clipboard doesn't always save contents

Is there a setting that lets Excel save clipboard contents until something
overwrites it? I'm on Excel 2003 and ever since I can remember when you
highlight a cell or a group of cells and then hit CTRL+C to copy the cell(s)
get marqueed. When you move to a different cell they can be copied. But if
you save the sheet or do various other things like deleting a different
sheet in the workbook the clipboard is erased so that you can no longer copy
them into anything else. If I were to copy some cells to the clipboard and
then close the workbook, I would not be able to paste that info into
somethign else for example a Word doc. This is the only program I know of
that behaves this way. If I open a Word doc and copy some of its contents to
the clipboard and then close the doc, the clipboard contents are still there
to be used as needed.

One point I should make, I don't have my Office multiclipboard turned on. I
have never liked that feature. It gets in the way too much so I'm not sure
if the same thing happens if that function is on.

In any event, I'd love to know how to have Excel maintain the clipboard
contents or if it's not possible, what is the thinking behind this?

Thanks,

Keith

0
krh (23)
10/12/2009 5:21:59 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
time and has never been fixed!

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html

:-)

0
krh (23)
10/12/2009 5:55:30 PM
Please elect to show the clipboard. You may then select what to Paste.

Keith G Hicks wrote:

> Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
> time and has never been fixed!
>
> http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html
>
> :-)

0
birelan (531)
10/13/2009 1:32:26 PM
Thanks Bob. That helps a bit. For that to work, you have to have the Office
Clipboard panel showing when you do the copy. Then you can paste whatever is
in it into other office files. But if you don't want the clipboard showing
(cuz it takes up too much space) then i guess your stuck. Thanks for the
info though. Like I said, it does help. At least now I know there's a
workaround.

> Please elect to show the clipboard. You may then select what to Paste.
>
> Keith G Hicks wrote:
>
>> Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
>> time and has never been fixed!
>>
>> http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html
>>
>> :-)

0
krh (23)
10/14/2009 12:30:07 AM
Thanks Bob. That helps a bit. For that to work, you have to have the Office
Clipboard panel showing when you do the copy. Then you can paste whatever is
in it into other office files. But if you don't want the clipboard showing
(cuz it takes up too much space) then i guess your stuck. Thanks for the
info though. Like I said, it does help. At least now I know there's a
workaround.

> Please elect to show the clipboard. You may then select what to Paste.
>
> Keith G Hicks wrote:
>
>> Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
>> time and has never been fixed!
>>
>> http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html
>>
>> :-)

0
krh (23)
10/14/2009 12:30:07 AM
 >  For that to work, you have to have the Office
 > Clipboard panel showing when you do the copy.

Hi.  If I understand, I believe you can hide the office clipboard  while
copying.  I may be wrong, as I haven't used it in a while.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP030823161033.aspx

 > Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a >
  LONG time and has never been fixed!

Just a guess on my part.  I believe that Excel works a little
differently because there are a lot of cells(2007:   17,179,869,184)
The reason one can select this many cells and do Ctrl+C and "copy"
instantaneously is because it actually doesn't copy.  It just sets a
reference.  It would take forever to copy this many cells, along with
the formatting.
It takes a while to copy 4 whole columns in Excel via the office
clipboard where it is actually copying.  If I remember, about 4 columns
is the memory limit of the office clipboard.
So, if there is anything that may compromise the integrity of the link,
then Excel closes the link.
In Excel 97, there was actually a way via programming to "trick" the
link and have a paste operation link incorrectly.  However, this was
fixed in later versions.

= = = = = =
Dana DeLouis

On 10/13/09 8:30 PM, Keith G Hicks wrote:
> Thanks Bob. That helps a bit. For that to work, you have to have the Office
> Clipboard panel showing when you do the copy. Then you can paste whatever is
> in it into other office files. But if you don't want the clipboard showing
> (cuz it takes up too much space) then i guess your stuck. Thanks for the
> info though. Like I said, it does help. At least now I know there's a
> workaround.
>
> "Bob I"<birelan@yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>> Please elect to show the clipboard. You may then select what to Paste.
>>
>> Keith G Hicks wrote:
>>
>>> Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
>>> time and has never been fixed!
>>>
>>> http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html
>>>
>>> :-)

0
ddelouis (141)
10/14/2009 3:08:37 AM
You may toggle viewing the Panel on and off at will. Please see
"Options" at the bottom of the Panel for more Options.

