Combining multiple cells into a single cell

Is there a way to combine multiple cells in Excel 2000 into a single cell.

This what I'm trying to do:

combine data from column's a b c where column a contains 12345 colum b
contains 78 column c contains 90 into a combined column that contains
1234567890

Thanks for any help on this matter.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Antonio!

Use:

=A1&B1&C1

But this returns the concatenation as text and not a number.

If you want a number then use:

=--(A1&B1&C1)

The double negative is the same as multiplying by -1 twice and Excel
will try (successfully) to evaluate the text as a number. Its the same
as:

=VALUE(A1&B1&C1)

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"Antonio Stroman" <avidreader@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to combine multiple cells in Excel 2000 into a single
cell.

> This what I'm trying to do:
>
> combine data from column's a b c where column a contains 12345 colum
> contains 78 column c contains 90 into a combined column that
contains
> 1234567890
>
> Thanks for any help on this matter.

0
njharker (1646)
1/9/2004 3:41:36 PM
=Concatenate(A1, B1, C1)

In article <2RzLb.6138$K6.2551@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
 "Antonio Stroman" <avidreader@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to combine multiple cells in Excel 2000 into a single cell.
>
> This what I'm trying to do:
>
> combine data from column's a b c where column a contains 12345 colum b
> contains 78 column c contains 90 into a combined column that contains
> 1234567890
>
> Thanks for any help on this matter.

Hi Tony

When I am doing this sort of thing, I usually creat a sheet called First and
one called Last.
I drag these sheets to the positions required to give the range of sheets I
wish to enclose.
Then the generic formula
=SUM(First:Last!yourcell) can be used in any calculations you require.

Once the sheets are in position, you can Hide the sheets if required,
without affecting the formula.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"Tony Kenck" <kenckardonotgivespam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> =Concatenate(A1, B1, C1)
>

> In article <2RzLb.6138$K6.2551@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
>  "Antonio Stroman" <avidreader@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to combine multiple cells in Excel 2000 into a single
cell.

> > This what I'm trying to do:
> >
> > combine data from column's a b c where column a contains 12345 colum b
> > contains 78 column c contains 90 into a combined column that contains
> > 1234567890
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this matter.

0
roger1109 (65)
2/12/2004 10:33:09 AM
Hey Roger, this message from you was appended to a response I had to
someone lese about their problem instead of to my original question
about referenccing the current tab name. I responded over there.

Thanks,
Tony

In article <uctrkOV8DHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
 "Roger Govier" <roger@technology4uNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Tony
>
> When I am doing this sort of thing, I usually creat a sheet called First and
> one called Last.
> I drag these sheets to the positions required to give the range of sheets I
> wish to enclose.
> Then the generic formula
> =SUM(First:Last!yourcell) can be used in any calculations you require.
>
> Once the sheets are in position, you can Hide the sheets if required,
> without affecting the formula.
>
> --
> Regards
> Roger Govier
> "Tony Kenck" <kenckardonotgivespam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > =Concatenate(A1, B1, C1)
> >

> > In article <2RzLb.6138$K6.2551@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
> >  "Antonio Stroman" <avidreader@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to combine multiple cells in Excel 2000 into a single
> cell.
> > >
> > > This what I'm trying to do:
> > >
> > > combine data from column's a b c where column a contains 12345 colum b
> > > contains 78 column c contains 90 into a combined column that contains
> > > 1234567890
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help on this matter.

Hi Tony
I've no idea how this happened, I responded to a posting of yours regarding
"Adding through Multiple Sheets"
I have re-posted it to that thread
--
> Hey Roger, this message from you was appended to a response I had to
> someone lese about their problem instead of to my original question
> about referenccing the current tab name. I responded over there.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>

> In article <uctrkOV8DHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
>  "Roger Govier" <roger@technology4uNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tony
> >
> > When I am doing this sort of thing, I usually creat a sheet called First
and
> > one called Last.
> > I drag these sheets to the positions required to give the range of
sheets I
> > wish to enclose.
> > Then the generic formula
> > =SUM(First:Last!yourcell) can be used in any calculations you require.
> >
> > Once the sheets are in position, you can Hide the sheets if required,
> > without affecting the formula.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Roger Govier
> > "Tony Kenck" <kenckardonotgivespam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > =Concatenate(A1, B1, C1)

> > cell.

