Charting Dow vs. Portfolio with dates

Given three columns - the date, say 30 to 90 days, the Dow Average over the
same time, and a portfolio value, how can they appear in a sensible fashion?
The Dows is about 10,000 and the portfolio is over 1,000,000, and the dates
are 7/1/04 etc.  I get two very distinct lines for the first two and
gibberish for the dates.  How to Handle?  Please comment.

0
oldred1 (52)
8/15/2004 10:59:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you have a heading in the date column, delete it
Select a cell in the table, and click the Chart Wizard button
Create a line chart from the data
Right-click on the portfolio line
Choose Format Selected Series
On the Axis tab, select Secondary Axis
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/16/2004 12:51:53 AM
"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If you have a heading in the date column, delete it
> Select a cell in the table, and click the Chart Wizard button
> Create a line chart from the data
> Right-click on the portfolio line
> Choose Format Selected Series
> On the Axis tab, select Secondary Axis
> Click OK
>
> Old Red One wrote:
> > Given three columns - the date, say 30 to 90 days, the Dow Average over
the
> > same time, and a portfolio value, how can they appear in a sensible
fashion?
> > The Dows is about 10,000 and the portfolio is over 1,000,000, and the
dates
> > are 7/1/04 etc.  I get two very distinct lines for the first two and
> > gibberish for the dates.  How to Handle?  Please comment.
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Many thanks!  Yet both lines have data points rater than being just smooth
lines.  How do I get rid if the data points?

0
oldred1 (52)
8/16/2004 2:42:58 AM
Select the chart
Choose Chart>Chart Type
Select the Line Chart category, and the sub-type without markers

Old Red One wrote:
> "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>If you have a heading in the date column, delete it
>>Select a cell in the table, and click the Chart Wizard button
>>Create a line chart from the data
>>Right-click on the portfolio line
>>Choose Format Selected Series
>>On the Axis tab, select Secondary Axis
>>Click OK
>>
>>Old Red One wrote:
>>
>>>Given three columns - the date, say 30 to 90 days, the Dow Average over
>>
> the
>
>>>same time, and a portfolio value, how can they appear in a sensible
>>
> fashion?
>
>>>The Dows is about 10,000 and the portfolio is over 1,000,000, and the
>>
> dates
>
>>>are 7/1/04 etc.  I get two very distinct lines for the first two and
>>>gibberish for the dates.  How to Handle?  Please comment.
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
>>http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
>>

> Many thanks!  Yet both lines have data points rater than being just smooth
> lines.  How do I get rid if the data points?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

REPORTS: Sales vs. Tender -- difference ???
How do you define what is a Tender report? Better yet, what is the difference between the Detailed Sales Report and the Miscellaneous/Tender report? The numbers are always different and completely off... Shouldn't they be exactly the same? Sales represent the product portion of the sale only, not Tax or Shipping. Tenders represent it all. TomT "Zorian" <Zorian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA18862F-5D03-4104-B132-AD5D63703565@microsoft.com... > How do you define what is a Tender report? Better yet, what is the > difference between the D...

Need Design Direction for Charting Spread Sheet
Here's the big picture. Design an Excel spreadsheet that will import a csv data file that is 575 colums wide (fields) and 720 rows (records) that I can then graph. Now the details. The purpose is to be able to graph historical data that is collected every two minutes (720 rows a day) for 575 different pieces of equipment, and I will only need to graph a couple things at a time. I started doing this through Access and imported the file into a 2-D Array since there is the 256 column (field) limit, then just pulled the data I needed out of the array and put it into a table which I could u...

Removing duplicate records based off of date
Is there a way to look at a group of records where some have been duplicated and for those that are duplicated , keep the most current date (keeping that row of data)? The records have a unique record number to identify if record is a duplicate and I also have a record month/yr which would be different for the duplicate records, please see example.. Note there are additional columns but did not think necessary to list for the example. I am also using Excel 2007 record # record month/yr RT123 10/1/2009 RT123 11/1/2009 RT123 ...

Adjust start dates by x days
I have a standard plan that has duration and start dates set based on the project starting on x date. I want to reuse this plan for a later date e.g. 120 days later. I know how to adjust start date and for all those tasks that are linked the plan shifts as expected. However for the tasks that arent linked as expected the start dates do not change. Is there a macro or a way to change a set of tasks that are not linked? -- jphccfc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jphccfc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/209537.htm View thi...

Date Formula #3
Is there a simple way to lookup a value using the day of the week a the criterion? From a list of dates, I want to see if there is statistical correlation if a certain event happens every, say, Tuesda rather than another day of the week. Something like this: A Mon. 5/17 Tues. 5/18 Wed. 5/19 (etc.) I want to lookup all values in this range that fall on Tuesday. tried AutoFilter/Custom/Contains but that didn't work. Can this b done? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Looking at your dates I see they are text and not True dates. In this case try AutoFil...

