Charts have X axis at the top?

I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis at the top when showing
expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The worksheet displays expenses
as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.

Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without affecting the display of
these figures?

Thanks,

Richard
0
RThomas1 (4)
4/11/2004 12:34:23 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Richard,

Negative values go downward from the X axis.  If there are no positive
numbers, then the X axis will be at the top.

If you want the Y axis to get more negative as it goes upward, you can do
this:  Make your numbers positive (=-A2, copied down, and use this helper
column for the chart).  Now select the Y axis, Format Axis - Number, Custom.
Put a - in front of whatever the format code is:

-General
-0.00

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Richard" <RThomas@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
> I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis
at the top when showing
> expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The
worksheet displays expenses
> as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.
>
> Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without
affecting the display of
> these figures?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

0
nowhere1083 (630)
4/11/2004 4:19:50 AM
Try double clicking the Y-Axis.  Scale Tab, Click Values in reverse order.

the direction of more negative numbers will be up.

You might want to play with the Patterns Tab, and in the Tic Mark Lables
group, click Low.

Between the Patterns and the Scale Tab, you will have more permutations than
you can keep straight, but one will be what you want.

Stephen Rasey

"Richard" <RThomas@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
> I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis
at the top when showing
> expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The
worksheet displays expenses
> as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.
>
> Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without
affecting the display of
> these figures?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

0
rasey (10)
4/11/2004 4:48:12 AM
Stephen Rasey wrote:

> Try double clicking the Y-Axis.  Scale Tab, Click Values in reverse order.
>
> the direction of more negative numbers will be up.
>
> You might want to play with the Patterns Tab, and in the Tic Mark Lables
> group, click Low.
>
> Between the Patterns and the Scale Tab, you will have more permutations than
> you can keep straight, but one will be what you want.
>
> Stephen Rasey
>

> "Richard" <RThomas@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
>
>>I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis
>
> at the top when showing
>
>>expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The
>
> worksheet displays expenses
>
>>as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.
>>
>>Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without
>
> affecting the display of
>
>>these figures?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Richard

Thank you for the help, but is there a way to simply multiply the data series by -1 (to make the
values positive) in the chart formula ...somewhere?

Richard
0
aol
4/11/2004 4:50:40 PM
Stephen Rasey wrote:

> Try double clicking the Y-Axis.  Scale Tab, Click Values in reverse order.
>
> the direction of more negative numbers will be up.
>
> You might want to play with the Patterns Tab, and in the Tic Mark Lables
> group, click Low.
>
> Between the Patterns and the Scale Tab, you will have more permutations than
> you can keep straight, but one will be what you want.
>
> Stephen Rasey
>

> "Richard" <RThomas@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
>
>>I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis
>
> at the top when showing
>
>>expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The
>
> worksheet displays expenses
>
>>as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.
>>
>>Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without
>
> affecting the display of
>
>>these figures?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Richard

Thank you for the help, but is there a way to simply multiply the data series by -1 (to make the
values positive) in the chart formula ...somewhere?

Richard
0
aol
4/11/2004 4:51:26 PM
You cannot put any formula or minus sign in the SERIES formula.   You would
have to
create another range of cells where you multiply the original values by -1.

Either you plot the minus sign and play with the axis or you use another set
of cells.

Stephen Rasey
Houston

"@aol.msn.net> >" <RThomas\"@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
> Stephen Rasey wrote:
>
> > Try double clicking the Y-Axis.  Scale Tab, Click Values in reverse
order.

> > the direction of more negative numbers will be up.
> >
> > You might want to play with the Patterns Tab, and in the Tic Mark Lables
> > group, click Low.
> >
> > Between the Patterns and the Scale Tab, you will have more permutations
than
> > you can keep straight, but one will be what you want.
> >
> > Stephen Rasey
> >

> > "Richard" <RThomas@aol.msn.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X
Axis

> > at the top when showing
> >
> >>expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The
> >
> > worksheet displays expenses
> >
> >>as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without
> >
> > affecting the display of
> >
> >>these figures?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Richard
> >

> Thank you for the help, but is there a way to simply multiply the data
series by -1 (to make the
> values positive) in the chart formula ...somewhere?
>
> Richard

0
rasey (10)

"X" marks the spot
I am working on a call center checklist and I am trying to get c10 t display "X" when b10 is clicked on, c11 to display "X" when b11 i clicked on, and c12 to display "X" when clicked on. This process wil continue with d10/e10, d11/e11, etc. The sheet sample is included for clarification. Thanks for any help in advance, and a good day to all. Vato Attachment filename: sample.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=61512 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following worksh...