0
roger1109 (65)

Format a cell as seconds
Is there a way to format cells to appear as seconds. I would like to type 7 and have it generate a 0:00:07. I know that I could use the TIME function for this, but I would need two cells for that. I want to format the cell I'm working in. Thanks! Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Lisa wrote: > Is there a way to format cells to appear as seconds. I > would like to type 7 and have it generate a 0:00:07. I > know that I could use the TIME function for this, but I > would need two cells for tha...

use arrow keys to tab to specific cells
I was able to use my arrow keys to tab to specific cells, now it moves the entire worksheet instead. How to I enable my arrow keys to move to cells? Hi, On the keyboard tap 'Scroll Lock' key. Mike "mary ellen" wrote: > I was able to use my arrow keys to tab to specific cells, now it moves the > entire worksheet instead. How to I enable my arrow keys to move to cells? SCROLL lock is ON. (Key near to Print Screen in your keyboard) Turn it OFF -- Jacob "mary ellen" wrote: > I was able to use my arrow keys to tab to specific c...

Excel 97
I have 2 different pivot tables, each with a total. If I select both totals using Office 2003, the SUM of the 2 cells appears in the bottom right of the spreadsheet. If I try to select the same 2 cells using Office 97, nothing happens and the cells are not selected. Can anyone confirm whether or not this function is only available with Office 2000 or later? ...

Creating a High-Low-Close chart with multiple series?
Hi Everyone, I’m trying to create a High-Low-Close stock chart with 2 data series. Right now, I can only get the chart to plot a single data series. I’ve spent some time playing with the chart options and doing some internet research but still I haven’t found any answers. My data looks something like this: Stock A Date High Low Close 6/30/2005 5 3 4 7/30/2005 10 6 8 8/30/2005 8 7 7.5 9/30/2005 9 2 5.5 10/30/2005 6 3 4.5 Stock B Date High Low Close 6/30/2005 50 30 40 7/30/2005 100 60 80 8/30/2005 80 70 75 9/30/2005 90 20 55 10/30/2005 60 30 45 Any thoughts? Thanks! ...

Multiple Unrelated Queries In One Report or Form?
Hey guys, I posted this question earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared in the forum for whatever reason so I'm having to repost. I'm trying to generate a report for my boss that shows the number of orders placed for each month over the past year as well as the value of those orders. However, I also need to show to number and value of purchase orders, quotes, enquiries and discrepancy reports. The individual queries are all straight forward and they're not what's taxing me. The problem is that they are all unrelated and I don't know how to get...

changing multiple custom headers at once
Hi I would like to be able to make the same change to multiple headers that are custom in several sheets of the same workbook is this possible? Thanks Karl Hi just select all these sheets before changing the header/footer (hold down the CTRL key while selecting the sheets) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Karl wrote: > Hi I would like to be able to make the same change to multiple > headers that are custom in several sheets of the same workbook is > this possible? Thanks Karl Karl Right-click on a sheet tab and "Select all Sheets". Make your changes to...

excel copy cells to word template
I have a large workbook and I want to copy cells from one sheet called Menu to a specific word template called PDC_MCC_IR.dot and save the word template as a word document. I have a bit of code that can open a word document and past information from cells in the word document but I need help for the rest. Can anyone help me. Here is the code that I already have. Sub Excel_to_Word() Dim appWord As Word.Application Set appWord = New Word.Application appWord.Visible = True Range("b4:c10").Copy appWord.Documents.Add.Content.Paste Application.CutCopyMode ...

Print ascending number on multiple printed cpoies
I am using Excel to print labels on a Thermal label printer (a roll of labels). If I print out say 10 copies I want each label to print out in a certain cell the copy number starting from 1 on the first label to 10 on the tenth label. How can I do this? -- cbwood ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cbwood's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23735 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374086 ...

