Combine variable number of columns

I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their
product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In
the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they
indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have
identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from
two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two
columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I
do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, each month, so
am not interested in manually typing all 171 combinations.

0
mack (2)
4/26/2007 8:37:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe you can use an extra column which is a count of the number of
items in the columns covering up to 170, eg:

=COUNT(G2:FT2), or
=COUNTA(G2:FT2)

if your product columns start with G.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 26, 9:37 pm, "Mack Neff" <m...@swairproducts.com> wrote:
> I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their
> product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In
> the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they
> indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have
> identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from
> two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two
> columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I
> do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, each month, so
> am not interested in manually typing all 171 combinations.

0
pashurst (2576)

limit number of rows 7 colloms in a worksheet
is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a worksheet ? thanks david --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "davidbrowne17" <davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com... > is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a > worksheet ? No. All worksheets have 256 columns by 65536 rows. You can hide unused rows/columns. But why bother? Hi David, Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. Adjust to suit the area. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Wo...

NUMBER FORMAT #9
CREATE A NEW NUMBER FORMAT SO THAT THE SELECTED DATES WILL APPEAR ONLY AS THE FULL NAME OF THE DAYS OF THE WEEK. ...

Combining 2 Publisher Files Into 1
Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Phil. Open one file, then run Publisher again open the second file. Both files are open. Add the pages you need to add the pages from the file you want to combine. Copy, paste from one file to the other. Save, you're done. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:185901c49c1d$60824030$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. > > Phil. Phil wrote: > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. &...

refer to second column of listbox
Hi, I have a multi selected listbox. How can I refer to the second column of the listbox? Me.lstContract.ItemData(varItem).column(1) ??? Dim varItem As Variant For Each varItem In Me.lstContract.ItemsSelected gstrReportFilter = "[Ck_ContractID]='" & Me.lstContract.ItemData(varItem) & "'" ''DoCmd.OpenReport "rptCoFundActivity_k" '', , , gstrReportFilter DoCmd.OpenReport "rptCostShareContribution_k", acViewPreview '', , gstrReportFilter Next varItem SF ...

No account number shown in printed checks
Using Money 2007 Deluxe. Printed a series of checks from MS Mmoney this morning, but the account numbers didn't print on the checks. Each of the payees has an account number entered in the appropriate place, in the "Go to Payees" detail listing. Can't figure out what's going on here! Thanks for any assistance. Dave On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:37:03 -0700, Dave M. <DaveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using Money 2007 Deluxe. > >Printed a series of checks from MS Mmoney this morning, but the account >numbers didn't print on the checks. Each of...

Why are my numbers disappearing in excel yet it totals them?
I have a spreadsheet that I have filled out the individual cells with number. These cells are totaling correctly, however when I open the spreadsheet the individual number I entered are showing blank.... I moved my mouse around in the spreadhsheet and all of a sudden the numbers appeared and then disappeared. Check the font color. The default is black. Also check the cell color. Default is "no fill". If the font color was changed to white, you would only see the content after you select the cell. Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! "Donna S...

How to remove dashes and slashes form a sequence of numbers & lett
Hi I have a sequence of numbers in column D and I require to extract just the numbers and letters to column E. D 190/0-01 31-0014 pp7/44-1 uf-744-5 E 190001 310014 pp7441 uf7445 Any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow Put this in E1: =3DSUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(D1,"/",""),"-","") and copy down as required. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 11:34=A0am, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > > I have a sequence of numbers in column D and I require to extract just th= e > ...

return a column no
I have a cell containing text. I need a formula that takes the text and finds an exact match in a row and return the column no. Eg Find Text: Name3 Name1 Name2 Name3 Name4 Name5 I want to return the column number which in this case is row 3. I know there is a simple formula but I cant find it Thanks =match(a2,1:1,0) will return the number of the column of the first match (if there is one). Assumes that the Name3 is in A2 and the names are listed in A1:IV1 (row 1) Craig McLaughlin wrote: > > I have a cell containing text. I need a formula that takes the text...

re: best way to move columns between 2 excel docs
Ok, here is my little project: In execel.doc A I have some columns that I want to move to Excel.doc B, and the columns are always positioned the same way in A, they never change their position. How do you transfer them to B, to append a running process of pre-existing prefilled from previous days ? Any code samples ? Macros ? Please help!!! :- ) I am reading a book on application-level programming, VBA for Access, so I understand more and more everyday. How much work do I have here ? Thanks. ...

Can't insert column; keep receiving error message
I was updating a large spreadsheet and all of a sudden I was unable to insert columns. I kept getting an error message that said, "...unable to shift nonblank cells off worksheet." I tried everything from unhiding all columns and rows toreformatting all the comments to move and size with their relative cells. I also removed all the comments and I was still unable to insert a column. Does anyone have a solution Thank you >-----Original Message----- >I was updating a large spreadsheet and all of a sudden I was unable to insert columns. I kept getting an error message th...

Column Headers #7
How do I print Column Headers on every page? File | Page Setup | Sheet Put the row you want to Repeat in the spot provided for Rows to Repeat at top. tj "Cscritch" wrote: > How do I print Column Headers on every page? ...

Relating one column to another
Stupid newbie question coming up: Let's say that in column A I have a series (not sequential) of numbers. In column B I have a word that goes with that number. In column C, I have numbers, which represent the same words as the number in column a represents the word in column B. In other words, I have: Number Word Type: 1: Banana 2 2: Fruit 3: Sausage 4 4: Meat I want to end up with Number Word Type: 1: Banana Fruit 2: Fruit 3: Sausage Meat 4: M...

