Checking text length.

I have a large list of names (about 2500) in microsoft excel but I need to
find all cells within a column that have a text length of more than 30
characters including spaces. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to
start counting?
Thanks.
Chris.

0
chrisd79 (3)
7/27/2004 10:26:05 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
one way:
- select your data (e.g. cells A1:A3000)
- goto 'format - Conditional Format)
- enter the following formula
=LEN(A1)>30
- choose a format to highlight these cells

0
frank.kabel (11126)
7/27/2004 10:57:35 AM
I like Frank's suggestion, but I think I'd insert another column (say a new
column A) and put:

=len(b1)
and drag down

then I'd apply Data|Filter|autofilter to that column.

Then filter on greater than 30.

Those rows with long names will stay visible.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Oct 31st-Nov 14th - Totaldicks Rock Tokyo
Totaldicks (aka Total Dicks) starring Anand Bhatt and James Buban of the popular tribal hardcore group Anand clique are in Tokyo this October 31st thru November 15th 2003. CNsR0HS750ff766P0NiWylyikaEz90Mjofg2Ci6LuzQB7Q8IQp7wqmyW0rFLl6DkwedRGo1zj9vn70 ...

Text colour printing problem
Hi, We are having problems printing a spreadsheet from a workmate computer. Most of the data is black with the exception of a of a fe rows where the text is red. when the user tries to print the documen comes out in greyscale, I have checked all settings and confiqs an still it prints greyscale, I even opened a new worksheet and typed ou a red test test page, and this prints correctly. I compared th settings of the two sheets; my test one and the orignal sheet and ther was no noticable difference. The machine is running Win 2K Pro wit Excel 2000. I hope someone can please shed some light on t...

Adding text to graphs
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) In earlier versions of Excel, after I'd drawn a graph, I put insert text on the graph itself to comment on lines or identify features. Is this still possible? If so, how? ...

Acc2002: Crosstabs: Column header length limit?
Dear all, crosstabs in Access 2002 seem to have a limit for the length of column headers: 20 characters. Queries with headers that differ only after the first 20 characters do not work. Any suggestions to get it work? Is there, e.g., any registry parameter that could be adjusted? Thanks for every hint, JotKa I think you would find the same thing to be true for field names in a table or controls on a form. AFAIK, there is no workaround. Make sure the first 20 characters are unique. -- HTH, George "JotKa" <JotKa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B12...

Replacing text with number.
I have attached a copy of part of the worksheet I am working with. The original sheet has over 35000 rows. In Column A is the ID#, I would like to replace "DID or DN" (text) in column B with the ID# in Column A and have it make the change for Column B when the ID# in a Changes. Is this possible? Thanks for any help. Yolanda Hi not really sure but why not place the following formula in B1 =IF(A1<>"",A1,"") and copy down for all rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Yo wrote: > I have attached a copy of part of the worksheet I am working wi...

Wrap text around certain section/paragraph
Hi, I have a paragraph and a table on a page. I want to wrap all text around that certain page. That is no matter what happens, that one paragraph and the table underneath it should stay on page 16!!! I have searched for 2 hours already... cant find solution You can't wrap text around an entire page. Anything that is text-wrapped must be anchored to a text paragraph. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "VBforlifeYO" <VBforlifeYO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9B...

Text Rotation
Hi, In Word 2007, I can rotate the text left or right but I need the upside down text (180 degree) in edit able format i.e. able to update in Mail Merge process. Any one now how this task can be accomplish without an option of Word Art or using Paint software to flipping the text. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated I use a shape box. Go to Insert, Shapes, then select a square. Type your text. Now go to the Text Box Tools tab and click Format (if it is not already showing). From here you will be able to remove the Shape Outline/Fill and will be able to rot...

