column widths and row heights

based on 100% view, when u set the column width to say 12 units and the row
height to, for example, 15...

what is the actual dimensions in reality in mm.
 ie, how can i get the required number to ensure that row and colms are
exactly 2 mm in width and height

pat
0
Patrick2861 (490)
10/9/2007 3:46:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.

The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

http://snipurl.com/dzz8

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:46:01 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>based on 100% view, when u set the column width to say 12 units and the row
>height to, for example, 15...
>
>what is the actual dimensions in reality in mm.
> ie, how can i get the required number to ensure that row and colms are
>exactly 2 mm in width and height
>

>pat

0
Gord
10/9/2007 3:55:53 AM
cheers

have used the code

pat

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.
>
> The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
> of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
>
> Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
> and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
>
> For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
>
> http://snipurl.com/dzz8
>
> If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................
>
> Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
>
> http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:46:01 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >based on 100% view, when u set the column width to say 12 units and the row
> >height to, for example, 15...
> >
> >what is the actual dimensions in reality in mm.
> > ie, how can i get the required number to ensure that row and colms are
> >exactly 2 mm in width and height
> >

> >pat

0
Patrick2861 (490)
10/9/2007 4:04:00 AM
You did that in 9 minutes?

You can come work for me any time<g>

Gord

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>cheers
>

>have used the code
>

>pat
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.
>>
>> The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
>> of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
>>
>> Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
>> and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
>>
>> For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/dzz8
>>
>> If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................
>>
>> Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
>>
>> http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:46:01 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >based on 100% view, when u set the column width to say 12 units and the row
>> >height to, for example, 15...
>> >
>> >what is the actual dimensions in reality in mm.
>> > ie, how can i get the required number to ensure that row and colms are
>> >exactly 2 mm in width and height
>> >

>> >pat

0
Gord
10/9/2007 4:08:54 AM
this is what i actually had to do... set the column widths and row heights
for many columns,, the base code now looks like::

Sub ChangeWidthAndHeight()
Dim colNo As Long
Dim rowNo As Long
colNo = 1
rowNo = 1
Do While colNo < 46

If colNo > 0 Or colNo < 46 Then
    SetColumnWidthMM colNo, 2

Else
    Exit Do
End If

If colNo > 0 Or colNo < 26 Then
    SetRowHeightMM colNo, 2
  End If
  colNo = colNo + 1
Loop

End Sub

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You did that in 9 minutes?
>
> You can come work for me any time<g>
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >cheers
> >

> >have used the code
> >

> >pat
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.
> >>
> >> The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
> >> of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
> >>
> >> Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
> >> and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
> >>
> >> For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
> >>
> >> http://snipurl.com/dzz8
> >>
> >> If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................
> >>
> >> Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
> >>
> >> http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Patrick2861 (490)
10/9/2007 4:31:00 AM
the OR is an AND

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You did that in 9 minutes?
>
> You can come work for me any time<g>
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >cheers
> >

> >have used the code
> >

> >pat
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.
> >>
> >> The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
> >> of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
> >>
> >> Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
> >> and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
> >>
> >> For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
> >>
> >> http://snipurl.com/dzz8
> >>
> >> If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................
> >>
> >> Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
> >>
> >> http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Patrick2861 (490)
10/9/2007 4:33:00 AM
Adelaide is probably a long way away from wehrever u reside!

have a great day

pat

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You did that in 9 minutes?
>
> You can come work for me any time<g>
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, Patrick <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >cheers
> >

> >have used the code
> >

> >pat
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm.
> >>
> >> The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
> >> of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.
> >>
> >> Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
> >> and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.
> >>
> >> For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see
> >>
> >> http://snipurl.com/dzz8
> >>
> >> If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....................
> >>
> >> Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.
> >>
> >> http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Patrick2861 (490)

Replicate column info 01-25-08
Hi- I had a question earlier about replicating columns for a project I'm doing. There is one column that has the info being pulled from a form. Another column in the same table needs to pull in the same information. In excel you would use the equals sign to pull the same info. How would you do that in access? Thanks in advance You would never do this in a relational database. If you want to see the column twice on a form or report, just bind a second control to the same field. In the case of a query, you would never do this unless you were creating a query that was to be used t...

Combined charts
"How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to a column?" On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:26:10 -0800, Kurt Bonner = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > "How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to= a = > column?" Select the data series by clicking on it. On the menu, click Chart | = Chart type | select a column chart. If you do this as instructed (i.e. = with the data series selected), only the selected data series will = change. The other data series will remain as before. -- = Dave dvt at psu do...

Comparing columns
Hi, Can somebody please advise me on how to do the following in Excel: Compare a set of values (text) in column A with a set of values (text) in column B (no necessarily in line with each other) and output any differences to any of the following: - Column C - Another worksheet in the same workbook - a text file Thanks Andy Hi, When you say you want to see the output (wherever it is to go) - what output are you looking for? If the data in two columns is to be cross matched, you will possibly end up with a number of scenarios of matches, non-matches on same row, different rows and possib...

