color according to name

If the name "Dave" appears in B3, I want C3-Z3 to have a blue
background color.

What's that formula?

dzelnio

0
dzelnio (30)
7/5/2007 5:47:29 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select C3:Z3 and Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:

=$B3="Dave"

Format to Blue.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:47:29 -0700, dzelnio <dzelnio@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If the name "Dave" appears in B3, I want C3-Z3 to have a blue
>background color.
>
>What's that formula?
>
>dzelnio

0
Gord
7/5/2007 6:39:35 PM
Works great!

Thanks

Dave

On Jul 5, 1:39 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Select C3:Z3 and Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
>
> =$B3="Dave"
>
> Format to Blue.
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:47:29 -0700,dzelnio<dzel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >If the name "Dave" appears in B3, I want C3-Z3 to have a blue
> >background color.
>
> >What's that formula?
>
> >dzelnio

0
dzelnio (30)

variable column names in a report
i have an application where the user can enter self selected column names which then in turn are added to a table... application works fine. however, when it comes to reporting, how do i go about adding those self entered columns in a report? any help would be appreciated Do you actually need this in a report or can the results be pushed to Excel for printing? -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP Help me support UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "k2sarah" <k2sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56B6FD1-2F5B-45D5-8760-A61E3CA41495@microsoft.c...

Domain name msoffice.com.xx (Is it legal?)
I've searched through the web & found "msoffice.com.ua" being a registered entity in Russia. I intend to register a domain name also using "msoffice.com.<<our country>>" for Microsoft office consulation purpose. Microsoft itself is using "office.microsoft.com". Eventhough we click to "msoffice.com", it will still point to "office.microsoft.com". Does anybody know if the public can REALLY legally use "msoffice.com.<<our country>>" as a domain name? ...

Novice needing help printing sepia color photo
Hi - I need some help printing a photo that was taken in color then, using Picture It publishing 2001 I changed the color to a sepia tone. When I print to my Epson C60 it is lime green! I've found lots of very technical info on color management and am guessing I need to do something to adjust this, but cannot figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks ejb 1. This newsgroup is for Publisher, not Home Publishing. They have their own newsgroup. 2. I suggest you replace the color cartridge in your printer. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ejb&quo...

Sorting Cube dimension names in a Pivot Table
How do I get the dimension names in the "pivot table field list" sorted by the translated names? The pivot table field list contains: - one measure-node - one dimension node for each cube-dimension. The cube-dimension-nodes are represented by their translated names. It looks like, this names are not sorted by this translated names, but by the order of the data source. The related radio-buttons in the pivot-table-options are greyed ("A to Z" and "sort by data source"). I would need the "A" to "Z" order. Pleas notice! I...

Default Colors
How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are created (i.e. the Color Palette)? Tools>Options>Color "Chart Fills" Modify>Custom Tools>Options>Color "Chart Lines" Modify>Custom Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:38:02 -0700, "S.Jonsson" <jonsson@printecsystems.de> wrote: >How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are >created (i.e. the Color Palette)? > ...

database query/names issue, causing excel to be sluggish
I have an issue with an excel worksheet I've created. WorkbookA has "Names" which are used to define drop-down menus in WorksheetA. These "Names" are defined to reference a WorksheetB (also in WorkbookA) which itself is populated by a database query, pulling from another Excel WorkbookB. The logic is that WorkbookB should not be touched by the User, only an Admin, and Workbook A is used by User. The Names in WorkbookA are to prevent incorrect entries. Now that I've set it up, WorkbookA is moving really sluggish, but if I delete all the Names it speeds up again....

Can't open two Documents with same name !!
Hi: I install Office 97 in WinXP, works good except when I open a excel spreadsheet a windows always opens saying Can't open two Documents with same name. I click ok and everything works OK. How do I stop this warning I get all the time when I first open a Spreadsheet. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has a list of frequently asked questions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqIndex.html This one sounds like yours: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Owen wrote: > > Hi: I install Office 97 in WinXP, works good except when I > open a excel spreadsheet a windows alway...

