Color Scheme

Are there any good websites that discuss good color schemes to use for
spreadsheets?

0
bdaoust (13)
8/12/2006 8:25:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Can't point you to any sites I'm afraid, but personally I like to keep
colour schemes simple, use pastel colours as opposed to bright garish ones,
and only use colour where necessary in order to highlight data, or a section
of data, eg totals, subtotals etc.  If you do it regularly then try to keep
some consistency to the colours you use.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

<bdaoust@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Are there any good websites that discuss good color schemes to use for
> spreadsheets?

0
ken.wright (2489)
8/13/2006 9:39:54 AM
Thanks Ken, good suggestions.

Ken Wright wrote:
> Can't point you to any sites I'm afraid, but personally I like to keep
> colour schemes simple, use pastel colours as opposed to bright garish one=
s,
> and only use colour where necessary in order to highlight data, or a sect=
ion
> of data, eg totals, subtotals etc.  If you do it regularly then try to ke=
ep
> some consistency to the colours you use.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03
>
> ------------------------------=AD------------------------------=AD-------=
---------
> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> ------------------------------=AD------------------------------=AD-------=
---------

> <bdaoust@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Are there any good websites that discuss good color schemes to use for
> > spreadsheets?

0
bdaoust (13)
8/13/2006 1:55:13 PM
There's a discussion on colours here:

   http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2006/07/05/userform-gallery/

that may give you some ideas.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/13/2006 2:11:42 PM
David McRitchie has a good discussion of colour in Excel here
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm

You can also download my colour palette tool from:
http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com

0
ed1304 (117)

How to create a chart based on color percentage?
The data I am trying to compile for a pie chart is based on the color percentage of the data. For example, I used three colors to identify my data range. How can I base the pie chart not on the data, but on the colors used? Colors do not have any cardinality attached to them. How large a wedge should burnt orange be compared to lavendar or off-white? What you can do is enter numeric values in the worksheet that correspond to the colors and plot those values. -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 doubl...

How much row alternate color in a continuous form causes slowness
Hello, my supplier invoice tracking database could have huge data in the future. I plan to have alternate color in rows of a continuous form to facilitate easy reading. Anyone can explain whether color in rows will cauxe slowness in operation?. Please help before I design the color in the form? Coz I am new to access database. -- H. Frank Situmorang Presumably you have: - a main form that shows one invoice; - a subform showing the line items of that invoice; - Access 2007 (which gives you the alternative color option.) If so, don't be afraid to use it. Any invoice will have at most...

Cell Colors and Sheet Protection
Is there a way to change the color of a cell if a sheet is protected? I want to place an object on a worksheet that will turn protection on or off if a cell indicates that the sheet is protected. I dont want users going to the menu to perfom this function because I'm tired of unprotecting sheets that have forget passwords assigned. -- Regards... Hi record a macro and assign this macro to a toolbar icon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cincode5" <cincode5@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A246D4E2-FC8B-4F8B-9148-09CF870655A9@microsoft....

Color Scheme
Are there any good websites that discuss good color schemes to use for spreadsheets? Can't point you to any sites I'm afraid, but personally I like to keep colour schemes simple, use pastel colours as opposed to bright garish ones, and only use colour where necessary in order to highlight data, or a section of data, eg totals, subtotals etc. If you do it regularly then try to keep some consistency to the colours you use. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 -----------------------------...

What makes the background color of a calendar change?
I've created a calendar in a public folder for my partners and staff to use to review their schedules, request time off, etc. After populating the calendar with events and appointments, some days containing events and appointments take on a color attribute that reflects on or another of the color category/categories of things happening that day. This seems to happen capriciously. I'll have days with events/appointments from multiple categories where the background remains white, others where the background becomes colored. Is this a bug or a feature whose purpose I've y...

color scheme
Hello I am having something very weird happening to my excel documents. I will be working along on a document and suddenly, my color scheme will change. It's very odd. It'll stay that way for awhile and eventually change back. I tried resetting the color scheme, but it doesn't work. Am I hitting a button that causes this to happen? Or maybe it's just the software that needs to be reloaded? I'm hoping for the first scenario so I can just learn how to change it back. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Make sure that all the cables are connected properly with you...

