a two-page master rather than a one-page master. What version of Publisher are you running? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Formatting
I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible in Live Mail. Nope. I'm afraid that's only possible using Outlook. In WLM you have to use the built in editor. Is there anything in particular that's lacking from the built in editor that you're looking for? Colin Brown WL MVP "jrchambe" <jrchambe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EC21892-D39F-4219-AB0F-47BC14E1CD36@microsoft.com... > I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible > in > Live Mail. "...

Formating
Hi, In a Column 'A' sales Commission is calculated and resulta is as 250, 200, 300, 330. I wanted to format a cell with a Blinking colours where value is 100 to 250, 250 to 300, 300 to 350 and 350 & above. please help to format my sheet ... thanks Ismail, Getting your cells to "blink" is not in the standard Excel formats What you want would require some extensive programming, certainly, ou of my capabilities. However, there are some great things you can do with Excel' CONDITIONAL FORMATTING. Let's say in column A you have numbers that are the result of formu...

Date Format turn to Year
Hi, I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years later. =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. Your help would be much apprecated. Thanks What's in A1? Are you sure it's a real date? "learning_codes@hotmail.com" wrote: > > Hi, > > I tried to convert the date to YEAR and then the year plus 25 Years > later. > > =Year(A1) I'm getting the result 1900 instead of 1965. > > I tried to add 25 years later to 1990 from 1965. > > Your ...

Background changes conditionally
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet that shows the floor plan layout of my call centre. On each desk, the desk number and identity are displayed. I would like to colour the background for those pcs that are on the same subnet. I have a sheet called data - it contains Table Number, Desk Number, PC ID, IP Address. How could I get it to change the background colour if the pc is on subnet 162, and set a different colour for those on subnet 167 any ideas? -- PeterG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PeterG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.p...

Opening and formating a CSV file?
Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not 'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each comma-separated field in its own column? -- Terry, West Sussex, UK Try renaming your .csv file to .txt Terry Pinnell wrote: > > Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed > the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data > goes straight into the worksheet...

Problem access variable in On Format
Hi, I'm using Access via Office XP Pro. I am trying to format the Zip Code on the detail line of my report. I have tried the following lines of code in both the On Format event and the On Print event: If len([PostalCode]) > 5 Then : : end if or if len(Me.PostalCode) > 5 Then : : end if In both events and either code, I receive the error message: Access can't find the field 'PostalCode' referred to in your expression. If I put "PostalCode" as the source of the report's control...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

time #11
I have set up a spreadsheet with time based on what our company truck drivers work. We work under a DOT rule of 70 hours / 8 days. That means that the driver can not work more than 70 hours in an 8 day period. The sheets I have (one for each month) goes back 7 days plus the current day and calculated how many hours a day the driver works and subtracts it from 70, leaving how many hours they can work the next day. If the calculation gets to 0 or above, the cell changes color to alert me that the driver's 70 hours are up and he/she has to have 34 hours off before he/she can be on duty ...

format a CD
Hi, how can I format a cd+rw re writeable disc aga ...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

SUMIF with two conditions ?
:cool: OK I have tried just about everything and can not find the righ combination for seems like a simple problem: IN A1 IF N79:N83 >=1 AND IF N79:N83 <=7 THEN SUM K79:N8 -- Calvi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Calvin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=590 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26341 Hi Calvin one way =SUMPRODUCT(--(N79:N83>=1),--(N79:N83<=7),N79:N83) Cheers JulieD "Calvin" <Calvin.1d4dfz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message...

how to format and print labels from an excel file
I have an excel list of people with 12 cells of information. I want to format and print "name tags" (labels?) using only the information in four cells. How can I do this? You can print labels in Excel but formatting can be a problem. Best to use Word for the mailmerge operation and select the 4 labels to print during the setup in Word. For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm And a t...

publisher 2002 #11
In publisher 97 you were able to ungroup clipart and recolor piece by piece and make it your own by using Microsoft Draw. How can I do this in Publisher 2002? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from addey <addeym2002@yahoo.com>... > In publisher 97 you were able to ungroup clipart and > recolor piece by piece and make it your own by using > Microsoft Draw. How can I do this in Publisher 2002? Click the picture Arrange > Grouping > Ungroup Click Yes on the dialog The tools that were previously provided by Microsoft Draw have been i...

Remove format link?
Is there a way to remove the format link between fields in Modifier? Help just shows how to set it and the usual stuff doesn't seem to be working. ...

conditional formmating
In conditional formatting I would like a certain row of dates to turn a colour when a report is sue in 60 days and they a different colour when there due in 30 days. Also included in the formula I need the colour to remain blank if there are no dates in the column In A9 I have the date 1/Nov/2009 In B10 I have =A9+15 and this is copied across to L9 So I have a row of dates in 15 day steps I selected A9:L9 and used this formula in the Conditional Formatting dialog =A9>TODAY()+60 (colour red) Then I added =A9>TODAY()+30 (color blue) So I want to know what dates are 60 day...

Word doc format
I tried to email a word attachment written on office for mac 2008 home version, but the recipient couldn't open the doc. recipient using windows xp. rlciii@officeformac.com <rlciii@officeformac.com> wrote: > I tried to email a word attachment written on office for mac 2008 home > version, but the recipient couldn't open the doc. recipient using windows > xp. If they don't have a recent version of Windows Office, they may not be able to open a .docx file. Choose File > Save As and save as a .doc file. -- Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois adamb@lull.org | Finge...

Currency Format Lost in Union Query
Thanks to John Spencer, I resolved one problem in my union query (Thank you, John). But I have another problem. Some of my fields in my union query are currencies and others percents. I see both formats are lost. I am sure it is a union query problem, because when I ran an individual query, none of the formats were lost. Is there any way I can keep currency and percent formats without writing, FORMATCURRENCY, etc for each field? Thank you. What data types are these fields? The field in a UNION query will normally take on the data type of the field in the first SELECT. So, if ...