CountIF by Background Color
Need a formula to count the cells in a range with a background color yellow (6). You can use this short UDF called CountYellow. Note that it only counts true background color, not format generated by conditional formatting. Detecting conditional formatting is quite a bit more complicated... Public Function CountYellow(r As Range) As Double Application.Volatile = True CountColor = 0 For Each c In r If c.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then CountColor = CountColor + 1 End If Next End Function -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you...

change default fill color
I have been searching the net and the KB but can not find answer or solution to this problem. I want my excel cell auto fill color to default to light grey instead of yellow. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it? Thanks for any help you can provide. Shawn You can create a new default template, with grey as the default fill colour: Create a new, blank workbook. Choose Tools>Options On the Colour tab, click on the yellow square Click Modify, select light grey that you want to use as the default, click OK To make yellow available, select the light grey square, and change it t...

How to count last name letters
Hi folks, I would like to know how I can count how many records have the same letter. For example, how many records start with the letter A, how many for letter B, etc. Seems simple enough, but I can't figure out how to work this. Would appreciate some help. Thanks. In news:uKD40b2rHHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, jason <jasonsantos-NOSPAM-@allstatesmedical.com> wrote: > Hi folks, > I would like to know how I can count how many records have the same > letter. For example, how many records start with the letter A, how > many for letter B, etc. > > Seems simple ...

How and where rename tab's name?

Cannot Omit or Change Name When Printing in Memo Style- Office 2003
Cannot Omit or Change Name When Printing in Memo Style by outlook 2003. Any help is appreciated. Leila Hello Leila, mmh, which name? Your name on the top? You could change it in the Account Options under Username. >-----Original Message----- >Cannot Omit or Change Name When Printing in Memo Style by >outlook 2003. Any help is appreciated. >Leila > >. > No, printing is pretty limited... You could hit forward or reply and print, then close the message. Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Vis...

Want to auto name worksheets
I work with a large spreadsheet that has several worksheets in it. Is it possible to create a macro that can copy the contents of a cell and then paste that as the new name for the worksheet? Reply to doc_cowher@yahoo.com Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Doc, this will do what you want, Sub Name_Sheet() ActiveSheet.Name = [A1] End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any re...

Flash Window Color
Hi I am using VC++. I have written a Dialog based application, the application alerts a user to various levels of alarms. When the og is minimised - I need the icon in the taskbar to flash various colors depending on the alarm level. At the moment I am using a timer and FlashWindow, however, this only flashes the icon the default colors (blue and grey). How can I change the Color of the flashing Icon? Thankyou very much in advance. Here is the code I am using at the moment: void CC7ServerDlg::OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent) { if(this->IsIconic()) { if(showErrors) { if(fl...

Report using Fields with the same name from different tables
Hello all - I created a db with no knowledge of naming convention. Now I am attempting to write some reports pulling data from tables with the same field names. Apparently Access doesn't like this....I attempted to change the names in the BE but when I relink the FE it is prompting for parameters. What is the best way to proceed? Thanks - Lee -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/201005/1 TheLee via AccessMonster.com wrote: >I created a db with no knowledge of naming convention. Now I am attempting to &...

2006 Isn't Adding Payee Name Variations
I like using the Payee Name Variation in MS Money. It was working exactly liked I wanted it to in MS Money 2005. Now that I have Money 2006, it isn't working at all and I THINK I have the same options checked in Online Settings. In 2005, I would get a downloaded payee like ALLSTATE INS CO INS PREM. I would change it to Allstate Insurance (before accepting)and the downloaded name would automatically pop into the Payee Name Variation box when I acceped the transaction. In 2006, if I change the downloaded payee before accepting, nothing is added to the Payee Name Variation box. I am having ...