Chart color
I have a number of pivot charts that displays the same kind of data (hours registered on different projects). I want to use the same color for the same project in the different charts, but when I change the order of the projects, Excel changes the color automatically. Is there a way to avoid this? In the charts where I changed the order, I have tried to match the color Excel produces automatically, but I am not able to reproduce it. How can this be found? Finally, is it possible to change transparency and retain the automatic color? I use a bar chart with series overlap in Excel 2007. ...

CDialog background color in CTabCtrl
Hi, I have a dialog box that is child of a CTabCtrl control. When I select a tab, a new dialog box is displayed similar to what property sheets are doing. However when I display the dialog the background color of the dialog is not the one of the tab control (the parent). How can I change the background color of the dialog to be the same as the one of the tab control? I tried OnCtlColor(...) but this allows me to change the background color to a fixed predefined color. In other words I want that my dialog is not visible in the tab control, only the dialog's controls should be visi...

Color Issues When Printing #2
I created a custom color in excel 2003. The color is on 2 different sheets in my file. I converted this into a .pdf file and the colors looked perfect on screen but when I printed out the .pdf version, the color looks different on the 2 pages. It's drastically different, even though the I am using the same custom color that I created. Any ideas how to fix this? ...

Outlook form - Checkbox
Dear all, Let's assume I have 15 contacts. 5 of these contacts are clients and I would like to have a different background color of the contact form for these contacts that all employees know that these contacts are clients. The contacts are stored in the Public Folders. Any ideas how I could add a checkbox (add a custom tab) that if the checkbox is checked that the background color of this form would change (> all pages/tabs > General, Details, Activities, etc.)? Kind regards, Simon You can design your own custom contact form for this; Tools-> Forms-> ...

Option Button
I have an option group with two option buttons - when I click one it doesn't change color so the user knows it has been selected. I don't have any different formating or colors and all the other buttons work correctly. I even tried deleting it an redoing? Any body know what's going on? Have I exceeded some kind of limit? Thanks guys in advance. Bonnie The limit of controls on a form is 755 in it's lifetime. That is rarely exceeded, but you can copy all the controls on a form and paste them to a new form, then copy and paste all the code and connect it up. Now delete...

Color Problem
Both at work and at home, when printing, I am getting a green-scale color rather than what I've created. I checked the "Color Scheme" and it is set correctly. Can someone please tell me the problem? Thank you! I'm not sure what you mean by green-scale. Do you mean a green version of greyscale? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Realtor Nancy" <Realtor Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90B06492-1A3E-4F0D-958E-6DFFCED14CF1@microsoft.com... > Both at wor...

Color fill based on multiple conditions
My spreadsheet contains subtotals. A B C D E F Production Line 1 10 1 5 2 10 Production Line 1 10 1 5 2 10 Production Line 1 Total 20 2 10 4 20 Some months the spreadsheet contains 100 lines and some months it contains 200. Does someone have some code that would loop through all the data in the sheet and for each subtotaled line (when A contains Total), go to the same row for B:F and if value is less than 5, fill with orange between 6 and 15, fill with blue greater ...

Suddenly unable to color cell border.
Suddenly unable to color cell border. Software: XL97 SR-2(l) on WinXP-pro w/ SR-2 with latest Microsoft Windows updates. Hardware DELL Dimension E510 3 GHz with 1 Mbyte RAM Norton internet security is installed, my e-mail provider scans for viruses, and I regularly scan my whole machine for viruses. In twenty years of using computers, I�ve only one gotten a virus infection, and that was by mistakenly downloading and installing a freeware program where I should of known better. Until recently, I could place a colored border around a cell. I know it can be done. I have spread sheets whe...

Counting by color
I saw this formula on Chip Pearson's site. According to Chip: You can use the ColorIndexOfRange function to get the sum of the values in those cells whose color index is some specified value. For example, the following array formula will sum the values of the cells in range B11:B17 whose fill color is red. =SUM(B11:B17*(COLORINDEXOFRANGE(B11:B17,FALSE,1)=3)) I tried to use this formula in a spreadsheet, but received a#NAME? error. I'm trying to count all occurences in a range of cells that are in red font, but I'm not having much luck. The ColorIndexOfRange fu...

