Column to Rows

I want to convert my data from one column into rows.
I have my data set up now as follows:

John Smith
$3200
555 Main St.
95111

Jane Jones
$5500
345 Happy Dr.
93434

Jack Clark
$2300
354 Oak Pl.
95343

I want it to be displayed into 4 separate columns as follows:

John Smith           $3200        555 Main St.         95111
Jane Jones           $5500        345 Happy Dr.       93434
Jack Clark            $2300        354 Oak Pl.           95343

Please advise,

thanks,

Don

--
Don D.
Don D.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30195

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you always have groups of 4 with a gap between and it starts in A1, then put
this in B1:

=INDEX($A:$A,(5*(ROW()-1))+COLUMN()-1)

And drag across to E1

Then select A1:E1
and drag down until you run out of data (you'll see a bunch of 0's).

"Don D." wrote:

> I want to convert my data from one column into rows.
> I have my data set up now as follows:
>
> John Smith
> $3200
> 555 Main St.
> 95111
>
> Jane Jones
> $5500
> 345 Happy Dr.
> 93434
>
> Jack Clark
> $2300
> 354 Oak Pl.
> 95343
>
> I want it to be displayed into 4 separate columns as follows:
>
> John Smith           $3200        555 Main St.         95111
> Jane Jones           $5500        345 Happy Dr.       93434
> Jack Clark            $2300        354 Oak Pl.           95343
>
> Please advise,
>
> thanks,
>
> Don
>
> --
> Don D.
> Don D.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30195
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498806

--

Dave Peterson
0

Adding new rows
I have a spreadsheet with 100 rows in, I need to add a row after each current row, is there a quick way to do this or have i got to insert each new row individually? -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390760 I assume you want to add an empty new row in between the existing rows. One way would be with an extra column Save as "trial" first.......just in case thi...

BCP Computed Column
Hi. I have a table with a computed column. When I try to import data into table through BCP it generates error due to computed column. So how to handle a computed column while importing data into table through bcp from a text file. Regards, Muhammad Bilal You need to use a format file that tells BCP to skip that column. See BOL for info on bcp format files. Tom "Muhammad Bilal" <MuhammadBilal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD65421-C599-4773-B56F-24841FE05D5A@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have a table with a computed column...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

First row in Selection range (first index of a cell)
Hello, I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection Range or return an index of the first cell in Selection Cell. I have something like this: .................... Range1.Select "and here I want to Select the first range in selection Range1" ............. I there any special function of finding first cell in selection range or returning an index of the first cell?? Thanks for answet Marcin Maybe range1(1).select or range1.cells(1).select or range1.cells(1,1).select mar_male@wp.pl wrote: > > Hello, > I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

Delete 3 end row
Hi I want to delete three end row of any sheet. any sheet has different row number. Thank's for any help. your's Hi, This will clear the last 3 rows of the active sheet. Note I the on error line is to cope when there are less than 3 rows on the sheet Sub del_Last_3() Dim LastRow As Long On Error Resume Next LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:="*", _ SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _ SearchOrder:=xlRows).Row ActiveSheet.Rows(LastRow - 2 & ":" & LastRow).ClearContents End Sub -- Mike Whe...

Prinding each row of Excel sheet on a seperate page dispallying one record on each pa
From a spread sheet ,I need to print out a row on each page seperately that is printout each record on the row on one page seperately. Can any one please advise how it can be done ? Fro example Row 1 Data 11 Data 12 Data 13 Row 2 Data 21 Data 22 Data 23 Row 3 Data 31 Data 32 Data 33 I would want to print out Data 11 and Data 22 on one page then Data 21 and Data 22 on the second page and data 31 and Data 33 on the third page Pleae advise if and hwo this is possible. Thank you Sanjeev --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sorry ...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Customize global adress list column in a new mail
Hi! (I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007). when i create a new mail message, hit the "To" button, my global adress list window appear when column by default: Name, Title, business Phone, Location, E-mail address, Company and Alias. Those column from Active directory of course. My question is: can I add/remove column in this window? For example adding "department" from Active directory? thx Since this is customized by your Exchange Admin, I would start by asking him/her if it is possible. This question can most likely be answered in an Exchange or W...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

One column into three
We have a table with about 40 columns and 120 Rows and we need to split each column into 3 columns only for certain rows - I'm guessing that we can't spilt a column only for certain rows as this would mess-up the entire column/row naming convention - so is there a way to automate the spliting of a column into 3 rows (i.e column A becomes A,B & C) and then merging each trio of cells (i.e. A1, B1, & C1) into one cell in the row and retaining the data that was in A1 and moving the data that was in B1 into D1 - for all 120 rows and then repeating the process for each colum...

Auto copy and insert a defined number of rows as defined in a cell
Hi I don't know much about VBA but could probably work something out. I need to produce carton labels from a spreadsheet using Word to mail merge and the labels need to include 1 of 10, 2 of 10 on them. The number of labels required is dependant on a number which is included for each row of data in the spreadsheet. What I am doing at the moment is copying each row and insert pasting the additional number of rows required. In the new rows I then add 1 of 10 in the first row, 2 of 10 in the second row etc. etc. This then enables me to perform the mailmerge. I have around 300...