Duplicate named ranges
Is it possible to have duplicate named ranges in a workbook? I am using Excel 2000 on a Windows 2000 system. I can acheive creating a duplicate named range in a workbook by doing a copy sheet into the same workbook but I am unable to create multiple named ranges in the ame workbook by other means. When I try to define the named ranges I get directed to the last copy defined. Is there a way around this? TIA George George, You can have workbook names that apply to the whole workbook, and worksheet names that only apply to that sheet and can be replicated on each sheet. To create the lat...

How to refer to tab names?
Hi all, I have around 50 tabs (worksheets) to deal with in a workbook. I have to come up with a summary in another worksheet that lists down the tab names and the total items in each tab. So, could anyone please help me figure out on how: 1. to refer to each of the tab names (i.e Food, Place,and etc.) and place them in a cell in another worksheet? 2. to refer to each count of the items at the end of the list for each tab? How can I do it without having to key in them individually? TQ. Use INDIRECT() as below. 'the below will refer to cell B10 of tab name specif...

Retrieving Windows' color settings
How do I retrieve Windows' color settings? For example, the default Windows Text is black and background is white. How do I retrieve the color (RGB values) for the Windows background? Have a look at GetSysColor API Victor "Charles Tam" <CharlesTam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:811FC86C-4703-433E-B529-A180F46CED79@microsoft.com... > How do I retrieve Windows' color settings? > For example, the default Windows Text is black and background is white. > > How do I retrieve the color (RGB values) for the Windows background? use SystemPa...

Naming range
Does anyone know how to name a range, so that I can export from excel into outlook? Several ways, easiest being to highlight it and put a name in the name box (to the left of the formula box) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kimmie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2953201c465ce$2542ce20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to name a range, so that I can > export from excel into outlook? try range(mynamedrange).select -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "BerHav" <BerHav@discussions.micr...

Table name in Expression builder not allowed?
I tried to do a simple calculation (on a form) but fail to understand this: =[UnitPrice]*[Quantity] works, however if I use the Tables list from (below) and construct the formula it shows as: [OrderDetails].UnitPrice * [OrderDetails].Quantity and it does not work. I get #Name error When field names are written as [UnitPrice] is it not a standard practice to name them as such? Somewhere I also see [OrderDetails]![UnitPrice] notation. Why? Thanks "dindigul" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in news:O9MdHWQEIHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > I tried to do a simple calculation ...

My color printer only prints black.
Greyscale is not selected. The print is in color on the page, but when I look at it in print preview it is black. And it only prints black in this program. I prints fine in color in Wordpad. Thanks Some HP printers will preview in greyscale but will print in color in Publisher 2007. My suggestion would be to check with the manufacturer's web site of your printer for an updated driver. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Cyclist" <Cyclist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A1F0C4-DE74-456A-B3B0-84EAF6224284@microsoft.com... > Greyscale is n...

Resource identifier naming conventions
Hello all, What's the difference between what the resource identifiers in the list below refer to? ID_* IDB_* IDC_* IDD_* IDI_* IDR_* Thanks, Dave I'll take a stab: ID_ a command ID (like in a menu) IDB_ an ID for a bitmap IDC_ an ID for a control on a dialog IDD_ an ID for a dialog IDI_ an ID for an icon IDR_ an ID for another kind of resource (toolbar, menu, etc.) Tom "Dave" <better_cs_now@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10indb5r69l6c2@news.supernews.com... > > Hello all, > > What's the difference between what the resource identifiers in the...

I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI
I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format. Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial. For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith. I need to make Smith, Jill and Smith, Jo Ann. Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing consecutive columns with incremental chan...

change background-color depending on cell-content
Hello, There is one cell per row which can have six different contents. Depending on what there is chosen, I like to change the background-color from different cells in the same row. How can I do that? Is it possible without VBA? Please help me! Hi, Have you tried to use the "Conditional formating" In the menu select Format->Conditional Formating PS: I have a portuguese version so I don't know if the terms in english are those I mention, but they must be similar. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >There is one cell per row which can have six differen...