Clear data button for workbooks

Does anyone know how to create a button or tab that you can click on, in
the workbook, that will delete data in the worksheets.

I've made an overtime tracking spreadsheet that calculates hours over a
14 week period. (14 worksheets) However, after the quarter or 14 week
period is over I currently have to go back and delete all the data
hours in the workbook in order to start a new 14 week period.  I'd like
to create one button(cell) that I can click on that will clear all data
for me.  Any ideas or advice?

thanks,

tim

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tim, how about clicking the square above the 1 and next to the A to select
all cells and press delete?

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"takatross" <takatross.vbf4y@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to create a button or tab that you can click on, in
> the workbook, that will delete data in the worksheets.
>
> I've made an overtime tracking spreadsheet that calculates hours over a
> 14 week period. (14 worksheets) However, after the quarter or 14 week
> period is over I currently have to go back and delete all the data
> hours in the workbook in order to start a new 14 week period.  I'd like
> to create one button(cell) that I can click on that will clear all data
> for me.  Any ideas or advice?
>
> thanks,
>
> tim

newspab (272)
10/15/2003 12:55:16 AM
One solution is to create a template that you can reuse:

1. Make a copy of your spreadsheet, and delete all the data
     that will change each month.
2. Choose File>Save As
3. Type a name for the template, e.g. Overtime
4. From the 'Save as type' dropdown, choose Template (*.xlt)
     The file name will change to an .xlt extension.
5. The template folder should automatically appear in the 'Save in'
      dropdown at the top of the dialog box.
6. Click Save
7. Close the template.

At the start of the next 14 week period, choose File>New.
If you're using Excel 2002, from the Task Bar, under Templates, click on
'General Templates', select your template, and click OK.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/15/2003 1:03:57 AM
Tim, after reading Debra's post I see where you might not want to "clear all
data", just to give you another option you could select all the cells you
want to clear and name them, insert, name, define and then use something
like this with the defined name as My_Range, and assign it to a button.

Sub Clear_Data()
Range("My_Range").ClearContents
End Sub

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> Tim, how about clicking the square above the 1 and next to the A to select
> all cells and press delete?
>
> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Using Excel 2000 & 97
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> "takatross" <takatross.vbf4y@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know how to create a button or tab that you can click on, in
> > the workbook, that will delete data in the worksheets.
> >
> > I've made an overtime tracking spreadsheet that calculates hours over a
> > 14 week period. (14 worksheets) However, after the quarter or 14 week
> > period is over I currently have to go back and delete all the data
> > hours in the workbook in order to start a new 14 week period.  I'd like
> > to create one button(cell) that I can click on that will clear all data
> > for me.  Any ideas or advice?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > tim

> > ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/
> > ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
newspab (272)

Data conversion problem, thanks
double temp = 4232323232323.23432 how to convert to a String that just stores only 4232323232323 Thanks in advanced pcserver wrote: > double temp = 4232323232323.23432 > how to convert to a String that just stores only > > 4232323232323 > > Thanks in advanced double MyDouble = 4232323232323.23432; CString MyString; MyString.Format("%.0f", MyDouble); thanks ...

option buttons
How do you group different sets of option buttons. When I create a form with option buttons, all the buttons are linked so only one button can be selected. tia Rich, Create a Group Box, and put the option buttons inside it. For each different set of options, use a new Group Box. Dan E "Rich" <rich@jhara.com> wrote in message news:043401c38dd5$e3cf9b10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do you group different sets of option buttons. When > I create a form with option buttons, all the buttons are > linked so only one button can be selected. > > tia If you don&#...

Associate External Data with an added column
Hi All, I would like to associate an additional column with some information that I get by using an external query in excel. Whenever I do the refresh, my data columns don't always line up. Is there a way to tie the data to a particular key. For example, I have a customer number and their name that come from a database. I then add an additional column called comments. I then requery the database and my data no longer lines up if more customers were added. Check for help on the VLOOKUP function; it retrieves data from another table based on a common key. So you'd get y...

Pivot Table Data Fields Won't Total
Hello, I'm trying to create a chart to display 3 categories (ATM,VRU,WWW). I get the Data from a SQL script which I then import into an Excel spreadsheet. One of the columns is numbers and I format the column as "Number" with two decimal places. When I create the Pivot Table only one of the criteria fields (ATM)will give me a total. The other two fields keep amounting to zero. I've even tried to skip the Pivot Chart and just insert Sub-Totals into the spreadsheet choosing to insert the total after each change in criteria type; but still only one type of criteria will ...

