check box #3

I want to put some check boxes on my worksheet.  When the boxes are checked
I want them to be totaled at the end of the column.  I inserted the check
boxes but when I put the formulas for the sum of the columns I get an error
message.  I am guessing that I have to make a positive check box = the value
of one.  Don't have a clue on how to do it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can set up a linked cell for each of the checkboxes.  The way you do that
depends on the type of checkbox you used.

If you used a checkbox from the Forms toolbar, rightclick on it and choose
Format control|Control tab|Cell link.

If you used a checkbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar, then rightclick on it
(in design mode) and choose properties and look for Linkedcell.

After you do that for each toolbar, you can use a formula like:

=countif(a1:a10,True)

(where A1:A10 are 10 linked cells.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks
Dennis
> You can set up a linked cell for each of the checkboxes.  The way you do
> that
> depends on the type of checkbox you used.
>
> If you used a checkbox from the Forms toolbar, rightclick on it and choose
> Format control|Control tab|Cell link.
>
> If you used a checkbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar, then rightclick
> on it
> (in design mode) and choose properties and look for Linkedcell.
>
> After you do that for each toolbar, you can use a formula like:
>
> =countif(a1:a10,True)
>
> (where A1:A10 are 10 linked cells.)
>
> Dennis Miles wrote:
>>
>> I want to put some check boxes on my worksheet.  When the boxes are
>> checked
>> I want them to be totaled at the end of the column.  I inserted the check
>> boxes but when I put the formulas for the sum of the columns I get an
>> error
>> message.  I am guessing that I have to make a positive check box = the
>> value
>> of one.  Don't have a clue on how to do it.  Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Dennis
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Hi!

Sometimes folks set the linked cells to be out of sight. Like, if the
checkboxes are in column A use column AA for the linked cells. Or, you can
hide the linked cell by strategically placing the checkbox over it thereby
hiding the check state. Another thing you can do is simply set the font
color of the linked cells to be the same as the background color.

Biff

"Dennis Miles" <dmiles1818@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks  That worked,   I used the control toolbox.  One more question.  I
> linked the cell, but now It puts true or false in the background of the
> cell.  How do I get it to just show the check box?
>
> Thanks
> Dennis
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> You can set up a linked cell for each of the checkboxes.  The way you do
>> that
>> depends on the type of checkbox you used.
>>
>> If you used a checkbox from the Forms toolbar, rightclick on it and
>> choose
>> Format control|Control tab|Cell link.
>>
>> If you used a checkbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar, then rightclick
>> on it
>> (in design mode) and choose properties and look for Linkedcell.
>>
>> After you do that for each toolbar, you can use a formula like:
>>
>> =countif(a1:a10,True)
>>
>> (where A1:A10 are 10 linked cells.)
>>
>> Dennis Miles wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to put some check boxes on my worksheet.  When the boxes are
>>> checked
>>> I want them to be totaled at the end of the column.  I inserted the
>>> check
>>> boxes but when I put the formulas for the sum of the columns I get an
>>> error
>>> message.  I am guessing that I have to make a positive check box = the
>>> value
>>> of one.  Don't have a clue on how to do it.  Any help would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
biffinpitt (3172)
7/3/2006 4:08:43 AM
A couple more options...

Use a column adjacent to the column with the checkboxes, but hide that column.

Or use the same column, but give the range a custom format of:  ;;;

You'll see the true/false in the formula bar, but it'll be hidden when you're
looking at the worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson
0

That did the trick.

Dennis
>A couple more options...
>
> Use a column adjacent to the column with the checkboxes, but hide that
> column.
>
> Or use the same column, but give the range a custom format of:  ;;;
>
> You'll see the true/false in the formula bar, but it'll be hidden when
> you're
> looking at the worksheet.
>
> Dennis Miles wrote:
>>
>> Thanks  That worked,   I used the control toolbox.  One more question.  I
>> linked the cell, but now It puts true or false in the background of the
>> cell.  How do I get it to just show the check box?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dennis
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > You can set up a linked cell for each of the checkboxes.  The way you
>> > do
>> > that
>> > depends on the type of checkbox you used.
>> >
>> > If you used a checkbox from the Forms toolbar, rightclick on it and
>> > choose
>> > Format control|Control tab|Cell link.
>> >
>> > If you used a checkbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar, then
>> > rightclick
>> > on it
>> > (in design mode) and choose properties and look for Linkedcell.
>> >
>> > After you do that for each toolbar, you can use a formula like:
>> >
>> > =countif(a1:a10,True)
>> >
>> > (where A1:A10 are 10 linked cells.)

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

C# programs startup with an error dialog box
Hello, I have a problem with .NET programs (C# written using Visual Studio 2005) that are running on a particular computer. When I execute the programs, there is a delay followed by a dialog box with the name of the executable on the title bar. There is an error icon with an OK button. There is no other information displayed. After pressing the OK button the application exits. I tried to compile a simple WinForms application. It runs okay on my apps development PC, but when transferred to and run on the other PC, it crashes with the same error. I tried to reload the dot Net 2....