MATCH command does not work with dates
Hi, I have 2 excel worksheets assuming "sheet1" and "sheet2". example: Sheet1: user date1 date2 date3 date4 date5...dateN AA BB CC Sheet2: user data date1 date2 date3 date4 date5 dateN AA total 100 102............................................. AA mean 30 32.............................................. AA Average 31 35................................................ CC total........................................................................ CC mean..................................................

Kaplan-Meier survival chart
I need to create Kaplan-Meier survival charts, which is available in other spreadshhet tools. I am looking for an add-in to Excel (Office XP) or may instruction how to create them in standard Excel Hi David, If you are looking for a stepped line chart then try either of these two examples. Tushar's Step Function, (http://www.tushar-mehta.com/) or my own page on step charts, (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) David Furst wrote: > I need to create Kaplan-Meier survival charts, which is available in other spreadshhet tools. > I am looking for an add-in to Excel (Offi...

Excel 2002. How do you reorder a chart legend?
Double click one of the data series and change the order on the Series Order tab. Note you can only change the order within the same chart type and on the same axis. Cheers Andy YellowShaftedFlicker wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Remove automatic date formatting
Does anyone know how to turn off the feature that automatically turns anything that remotely looks like a date (ex: 01-01) into an actual date? I don't want to have to format the cells or sheets every time, or to have to add a space or ' in the cell, I just want to turn the automatic feature OFF. -- vaillancourt_ch ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vaillancourt_ch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32751 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=525832 No way but the ones y...

SQL Connection from VS 2008 Express to SQLExpress database
I'm recieving the error "Logon Failed For User". Everything looks right to me, so I am unsure what could be wrong. Here is the connection string I am using in my vb code: connectionString2 = "Server=MyComputer\SQLEXPRESS;Database=adatabasename;User ID=auserid;Password=apassword" The SQLExpress version is 2008 R2. Can you think of anything I should check besides the user account and password, which seems fine? I am able to connect to the database just fine with my windows authentication. It is a newly created database that I imported from ano...

VS validator error with two xsd schema definitions in one file
I am using an IWsdlExportExtension-Handler in my WCF webservice to get a wsdl file without schema imports (called Flat WSDL). The resulting WSDL file consists of multiple XML Schemas with different namespaces in one file. A type of schema1 references a type of schema2 in a different namespace (schmema2 is imported by schema1). But Visual Studio seems not to accept the definition, showing me following warning "Type 'Namespace2:ArrayOfValidationDetail' is not declared." I created a short XML test file, that reproduces this error with two schemas: <?xml ve...

Formula to give special date format but with addition?
To get this format of date in cell B1, with my abbreviated days: 071117.Sa I was given the cell formula of this: =IF(A2<>"",TEXT(A2,"yymmdd.")&CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(A2),"Sn","Mn","Tu","Wd","Th","Fr","Sa"),"") It's straightforward because it just copies the date from A2 into the correct date format for the purpose needed in this particular sheet. However, I have some addition in another cell where I'd like to slightly change the date format to our particular format to standardize the ...

Copying a date format
when I've copied one cell (formatted in mmm-dd) into a different worksheet within the same workbook, I'm getting wierd results. For instance, From worksheet A, I've copied cell C1 (which is Oct-04) into worksheet B, cell A2. It copies fine, but when I go to change the date to 05/05, it comes out as Jan-00. The actuals cell now reads =05/2005. However, it's still formatted for the date. But I've never actually inputed an = sign. I've tried to just to special paste the format, but still get the same results. Any thoughts? Michele from Nextel Take a look at ...

Line in a chart
I have a line-chart that plots multiple series of dollar amounts(y-axis) against time(x-axis). I want to add a vertical line that indicates the current date which moves along the x-axis as the days or weeks pass. I'm using Excel 2002. TIA. Cheers, AA. Jon Peltier has instructions for adding a vertical line to a chart: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine Alex wrote: > I have a line-chart that plots multiple series of dollar > amounts(y-axis) against time(x-axis). I want to add a > vertical line that indicates the current date w...

Date/Time class
I have date in this format as a string: 2005-01-06T08:31:29.016Z . Which class I should use to compare it with current time? CTime. - MR "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:%23$IAg698EHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > I have date in this format as a string: 2005-01-06T08:31:29.016Z . > Which class I should use to compare it with current time? > You can use CTime or COleDateTime but which ever one you use you'll need to parse out the T and Z. Since this is Zulu time I assume it's 24 hour time. Personally, I would ...

no data printed in chart with more than 2709 data points
when i try to print a chart that contains more than 2709 data points i get a complete chart only no lines to connect my data points. the points are displayed if i have them enabled, i have tried printing to pdf, and several printers. the problem only shows up with 2710 data points or more ...

