color-coding cells and more

Excel 97  /  W98
Two easy questions.
    Is there a way to color-code a cell based on a condition, BUT not using
Visual Basic Editor?
That is, I want to change a cell based on a condition using the =IF(a,b,c)
format.
    In the status bar, I have choices of SUM, Average, and a few others.
Always opens with SUM as the default option.  Can I change the default to
'Average?'

--
Replace the AT in address
Statistics convinces us we are in a minority.  Probability convinces us we

0
qaz123 (3)
8/29/2003 4:16:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Old guy wrote:
>     Is there a way to color-code a cell based on a condition, BUT not
> using Visual Basic Editor?
> That is, I want to change a cell based on a condition using the
> =IF(a,b,c) format.

Use Conditional Formatting.  See Excel help for details.

Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

0
dvt (216)

Cell input control
Hi, in Excel 2003, is there a way to set a cell, or a column, in a way that a user can only enter a limited number of character in it? For instance, I want a user cannot enter more than 10 character into any cell of column C. thanks for help Try Data Validation: Select the cells to be impacted From the Excel main menu: <data><validation> Allow: Text Length Data: Less than or equal to Maximum: 10 Click [OK] Note: You can use the Input Message tab to give the users instructions and you can use the Error Alert tab to set whether the users are forced to comply or only warned....

Viewing Text In A Cell
When viewing a spreadsheet and I click on a cell, all text in the cell shows up in the box at the top of the screen but all of the text doesn't show up on the screen if I am not in that particular cell? How can I make all text show up in all cells? hi in xl help, type the word specifications. this will list the specs and limits of your version of excel. how much text you have? a cell will hold 37767 characters but only 1024 will show in the cell. all 37767 will show in the fomula bar....the box at the top of the screen. regards FSt1 "rsenn" wrote: > When viewing a s...

Macro to delete cell contents EXCEPT for last 5 characters
Hi Everyone I need a macro that can go down the cells of a column and delete the contents of each cell EXCEPT FOR the last five characters. Each cell has different content, and the length of the contents in the cells are different. Below are some examples of cell contents: /O=ATO/OU=WTCEXCH/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=UBDDR /O=ATO/OU=BXHEXCH/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=UBA79 /O=ATO/OU=WTCEXCH/CN=USERS & WORKSTATIONS/CN=USERS/CN=UAWL5 /O=ATO/OU=WAYEXCH/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=UA2SX /O=ATO/OU=BRIEXCH/CN=USERS & WORKSTATIONS/CN=USERS/CN=UXC7C Thanks for any help you can offer. Joe. -- If you...

how to hide cells, and still print then?
i would like to hide the first 8 rows from the users view, but still have them visable when the sheets is printed, is this done using split & freeze panes some how? Many thanks, Steve I would record a macro to unhide the rows, print the sheet, and then re-hide the rows......... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Steven" <me@where.why> wrote in message news:6Bjgc.186$Rl1.85@newsfe1-win... > i would like to hide the first 8 rows from the users view, but still have > them visable when the sheets is printed, is this done using split & freeze > panes some how? >...

Unsolvable cell naming question: Can anyone beat this one?
I am trying to copy and paste named cells from one workbook to another without having the first workbook file name attach to the named cells. For example, I am copying a cell named XYZ from file One.xls to file Two.xls. I need to have cell XYZ NOT say One.xls!XYZ when it is entered into Two.xls. Also, how can I get that message that asks if I want to use the cell names to not pop up? I think I understand what you're running into here. If the cell you are MOVING refers to a named range in it's source workbook that doesn't exist in the destination workbook, Excel will not ide...

Cells font colors
Does anyone know how to have a cell font change color What I am trying to figure out is if cell A1 contains a number I would like that cell font to start off in red and if cell B2 contains a number have cell A1 change to red automatically I think it is something like =IF(D4="",0[RED],100[GREEN] And/Or Should I use Condiational Formating or a double IF? Hi Robbins2U! You can't do it with cell formulas. Take a look at Format > Conditional formatting. You need the Formula is option and your formula should evaluate to TRUE or FALSE -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydn...