Populate a combo box 02-01-08
I am working in Access 2003 I have a combo box with two columns. It is bound to a yes/no field called "Accept". The forms displays the word "Accepted " in the second column in the combo box) but records -1 or Yes to the "Accept" field. How do I get the report to show the words "Si" or "Accepted" (english and spanish- I will be using two boxes for this) on the report based on what is entered on the form and subseqently the table (the form does a refresh upon opening of the report) Thanks in advance Deb Place a text box on the report, with i...

EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know #3
EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know Hello every body , im be glad to introduce one of the best MLM for every body who wants to explod his/her earning with very simple steps and incredible situation! JUST IMAGINE...... If you achieve only 10% success you will still make $ 143,489.28 If you achieve only 1% success you will still make $ 14,348.928 But If we trust to each other and be serious, reaching to $ 1,434,892.8 is not seem so far,just three or four weeks!! The whole works that you should do : 1) You should open an e-gold account ,th...

check boxes 02-22-10
Hello, I'm trying to insert text boxes into a document. I have found how to add them the problem is I'm getting a gray color behind them and can't find where to get rid of it at. I have tried everything. I knew how to do it in previous versions of word but not in 7. Can anyone help, please and thank you! :) -- Kathy Are you referring to the Check Box Form Field and Text Form Field controls on the Legacy Forms palette (Legacy Tools on the Developer tab)? There is a button on that palette to turn field shading off and on. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Micro...

No account number shown in printed checks
Using Money 2007 Deluxe. Printed a series of checks from MS Mmoney this morning, but the account numbers didn't print on the checks. Each of the payees has an account number entered in the appropriate place, in the "Go to Payees" detail listing. Can't figure out what's going on here! Thanks for any assistance. Dave On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:37:03 -0700, Dave M. <DaveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using Money 2007 Deluxe. > >Printed a series of checks from MS Mmoney this morning, but the account >numbers didn't print on the checks. Each of...

What is the Outlook keyboard shortcut for checking new mail
"Steve Jaeger" <Sjaeger1@elp.rr.com> wrote in message news:043f01c36b5f$468b1110$a601280a@phx.gbl If there is a coded shortcut for a menu item, you will see it on the rightside of the menu. If you open Tools -> Send/Receive -> Send/Receive All, you will see F9 listed on the right. Also, it is considered impolite to use only the Subject line to carry the body of your message. -- ____________________________________________________________ ** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup. ** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address. _________...

Allow Multiple Values check box not showing up
I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup Wizard, but when I get to the place where is should let me choose to store multiple values for the lookup that section does not come up. I went online and printed the instructions off the help page so I know I am doing it right. Help! IMO, multivalued and lookup fields are not a good idea. You didn't mention what version of Access you are using. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mschurter" wrote: > I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup > ...

Extracting macros from a worksheet #3
Gord, Thanks for the info. I have Excel setup to ask me about enabling and disabling macros when opening a worksheet. I've tried both with no luck. I get the same error when attempting to open this file. The workbook that I'm opening has always worked before. That workbook and macros were designed and written by me and they have been working for more that 5 months now. There are only two worksheets in the workbook and I've never had any reason to group them together, however, when the workbook opens with the error, I can see that the two sheets are, in fact, selected. In add...

Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet
I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As i stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot dat as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and char 1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to shee 1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer t sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names. When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference doe not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done? If not, can I create multiple chart titles? Any help o...

Exchange restore #3
Hello friends, I had to restore some lost public folders so I have setup an offline exchange 5.5 server that is similar to the production exchange server server and restored the directory and information store from backup tapes, but now I cannot launch the exchange admin, I get an error message saying that I don't have access rights, when I tried to start information store I get 4021 error code. Please help. Thanks. Don't restore the Directory unless you have a trust to the production domain. If you don't setup the trust you will want to remove / install Exchange again and the...

CRM 3 Email template issue
Greetings all, I have created an email template that includes accountcategorycode in the following context: This customer's SLA is {!Account:Service Level;not set}. When the email is triggered, the text looks like: This customer's SLA is 6. instead of reflecting the label for the value. I'd like it to display: This customer's SLA is <SLA info from the label>. Am I expecting this to function a way that it can't easily? Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. -Sam ...

Drop Down Box Help
Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example. But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column dependin on the choice from the drop down list. e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2 C2 etc filled with related data. Is this at all possible? Thank you in advance -- smcka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582 View this thread: http://www.exc...

Help with formula please #3
Hello, I need a formula that can do the following: -give an average minutes and seconds per phone call This is the data that I will be entering: Calls: 120 Total talk time (hours): 4 Total talk time (minutes): 47 Total talk time (seconds): 52 Thank you Assuming the hours will not be greater than 23. Try this: B1 = 120 B2 = 4 B3 = 47 B4 = 52 =TIME(B2,B3,B4)/B1 Format as m:ss or h:m:ss -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jimmy H" <spokenwords@gmail.com> wrote in message news:658b55fd-93e6-4eea-b11f-585544d97364@m7g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I need a...