Another date handling question variant
Hi, I want to specify time+date and adjust them by timezone, but cannot see how to do this without laborious formulae. I've seen the other time/data tips on this site (v.good thanks), but they don't seem to cover this scenario. what I want to do: Column1: Time, format: dd-mmm-yy [hh]:mm eg: 26-feb-04 03:46 Column2: TZ offset, format: num (0 DP) eg: 5 Column3: Adjusted Time, format: dd-mmm-yy [hh]:mm formula: Col1 + (Col2/24) eg: 26-feb-04 08:46 ie. I want the basic number of TZ offset to increment the original time but that number of hours. Of course, it doesn't work, the e...

date track based on svc cond.
Hello, I'm looking to track material out for repair by the type of service requested. In cell (G:2) will be the type of service: BCK = bench check = this will have a projected return date (I:2)within three days of the repair order date (H:2) REP = repaired = This will have a projected return date (I:2) within 7 days of the repair order date (H:2) OVH = overhaule = this will have a projected return date (I:2) within 14 days of the repair order date. With all this I would also like to include the warranty schedule from the date of the service reurn date(J2) BCK= no warranty REP= 90...

Selecting data from different cells for a chart
This is a little difficult to word without showing a picture of the data, but I'm wondering if there is a way to select data from different cells for a chart. The difficulty is that I have multiple sets of data that are organized in a series of cells..I'll see if I can explain this. Relative to the top of each box of data (box contains between 2 and 4 rows, with 6 columns across), the first cell I need (a data label) would be at 0,0. The second cell I need to pull from would be at 6,3 (6 columns to the right and 3 rows down). I need to pull this data repeatedly into a chart...

how do i make pie chart ignore data labels where value is zero?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a pie chart tracking the amount of time spent in a day. I have lots of possible categories and i certainly don't use them all each day, and the chart shows a bunch of overlapping labels in between slices if their value is zero. Does anyone know how to make the chart exclude these labels? <br><br>Thanks in advance! On 4/7/10 1:02 PM, Steppenwolf@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I have a pie chart tracking t...

Charts that don't change size
I have 2 charts on a sheet, each representing different data, one on top of the other. I would like the plot areas to line up with each other. I can do this easily with no data, but when data is added, one will be bigger or smaller than the other. There is new data added every month and no matter how hard I try to keep them aligned, they just keep changing sizes!! The chart is not the problem, it's just the plot area. Is there a way to lock the plot area size, whether there is data in it or not? Thanks I think -- but I am not sure -- you could write a macro that aligns the plot areas. ...

charting non-contiguous data #2
Hi all, Can someone tell me how to add non-contiguous data to a chart. My data is in B21, G21, L21........IR21. Ideally, the chart would auto-update to include data as it is entered on a weekly basis. Thanks! Running out of weeks, since the last day goes into IV21. Ideally, you would set up a contiguous chart data range in another sheet, or in another part of this sheet, which links to the discontiguous data. The problem is that the individual cells of your chart data are stored as a sheet name and cell address in the series formula, taking a dozen or more characters per cell, and you...

POPULATING DATES IN A CALENDAR
I have 7 worksheets with a list of trucks from different plants that need painting throughout the year. I wish to enter a date next to the truck number in one worksheet and then have that date be colored (or better yet have the truck number appear) in a 12 row 31 column calendar in another worksheet. My goal is to quickly see which dates I have open to schedule our paint shop to paint a truck. Thanks in advance for any help. ...

Help programming new chart into a new worksheet
How do i set the chart location to create a new sheet called "RiskMatrix" the first time the create chart button is pressed and then have it replace the old "RiskMatrix" chart everytime it is pressed again. Here is my Code Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Sheets("Report").Activate Dim WS As Worksheet Dim Cht As Chart Dim Rng As Range Dim iRow As Long Set WS = ActiveSheet Set Cht = Charts.Add Cht.ChartType = xlXYScatter Set Rng = WS.Range(WS.Range("A2"), WS.Range("A2").End(xlDown)) For iRow = 2 T...

How do you center the pie chart on the chart sheet
my default pie chart is way off center on the chart sheet. Do you know how to center it? Click and drag the plot area (click outside the pie, but inside the square that circumscribes it). There's no button to center the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Martie" <Martie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:946A878A-DF95-4A27-8EAF-5F92AA61150B@microsoft.com... > my default pie chart is way off center on the chart sheet. Do you know > how &...