Keith G Hicks wrote:

> Thanks Bob. That helps a bit. For that to work, you have to have the Office
> Clipboard panel showing when you do the copy. Then you can paste whatever is
> in it into other office files. But if you don't want the clipboard showing
> (cuz it takes up too much space) then i guess your stuck. Thanks for the
> info though. Like I said, it does help. At least now I know there's a
> workaround.
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Please elect to show the clipboard. You may then select what to Paste.
>>
>>Keith G Hicks wrote:
>>

>>>Well I guess I'm not the only one that noticed this is broken for a LONG
>>>time and has never been fixed!
>>>
>>>http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2004/02/microsoft_excel.html
>>>
>>>:-)

0
birelan (531)

always save back up, save as, tools, properties
Excel 2003. I was wondering if there was a way to have the feature "always save back up" in File >Save As > Tools > General Options > save the file to a different folder/directory than the orginal document? Thanks. Kenlyn No. You can however, use before_save event code to save the file to another folder and the original folder. Note: will overwrite the E:\GordStuff\Backup\ file without asking. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs Filename:="E:\GordStuff\Ba...

Excel won't save
Just started to have a problem with Excel not saving my work. I have a worksheet set up to do my invoicing. When I'm done inputing my new information and before I close; I; of course will want to save. If I press the "Save" icon in the tool bar, Excel will show that it is saving the worksheet in the lower tool bar. It will say "saving Master Invoice" and then ready. If I close and re-open the worksheet; I will find that nothing was saved. I have tried using the menu item "File" and then "Save as" and I get the same results. My only saving grac...

Saving a scrollable image in bitmap and jpeg format
I have a picture control in which i am diaplaying images of various sizes if size go beyond the size of the dialog then scrollbars becomes active so view the hidden image. But when wriiten two functions to save that bitmap following problems occured: 1> For the first function it was saving only viewable area of teh bitmap 2> for second if i have specified the dimensions as 800 X 600 and picture control diamensions is 345 X 330 then it is taking area outside dialog to get image of the 800 X 600 How can i save the image with same dimensions with which i am displaying it ? Thanking in ant...

Outlook 2003
Hi, Anyone know if it is possible to save multiple calendar selection views in Outlook 2003 yet ? For example a receptionist may have the ability to view say twenty or so users calendars. When she closes Outlook and opens it up again she has to select them all over again. I see lots of people wanting to do this and being told that it's not possible...or at least the posts I've read thus far. Jim. ...

Automatically update content of a paragraph from earlier paragraph
Hi there, Not sure if this is possible or not, but I have a word document that has paragraphs that are repeated throughout the document. The paragraphs say the exact same thing but as it stands now if I edit one paragraph I have to go and update the other paragraphs manually so the content remains the same. For example I have a list of recommendations on the fourth page of my document and also on the last page of my document. The list of recommendations is supposed to be identical, so if I make the change in one list I have to manually change the other list as well. Therefore ...

Excel 2000 crashes Win98 when I save. All reloads failed.
I'm running Office 2000 and Windows 98. Excel crashes badly when I save. Two Ctrl-Alt-Deletes get me as far as "exit excel" but that doesn't work. I always have to reboot. I have reloaded Windows 98 twice. I have removed Office 2000 completely and then reloaded it, again twice. I don't have antivirus software on this machine. Other machines with antivirus aren't detecting any virus activity on my zip disk files. I at least have a router and I don't use MS Outlook, which cuts down on viral attacks. Yahoo mail screens incoming email files. Is there s...