Huge Av Disk Queue Length #2
Hi guys We have a 2 cluster Exchange 2003 environment. Approx 150 mailboxes, average 500MB, about 20 or so as large as 3GB. 4 storage groups, 4 mailbox stores per group, each store on it's own physical mirrored disk, logs on seperate physical disks. Compaq servers, dual Xeon, 3GB RAM, fast SCSI disks. The problem we have is occasionaly Outlook will grind to a halt on certain machines, particularly the PA's who have up to 10 shared calenders open. I've set a performance monitor to check average disk queue length on each of the disks. Most are fine and rarely go above 10 or so...

Searching for text
Max helped first maybe again? :) I have a search that I want it to look for two separate values in the same search string. the search is embedded in an if statement like so... =IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),"",ROW())) Search is looking for 11 right now and I also want it to look for 12. I have tried several different scenarios but can not seem to get it to work. Is this possible to do? Thanks C C, =IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(OR(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),ISERROR(SEARCH("12",B3))), "",ROW())) HTH, Bernie MS ...

Sort text Values in Numeric Order
I changed a field type in Access from Number to Text to allow 1a, 1b, etc. and now when the data is imported into my Excel workbooks, the order is still sorting as text (1, 10, 100, 101, 2, 20, etc.). Any thought son how to get it to sort correctly now? Thanks! Karl, IN an adjacent column add this formula =--A1 copy down and then sort by the helper column. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Karl Burrows" <karlspam@spam.yourbeacon.com> wrote in message news:uSRbPcxmFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I changed a field type in...

Displaying a text file immediately after creating it.
I have a section of code that needs to output to a text file using CStdioFile and then immediately display it using notepad. I have tried the following, but it doesn't find the file. However, if I go to window explorer, the file is there. Any Ideas? CStdioFile af; if (af.Open(theApp.WORKDIR+"steerprt.txt",CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite)) { af.WriteString(tstr); af.Flush(); af.Close(); } HWND mainhwnd = GetSafeHwnd(); ret1 = (int) ShellExecute(mainhwnd,"open",theApp.WORKDIR+"steerptr.txt","",theApp.WORKDI...

Sorting numbers as Text
I frequently work with a lists of text data, some of which consists of digits or digits + alpha characters. These are always formatted as tect fields. When I sort them i get a dialog box asking if I would rather sort digits as numbers or as text. Sorting as text provides the result I need, so I always select that and it works fine My question is, how can I skip having to answer this question over and over and over? Is there a configuration option thats says 'leave me alone - I know what I am doing' ? Thanks for any help. I've never seen the message you refer to - what versio...

Check out this corrective patch from the M$ Corporation
--ksdfunodrcfcnid Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="oxwfzzgjfnyurj"; type="multipart/alternative" --oxwfzzgjfnyurj Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mwloylryjj" --mwloylryjj Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer...

Text Box In Report
I used this expression in my text box in report =(Abs(Sum(([mthtag]="Current Month" And [ACCTSTAT]="Current")*[NET_BAL]))) How to use sort of the same expression of the above but to display text data only. I tried to use this expression but failed =([mthtag]="Current Month" And [ACCTSTAT]="Current")*[Branch] Thanks =IIf([mthtag]="Current Month" And [ACCTSTAT]="Current",[Branch],"") "zyus" wrote: > I used this expression in my text box in report > > =(Abs(Sum(([mthtag]="Current...

Is there a Date Time Conversion from text?
I have DateTime stored as text in an Access db field. Ex: 1/22/2008 10:34:29 AM I want to convert this data form text to a real DateTime value all inclusive. I am able to pull the date DateValue and time TimeValue, but is there a way to get them both together. Thanks Try using CDate or DateAdd DateAdd("D",0,[Your Text Date Time]) CDate([Your text date time]) If your string field could be null, or a zero-length string, or invalid, then I suggest you test it first IIF(IsDate([Your Text Date Time]),CDate([Your Text Date Time]),Null) -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2...

Merging Cells + Wrapping text = losing wrap after about 200 words
Hi - I've created a form in Excel where I have merged cells and wrapped the text to make it readable. However, when over about 200 words are entered, the wrapping in the cell discontinues and the words do not appear anymore. Can anyone HELP ME??? thanks, Heather ...

