Charts & Hidden Data

Hi,

If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the
respective series disappears from the chart.

Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart?

Many thanks,

Jason
0
spam6370 (39)
4/15/2007 6:40:09 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In XL2003 (and before) with chart selected: Tools | Options |Chart and
uncheck the box "Plot visible cells only"

In XL 2007: Follow this path: click the chart; use Chart
Tools|Design|Selected Data; look for button
labelled "Hidden and Empty Cells"; complete dialog box as needed.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jay" <spam@dummyaddress.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the
> respective series disappears from the chart.
>
> Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jason

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
4/15/2007 8:42:35 PM
Don't know if this will help, but it has worked for me on a couple of
occaisions.  I had the "hidden" data in a small corner of the worksheet and
then parked the chart over the top of it. <g>  Not very "elegant" but it
worked.  As far as I know, nobody thought to look under the chart for the
data.

"Jay" <spam@dummyaddress.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I hide the row/columns containing the source data of a chart the
> respective series disappears from the chart.
>
> Is there any way to hide chart source data without affecting the chart?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jason

0
spam1 (174)

Get drive letter for old slave hard drive while keeping data
Hello, My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive, it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it and losing all of my data? Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one, but sh...

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

Transformation of data into columns

How do I make a chart with several times during a day
Hi, This seems like it may be a simple thing, yet I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this (or at least semi-easily with VBing it for a while). I have a simple table filled with the following information (example for simplicity): 12pm 5pm 10pm 11/20 5 4 7 11/21 5 4 7 11/23 5 4 7 11/24 5 4 7 11/25 5 4 7 So basically I am keeping track of a numeric value three times a day. I would like to make a chart of it with...

Data Validation List not showing

survival chart
Hi! Does anybody have an idea how it would be possible to trick Excel into making a survival plot? That is a stepped graph ploting cumulative survival on the y axis and time slots on the x. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Andrej Andrej - I don't have a 'survival plot' per se, but you could look for ideas on my web site. The cumulative probability plot sounds like a possible candidate: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html If it doesn't give you any idea, post back with some typical data, and we'll have a look. - Jo...

Chart "Benchmark" Line Graph Question
I am generating a graph of many team's monthly audit productivity percentages (bar graph) with a "benchmark" (line graph) at 95% (y axis) across 6 month period (x axis). The problem is that the line graph appears on the graph but the ends of the line are centered in the end columns (left & right). Is there as simple way to extend the benchmark line out to the edges of the graph? MJ Have a great day and live life with passion! ...

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Chart printing issue in Excel 2007

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

Range Names with Charts
I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the following formats: rangename =rangename ={rangename] ={"rangename"} .... and various other formats. Surely there is a way to do this ....? Art Hi, try either depending on whether the named range is local to the sheet. =sheetname!rangename =bookname.xls!rangename cheers Andy ArthurJ wrote: > I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but > Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried en...

Column and Line Chart
I am making a Custon Chart using the First -Column and Line Chart. When I setup the chart it makes the last column a point instead of a column. When I go in to change the type of Chart it makes the bar much bigger than the others. I know you can go into Format and decrease/increase width- but I can't believe there is a not a way to tell excel to make this a column on setup so they are all uniformly spaced. How does Excel decide whether it is a point on a line or a bar? -- Thanks, Nikki Hi Nikki - Excel simply splits the number of series between the lines and columns. If you wa...

hidden transactions #2
I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I tried to find out why, I got some greyed out transaction when I went from bill schedule through right click to payee. This transaction cannot be changed or deleted, but in total all such transactions made up the difference in balance. Any suggestions? Oscar -- Elvart In microsoft.public.money, elvigor wrote: >I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off >on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I ...

Area Chart Question
Hello, I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers. Is there a way to show the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without having the totals appear on the area graph itself? John John, Unfortunately the data tables are not going to give you a lot of flexibility. Whatever is in the chart is going to show up on the data table. To get around this restriction, I would suggest creating a data table made of worksheet cells as opposed to using the standard data table. The link below describes the process: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/a_simple...