Change Preset Columns
My columns have 1,2,3, etc., how do I change them back to ABC,etc?? Its under Tools, Options, General Tab, uncheck R1C1 reference box. "Bernie" wrote: > My columns have 1,2,3, etc., how do I change them back to ABC,etc?? ...

Adding A New Column
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I was emailed a document that is made up of columns and rows. I would like to add one more column and extend the rows into that new column. How do I create that one extra column and extend the rows into it? <br> thanks. It depends on what the "columns & rows" actually are. If it's a Table just click in the column you want the new one next to then go to Table> Insert> Column to the Left or Column to the Right. The new column will have the same number of rows as the other column...

Transpose Column With Gaps to Row With No Gaps?
How could I convert, by click and dragging a formula, the following? It's additionally tricky because the Horizontal format includes an end of year lable (2004, 2005, etc), but the vertical format does not Label Cell Reference 4Q04 R17 1Q05 R20 2Q05 R23 3Q05 R26 4Q05 R29 1Q06 R32 Label Cell Reference 4Q04 AG8 2004 AH8 1Q05 AI8 2Q05 AJ8 3Q05 AK8 4Q05 AL8 2005 AM8 1Q06 AN8 Thanks very much in advance. This will become a forecasting tool for debt, reported interest expense, accrued interest expense, capitalized interest expense, and cash inter...

Labels placed under stacked column chart
I have a stacked column chart where I would like the labels of one of the series to always be placed under the column. Is there a way to do this automatically instead of manually moving each label? A stacked column series has limited options for automatic placement of data labels. They can be aligned "Center", "Inside End" (just below the top), and "Inside Base" (just above the bottom). Double click the labels, and on the Alignment tab, pick the Label Position you want. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pe...

Sum to exclude blank row
Hi, I have a problem with trying to implement a summation formula. I have monthly data in columns (A to L for each month) and rows being the data. What I'd like to do is sum each month but exclude the value which is in a row of data that doesn't have a full 12 months of data. So basically I only want to SUM those sets of data which have a full 12 months. Is there a way to do this? Any help greatly appreciated. Elijah One approach: Assume your table is in A1:L6, headers in row1, data in row2 down Put in M2: =COUNT(A2:L2) Copy M2 down to M6 Col M will be used as the "crite...

CRM 4
Is there a way to prevent a column from being added to advanced find views?? Thanks! You may change attribute to be non searchable. Customazation - Customize Entities - e.g. Account - Attributes - e.g. Account Number - Change value of Searchable to no. Hope this help you. Jukka Majander "Al" wrote: > Is there a way to prevent a column from being added to advanced find views?? > > Thanks! Thanks for the quick reply Jukka. However - by changing the 'seachable' attribute to no, doesn't that only remove it from being available in the filter criteria?? The ...

Sorting more than 3 columns of Numeric data.
I have a spreadsheet with six (6) columns of numeric data and would like to sort if ascending in each row. So the end result would be the lowest numbers in each row at the top of the spreadsheet. Is this possible? Thanks! -- JMax ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JMax's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6305 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494208 This is an exert from the help on sorting lists with more than 3 columns. Basically, you need to sort the list twice. If y...

How do I number rows automatically?
I want to add an automatic (ie self-changing) numbering column to worksheet. I would like the left most column to have anumer if th next column to the right has text, and then add 1 number to that colum for each subsequent row. An eg: 1. Joe Blow 123 Main st 2. Sara Silver, 221 Green Ave 3. Fred Red, 444 Bloacl Blvd. where if I add text to the next 1st name column, the next number i automatically fillled or if I delete the row with Sara Silver, then th next ro read: 2. Fred Red etc I have tried using the formulas and the help, but to no avail. Thanks for your assistance. A -- Message poste...

Column charts with multiple data in each column
I have five months worth of data that contains a product and their quantity used. I need a column chart that has the months on the x axis and the proportion of the product in each column for each month. When I try to make the chart it throws all the data for all the months into one fat column. Can anyone help?!? How are your data laid out? A cross-table with products (or months) as column headings and months (or products) as row headings? If so, a 100% stacked column chart should do the job. If you have data in a single table form, i.e., column headings are month, product, and qu...

copy column to another file
Hi I have many file with six worksheet titeled: typeone-bob to typesix-bob. I need to a macro, when run it on any worksheet, copy column "I" of any worksheet to another file (box.xls) and set to column "I" to ..... respectively. any help will be greatly appreciated. climate ...

reading from one table to populate a column in another table
Table A has customer code and customer name fields Table B has customer name and phone number fields I want to read through table B, look up the customer name in table A, if it is there, copy customer code to a customer code column in Table B that I will create. I could use a select statement to do this but sometimes the entire name may not match but the first 15 or 20 characters will. by the way, I have bought lots of Access books and have yet to see code similar to this request where you read through one table and possibly populate another. I have programmed in Visual Foxpro and this was...