How do I add a secondary axis to a pivot table chart?
Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to add the 2nd axis? Hi, This is chart type dependent. Suppose you have a line chart, right click the series and choose Format Series, the Axis radio button should be available. What type of chart are you using? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dangelor" <dangelor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2610028F-5FAF-4400-A3E3-B7D0CCEFB443@microsoft.com... > Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a > way to add the 2nd axis? ...

Gantt Chart and Critical Path
I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart. What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks. Royce - That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet. Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols, you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1 for your topmost bar, and N...

soften jagged edges of pie charts
I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document Instructions said go to format, click selected data series and click patterns tab then select smoothed line. But the box Smoothed line doesn't exist. Have you tried copying as picture (Shift-Edit-copy as picture)? "zen" wrote: > I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel > but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document > > Instructions said go to format, click selected...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Delete Emails Older Than X Days
Does anyone know if it is possible to configure Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition to delete any emails in a mailbox (not just in the Deleted Items folder, but also in any other folder) if it's older than X days. My company would like to implement a policy where we delete all emails older than 90 days, and individuals are responsible for archiving their emails if they want to keep them for longer than that. Thanks, Tom On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:45:04 -0700, Equilar Tech <techinfo@equilar.com.(donotspam)> wrote: >Does anyone know if it is possible to configure Exchange Serv...

Delete embedded chart, how?
I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? -- Boswell Select the chart, hit the delete button. -- David Biddulph "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:C439A52B-E430-4B40-95DB-1563E22939AF@microsoft.com... >I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? > -- > Boswell ...

Pie Chart color
Hi, Excel 2003. I have a 3 series pie-chart, I simply want to change the color of ONE of the 3 slices in the way I want. Thanks for help. Click the slice; pause; click the slice again, it should now have 'handles' around it. Use Format | Data POINT in menu (if it say Data SERIES, try again) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Freightliner" <freightliner2006@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:87a8c3a5-2d6e-43d2-a0ec-7aa1b25c1296@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Excel 2003. I...

move axes and axis labels behind data points on scatter chart
I'm working with a series of XY scatter charts that all pull data from the same worksheet. They are all copied from the "original" scatter chart and then just have the cell references changed so that the formatting stays consistent across the series. (The charts will be shown sequentially and I don't want anything changing other than the location of the data points.) However, on some of the charts, the axis and/ or the axis label appers on top/ in front of some of the data points and behind/ under other data points (which is what I want - the axes and labels behind th...

Formatting Chart Category Labels
I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report that addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance, quality, efficiency and customer satisfaction. Each category has 4-7 data elements, so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart. There will be 2 sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the data elements and the graph itself. I envision this as a relatively easy way for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance indicators. So far so good - input form, c...

Charting Problem #2
I have a problem with charting a Dynamic chart. I goes ok to set up the dynamic function as a range. It also shows the correct series. The range is as follows: =OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1;1;Sheet3!$P$2-1;COUNTA(INDIRECT("C"&Sheet3!$P$2;FALSE));1) Where P2 is an input from a listbox, and the name of the range is: Sheet3!Dato. When I try to change the reference for the series i get the following message: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again." The serie...

Which 'event' to run pivot chart formatting code on file open?
Greetings I have code to change my pivot chart type to a mix of line and column also to refomat colours I need to run the code so that the user sees the changes when the file is opened Ive tried the 'workbook open' event and the chart activate event but noy joy so far. (Once the file is open, manualy triggering the code works perfectly) Any ideas? Thanks I don't know why workbook_open doesn't work. You could use Application.OnTime to run your code a short time (like 2 sec) after the workbook opens. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://Peltier...

Adding a horizontal line to a Pivot Chart
I can't get a horizontal line added to a pivot chart (column or line) by using the series method. Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to add the horizontal line to show things like the mean and standard deviation. Thanks in advance. Sharon - Pivot charts don't allow you to include data that's not in the pivot table, and I think it only allows a very limited number of combination charts, if any. Sorry to disappoint. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ sharonc wrote: > I can't get ...

Autoscale a Line Chart to stack the curves
hello! To compare financial market assets moves I use a single chart with 2 series. The chart has 2 vertical axes and the scales are pretty different in term of values. The autoscale works fine on both axes. My queston is: How do I translate a curve onto the other so that they get "stacked", to be easily compared at a glance ? Any VBA function or sub is welcome... Thx This post might help. It shows how to calculate a proportional axis on a dual-axis chart. The effect is to plot the movement of one series against another to see how well they are correlated. Because each...