Can I wrap rows of print?
I have twelve columns I must print out in a report and don't want to print on two pages. Can I "wrap" the columns from the second page when printing so they print beneath the corresponding information from the first page? For example: Name Address City State Zip Code Cost Project Date Name Address City State Zip Code Cost Project Date Storm, Not directly. Excel prints sheets pretty much as-is, with the acoutrements available in File - Page Setup. What you could do is make a mirror sheet in the layout you want, using links to the original. Then print that...

Hide Rows
Can anyone help me with the following problem? I have a drop down list, e.g. with 4 options. each option is represented by a row of data, and each cell in each row is to be entered by the user. (That means I have 4 rows of data.) How do I unhide a certain row that is selected via the drop down list whilst hiding the rest of the 3 rows? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial ...

FRx
Is there any way to import values to a column of FRx 6.7 report from excel/doc file? Thanks in Advance, Arun. You can't "import" data but you can include data from a spreadsheet in an FRx report. See Chapter 4 of the FRx Report Designer User's Guide. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Arun" wrote: > Is there any way to import values to a column of FRx 6.7 report from > excel/doc file? > > Thanks in Advance, > Arun. ...

code to delete rows
this is probably very simple but i am new to writing code (excel 2000). i want to scan cells M9:M999, and for every cell where the value is 0 i want that row deleted. so for instance M9's value is 453 and row 9 will stay, but M10's value is 0 so row 10 is deleted. so on and so forth. thanks so much! ianalexh Do a filter (Data>Filter>Autofilter) and select a value of 0. Delete the visible rows. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ianalexh" <ianalexh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:312D8E40-EBD6-426C-A98...

macro to search column
We're pretty good at writing macros but not that good. We a have columns containing duplicate information - for example: A A A C C F F F F and so on We're trying to write macro that will "simply" say; if a value in the column exists then copy it to the next column, but only copy it once (we only need to know if it appears once not x number of times in a column. OR goto the first cell; its value is "A" ; search the rest of the column for "A" , delete all OTHER instances of "A" (but keep the first instance); then go to cell below that and do the ...

Weird rounding in Sums of columns
I have a simple worksheet in which one cell should be the sum of a few others. It looks something like this: A2=A1*.133, A3=A1*.12, A4=(SUM A1:A3). My problem is that sometimes the sum in cell A4 is .01 less than it should be. I assume it has something to do with rounding to two decimal points. Is there a way to get A4 to equal the sum of the actual numbers shown in the cells and not a sum based on hidden strings of decimals? Sorry if this is more confusing than it should be. Thanks for any help. Yes, Go to Tools-Options-Calculation tab and turn on Precision as displayed. -...

Row, Column measurement?
Excel 2000. What are the units? Why aren't they the same? If the row is 20 tall & the column 20 wide, why don't I have a square cell? How do I get one? -- Thanks in advance... Bob Try Format,raw height 11.25 Format,column width 1.43 "Bob Newman" wrote: > Excel 2000. > What are the units? Why aren't they the same? If the row is 20 tall & the > column 20 wide, why don't I have a square cell? How do I get one? > > -- > Thanks in advance... Bob > > > Nope. Bob "Sakai" <Sakai@discussions.microsoft.com...

Workbook automatically unhiding rows upon opening
We have a shared workbook that our admin staff updates, and our sales staff accesses when on the road. Recently, some of the admin's computers, and all of the sales staff's laptops have begun unhiding all of the rows in this workbook when they open it. For others, the hidden rows stay hidden. I've been tasked with making sure the rows stay hidden upon opening, but I cannot figure out why this is happening. Help? It could be the two groups are actually accessing two different similarly named files.....could be same name in two different directories....problem is common in...

In Excel I have a workbook, and want to select all blank rows for.
I have a worksheet with around 19,000 rows, some of which are blank. It's a price list I do regularly. How can I select all blank rows and then delete them. It will take hours to do them all manually. Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "HANDY ANDY" <HANDY ANDY@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FC815E8C-813A-48EA-94A3-26E8B22F8EB4@microsoft.com... > I have a worksheet with around 19,000 rows, some of which are blank. It's a > price list I do regularly. How can ...

Combine data in two columns into one and sort the combined column alphabetically..how??
I have two columns, A and B. Each column contains a list of data in text format e.g. 01TI518A.PV . It is possible that duplicates of this text may appear within either column. Also, the number of data values in each column is variable as they are imported from an external source into the worksheet. I would like to be able to combine the text from both columns into a single list in a single column, say column C. I would also like this column to be alphanumerically sorted. How do I go about doing this? I would do this. Copy the data from column A to column C (include a single header row) cop...

How to mail merge multiple rows in one document 03-11-10
Hi, I have a worksheet that lists subscribers of a service. It looks something like this: Organization Name Title Email ACME CO. Smith, Sam CEO ssmith@acme.com ACME CO. Jones, Bill Staff bjones@acme.com Each organization has one president and multiple staff members listed (between 1 and 5 staff members). I want to email each president, through mail merge, and give them a list of all the current subscribers from their organization (data from other rows in the worksheet). Is this possible to do (using Office 2...