breaking text into multiple cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Lets say I type &quot;a b c d&quot; into a cell. Is there a way I can place the cursor between &quot;a&quot; and &quot;b&quot; and then cause only &quot;a&quot; to remain in the original cell while &quot;b c d&quot; move to a new cell? <br><br>Thanks! On 2010-05-27 12:53:39 -0400, Dwade01@officeformac.com said: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Lets say I type "a b c d" into a cell. Is ther...

counting the the result of cell in the column on 4 diferent worksheet with regards of date
Hi. I just want to know how I can count the result of cell on the different worksheet. ex. I have one files of xls. and it has 4 deifferent worksheet. each worksheet has a B column each date record at B column correspond to c column. what I want is how to count the value of C column with regards to date at B column Regards,agl Something like =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!B1:B100=DATE(2004,1,1))*(Sheet1!C1:C100))+SUMPRODUCT((Sh eet2!B1:B100=DATE(2004,1,1))*(Sheet2!C1:C100))+SUMPRODUCT((Sheet2!B1:B100=DA TE(2004,1,1))*(Sheet2!C1:C100))+... -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbo...

Error in "Home.aspx" code
After struggling with the error message that I inquired about below as well as some of those from other posts, I have discovered an error in the code of the home.aspx file. The problem is with the lines of code at the end of the file as shown below: <% //Call the method that will print a list of links to the respective entities this.PrintListOfEntities(); %></asp:Content> When opening the file with the Expressions application and placing your cursor on it, the message “In content pages, content...

Alternate Line Color
I have to use Office2k and Office07 at my work. I like to added feature of the alternate line color in office07. But it does not work in O2k. So I added a counter and some code under the detail format event: select case me.counter mod 2 case 0 detail.backcolor = rgb(223,223,223) case else detail.backcolor = rgb(255,255,255) end select It works fine, except that it only colors about 1.5 inches on the left and 1 inch on the right. Everything in the middle is uncolored. I have several reports that are like this. I keep the databases in O2k format, but often decompile, resa...

Flagging a particular cell? #2
As numbers are added and subtracted in a column of cells over time, the sum of these cells changes. I should like to discover a formula to be used which would flag a particular cell (or point in time) when that sum fluctuates by a given amount over the last flagged cell. Example: cell|data|sum|flag 1) 3 3 2) 4 7 3) -2 5 4) 5 10 FLAG 5) 6 16 6) 9 25 FLAG 7) -3 22 8) -8 14 FLAG etc. The formula I am looking for would examine the sum column and would flag a variance of 10 or more from the last flagged cell. I...

Changing the color scheme for multiple pie charts so they all matc
I have several pie charts that contain similar data. Each time I created a chart it would give the slice for variable A the color red, then in the next chart it would give variable A the color blue. How could I make all pie charts uniform, so that common variables all came back as the same color. Thanks One option is to create a user-define pie chart specifying the colors of the slices you want. Then, each time you create another pie chart use your user-defined chart as a template. -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "lmp101010" wrote: > I have several pie cha...

absolute cell references
I've got monthly expense numbers in one workbook I need to compare to monthly expense numbers in another workbook. I insert a new column to calculate the differences in one of the worksheets. Then I simply click to create the formula that subtracts the expenses in the current workbook from the expenses in the other workbook. Here's the problem. I'd like to set up one cell with the difference and then just copy it to fill in the rest of the months, right? Well, for some reason, when I create the first cell, it refers to the other workbook using an absolute cell refere...

Memory Cell Could Not Be "READ."
I have Money 2K, WINXP Home, and until about a week ago I had no problems updating. Now, most of the time, when I try to update the Internet Information, I get an error message which reads: The instruction at "0x600bb01c" referenced memory at "0x00000007" The memory could not be "read." Click OK to terminate the program. When this happens, my modem lights flicker as if it is trying to get a response, but isn't getting one. After 10 seconds or so, I get the above message. Every few days it works fine. I have Fidelity as a investment, and I can always...

Printing Patterns in Cells
Hell, I am trying to print a worksheet I created with colors and patterns. The colors print, but the patterns don't. They show up in print preview. Can anyone enlighten me please? Oh, and is there a limit to the width of a worksheet. Mind will only go as far as column IV. Thanks for your help Patty ...