How long can Payroll Check Building USUALLY take?
I'm running a payroll test for a group of people (541) and the process is taking forever. I'm following the process with SQL Server Profiler and I see a lot of things happening, but I dont know if the time that it is taking is normal... Thoughts? 541? Well then this depends on how may payroll transactions we are also talking about. Plus, we don't know anything about your hardware configuration. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com...

Specifying "Distance from Text" in Formatting Picture
I want to increase the "Distance from Text" when formatting a picture. I deselect Automatic and specify 0.24" for all four dimensions. The page looks great. I save the file. When I re-open it, my specifications are gone and the Automatic box is checked. Why is it reverting, and what can I do to stop it? Losing the specified distance from text messes up the formatting of the whole page. I cannot duplicate this in Publisher 2003. I tried formatting both the image and the text box in various ways, still I can save it and reopen with the formatting remaining in tact. Are you...

How to change tick mark labels in z axis from values to texts?
I am drawing a column chart for the dynamic scales in a music piece. Data value in the z axis refers to other customary names (texts). For example, 7 represents ff (fortissimo), 6 represents f (forte), 5 for mf (mezzo forte), etc. I want to show these customary names instead of the values in the labels. Could anybody teach me how to change these tick mark labels in z axis from values to texts? One correction. The labels I want to change is in the Y axis. Thanks. "Flroa" wrote: > I am drawing a column chart for the dynamic scales in a music piece. Data > value in the z...

Check that corrective package
--fiwkyhoyfwe Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="tsjpcypfsthsjb"; type="multipart/alternative" --tsjpcypfsthsjb Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hvxkeouhosx" --hvxkeouhosx Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to ...

Printing RTF text using a hidden CRichEditCtrl
Hi there, is it possible to print text using a hidden CRichEditCtrl? I was using some code from the article: http://www.codeproject.com/printing/richeditprint.asp In my application I do not always display the text. Sometimes I just need to put toghether some rtf text using template files and print the text. Here is the code I'm trying to make to work. I'm checking return values and cannot find any problems, except that the printer doesn't do anything. void CMainFrame::OnClickherePrint() { // Read In text. std::ifstream in( ".\\template.rtf" ); std::string st...

CREATE & PRINT TEXT POSTCARDS
Hi I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to create & print Text postcards There will be about 150 cards each with different info for a Church art festival. Each card will contain Number Name of artist Title of painting Medium Price I intend to print the cards on a Canon Inkjet printer, one card at a time from the sheet feeder I'm unsure how to go about creating the templates for cards Can anyone offer helpful suggestions please -- Martin ���� The only solution that comes to mind is in the Pub file make each card a page. After you've created the 150 pages, print....

How to align columns of text in a CEdit Control?
Is it possible to align text in columns in a CEdit control? I'm using stringstream to print the formatted text to a variable. When I send it to a text file , it looks good, but when I send it to a multiline edit box - the columns don't line up..but they are correct. Not sure if the font is the problem or what. Is there a way to do this or do I need some other kind of control or what? Thanks, Tony C. <trx32@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:iu3i94ttheepceuvoqdu4o712509r31jso@4ax.com... > > > Is it possible to align text in columns in a CEdit contro...

Import from Excel
I'm importing a spreadsheet from Excel. My problem is that the column of numbers always imports as text. In using the import wizard it does not allow me to check the data type. It is greyed out with the setting as "text". How do I import numbers? Note that once imported, I have changed to text to numbers but all the numbers loose their precision. Hi Import the data into a temp table - run this through a query and use val function (or change the format) in the query. Use the query to either update or append. HTH -- Wayne Manchester, England. "JeffH"...

Text box positioning
I need any suggestions/ideas on positioning a text box or floating table that has a link to an interchangeable graphic (which changes during a merge process). We have a third party component (Aspose) to convert the merged files to PDF documents. Using Word 2003. When the file merges, the text boxes and graphics appear in the proper position on the bottom of the page. When the file is run through the Aspose process, the boxes reposition to the center of the page. We are told that this product does not support floating tables or text boxes. Any ideas? Thanks, PMS ...