Option Buttons Group Box
I am constructing a questionaire with responses from 1 - 5. After using the "group box" tool to group the option buttons for a response to the second question, the response from the first set is eliminated. How do I keep the responses seperate for each set of questions? Also, how do I make the border for the group box disappear? First, did you use the optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar--not the controltoolbox toolbar? (it sounds like you may have mixed and matched your controls.) If you did use optionbuttons from the control toolbox toolbar, you can "group" them b...

Exchange Backup #3
my exchange backup always gives a warning "the backup completed with skipped files" when i open the report i found "Portions of the information store cannot be read. the backed up data is corrupt or incomplete.this file will not restore correctly." any body has a idea how to solve this problem Increase detail level and you should see what is skipped. Also take a look in App Event log. Mahmoud Abouelhassan wrote: > my exchange backup always gives a warning "the backup completed with skipped > files" > when i open the report i found "Portions of ...

scheduled deposit #3
is there a way to schedule a deposit on the 4th wedensday of every month? No. Money's choices for scheduling recurrence are very weak. "mike" <farlem99@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:392401c3fe12$41063c60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > is there a way to schedule a deposit on the 4th wedensday > of every month? ...

Comparing two Columns #3
I have to columns full of data one column is "inventory" and the secon column is "charged items" inventory is what should be on the shel according to the computer, and charged items are the books that ar checked out. So the inventory - charged items would more less give m what "should" be on the shelf according to the computer. So I want column C to list me everything that is in Column A that i not in Column B. Column A is Inventory Column B is charged items (goes up to 6000). After I typed it out it seems very simply I just haven't figured ou how to...

Moving Outlook to a New Computer #3
I use Outlook as my email software, and have a large number of message rules set up to move messages to the correct folders, etc. I am getting a new laptop tomorrow, and want to use it now as the computer I do all my emailing from. I've found info on how to reconnect my old PST file onto the new machine (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010771141033.aspx). My question is whether this will move all of my message rules to the new machine, and what I need to do to create the various folders on the new machine. Can I copy over the old file structure of these folders to the new m...

Checked MenuItem
Thanks for the answers but I still can't get it to work. I've tried that code but it's not working. CMenu Main; Main.LoadMenu(IDR_MAIN_MENU); Main.CheckMenuItem(ID_OPTIONS_ENABLELOGGING, MF_UNCHECKED); What it wrong? Thanks Urban Btw: Sorry for the new topic but my reply function doesn't seem to work Is this menu part of CFrameWnd? If it is, use pCmdUI->SetCheck() to do it in ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI handler of the corresponding menu item. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Urban Stadler" <mail@ustadler.net> wrote in message news:3f5f54...

Lookup remit to address on check history
Is there anyway to get the address the check was mailed to on the Payables Payments Zoom window? i.e. vendor calls because has not received payment and ask where check was mailed. If Remit To on vendor card has changed since check was written there is no way without having a copy of the check to tell to what address the check was sent. ...

Unreadable Comment Boxes
I created a workbook, and some of the cells on the sheets hace comments. The workbook is used by about 10 different people, everyone uses office 2000. When some of us open the workbook and put the pointer over a cell with a comment we see the comment without any problem. 2 or 3 of the people when they put the pointer over a cell with a comment all they see is a black square and they can't read the comment. The sheets are locked. Any Idea why this is happening and how I can fix it so everyone can see the comments? Thank you. -- Gordon Hi Gordon, Q173798 -- XL97: How to Change the Fo...

Anonymous Access Checked off- No incoming email
I have a simple setup regarding email. Mail comes in thru firewall directly to my Exchange 2003 server. I remove the check next to anonymous access in the properties of the SMTP virtual server, I receive no incoming email(UN-checked basic and checked integrated). Everything else works fine. If I leave anonymous access with the check mark, I'm bombarded with folks relaying off me. Anonymous access is not required for any of my systems to function properly. My question is... Should this simple setup work and if so, what am I doing wrong or do I need to implement a more complex envir...

Lost folder #3
All my folders are gone. In outlook express i had a folder right after my drafts it's now gone. How can i find this? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us...

Combo Boxes 12-16-07
Hello, I know how to create combo boxes in a form. The problem I am having is the task I need to perform has so much information that needs to be entered. In summary, I have 65 separate sites with over 260 contractors (EACH SITE HAS 4 CONTRACTORS). I want to create a form where in one combo box/drop down list you can select one of the 65 sites. Then in the next drop down list/combo box based on the previous selection it will give you only 4 contractors to choose from. Is this possible or do I need to do it the long way? Thanks in advance for your help, Dubbs Check out http://ww...

Custom View #3
I have created a custom view that has the items grouped by conversation. My question is; is there a way to filter the view so that it will show only those conversations with a single mail item. To give you a better understanding of what I am after. We have a public folder where questions can be submitted. We are looking for a simply way to identify those questions that have never been responded to. Hence, viewing by conversation and showing only those with a single mail item will be enough to identify those which need to be addressed. ...