Saving chinese file attachments
Hi, I have noticed a strange thing happening with Outlook. If I receive a chinese file as attachment then while the mail shows the name of the file correctly (ie in chinese) but if i try to save it to my machine the file name appears garbled. I tried the same with Outlook Express and it works fine. Can any one out there help me in this. I have already set my Regional Settings from the control panel to simplified chinese and enabled Simplified chinese in the Microsoft Language Settings. I am not using Exchange. Ours is a Linux mail server and I am using POP3. Thanks in advance, ...

Cannot save bills after editing
After editing bills or deposits, I am unable to save the changes. I hit the OK button and nothing happens. When I leave the page Money tells me my changes will not be saved. If I try to edit while recording the bill or deposit the new amounts will record correctly in that instance and when it asks if I want to save the changes I get a cannot write to file error. Any ideas, Tom "Tom" <wtrdog-at-citlkink-dot-net> wrote in message news:LE2Uc.1285$fR4.1032@news01.roc.ny... > After editing bills or deposits, I am unable to save the changes. > I hit the OK button and n...

Save as CSV file leaves CELLS content between quotation marks

How do I work in excel and then save it as a doc or docx?
I need to be able to work in excell and then save it in doc or docx format. If I cannot do this, can I make doc or docx so that I can use the automatic sum? In Word, you can use AutoSum of the Tables and Borders toolbar to sum the values in table. But when you change the values, you need to right-click the total value to refresh it. It can not update auto. Lee Li Fong http://smartusemicrosoftoffice.blogspot.com/ Hi Nadine, You can open a Word document and Insert -> Object -> Microsoft Excel Worksheet Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

Saving as web page
When publishing spreadsheets as web pages I would like to set the page to fit within a full screen view. I have some that fit and some that don't and I've worked with the formats in Excel to fit everything within the screen on all of them, but that doesn't seem to help. Can I set the format to do this? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Jeff ...

Excel 2007 "document not saved" when on a network share AND file set as an offline file
Hello~ Have this annoying REPEATABLE problem with Excel 2007 running on Vista Business saving to a share on Windows Server 2003. On the client, Vista and Excel all up-to-date with SPs, the machine is part of a domain, and some files on different shares are set to be available offline. On the server, Windows 2003 also up-to-date, the client user has full permissions in all the directories in question - both share permissions and NTFS permissions), and the directory is set to make only files users specify to be available offline. Client has no problem opening and saving files in Excel that ar...

How to Show Folder Contents as "Tiles" in 4 Columns?
In windows explorer, when displaying the contents of a folder, I would like to display the contents as tiles in 4 columns. Anyone know how to do this? I don't want to use a "thumbnails" view or an "icons" view--I want to use a "tiles" view, and I would like to get 4 columns, but I can't find any way to change the existing 3 column display format. I have looked for various folder options or preferences in windows explorer, but I don't see anything that will help. Any ideas? Thanks. As a test, I just displayed Windows Explorer in s...

Saving a file as the "date" it was created
I have a load of spreadsheets that I need to file in the same folder. The problem is each one has the same filename. Does anyone know how to save a file as the date that it was created on thus saving me having to go through 100's of files and do it manually. Thanks Dave Woodgate Activeworkbook.SaveAs Filename:=Format(Now,"yyyymmdd hhmmss")&" "&Activeworkbook.Name -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "Dave" <dave.woodgate@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147856944.197931.244350@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups....

How to save a CSV?
I want to save a CSV file but not seperated with comma not semicolon, plus quoted string values. How to change the settings while saving a CSV file? You can change the separator by changing the windows list separator under control panel regional settings (number tab). But I'm not aware of anything that will change how quotes are applied. If excel thinks it needs them, you get them. If excel doesn't think it needs them, you don't get them. But you could write your own macro to extract the data in whatever form you want: Some sample code to get you started: Earl Kiosterud&...