Last Cell
Is there a way to change the which cell Excel tracks as the last cell? Thanks! Hi not quite sure what you'e looking for?. If you have to re-set the used range try http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Allison wrote: > Is there a way to change the which cell Excel tracks as > the last cell? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >Hi >not quite sure what you'e looking for?. If you have to re- set the used >range try >http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused > >-- >Regards >Frank Kabel >F...

How to combine cells into one
I am trying to map a product list to a template for their my website ecommerce app. my product fields don't match up exactly with the website so in some cases I need to consolidate fields. I would like take some columns and combine them into one.. but instead of taking 1,2,3 into 123 I want to add some text and stuff in between... ie, some of the columns I have are measurements so the numbers alone might be meaning less. I'm not really excel savvy but I tried =B2&othercolumns, but the problem with this is there are no spaces. I tried adding spaces before and or a...

Concatenate multiple lines
Excel 2007 I have a whole spreadsheet with paragraphs of text in multiple cells (line per cell). For each column, I need to concatenate these lines into a single multi-line cell. Currently I'm manually typing in a formula [=a1&b1&c1], then copying and pasting the resulting value. Immensely time consuming. I've tried to use =concatenate(a1:a3), but that produces a #value error. Other than using VBA, is there an easier way to do this? Thanks. Unless I'm missing something, can't you just drag your formula down? If desired, send your fil...

active cell status disappears ??
If I leave the cursor in say C5, and come back to the computer a minute or so later, the Name box shows C5 as the active cell, but the cell isn't referenced anymore ... in other words, it's not "framed" showing that's where the cursor is ... I have to physically click the mouse in a cell to get the "frame" to come back ... This just started happening a week or so ago, on my work computer ... I don't know is someone else might have downloaded a virus or changed the settings ... Help ...??? When Excel itself loses focus (is no longer the active applic...

how do i print single envelope with select contacts name
how do i print one envelope with a select contacts name and address from my outlook contacts? also, - how do i back up my contacts in outlook? - how do i import data from my palm address book into outlook? - when i go to my email address book, the names are listed in alphabetical order according to FIRST name not last. why? how do i change this? ...

Seperating cells and columns
Is there a way to seperate some cells and/or columns so you could have different height cells/columns that are in the same row? thx, Dave -- DRLski ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DRLski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401166 inserts some rows above and below your initial row and merge the ones that need to be higher with cells above and/or below -- Dnereb -------------------------------------------------------------------...

conditional formatting, empty cells
Hi faced to the following problem: Let us asssume that i want to c fin all values in column A with range 3 to 9 and make them red. Everything goes fine when I select the whole column, go to th conditional formatting and use the system: if cell value is not betwee 0-9 make the cell red. The blank cells are not colored BUT: when I use the same system with values between 3-9, the empt cells are colored to red and system is not working. Can anyone explain why this system is working from 0 to eternity an not from 1 to eternity.. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi are these ce...

Cell display in 2007
After revising a formula in Excel 2007, the new number is presented overlaid on top of the previous number in the cell. If I minimize EXCEL and then then maximize, the cell data presents correctly. Formula, Calculation Options is set to Automatic. The size of the spreadsheet/file does not matter. I've only had EXCEL 2007 a few weeks and my PC is new. Our IT shop has changed PC's virtual memory to 5120-8192 with no improvement. There have been reports of a bug in a windows update for office 2007 November 10th Can cause "visual leaking" from one sheet to an...

Seperate two words in a cell
I have a column heading called "Name". Each cell in this column contains the first and the last name. What formula can I use (in 2 new columns called FName and SName) to separate the first name from the last name. Hi, Gary. Use Text to Columns, about 1/3rd the way down this page: http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/an_extreme_tutorial_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Gary" <g45340@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42de4c57$0$8417$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > I have a column heading called "Name&qu...