Chart Legend Items: hide/show
How do I hide/show a series on a chart legend (scatter plot.) I tried a null string (""), but the trace still shows. I also tried #N/A. But it then shows "#N/A"; the same with function: NA(). What I am trying to do is to have a control button to show or hide a series from the chart. I can set all the series values to #N/A which hides it, but I am having trouble trying to hide the legend for the series. I also tried an "if" function in the chart->series dialog, but It evidently will only accept a cell pointer. "Jon Peltier" <jonREMOVExlmvp@p...

Excel 2007 Bar and Line chart on 2 Axes
I used Excel 2003 to create a "bar and line chart on 2 axes" and now have 2007. I can't find where or how to create these charts using Excel 2007. Can someone tell me how to do it? Start here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102004991033.aspx Then Google "Excel 2007 chart"; look at a few sites Then come back here with specific questions and we will help you get it right. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How do you do set up a hierarchy chart in PP 7
I'm trying to set up a hierarchy chart in PP7 but the template presented doesn't allow me to add boxes below with a direct line. Sometimes I get a slanted line and I can't delete it. ...

split bar chart
I need to create a bar chart using the following data: Column1 = 2 (value inside cell) Column2 = 3 (value inside cell) Coumn3 = 5 (=column1 + column2) Here's the layout I'm looking for: bar1 would start at 0(zero) and stop at 2 bar2 would start at 3 and stop at 5 (nothing would show below 3 for this bar) It's pretty much a stacked bar graph but each "stack" would be in its own column. Thanks! Not sure if it is what you need but goto www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips and look at Column Chart with a Difference best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/p...

Broken lines in a chart to display extreme values?
Sometimes a single extreme value causes the rest of the data to become too small, like a bar chart of the values (10000, 4, 3, 2, 4, 5). The way to avoid is to use broken lines where the axis makes a leap from 10 to 9990 with a dotted gap inbetween. I couldn't find a way to implement this in Excel. Is there a way? Hi, It is not a built in option but can be constructed. http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm Cheers Andy Metin Örsel wrote: > Sometimes a single extreme value causes the rest of the data to become too > small, like a bar chart of the values (10000,...

Chart Data Source
Hi, Thanks in advance. How do I get the data source of a chart and put it in a varable with VBA code? Thanks Trev B -- Trev B Excel 2007 Chart VBA Get source range from chart. http://www.mediafire.com/file/mozmw2mmnrk/12_16_09.xlsm ...

Flying Bricks Chart
Hi! Could anybody, please, give me the table with formulas, i.e. source for creating Flying bricks chart, or detailed decription of how to build one. Thanks, Irada -- Irada Shamilova ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Irada Shamilova's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12286 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401132 Is this what you want: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Brickyard.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutoria...

Pie Chart: want separate chart for each "RN"
Hi All. I have a report, which contains numerous amounts of data, so there are several subreport in the main report. Each subreport is broken out by "RN". The subreports contain rows of data, counts & percentages. Everything works fine, EXCEPT, the Pie Chart subreport. It is pulling in ALL "RN" #'s, making a very ugly pie chart. So, I want to run the data once for a "TEAM" of "RN's" but have the report separate out as many different reports as there are "RN's". Which it does this for ALL OTHER pieces of data, excep...

Check Format with Check on top check/stub/stub
I'm trying to print checks with the check on top and two stubs on bottom. I've followed KB864284, but my check still come out stub/check/stub. I've given myself access to the modified report in security and changed the check format in payables. Nothing works. HELP! I'm on GP 9.0 mf Have you given yourself access to the actual modified check? The modified check neds to have a * by it (security, user - correct compnay, Modified reports, Purchasing) "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E11A5373-6EAC-48DF-8678-281879FF57BC@mi...

Only chart numerical values, not error values
In my data series I am using NA() in a formula so that #N/A shows up in the cell. From the website listed below I thought that this would not chart the error values but my charts are still conecting all my marks. Can Excel only show my MIN/MAX marks? =IF($B2=MAX($B2:$B$1562),$B2,NA()) http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FormatMinMax.html Thanks! Hi, If you have #N/A in the cell then the point will not be plotted. But if there is a valid data point(s) after it then the line will be plotted to join those points interpolating the gap in between. It will not leave put a break in the line....

Multiple line charts
Hi there, I'm pretty new with plotting charts, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to make a graph with the following: Along the X-Axis will be the years 2000-2006 Along the Y-Axis will be numbers ranging from 0-28 I would also like another Y-Axis (on the right side of the chart) to have numbers from 900-1800 I'm trying to make a graph that will show that the number of members has declined over the years, while the number of people in the community has been increasing. Here are my columns Year - Members - Population 2000 - 22 - 961 2001 -...