Save single worksheet from workbook using the sheet name?
Gday, I have had a search through some of the previous questions and I cant quite find what I am looking for, I have a master sheet which I split into seperate sheets using one of Debra Dalgleishs macros all works fine. However my next step is to save each of these sheets into seperate folders using the individual sheet name. As ever I hope this isnt too muddled a question! Any help would be greatly appreciated TIA Ajay Ajay, You need to copy it to its own workbook and save that Worksheets("Sheet1").Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= "myfile.xls" -- H...

excel file saves
I've created a fill and print form in Excel. The form contains a name field that we would like to use as the file name. Basically when we select save as it would go to the name box field and autofill the name on the save line. Example; P:/Work/Equipment/Jim Jones.xls P:/Work/Equipment/Robert Brown.xls You might want to try creating a macro called something like SpecialSave that contains the following code line ThisWorkbook.SaveAs ("a1") where A1 contains the text you want to use as the file name. Needless to say, you will need to use the same cell for the file name, u...

Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?
I download data that gives me sales number by individual day. I build a pivot table to get total sales by day and then group the process day by month or quarter. Sometimes this works perfectly, while other times I get the message 'Cannot group that selection'. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a limit to the number of rows or columns that can be grouped? You'll see that error message if the date field contains a blank cell, or text entry. There's a bit more information, and some workarounds, here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems JLM wr...

Content redirect
Hi: I'm trying to set up my mail account in Officezilla. I get an error message: Server Object Error asp 0177:800401f3' Server create object failed. mail/mailutils.com/contentredirect.asp. Would someone be kind enough to translate this into English? Thanks, John Furey -- John Furey, CVO Shalom Communications Inc. > I'm trying to set up my mail account in Officezilla. I get an error > message: > Server Object Error asp > 0177:800401f3' > Server create object failed. > mail/mailutils.com/contentredirect.asp. > Would someone be kind enough to translate ...

How do I save email message from Ms Outlook eg In Box or folders .
good day. i would like to back up email message save in Outlook folders on a hard disck. Can you tell me how to do this? Program = MS Outlook 2003 Thank you On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:11:01 -0800, "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >good day. > >i would like to back up email message save in Outlook folders on a hard >disck. Can you tell me how to do this? Program = MS Outlook 2003 > All of your mail, contacts, etc. are in a file with a .pst extension. Make certain that you can view hidden files before you do a search for your .pst file. When...

excell won't print wants to save not print
microsoft excell won't print when hit the print button comes up with a save button then wont still print . Look in your printer settings, seems like you have the default printer setup to a driver that prints to a file maybe a PDF driver set as default printer? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "medic13" <medic13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF38DCF8-8BC2-47FB-BE6C-D1CD9DFEBE1A@microsoft.com... > microsoft excell won't print when hit the print button comes up with a > save > button then wont still print . ...

Printer always starts with linefeeds
Hello NG, when I start printing, my dot matrix printer begins with some linefeeds, although I don't know why. Is there a possibility to reset the printer? Or do you know how I achieve to make the printer start printing in line 1? Thanks for help, Guido Perhaps you are sending some faulty initialization data to the printer. Lot's of printers respond to bad characters (that they don't recognize) by trying to interpret them and it ususally ends up either being line feeds, form feeds, or just gibberish on the page. Take a look at the data you are sending to the printer. Are y...

CEdit EN_CHANGE event is triggered twice on changing selected content?
Hi, I have the following problem: Normally, the EN_CHANGE event of a CEdit control is triggered once, if the caret is set within the control and a key is pressed. But if the caret is not only set but the content of the control is selected, the event is triggered twice! The thing is, I open a dialog window on the EN_CHANGE event. If the content of the edit control is not selected when changing it, the control gets updated immediately before the dialog is opened. But if the content is selected and is changed, the dialog gets opened BEFORE the change of the edit control gets visible. AFTER closi...

Password Won't Save
I recently upgraded to MS Outlook 2003. Since the upgrade, my password will not save. Each time I "Send/Receive" I must enter my password. Any ideas what's going on? Hi John, maybe you need this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259416 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de ...

Listing the contents of a network directory
All, I need to list within a web page the contents of a network directory, this needs to be based on the user permissions of the user viewing the web page. For example, User A can see the following directories : dirA dirB dirC User B has only rights to the following directories : dirA dirB Directory 'dirC' will remain hidden from to User B. The displaying of files within a network directory is easy enough, it's the displaying of files based on user permissions that's the issue. Any comments/suggestions welcome! TIA Iain On Mar 11, 9:41=...