Entity framwork accessing private member variables
(The following was posted in the ADO.NET newsgroup but got no responses. Thus the posting here.) Doing some testing with Entity Framework, I have been able to get POCOs to save using the public Properties. Now I am trying to switch from using public properties to private member variables. Originally the getter and setter of the ID property were public. I have changed the getter and setter to private access and changed the name to 'id' the name of the underlying member variable. I get an error: "Mapping and metadata information could not be found for Entity T...

Combining Stack bar and Line Charts
I'm trying to display 2 sets of data within the same chart; I want to display yr 1 data in a stacked bar format and yr 2 data in a line format. Both data sets would use the same axis; month and volume. I need to distinctively display each mo/yr together to show any increases or decreases in volume. Any suggestions you have are appreciated! -- tibor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tibor's Profile: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=156 View this thread: http://www.exceltip.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1...

Comparing two Columns #3
I have to columns full of data one column is "inventory" and the secon column is "charged items" inventory is what should be on the shel according to the computer, and charged items are the books that ar checked out. So the inventory - charged items would more less give m what "should" be on the shelf according to the computer. So I want column C to list me everything that is in Column A that i not in Column B. Column A is Inventory Column B is charged items (goes up to 6000). After I typed it out it seems very simply I just haven't figured ou how to...

Renaming a column label
How do I rename the column header labels from "A", "B", etc. to something else? Made a valiant effort. Can't figure it out. Mike -- DO NOT reply to the "from" address in this post. Instead, construct a reply address from this template: v6nos at yahoo dot com. Short answer: you don't - that capability (other than using numbers - check the Tools/Options/General R1C1 reference style checkbox) doesn't exist in XL. Longer answer: If you hide the row and column headers (Tools/Options/View) you can format Row 1 for column headers. You can even use t...

How may I add more than 256 columns to an Excel spreadsheet?
I am trying to create a horizontal 12 month calendar in an Excel spreadsheet. I need 370 columns. Is there anyway to accomplish this within Excel? SPO, excel only has 256 columns -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "SPO" <SPO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75457654-C31C-4787-9790-D07E220849BA@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a horizontal 12 month calendar in an Excel spreads...

How do you define variables in excel?
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to use excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc, as my grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign values to variables to accomplish this and how to define them. Thanks Why do you want to assign to variables, why not just use worksheet cells? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "BigRon" <BigRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D246057F-E2D9-474F-85A2-A31440E48142@microsoft.com... > I am setting up a s...

Conver General number to Currency
I have a column of numbers in Excel 2003 that are of General type. I need to insert a decimal point two positions in from the right of the existing number. When I do that however by using Format > Cells and changing it to Number with 2 decimal places, or to Currency format, it adds a .00 to the existing number instead of inserting a decimal point into the existing number, e.g., 999955 come out as 999955.00 or $999,955.00 when what I really want it to do is 9999.55 or even $9,999.55. Please help! Put 100 in an empty cell, select the numbers, do edit>paste special and select divide, ...

finding differing numbers.
How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in duplication. ie "numbers" 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 5, 3, 5, 2, 1, 2. "result" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Thanks Chris Hi one way: - select your column - choose 'Data - Filter Advanced Filter' - choose a new range and 'unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany curleyc wrote: > How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a > list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in > duplicat...

Matching Columns in work sheets and copying both rows to new
I am trying to match up two different spread sheets based on one column but to copy both rows to a new sheet. eg. First sheet has the following headings: "Owner Group " "Owner CC " "Type " "Product Categorization Tier 2 " "Product Categorization Tier 3 " "Device Name " "Status " "Model Number " "Mfg. Name " "CI ID " "Old Asset ID " "Serial Number " "Region " "Country " "Site " "Building " "Floor " "...

How do I combine 2 text columns in Microsoft Excel?
I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to combine the text values to create one complete sentence in one column. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Try: =A5&" "&B5 if you want spaces between the columns or look at the CONCATENATE function example =CONCATENATE(A5,B5) Domaniman wrote: > I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the > first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to ...

sum values from the same item in a single column?
Hi, I have a query to get a table like this: Item Num Values A 1 10 A 2 22 A 3 78 B 1 32 B 2 40 B 3 87 C 1 34 C 2 76 C 3 98 actually each "Item" has more than a thousand of "Num". how to sum all "Item" (A+B+C) at each "Num"? Like: Num Sum 1 76 2 138 3 263 Thanks! pemt pemt, Have a look at Crosstab queries under Help, that should give you what you...

Extracting Data in Cells in order -- (or) eliminating empty cell space in a column
Hi I have this problem that I bet is easy to solve, but i am lost. I am an expert at the slow way to do things, but maybe there is a better way. The only way I can describe the problem is by means of an example. Lets say I have a column of numbers: >_A_|_B_| etc >> 1_1_|___| 2_3_|___| 3_2_|___| 5_5_|___| 5_3_|___| 6_4_|___| 7_7_|___| 8_3_|___| 9_1_|___| and then i write a little function in the adjoing cell, B1: =if(a1=3,a2,"") From there I fill down column B to B9. OK, pretty simple so far, right? What I am looking for is instances where I find a '3' in co...

unique values of a column
hi how can i get the unique values of a column in an array? thanks in advance I think Advanced Filter will do what you want, there is an excellent tutorial here from Debra Dalgleish http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Regards <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:073d01c49649$6e4e49e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > > hi > > how can i get the unique values of a column in an array? > thanks in advance > > Hi, Additionally check out Chip Pearson's website at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingUnique >-----Orig...