Have Lost "To" column in Sent folder
I am running Outlook 2003 on XP. I have accidentally deleted the "To" column in the Sent folder and cannot find a way to get it back. Could anyone please help me with this? Thanks. -- Derek View-> Arrange By-> Custom...-> button Reset Current View -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Derek Chilvers" <DerekChilvers@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Help identify column differences
Hi I have a spreadshheet with 2 of the columns being "Interest Paid" & "Interest Due". I need to add a formula that will show me where the two columns have different values or the same values. For instance, if Interest due is 400 & interest paid is 400, I would like the cell next to it to say, "DELETE". If however the Interest Due is 400 and Interest Paid is any other amount other than 400, I would like the cell next to it to say "KEEP" and, if possible, formatted to be RED. Many thanks Malcolm Davidson See this webpage Malcolm ht...

How do I get 18 numbers to display in a column and not round out
I need a column to display 18 numbers and currently it is rounding the last three with zeros. I am using Microsoft 2003 How many digits in the numbers More than 15? Then you will need to type then as text and will not be able to do math on them Either a) when typing, precede the entry with a single quote (will not show in cell or printout b) before typing, format cells as Text best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters "whamm24" <whamm24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Rounding formula won't copy to other cells in column
I have a formula in cell G2 that reads: =round(F2,0). I'm using this to round the value in cell F2 and remove decimal places. The entire "F" column has values I want to round, and I am unable to "fill" the formula so that I can get the rounded values of each record in the range. What should I be looking for? So what *does* happen when you copy the formula in G2 to other cells in the column? Check to make sure Calculation is set to Automatic (Tools/Options/Calculation). In article <1933354D-C4AE-4051-87BD-29AF728A57DA@microsoft.com>, LindaO <Linda...

data validation of range, email specific row
Hi I'm trying to validate the data in cells C5:D5 if boths cells are yes, I would like it to send the row with both yes values and then set E5 to yes c d e tested? success? emailed? I don't know how to validate a range, I only figured out how to do one cell.. Sub Yes() Sheets("Sheet1").Select If Range("C5").Value = "Yes" Then MsgBox "Yes." End If End Sub How do I tell it to send the email after How do get it to send just the heading row and the row with c5:d5 value = yes as a html table? How do I set...

How can I crop the unwanted rows of a worksheet please.
Ineed to crop the bottom of a worksheet or how do I only print the area with information on. Thanks in advance Rory. You can set the print area to display only what you want. Select the cells you want in your print area and use the commands FILE -> SET PRINT AREA "RORY" <RORY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9315BEC-B0E5-424C-8589-10B0C3F0978E@microsoft.com... > Ineed to crop the bottom of a worksheet or how do I only print the area > with > information on. > Thanks in advance > Rory. If you hit ctrl-end, does that take you way pa...

odd or even rows......and importing from Access
Can't get Excel to accept data in odd or even rows........from outside database. Access has one line (row of data) and that can be copied into Excel, however I would like to "split" some of that data between odd and even rows. I can create queries to separate the data on right or left from Access - example: Person has one name but has two arms legs and ears. I want the first colums in every row to contain the same name, but future colums in those two rows to contain either right(odd) or left(even side information. ie; row 1 Jones right ear good bad undetermined row 2 Jone...

hiding rows / columns when printing
is it possible to hide items when printing? Hidden rows/columns will not print. You may do it manually or with a macro that hides/prints/unhides. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "sam" <sam@msforums.com> wrote in message news:upeKNWirJHA.5912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > is it possible to hide items when printing? > ...

MSChart Row Labels help!
I have a graph "ChtLive" that updates constantly based on values coming in from PLC. The graph updates fine and displays my values on the screen perfectly. However, I am having trouble with the row labels (rows 1-20) updating as current time in VB6. Ex: This function SHOULD do the following: First time around, row label 20 holds current time. frmMain.chtLive.Row = 20 frmMain.chtLive.RowLabel = Format(Now(), "ss") 'seconds on the minute Second time the function in question is called, row 19 label takes value from row 20 label, and row 20...

How do I make column headings vertical in Excel
I am doing a report and need to make column headings vertical and cannot figure out how to do it. Select the headings you want vertical, goto>formate cells>look at "orientation and select the vertical (Text) box. Mike Rogers -- The only dumb question is the one you did not ask. "bb" wrote: > I am doing a report and need to make column headings vertical and cannot > figure out how to do it. Or if you meant you want them to become row headings instead of column headings then copy all, paste special, check transpose, click ok... "Mike Rogers" wrote...

Using object model to coult the number of used rows
Hi Does any one know how to count the number of used columns and rows in a sheet via the object model I know int m_columncount = m_CurrentWorkSheet.Columns.Count; gives the total columns, but what I need is a count of the used colums. Or do I need to write a manual count i.e. manually count how many are used by by checking each element? thanks Andy Hi Andy, The following will get the number of rows in your used range as you would observer using Ctrl+End dim rowCnt as long rowCnt = activesheet.Cells.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).row Take a look at http://www.mvps.or...