How to implement a transparent button?
I'm trying to make a flat and transparent button, something similar to the TSpeedButton in Delphi. By saying transparent, I mean the background of the button is transaparent, which is quite important for those buttons on a bitmapped dialog. I have no difficulty in drawing text and bitmaps in a CButton-derived class, but transparency seems to be another thing. Any suggestions? Hello Try looking in www.codeproject.com . I am sure you might find lots of controls there similar to what you need. -- Elias "zwvista" <zwvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Excel Data Input Box
Hi Everyone, This is my dilemma. I am looking for a way to create a data input box that will put data into a spreadsheet one entry at a time and then drop down a cell. I want to put the information into a spreadsheet in a uniform fashion. Gary Don't understand your need. If you enter data in A1 then <ENTER> you will drop down to next cell. "Uniform fashion" means what? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:56:00 GMT, "GaryC" <u16704@uwe> wrote: >Hi Everyone, >This is my dilemma. I am looking for a way to create a data input box that >...

Quickly Format Multiple Data Series in One chart
I do a lot of charts that contain spectral data. I'll have 20-30 data series and I plot them as a XY scatter using the line only format. However the default thickness in XL 2007 is way too fat and consequently I loose any ability to differentiate the series. So far the only way I've been able to change this is by actually selecting each individual series and changing the thickness. Is there a way to change the default line thickness to 1/2 pt? Or at least to change all the series in a chart in one go? In Excel 2007, if all you are changing is one single attribute of a serie...

How do you copy a sheet (with Formulas) to another Workbook?
I have two separate files. I want to copy one of the files into a new “Sheet” in the other file. However, when I do that I lose all of the formulas. All that copies over are the calculated values. Is there a way to copy over all of the formulas just like in the original file? Markpecz, Use the Paste Special with Formulas option. HTH "markpecz" wrote: > I have two separate files. > I want to copy one of the files into a new “Sheet” in the other file. > However, when I do that I lose all of the formulas. > All that copies over are the calculated values. >...

format the data fields in address box
I cannot click into the data fields to insert spaces or line breaks or punctuation. Fileds appear in one long string separated by commas. stay in one thread please. Where are you seeing the field as one long string? Sounds like you're talking about a csv file not xls. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "jankappes" <jankappes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:766A75DF-A39E-4EF6-908F-3977140D34BA@microsoft.com... > I cannot click into the data fields to insert spaces or line breaks or > punctuation. Fileds appear in o...

Excel Workbooks #4
Everyday I use excel with several workbooks open. Below on the taskbar I can see the excel icons for workbook 1 2 3 and so forth. Today I started work and opened excel. Opened my workbooks and now I have no open workbook icons in the taskbar. Nothing is windows hidden and I did nothing before leaving yesterday to change excel. I'm now working with three excel programs running to switch between workbooks. How can I correct the behavior as I need one excel open with workbook icons listed for perusal. Thanks Joe F Joe, Ctrl+tab will move you though all open workbooks, to put them back in...

Saving an entire workbook as a PDF using VBSCript
Hello all! I'm using a VBScript file which I've added to Server 2003 scheduler to automatically open up Excel, load it with a workbook which is in turn populated with data, print it out, dynamically come up with a filename which is figured off of the current date and time which is then appended to the original filename of the workbook, save it in HTML format, then close itself. Works like a charm. I've decided I don't want to save the file in HTML format but would instead like to save it in PDF. The reason being is HTML files can modified by any with a text editor. ...

Enable Data Groups to be centrally administrated
Enable the capability to centrally manage the data groups for remote Outlook Laptop. This would include the creation, modifying, or removing of data group definitions along with selective deployment to the remote Outlook Laptop client users. Some of the benefits of having a centrally managed environement for Data Groups would include: Users would not have to be trained on how to define and use their data groups. This would help reduce support resources when troubleshooting a user's issue of missing data. A new user type could have proven data groups deployed to them quiclkly. --...

Data Migration Manager and sample data on RTM VPC
Hi I am having problems importing the sample data using the data migration manager. I followed the steps in the Sample Data Readme. I am logged in on the VPC as litwareinc\administrator. I can connect, import the sample data map, and start a new migration based on a previous migration. I progress as far as the validation stage of the migration job. But at the validation stage it hangs for a long time (a few minutes), without actually validating any of the files. The "currently processing" field is empty, i.e. it does not even start to process any of the files (or at least fail to ...

configuring and inserting data in the outlook express thru html
Hi, I want to insert the to, from, cc, bcc, subject and text data from the html to outlook express. How to configure outlook express throught html provide html tags with attributes to handle outlook express thanks in advance by Nandakumar ...

Data Access Page 04-07-10
I'm trying to make a data access page. The design view is similar to the the form design view, but when I try to insert a sub-group (like a sub-form), all the information disapear. And I just can see the title. Could you help me. ...