Multiple copies per sheet
I'm using Publisher 2003. From reading the threads, I've learned how to print multiple copies per sheet when the original copy is smaller than 8.5 " x 11". Is it possible to priint multiple copies per sheet when the original is 8.5" x 11"? For example if I make up a flyer on 8.5' x 11" paper and then want to make reduced size wallet-size pages of the same info., is there a way to have it print 4 or 6 to a page? When I make the original page custom 8.5x11 and go to print, the "Change copies perSheet" option doesn't appear. Is there a ...

How do I copy multiple pages from one Publisher document to anothe
Can anyone tell me how I can copy multiple pages from one Publisher document into another? Copy and paste -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher "Novice Teacher" <NoviceTeacher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE774C02-578A-4333-8B69-21F6B0C8B6F2@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me how I can copy multiple pages from one Publisher > document > into another? Novice Teacher wrote: > Can anyone tell me how I can copy > multiple pages from one Publisher > document into another? ======================== Maybe the following article w...

How can I convert empty strings to empty cells?
Hi there. Hopefully someone can help with something that seems pretty strange. I'm exporting data from access to excel and doing some stuff to the data with pivot tables. In the pivot tables however, blank cells don't register as 'blank' unless I manually go into each cell and hit delete (even though there seems to be nothing there to delete). Here's an example of before: Count of QualityChecked QualityChecked Total (blank) 4 Yes 6 Grand Total 10 and after I delete the data in the seemingly blank cells: Count of QualityChecked QualityChecke...

Email Multiple Recipients
I have a query named "qryEmailList" which consists of two related tables as follows: INVENTOR.InvName INVENTOR.Email INVENTORLIST.InvMtr My code is as follows. This code runs a query named "qryEmailList" and pulls the email address from each record so I can email the list. All works fine, however, I need to add criteria to this query based on Inventor number. If I put a specific Inventor number in the criteria field of the query itself, all works. If I put the prompt "Like "*" & [Enter Inventor Number]" in the criteria field of the query i...

One Result from multiple memo fields 05-03-07
I am an Access newbie, so I am not even sure this can be done... I need a report to pull material listing from a memo field [Notes] or show which jobs have missing materials... My report has the following record source: SELECT dbo_RB_JOBNOTE.JOBID, dbo_RB_JOBNOTE.ID, dbo_RB_JOBNOTE.NOTE, dbo_RB_JOBNOTE.OWNERFULLNAME FROM dbo_RB_JOBNOTE; The report has a Group header on JOBID and a [Material] text field with the following control source: =IIf([NOTE] Like "Material*",[NOTE],"No Material listing found") What I get is a listing of all the notes, ----------------- Example: J...

Importing or opening a set of email addresses so that they are in vertical cells
When I do it now by copying a set of emails on my outlook address bar and past it into excel they are all in one cell. HELP HOW SHOULD I DO THAT? Thanks Hi Use File/Import Export from Outlook and choose 'Excel file' as type. Andy. "Felix" <felix@feacinstitute.org> wrote in message news:1143044573.798729.163680@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > When I do it now by copying a set of emails on my outlook address bar > and past it into excel they are all in one cell. > HELP HOW SHOULD I DO THAT? > Thanks > Andy thanks, but what I need is: I have a w...

Placing query results in a cell
I have a project where I can connect to a database, construct a query within a VBA module: mysql01 = " select ChildID, ChildName " mysql02 = " from tblChild " Now suppose I want to put the results of the query anywhere in the spreadhseet, i.e. in a specific cell. How do I do that? On Nov 26, 4:55=A0pm, Tangier <nitinhemm...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a project where I can connect to a database, construct a query > within a VBA module: > > mysql01 =3D " select ChildID, ChildName " > mysql02 =3D " from tblChild " > > Now suppo...

How to ckeck if a text is larger than the cell ?
Hello. How, by programming, can I check if a text in a cell is too large, and therefore will not be fully displayed ? In order to reduce the font size only when needed. Thank you, Gilbert On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:18:38 +0200, "Gilbert Tordeur" <gilbert.tordeur@orange.fr> wrote: >Hello. > >How, by programming, can I check if a text in a cell is too large, and >therefore will not be fully displayed ? In order to reduce the font size >only when needed. In the Alignment tab, there's a Shrink to Fit option. Would that do it? ...