Colors for categories?
Outlook 2000 Can I make different colors for different appointment categories? Thanks. No. In Outlook 2002 you can assign a label to your appointment that can be a color. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "SAC" <someone@acmecomputers.com> wrote in message news:%23Fr30%23C7DHA.2720@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2000 > > Can I make different colors for different appointment categories? > > Thanks. > > only in table view. ...

Changing background colors in Outlook Express
I've been taking an online Master's degree course with the University of Phoenix for over a year now. They use Outlook Express exclusively for their online courses. The white background has just about burned my eyes out. Is there *ANY* way conceivable to change the background color for the folders, threads and message windows? I can't believe such a basic feature was left out of OE's original design. "will7370" <will7370@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2F08FAD-8818-480C-91F6-3E4A35EC13E9@microsoft.com... > I've been taking an ...

Sometimes when I open an Excel file, the colors are changed. Why?
Sometimes when I open an Excel file, the colors are changed. I suspect it has something to do with having another Excel file open that was exported from a web page, but I don't know. Has anyone else heard of this? ...

How do I change the color scheme on a download Publisher template
I recently downloaded a newsletter template and now I would like to change the color scheme for the background shapes. I have tried to do this, but only some texts would change colors, but not the shapes. Please help! Thanks. I suspect you will have to change the colors manually if the colors won't change when you choose a different color scheme. Select one of the shapes, Fill, the colors along the top of the fill menu are the colors of the present color scheme. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "T.J." <T.J.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

How do I fill row colors based on cell value?
trying to figure out how to fill a row a color based on a certain value of a call. Take a look at conditional formatting in help. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Daskeeper" <Daskeeper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D8FE4ED-D0D9-4773-81CF-F4AC26B1F663@microsoft.com... > trying to figure out how to fill a row a color based on a certain value of a > call. ...

what is a text scheme. Publishing Level 2 refers to it
Text Scheme is mentioned in the course for Microsoft Publisher Level 2 but I have never heard of it. Any help Do you mean Font scheme? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "271182" <271182@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E365EAFA-ADFC-4175-910D-AE7F41732114@microsoft.com... > Text Scheme is mentioned in the course for Microsoft Publisher Level 2 but > I > have never heard of it. Any help Could be. It is a disabled student of mine who has asked the question from another course he is on. So what is a font scheme? Is it the same as...

How do I change the color of some bars in an Excel bar graph?
I have a big data series and want to manually assign three different colors to the bars. Can this be done? Click once to select the entire series, then click again to select one point (one column). Then go to Format menu > Point, and apply a format to the selected point only. To do it automatically, you could set up a conditional chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "fergusonlaura" <fergusonlaura@di...

lost ability to filter by color
Originally when using the filter I was given the option to filter by color or color of text but now I am no longer given that option. check your other post "ichirus" wrote: > Originally when using the filter I was given the option to filter by color or > color of text but now I am no longer given that option. ...

Different Colors for Companies
Is there a way to have Great Plains have different color schemes when logging into different companies? Not currently but if you search the newsgroup and vote on the previous suggestion for different colors, maybe they will do it. "Steve Chapman" wrote: > Is there a way to have Great Plains have different color schemes when logging > into different companies? You can have the company name showing in the application title bar. Before I joined Microsoft, I wrote this into Omni Tools. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - A...

Publisher colors print different on page one than on page two
My publication has two pages. I print x number of the first page, then flip them over to print x number of page 2. No matter which I print first, or how many, page one colors are sharper than page 2 (using the same RBG for both sides) Does anyone know why? -- Thanks snack6_enbert wrote: > My publication has two pages. I print x number of the first page, then flip > them over to print x number of page 2. No matter which I print first, or how > many, page one colors are sharper than page 2 (using the same RBG for both > sides) Does anyone know why? Sounds like you're usi...