Cell referencing #3
Hi, I have a sheet, which contains a metrics score card and a chart based on this metrics. this metrics is created on every modays of a month. i have created a list which shows all dates for monday in the month. I want to put the data related to all the mondays in one single sheet and based on the values selected in the list, data should be displayed in the metrics columns. Please help. Regards, Navin Sounds like VLOOKUP should work for you. Check it out in Excel help. VLOOKUP is very easy to use. As an example, if you have 01/02/2007 in A1 of your Summary sheet and the corresponding...

Using Excel functions to color a cell
Hey Guys. I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to write this little budgetary analysis tool for my boss... It does everything I need it to so far... pulls the data... cleans it ... performs an analysis and a forecast... but he wants it to be a little more visual/aesthetically pleasing... So, I am trying to create a red light, yellow light, green light graphic for him ... I need to write an excel formula for a few cells that will compare two numbers and color the cell appropriately based on the comparison. I want it to be something like this: =IF(A1>B1, color the c...

Multiply cells and format to currency in text format
Hi, I have 2 cells which I wish to multiply, and have the result be formatted in text with the 2 decimal places. 3 x 1.55 = 4.65 2 x 4 = 8.00 This is going to be used with a program which requires it to be numbers stored as text. Just basic cell formatting doesn't work. Can some one please help? Cheers -- Paul Wilson On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:43:02 -0800, Paul Wilson <PaulWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have 2 cells which I wish to multiply, and have the result be formatted in >text with the 2 decimal places. > >3 x...

Strip out text from cells
Hi Below is an example of what I have done but excel keeps reversing the formula back to g to h instead of h to g. =MID(G5,1,FIND(h5:g5,1)-1) this what I enter. =MID(G5,1,FIND(G5:H5,1)-1) this what i get. Column A Col B Col C Result 12T t =MID(G5,1,FIND(h5:g5,1)-1) (#VALUE!) Is there another way of stripping out the text (sometimes it might just be one nos and then text as 9v), any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow Why are you using a colon ...

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not required. Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ACE70A4-D4EC-4B79-8552-B7BA11BE9B38@microsoft.com... > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? Put a 1 into any cell - let'...

what is 'too many different cell formats' reply?
Tommy Read this KB article On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:29:01 -0800, "tommy" <tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Check these out: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 http://www.vbapro.com/xl_formats.htm tj "tommy" wrote: > I think Gord meant to include this article link: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213904 Gord Dibben wrote: > Tommy > > Read this KB article > > > > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:29:01 -0800, "tommy" <tommy@discussions...

About CAniButton on code guru
Hello, I run VC code found at following : http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/buttonctrl/print.php/c2053/ On my XP PC, it does not runs ideally, the pictures on buttons looks not transparent background. Thanks. //The problem is occurs at following code in CDIB::ConvertColor dcBitmap.SetBkColor(cr); dcBitmap.SetTextColor( RGB(255, 255, 255) ); dcBitmap.BitBlt(0, 0, m_nWidth, m_nHeight, &dcMask, 0, 0, SRCAND); ...

Select cell from range based on input in excel xp
I have a worksheet with a table of data in it. Based on user input generated from a pull down box that lists the values in the first column and another pulldown that lists the values in the first row of the table, how do I get the value of the field that is in the field where the row and column intersect? I want to read this value and use it in other formulas. Office XP Gary Once you get those values into the cells, you can use =index(match()) to return the value from the table. Debra Dalgleish's has some notes you may like: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html dingy10...

Dragging and replacing cell values
Hi, I would like to drag one cell to another on the same worksheet so that the contents from those cells are swapped. Eg. if I drag cell A2 to B3, then A2 replaces B3, and the content of A2 becomes what was in B3. I suspect this is not possible, so if not, is there a way (via a VB procedure) to select 2 cells and then click a procedure button to automatically swap the contents of the 2 selected cells. Thank you for any assistance. Rob Rob, You can't do that with drag and drop. Here's a macro that will swap the contents of two cells. Sub Swap() Dim Temp As Variant If Se...

How do update formula when change a number in another cell
Version: Excel 2003 If I have a column of numbers how do I change the total automatically if I enter a different number into one of the cells in the column? =SUM(A:A) provided there is nothing else in column A -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Duma" <Duma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3821BFEE-0422-431C-A919-77F7FF2AFEC8@microsoft.com... > Version: Excel 2003 > > If I have a column of numbers how do I change the total automatically if I > enter a different number into one of th...