collating information from multiple sources

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit of a newbie when
it comes to mucking around in excel, I've had a search but I don't
really know what to call what I want to do, so finding the answer is
tricky...

Anyway.  I have a dozen or so workbooks that are all of the same
format, 1 work sheet with a basic list of test scenarios in each, with
a unique reference for each row.
What I'd like to do is pull information from all those workbooks into a
separate workbook by the use of the unique reference.  i.e  If I type
in the unique reference in the master workbook, it will search through
the dozen workbooks and pull the information relevant to the key via a
vlookup.

I know how to do a vlookup across workbooks on a one-to-one
relationship, but recursing that through a dozen files in different
directories is stumping me.

Is this possible?  And if so, how would I do it?

Any pointers or examples would be much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

I think if I had to do this, the first thing I would do is put all the data from
the dozen worksheets/workbooks into one worksheet.

Then just use =vlookup() against that single worksheet.

Ron de Bruin has some sample code that may help:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0