Forcing a record write with a form button?
I have a form that has buttons that call other forms (not subforms, completely separate forms to be opened, but accessing some of the same data). When the user clicks the button on the primary form to bring up one of the other forms, I need to force the primary record to be updated to avoid a later update conflict. I know where to put the code/statement I need, but I don't know what the actual statement is to force an update of the displayed record. Thanks, +Bob+ wrote: > I have a form that has buttons that call other forms (not subforms, > completely separate forms to be opene...

Prompt to select from a list in another workbook
While creating a new service job, I would like users to have a list of jobs to select from for input into the service registry. The job list resides in another workbook. Is it possible to prompt for an input in VBA selected from another sheet or workbook? -- Jim Try this : Sub Choose_from_List() ' myForm is your userform containing a list box to select the item ' myList is the list box zWorkbook = "My Other List.xls" ' being the file containing the list zListSheet = "My List Sheet" ' being the sheet on which the ...

copying page setups within a workbook
The first page in my workbook is formatted exactly the way I want all pages in the workbook to look, INCLUDING the page set-up i.e. header, footer, paper size, margins etc... How do I copy these setting to subsequent pages within my work book? Thanks, doc Select the page that has all the formatting. Hold down <Ctrl> and select the other page tabs that you wish to have the same format. After you release <Ctrl>, make sure your *master* page tab is in bold. Now go into page set-up and simply click <OK>. -- HTH, RD =======================================================...

Outlook 2003 Delete Button
A user recently had Outlook 2003 reinstalled. Originally (he says) that he could click on a message in the inbox and and delete the message by clicking on the X key on the standard toolbar and that this would automatically take him into the next message. This is not happening now. Instead he deletes the message and he is brought back into the Inbox where he has to double-click on the next message to open it. Is there a way to set this delete command so that after it deletes it automatically goes to the next message in that same window withour having to go back into the inbox agai...

Template With Data Tracking
I want to make a template that will add to a database every time it i saved. I looked at the template wizard with data tracking and it looks lik the right sort of idea but I can only link single cells. I want to set my tempate up so that is is like a mini database wit space for 20 records and each time someone adds a record and saves th sheet, it will be added to a central database (so exactly like th template wizard but with more than 1 cell linked to a field)? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Transfer contact data
How do I transfer my Windows Live Mail contacts from my desktop to my laptop? Thanks Sign in with the same Live ID you use on the desktop. Syncing of contacts will be automatic. You do sign-in, right? Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Mike" wrote in message news:A23BAF6E-3E5D-442D-B25E-22B35A97DB62@microsoft.com... How do I transfer my Windows Live Mail contacts from my desktop to my laptop? Thanks If not using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live in Windows Live = Mail(any version 2008, 2009 or 2010-beta) - export your contacts to a csv file, then imp...

Last cell of data in a column
I have a file with several worksheets, each of which contains a different concert tour schedule. Each schedule is different from the other in terms of number of show dates. Column A contains the individual dates. Cell A1 contains the formula "=TODAY()", and cell A2 contains the very first date of each tour. What I need to do is write a formula in cell B1 that compares cell A1 (today's date) with the first and last date of each schedule. - If the first date (cell A2) is a future date, cell B1 should display "Future". - If the first date has passed but the last date i...

normalizing data
I have a data set of roughly 3600 data points and would like to convert it to 1000 data points while still maintaining the shape of the curve. I am currently using excel 2007, but I need the file to be compatible with the older versions of excel as well. So, you are looking to remove, say, 2 of every three data points... Try this... assuming your data is in cells A2 - A3600 =IF(MOD(ROW(A2),3)=0,"","X") Then, filter your data, use the drop-down to select your X fields, then delete those rows. this will leave @ 1000 records acrosss your spectrum. "Vance" ...

using data tables to create XML
So I created my dataset class. Then added my datatables and the columns to the data tables. What I want to do is when I fill the datatable have one of the columns be another datatable so that I can create my complex type when I get the XML. So lets say I have two tables Stop_Location and Stop_Address Table Stop_Location Column Stop_Name Column Stop_City Column Stop_Address Table Stop_Address Column Stop_Address1 Column Stop_Address2 Then when I fill table Stop_Location I would like Stop_Address to actually be the columns from table Stop_Address. I tried to mak...

Delete Field Data if Another Field Has Data
Hi, I wonder if someone may be able to help me please. I have a subform called sfrmJobs which contains amongst others two fields, one called 'Predicted Date', the other ,'Actual Date'. What I would like to be happen is, if a date is keyed into the 'Actual Date' box, any date keyed into the 'Predicted Date' text box is deleted and then locks the 'Predicted Date' field for that record, but, to be honest I haven't got a clue where to start, or indeed whether it's possible. Could someone possibly help me put with this problem please? ...